Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Thanks for all the replies, didn't realise that the bible for the SatAM series had that much of the stuff they ended up using in the comics. Nice to see they went that extra mile incorporating things that didn't get used in the show itself as it aired. I'll have to look up what info there is about the bible and give it a once over at some point, sounds interesting.

18 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

The way I see it, if Eclipse wasn't so lonely, he wouldn't try to recruit Shadow so much. It wasn't a strategic thinking it was "I am so different from my own people, none of them understands me. Except this Shadow guy, I'm just like him". (Same reasons why Dark Arms aren't part of the linked mind.) That's why he sheds a tear in SU 68. I wasn't "I lost a good weapon" it was "my own brother wants to kill me".

But we can just agree on disagreeing, whatever.

Its dont think its loneliness, he by virtue of relation of be related sees shadow in some way family. And all he has known to this point, is that what he is, is superior to other species. And when he sees shadow actively identifying as not black arms and fighting against that. Its...wrong to him. His family is doing something wrong, he needs to fix it. He needs to teach him, he belives that ny virtue of being who he is, he is of a higher cast in life. And shadow is too, to him, and he should act like it. And world eating desire that would fuel such a mentality.

So yes it is " my own brother wants to kill me" but this isnt lonleyness, this is a non understanding. He cant litterally comprehend after his whole life being told they are the end all be all of evrrything, being on the hypothetical top of a cosmic level food chain, they get almost taken out in an instant. By one of their own, but they are suppoused to be special. Shadow throws a giant wrench in that mentality. Not only is he not a complete black arms, shadow wants nothing to do with them. Shadow is wrong he must fix or kill him, which he was ready to do btw. Someone concerened about being alone wouldnt kill the only person he has a connection with on the planet, kiddnap sure. And if that happens and he tries to "educate" shadow, ill concede. But as of currently i dont think its any lonelyness about it. Because if he fixes shadow, he's special and everything goes back to normal, he's special again. This is a character coming to terms with the smallness of his existance in a greater world and universe by being forcibly ripped from his safe zone and thrown into a litterally uncaring world.

Or its a silly alien and he jusr doesnt like shadows face or something. And im deadicating far too much time talking about it and wasting yours. I am sorry.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Oh, right, this went under the radar.

CpS-Od1VIAIKoN7.jpg

This is Yardley working on #288.

Good grief, I absolutely love this rendition of Classic Sonic. It has so much attitude. (Personally I've always associated Classic Sonic with having tons of attitude, not just being cute...though he is super cute here too <3) It's beautiful ;-;

It's funny, I was just thinking the other day how I wasn't as sold on Tracey Yardley as I used to be due to all the other good artists on the book now, and this comes up as a reminder of his talent...x3

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

CpS-Od1VIAIKoN7.jpg

Edit: And this went really under the radar;

Cm34uXSWAAA1bYf.jpg

These are Vin's notes from a discussion with Ian about future storylines. Most of it devolved into doodles and laundry, but there's a tiny bit still interesting - a line of text going "S1 S2 GG Chaotix (well, misspelled but eh)" and "Tails" underneath S1 and S2. 

I don't...really understand what that last pic is supposed to be...

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I don't...really understand what that last pic is supposed to be...

It's a page of notes from Vin discussing future storyline ideas with Ian. Most of it became just doodles, but some text remains.

Personally? Given that Genesis of a Hero and the Chaotix arc are running concurrently, I think the whole "S1 S2 GG and Tails" thing might allude to what GoaH will cover. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Those only covered two out of half a dozen GG games, so there's still room to explore. Plus, with Tails being in the middle of S1 and S2, there might be a bit dedicated to how Sonic and Tails met in between those games. Possibly. 

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Those only covered two out of half a dozen GG games, so there's still room to explore. Plus, with Tails being in the middle of S1 and S2, there might be a bit dedicated to how Sonic and Tails met in between those games. Possibly. 

But Ian already said they met before Sonic 1.

And the flashback in part 1 of Eggman's Dozen revealed that Sonic 2 GG happened after Genesis Sonic 2. 

Ah, well, maybe it'll show Tails' first adventure then, or something.

