Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

That's why TSSZ are asking for any help in verifying it and not going "Oh yeah we heard this and it's totes real guys!". 

Okay then. Good for them, but I hope there isn''t something too serious going on!

If it's true it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Yes, Penders lawyers tried something similar with the third Knuckles Archives a while back, but this was a book of reprints of stories and characters that Ken created.

If this is true and down to the Scott Fulop thing, what grounds are there to do it? All that's coming out of Archie now are new material (or reprints of said newer material) with no concept from any previous writers in sight.

• Thumbs Up 4

It might make sense, if we didn't *just* get the details for November's issues, and the fact Archie just tweeted about the series today, do you really think it's happening?.

Further more, do you think Archie's gonna let some idiot writer looking for easy money cancel Mega Drive #2 and multiple potential cash-cow comic series they have when his characters aren't even involved anymore?

Like come on guys, I get being worried, but there's nothing to verify this and even evidence that proves this is bullshit. If we're gonna take this with a bit of legitimacy, next we might as well treat the words of the next guy who runs up crying that his uncle works at Nintendo, and he confirmed SmashXPlayStation Battle Brawl as legitimate too.

@VEDJ-F 

Off topic, but in the video about Penders' Solo works, I think he might have meant stuff like The Lost Ones, which sold so badly, it only managed one issue, and it's looked at with laughs to this day.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think people are worried because given that initially no one actually expected the Penders case to actually result in the reboot, so they're preparing for the worst in case something comes and throws a monkey wrench in any doubts they have of this new case actually succeeding to jeopardize things.

That's how I see it at least, and however likely or not it seems, I can understand why people would be worried.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

At last, they're finally on the way.  Hopefully they can churn them out a damn sight quicker than the preboot stuff.

Regarding events in Sonic Universe #89

Spoiler

artthing.png

Regarding the Genesis Wave event happening in the new universe, it seems that it happened during the Sonic Advance 3 adaptation, where in the game Eggman somehow used Chaos Control to shatter the planet into pieces. I dunno, I thought it was pretty neat that they joined that plot with Eggman using the Genesis Wave that sapped Naugus of his magic.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what? "Shattered" is kinda boring.

It could've been a story about Knuckles reacting to meeting another echidna, but nope. That lasts half of the issue.

Maybe Shadow and Knuckles could learn that they not so different and earn each other respect after last fight, but nope. Their banter is smaller with each issue.

So what this story is about? Mostly Naugus's backstory. And Naugus isn't really that funny, deep, scary or badass as some other villains (Eggman, Eclipse, Phage, Metal).

SU 89 is just a very long fight and Naugus explaining some continuity issues. It's not exactly bad, but kinda 'meh'.

44 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You know what? "Shattered" is kinda boring.

It could've been a story about Knuckles reacting to meeting another echidna, but nope. That lasts half of the issue.

Maybe Shadow and Knuckles could learn that they not so different and earn each other respect after last fight, but nope. Their banter is smaller with each issue.

So what this story is about? Mostly Naugus's backstory. And Naugus isn't really that funny, deep, scary or badass as some other villains (Eggman, Eclipse, Phage, Metal).

SU 89 is just a very long fight and Naugus explaining some continuity issues. It's not exactly bad, but kinda 'meh'.

Too be fair, Knuckles meeting another echidna and getting interest further in his race would need follow up, later on. And we all know that can't happend.

Oh, please. Almost everyone have happy-buddy relantionship in post reboot. Let's not ruin that little war that's going on between Knuckles and Shadow.

But yeah. It's not that interesting. Just a lot exposition. But I find it justifiable given how fresh new world still is.

Edit: I wish that not every Universe arc was always forced to make 4 issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I just read Issue 285 and again, I enjoyed it. I have to stress how consistent my enjoyment of the comic has been ever since the world rearranged itself. The set-up for the finale is really well done. It actually does feel like the heroes were dealt a significant blow and are pulling out all the stops to keep Eggman from winning.

There are a few things that bug me but they're pretty minor. One of them was just a random thought I had about the Battle Bird Armada (or Eggman's regular forces really). This surprise attack on the Sky Patrol was really successful, and the Battle Lord only stopped their advances because of a strict schedule. Maybe this was answered already but I'm trying to recollect my thoughts on why surprise attacks against this place wouldn't happen in some capacity before or after this once again. I suppose that's the realistic downside of having such a huge target. Although, it does have the advantage of being able to move but it's still a bit odd that it was so easy. I'm grateful that it happened of course. I loved seeing the heroes get their shit wrecked.

The second thing is just another personal matter dealing with the necessary evils of this comic's separate community. Things from the old continuity such as them locking up villains in jail cells still hangs around and it still bugs me. I'm trying to get more on board with this set up but after so many years of seeing it happen I'm gonna have to come to grips with the fact that it just feels strange to me. I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that they work within a kingdom and they're essentially officers of their own law and that they can just toss those Battle Bird characters in their fortified prison but it remains something that feels off to me. Instead of a legit legality system I can't help but instead imagine if Sonic from the games had an underground containment unit for the bad guys he beat. He'd lock them up there and feed them "loaf" every once in a while. Or worse, those little glass cases the villains were kept in back in the old continuity.

