Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Just read issue 284. Holy freaking shiz that was BRUTAL for the Freedom Fighters. And Skelly's pencilling is getting better! 
Also OH NO NICOLE! 

Also Also, Aleah Baker's off panels are better than Eric's off panels. Evan Stanley pencilling it made it better too!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't Sally original in SATAM priggish and finicky, also sometimes too meticulous for her own good? I would not mind see those flaws of her in comics.

Just now, blade57331 said:

Wasn't Sally original in SATAM priggish and finicky, also sometimes too meticulous for her own good? I would not mind see those flaws of her in comics.

Knowing how much people complain about how perfect and mary sue she is, heck no. It would be interesting, but no.

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Knowing how much people complain about how perfect and mary sue she is, heck no. It would be interesting, but no.

Right now I think the way they're playing down Sally's "Perfect Princess" character with small, throwaway details is the best route to go down.  Being terrible at cooking and struggling with stage fright aren't massive leaps, but they are the right steps forward.

12 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

Right now I think the way they're playing down Sally's "Perfect Princess" character with small, throwaway details is the best route to go down.  Being terrible at cooking and struggling with stage fright aren't massive leaps, but they are the right steps forward.

Plus, there's the whole "Way too reckless and willing to throw herself headfirst into danger for the sake of others" thing. Though I personally find this new aspect of her character interesting; it's like working with Sonic for so long made his cockiness rub off on her, but she doesn't have the same amount of ridiculous speed and powers to get away with such behavior.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Plus, there's the whole "Way too reckless and willing to throw herself headfirst into danger for the sake of others" thing. Though I personally find this new aspect of her character interesting; it's like working with Sonic for so long made his cockiness rub off on her, but she doesn't have the same amount of ridiculous speed and powers to get away with such behavior.

Now that you mention it, it does harken back to the idea of them being not so different.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

That works too.  What's interesting it played out vice versa in the preboot, when Sonic started taking on the role of tactician leader with Team Fighters.  Not sure if that was intentional, but I like how in two universes, at least one of their personalities rubs off on the other.

I wonder if they will ever make Sally (or any of the "good guys") do a major screwup that make her learn something or someone calls out on. Like, not the small flaw or mistakes that other characters reassure and say it's not her fault, but something that everyone know she is wrong.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but it would be interesting to see "good guys do something terrible, others change their view on them, either don't realize or realize when too late, and suffer long-term consequence" type development in this comic.

1 hour ago, blade57331 said:

I watched Satam 3 times (i's a short show) and I don't recall any time that Sally was "too meticulous", which caused her any trouble. If anything, her biggest mistakes happen when she got emotional (second episode, Griff).

Anyway, i read 284. Very first page and I looooooooooooooooooove Skelly drawing. That Phage, that Metal, that Kuku Lord! I think I'm going to look for other places she draws. However, I will say that there are very few moments her art got a bit too chaotic for me to get what's going on, like Speedy Vs Sally fight.

As for the story, it's so fast, so intense, so exciting. Biggest suspire being of course Nigel kicking ass. I'm kinda disappointing that Cream/big and Eggman aren't in this issue (alternative cover is a LIE!), but I understand why it it;s this way.

Obviously I love what I got, BUT, my excitement kinda depends on the later issue. Will Metal and Hooligans do anything more in next issues? Or Phage? We still have Egg Dragoon and Dark Gaia to show up and so far only one villain went down. I wouldn't mind if Nack just take his payment and leave (it fits his style and he had his 5 minutes), but Withcarters didn't to anything. I would hope for more of Metal and Gemerl too.

8 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I wonder if they will ever make Sally (or any of the "good guys") do a major screwup that make her learn something or someone calls out on. Like, not the small flaw or mistakes that other characters reassure and say it's not her fault, but something that everyone know she is wrong.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but it would be interesting to see "good guys do something terrible, others change their view on them, either don't realize or realize when too late, and suffer long-term consequence" type development in this comic.

Something like this, I suppose?

ECsvUZ.gif

12 hours ago, blade57331 said:

That was her in the early comics, back when it was all silly and cartoony.

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

*gif-only post*

Posts containing images, gifs, or one word only are against the rules we have here at the SSMB as these are considered to be spam. The removal of your initial posting of this gif should of indicated this wasn't acceptable and yet you posted this again. While you are free to use images and gifs in your posts, that should not be the only thing your posts contain as this is a discussion board. So please actually contribute to the discussion at hand with at least a written sentence that is relevant to the topic and use images and gifs if you wish to add on to or enhance your point, not serve as your point in a topic. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Kiah said:

Posts containing images, gifs, or one word only are against the rules we have here at the SSMB as these are considered to be spam. The removal of your initial posting of this gif should of indicated this wasn't acceptable and yet you posted this again. While you are free to use images and gifs in your posts, that should not be the only thing your posts contain as this is a discussion board. So please actually contribute to the discussion at hand with at least a written sentence that is relevant to the topic and use images and gifs if you wish to add on to or enhance your point, not serve as your point in a topic. 

Oooh! I'm sorry, I legimately thought my browser glitched or something. I apoligize and will try keep that in mind in the future!

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

*Cough*

Rouge in TreasureTeamTango

Blaze had a bit of faith in humanity built up. Between Sonic helping her out a few times, Shadow helping her protect her world from Metal, and Amy being selfless enough to pitch herself into the quest for the local Sol Emerald - Rouge in her crafty took advantage of that and stabbed Blaze right in the back. Twisted the knife a couple of times too.

Sure Shadz and Omega followed suit, but even with her slight repentance at the end of the arc when it became blatantly clear that she was in the wrong, both Amy and Blaze had to come away from that turn of events with a not so clean set of words for their bat friend. That's going to be a mark on that relationship for some time to come.