Also I know about Sonic 2 GG happening after Sonic 2, it was the Lovesick Sonic adaptation mentioned about hence why I said only two of six (so it was mentioned in Champions). 

They are in some shit. I love this arc already.

Actually now that I think about it almost all of my favorite arcs are about the good guys getting the fuck beaten out of them.

• Thumbs Up 4

This is basically the best arc in the main series SINCE we had Champions so far. Shits actually getting done for once, there's some actual drama and stakes at hand.

Just got part 2 of Panic in the Sky.

Spoiler

This continues to be a much better story than the Unleashed game. Eggman really did plan for just about every contingency, and I'm really glad Cream and Big are getting in on the action! It's a bit frustrating that most of the villains (BBA, Phage, Hooligans, Witchcarters) are getting away scot-free, but at least most of them aren't leaving unscathed.

Two things I don't get, though:

1) Why did Chip's necklace-orb-thing automatically activate the temples? Shouldn't he have control over that? Was that capsule he was in somehow forcing it to turn on?

2) As Ian explained, since Generations has already happened, during the two Unleashed segments (Rooftop Run and Egg Dragoon), Sonic went forward in time instead of back. So what events from Spagonia did he relive? I don't remember him doing anything particularly action-y there. And will he get a sense of deja vu next issue when he fights the Dragoon again?

As for part 3, I don't know what I'm looking forward to the most: Rotor getting into a dogfight against the Death Egg, Sally and her team getting revenge on those E-Series Badniks, or the Werehog's curtain call as he tears the Dragoon apart!

I forgot how well Tracey could nail Classic Sonic artwork. Reminds me of his brief cameo in Sonic X #25:

2qun3er.jpg

Definitely can't wait to see a full issue of his take on that style. :D

• Thumbs Up 9

10 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

CpS-Od1VIAIKoN7.jpg

I can't help but be upset knowing Terry Austin is going to be inking this.

Unless he suddenly starts channeling whatever he was doing back in, like, 2007 (such as the page from Sonic X #25 CC14 posted above) or something.

As much as I love Tracey's artwork, a small part of me wants Hesse doing the art for Genesis of a Hero.

By the way, who's this guy who's gonna ruin things?

Terry Austin, the main inker...his lines are always rather sketchy, not a fan of him at all personally, especially with Tracey's work. Yardley's style looks infinitely better with big, bold outlines.

• Thumbs Up 5

Personally, I don't think Austin's inking was always bad. When he started out on #200, it was a little jarring because his lines are thinner and lack some variation compared to Amash's bold inking style, but it was serviceable and even looked good most of the time. There are even little touches in his inking that I do like, like some light dry brushing. The issues with his inking looking sketchy and unfinished only started to pop up/become more pronounced roughly when the old continuity was winding down, and that's almost forgivable because he probably had to rush and redo a lot of pages around that period due to behind the scenes crap.

But his output following that? I honestly have no idea what happened, and I think most of the pencillers' work aren't being shown in the best way on the main book. And it's not like it's exclusively Sonic, either. I picked up an issue of The Fox when Dark Circle was still Red Circle (must have been around 2012 or so), and one of the stories Austin inked for that has the same issues his inking for Sonic does. He does some things I like, but his linework can be very squiggly and rough, especially in action scenes. I've said it before, but the man needs a break and needs to be cycled out with someone like Gary Martin.

5 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

And to top it off, here's a preview for 285.

SonicTheHedgehog_285-6.jpg?w=630&h=969&z

SonicTheHedgehog_285-7.jpg?w=630&h=969&z

I guess it's time for Nicole to get a brand new HQ Computer. If she stays in the Miles Electric from here on out, that's not too bad.

Also, Gemerl Advanced?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Also, Gemerl Advanced?

Could be a lettering error, since I think it should probably say "Advanced Battle Robot." In fact, that's exactly what his title was in the previous issue.

3 hours ago, RJDodger said:

I'm enjoying this arc. Sally abuse is my favorite kind of abuse.

Meaning...?

The way I'm reading imthat isn't sounding right to me.

• Thumbs Up 8