What of the Battle Birds for instance? What if they had their own laws and stuff? What even are they actually? Can they create a kingdom and have it be a valid structure that allows for the legal imprisonment of their opposition? They're clearly outlaws though so the obvious answer is that it's just a matter of the Acorn Kingdom being recognized as one of the legit nations allowed to do so. Regardless, it still feels strange. The rag tag duo of Sonic and Tails always felt like they'd do the Spiderman thing of beating the villains and leaving them hanging for the police to handle. My mind can't re-wire itself to see it as anything else.

The third thing is the pacing. The pacing is actually really well done here for the kind of story their telling... however, it doesn't feel like the kind of pacing you'd do when you have two more issues to wrap this up. I'm assuming it's only two more issues left. If it is, I'm praying it doesn't get a super quick Sonic Universe ending that hand-waves the menace built upon by the previous issues for a super quick ending done for the sake of satisfying the format. This honestly feels like the set-up for something that could easily last a bit longer. Six issues at the very least I'd say. I'm probably looking too much into it though. 

Although, the way this is playing out is making me wonder if the whole video that Sally and the others did to inform the rest of the world of what had happened in order to gather their assistance will amount to anything. So far, the only ones doing anything of note is G.U.N. I guess we'll wait and see.

9 hours ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

The second thing is just another personal matter dealing with the necessary evils of this comic's separate community. Things from the old continuity such as them locking up villains in jail cells still hangs around and it still bugs me. I'm trying to get more on board with this set up but after so many years of seeing it happen I'm gonna have to come to grips with the fact that it just feels strange to me. I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that they work within a kingdom and they're essentially officers of their own law and that they can just toss those Battle Bird characters in their fortified prison but it remains something that feels off to me. Instead of a legit legality system I can't help but instead imagine if Sonic from the games had an underground containment unit for the bad guys he beat. He'd lock them up there and feed them "loaf" every once in a while. Or worse, those little glass cases the villains were kept in back in the old continuity.

What of the Battle Birds for instance? What if they had their own laws and stuff? What even are they actually? Can they create a kingdom and have it be a valid structure that allows for the legal imprisonment of their opposition? They're clearly outlaws though so the obvious answer is that it's just a matter of the Acorn Kingdom being recognized as one of the legit nations allowed to do so. Regardless, it still feels strange. The rag tag duo of Sonic and Tails always felt like they'd do the Spiderman thing of beating the villains and leaving them hanging for the police to handle. My mind can't re-wire itself to see it as anything else.

That's actually a matter of villains locked up being more like prisoners of war or criminals of sort, more so the former. The Battle Bird characters are a part of the Eggman Empire, which is in open warfare with the Kingdom of Acorn and it's allies like the United Federation - any soldiers they capture at any point are prisoners by default since they're combatants on opposing sides attacking each other. So the only legal system would be international law...if they even have something like that at all here.

But regardless of whether they work within a kingdom and being officers of their own law or something else entirely different, that's pretty irrelevant simply on the grounds that the Battle Bird Armada straight up open fired on them. Pretty sure anyone would have the grounds to detain someone on that basis alone, regardless of anyone's nationality. The fact that they're more aligned towards the Acorn Kingdom only fuels their imprisonment further - that would be like China attacking a US ship in international waters with some of it's soldiers getting captured in the process, they may have rights but they don't get to be subject to their own laws if they're picking a fight with another state.

Though given that the Battle Birds are subjects of the Eggman Empire, I don't think they'd have their own laws. Plus, given that they're in the sky on their own ship, what would you think would be the safest way to hold two enemies that tried to kill you?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooooo...is the whole Fulop thing settled or does Archie just doing what they want?  Half of these are Pre-SGW issues and feature some of these characters...

Maybe it's clear to not worry or maybe Archie/SEGA aren't going to be bothered by another lawsuit.

Considering they were incompetent enough to get themselves into legal trouble after the Penders thing, I can't guarantee it's not stupidity on their part, unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/31/2016 at 4:55 PM, Dr. Chaotix said:

Maybe this was answered already but I'm trying to recollect my thoughts on why surprise attacks against this place wouldn't happen in some capacity before or after this once again.

Well, there is nothing to say this kind of thing won't happen again, but they kind of indirectly told us the answer to your question. 

It took an unprecedented super villain team up of Phage and Tails Doll (both of whom were already inside of the Sky Patrol and its systems thanks to Tails Doll) just to bring down the Sky Patrols long range scanners, communications and defensive measures. Then you needed a third party (the battle birds) to provide the brute force to attack an aircraft carrier that housed most of the most powerful characters in the -verse.

Long story short, you don't just sneak up on the sky patrol. It has too many countermeasures, too many active systems, too many heroes manning it and a heck of an AI overseeing all of it. Surprise attacks on that facility aren't just as easy as hiding in the clouds or behind a mountain. Under normal circumstances, they'll see you coming on radar from half a continent out and send a Hedgehog shaped scud missile your way before you can blink.

Just to breech it, you'd need a strategy to get in close, a heck of an army to deal with the inhabitants, and then some kind of comparable flying fortress to move all those assets. Outside of Eggman bringing his A game, the list of villains that can pull something like that off is slim to none...