Rouge's manipulative, greedy and overall single track minded character qualities were on full display. Those very qualities ended up blowing up in her face, and the next time Blaze come's around that lot should prove to be pretty interesting.

But...that was pre-reboot. If it did happen in some form post-reboot, it would have played out differently by the very virtue of post-reboot Rouge not being characterised like that. And Amy doesn't seem to have anything to say to Rouge about it in Shattered, so I'd just assume it didn't happen. 

54 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Something like this, I suppose?

ECsvUZ.gif

Yes! Those episodes actually came to my mind when I was typing the previous post; they were very good.

21 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

(explanation of Rogue in TTT)

Well, I don't know if she counts because while she is occasionally categorized as the good guy and becomes nice depending on the situation (which make her being a jerk to Blaze kinda ooc to me), she is supposed to be a sneaky jewel thief. 

I was kinda talking about the goody good guys, like Sonic, Tails, Amy, etc. and the Freedom Fighters. Characters that you don't expect to do something horrible to others. Especially the freedom fighters, because it provide opportunity for both character development and plot(-device).

ehh, I  thought it was ooc for Rouge to be okay with planetwide destruction of Blaze's world just to have a gem. And she didnt even learn or repented, more like Shadow and Omega forced her to give up the Sol Emerald 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, that was the one black mark of Rouge that definitely wasn't in line. As ruthless and devious as Rouge could be, she has a heart and wouldn't risk lives she could avoid.

Agree that this was a bad idea from Flynn. Maybe Rouge should not even know what will happen or something? One bad thin in otherwise stellar SU arc.

But even then, this isn't same situation as this SU giff. Pearl did something wrong, and she regrets that. Plus that damaged the trust she had with Garnet.

Rouge didn't had "what have I done" moment, plus she planned to back stab Blaze from begin with.

I guess Flynn has just problem with coming with 'morally gray' scenarios for Team Dark. Except Total Eclipse I can't really thing about anything in this category (Okay, Rouge is a thief but 1 stealing isn't morally gray, it just means she jumps from one to the other 2 when was the last time she stole anything not from Eggman? I think she gave up this job, but doesn't want to admit it to keep her reputation)

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But even then, this isn't same situation as this SU giff. Pearl did something wrong, and she regrets that. Plus that damaged the trust she had with Garnet.

Rouge didn't had "what have I done" moment, plus she planned to back stab Blaze from begin with.

I was referring to KoDaiko's suggestion about Saly(who has a similar personality) or one of the other heroes.

Okay, so I'll address the issue with doing it to one of the heroes, then.

With the Freedom Fighters, you have mandates to work around, and a betrayal story like that would be quite awkward. None of the game characters can do it; even in Lost World, the consequences of the fight/the botched rescue in SIlent Forest were very short term, and not exactly derived from them doing anything blatantly "wrong", and I don;t think SEGA would allow it to mark their image for that long. 

If the comic characters do it, it'd be a little easier but then you'd still have to factor in that the game heroes wouldn't likely be shown as to distrust them for that long, so you'd have to do some shimmying with that. 

25 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

you'd still have to factor in that the game heroes wouldn't likely be shown as to distrust them for that long, so you'd have to do some shimmying with that. 

...what about Espio?

Is a perfect example of what I mean, yes. Thank you for bringing it up.

So you have Espio revealed to have been spying on the Chaotix for another group for a long time, which culminates in him betraying them when the Iron Dominion arc comes rolling around. Some heavy stuff is revealed, and the betrayal involves someone who is extremely easy to distrust and make sure you never forget it (lest we forget Vector's treatment of Julie-Su). NICOLE had to go through some hard times because of her betrayal, and she was brainwashed, so it should be a lot harder for Espio to claw his way back into favour.

...And then the mandates came a lot harder onto the comic in #236, and that storyline was absolutely neutered. The next time we even see Espio with the Chaotix, it's reduced to some snide comments, but not really any change in behaviour, and then the reboot happened so whatever was left hanging was at that point known to be something that would never be touched on again. I really doubt the Chaotix would be allowed to be separated like that again post-reboot. 

OH OH OH! I just thought of something!

You know how Eggman apparently has a new roboticization technique waiting behind the scenes?

What if what they're hinting at is...

latest?cb=20131104123657

• Thumbs Up 4

36 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

With the Freedom Fighters, you have mandates to work around, and a betrayal story like that would be quite awkward. None of the game characters can do it; even in Lost World, the consequences of the fight/the botched rescue in SIlent Forest were very short term, and not exactly derived from them doing anything blatantly "wrong", and I don;t think SEGA would allow it to mark their image for that long. 

If the comic characters do it, it'd be a little easier but then you'd still have to factor in that the game heroes wouldn't likely be shown as to distrust them for that long, so you'd have to do some shimmying with that. 

You do have a point there. I wasn't thinking much about the game heroes being the one to do a mistake because as you said it's hard to handle them with mandates.

It doesn't have to be a complete "betrayal" that cause distrust in everyone, and while I said long-term it can be an 4 issue arc-length if the problem isn't that serious.

Two members can have a breakup due to disagreement/misunderstanding in certain topic (like the meaning of fusion in SU), maybe someone will temporarily leave the FF (they are still good guys, just not FF anymore), someone calls out their friend on their terrible action; or no one does and end up in a major screwup they need to learn the hard way, they do something that loses a third party's trust...heck, the whole FF can get a bad reputation from one or all of their action and have to gradually earn their trust back.

I just want something that's not good vs. evil, hero vs. rival. Something that tells you even the good guy can do bad things, and how they handle or react to it.