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/1/2016 at 1:28 AM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

That's actually a matter of villains locked up being more like prisoners of war or criminals of sort, more so the former. The Battle Bird characters are a part of the Eggman Empire, which is in open warfare with the Kingdom of Acorn and it's allies like the United Federation - any soldiers they capture at any point are prisoners by default since they're combatants on opposing sides attacking each other. So the only legal system would be international law...if they even have something like that at all here.

But regardless of whether they work within a kingdom and being officers of their own law or something else entirely different, that's pretty irrelevant simply on the grounds that the Battle Bird Armada straight up open fired on them. Pretty sure anyone would have the grounds to detain someone on that basis alone, regardless of anyone's nationality. The fact that they're more aligned towards the Acorn Kingdom only fuels their imprisonment further - that would be like China attacking a US ship in international waters with some of it's soldiers getting captured in the process, they may have rights but they don't get to be subject to their own laws if they're picking a fight with another state.

Though given that the Battle Birds are subjects of the Eggman Empire, I don't think they'd have their own laws. Plus, given that they're in the sky on their own ship, what would you think would be the safest way to hold two enemies that tried to kill you?

Yeah, like I said, it's stuff I'm going to have to just deal with. The concepts of International law, prisoners of war, the United Federation, and the Kingdom of Acorn are ideas and prospects that I don't have a problem with in theory (well that's a lie when it comes to the Kingdom of Acorn actually...) but the execution is leaving me out to dry a bit on the grounds of what I'd personally like out of a Sonic comic series. It's no one's fault really.

Whether they have the rights to do it or not wasn't really the focus of what I was talking about nor is it why it bothers me though. I don't really care if they have the right to imprison them or not. The concept itself as it exists within the book is just something I've never been behind and at this point I don't think I ever will be despite how often I try to not notice it or rationalize how much it makes sense for this continuity, if it truly does.

If I were in a comic like this, I'd like to imagine I'd be able to cartoonishly tie them up with rope and keep them detained until someone else can come by and kart them away. I probably wouldn't own my own jail cell. 

19 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Well, there is nothing to say this kind of thing won't happen again, but they kind of indirectly told us the answer to your question. 

It took an unprecedented super villain team up of Phage and Tails Doll (both of whom were already inside of the Sky Patrol and its systems thanks to Tails Doll) just to bring down the Sky Patrols long range scanners, communications and defensive measures. Then you needed a third party (the battle birds) to provide the brute force to attack an aircraft carrier that housed most of the most powerful characters in the -verse.

Long story short, you don't just sneak up on the sky patrol. It has too many countermeasures, too many active systems, too many heroes manning it and a heck of an AI overseeing all of it. Surprise attacks on that facility aren't just as easy as hiding in the clouds or behind a mountain. Under normal circumstances, they'll see you coming on radar from half a continent out and send a Hedgehog shaped scud missile your way before you can blink.

Just to breech it, you'd need a strategy to get in close, a heck of an army to deal with the inhabitants, and then some kind of comparable flying fortress to move all those assets. Outside of Eggman bringing his A game, the list of villains that can pull something like that off is slim to none...

If you say so. 

I gotta be honest, despite how impressive you made all that sound, I have my doubts still.

Especially since I only really had Eggman and the Battle Birds in mind when I brought it up. Of course, people like the Hooligans aren't going to be able to take it on. But the Sky Patrol is just a floating discus in the sky to me at the moment. I've seen Eggman make some pretty big and incredible things. I suppose I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out why this wouldn't have happened sooner aside from Eggman not giving a shit until it was necessary.

23 hours ago, chaosjam said:

Sooooo...is the whole Fulop thing settled or does Archie just doing what they want?  Half of these are Pre-SGW issues and feature some of these characters...

Maybe it's clear to not worry or maybe Archie/SEGA aren't going to be bothered by another lawsuit.

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Google Books has some preview pages for #286.

Also, dunno how someone found this, but an extra page appeared out of nowhere...

This issue has the same deal as Sonic Universe #84; Half and half. Skelley does the first ten pages, Adam Bryce Thomas does the last ten pages.  This was not said in the solicit;

Art: Diana Skelly, Terry Austin, John Workman and Gabriel Cassata

Edit: Two more pages found--Wait, what the fuck.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

If I were in a comic like this, I'd like to imagine I'd be able to cartoonishly tie them up with rope and keep them detained until someone else can come by and kart them away. I probably wouldn't own my own jail cell. 

But the Sky Patrol is just a floating discus in the sky to me at the moment. I've seen Eggman make some pretty big and incredible things. I suppose I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out why this wouldn't have happened sooner aside from Eggman not giving a shit until it was necessary.

So, you're problem is that you don't like that the Sky Patrol has a brig?

Actually, Eggman did try to destroy it in a previous story.

I'm slightly annoyed Diana's not doing all of it, but I on the other hand I have no idea what the circumstances are, so it's not at all a big deal.  However, as much as Adam has improved so much over the past year, I would've preferred Diana doing the rest.  Single story issues that have art splits are not my cup of tea really.