Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

>Skelly's not doing the whole thing

well thanks this was fun bye

sigh

ABT's not bad and I'm glad he's getting a lot of work since for his first year a lot of his commentary in social media was "I'm doing this with another job because I can't sustain myself on comics yet but I want to", and he's got a lot of talent and ambition

but dammit I want to see a 100% skelly arc from start to finish at some point ;____;

(and no, champions wasn't one- peppers did layouts in the final issue, which was very apparent)

• Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, The KKM said:

>Skelly's not doing the whole thing

well thanks this was fun bye

sigh

ABT's not bad and I'm glad he's getting a lot of work since for his first year a lot of his commentary in social media was "I'm doing this with another job because I can't sustain myself on comics yet but I want to", and he's got a lot of talent and ambition

but dammit I want to see a 100% skelly arc from start to finish at some point ;____;

(and no, champions wasn't one- peppers did layouts in the final issue, which was very apparent)

Actually, I thought it was Ryan Jampole who helped her out with Champions.

it probably was and I mixed them up since jampole helped peppers back in worlds collide (or was it unite? the time when peppers had to go to the hospital so jampole had to take over?)

point is, it was visible, and if you like skelly's usual more manic cartooning like I do, the last issue of champions suddenly looked... not necessarily "a lot", but distinctly more lowkey and boring in its layouts and posing

2 minutes ago, The KKM said:

it probably was and I mixed them up since jampole helped peppers back in worlds collide (or was it unite? the time when peppers had to go to the hospital so jampole had to take over?)

point is, it was visible, and if you like skelly's usual more manic cartooning like I do, the last issue of champions suddenly looked... not necessarily "a lot", but distinctly more lowkey and boring in its layouts and posing

I'm certain it was with Worlds Collide Ryan had to pitch in for a few pages.  And yes, I did notice his contributions to Champions.  It didn't stick out too painfully, so I can let it slide, but it was still noticeable.  With Adam, the style difference is arguably even greater and as much as I find him a good artist (he can draw a damn sight better than I can hope for myself) his pencils lack the bounciness and expressiveness I'm always searching for in Sonic comics, so as much as I feel a bit of a jerk for this, I hope Diana can still do the last part.

Well, for those who don't know, Archie is screwing Ian and many other creators over in their digital GNs. Penders is getting top billing on anything with a shred of his work in it. If he wrote one story out of 10? Top billing. If he drew a picture? Top billing. If he inked a story? Top billing. Allow me to put it into perspective. Saga Series: Order from Chaos, Best of Sonic Vol 1, Mobius: 30 Years Later, and even the Mobius Encyclopedia, which I'm pretty sure Ian wrote the entire thing are all giving Penders top credit when he had near fuck all to do with any of them.

Disgusting Archie. Absolutely disgusting.

5 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

That off panel... are they having a joke aboutwhat I think they are?

Reveal hidden contents

Scourge?

Well...

Spoiler

Yeah! It totally is! And it is Archie Sonic's 5th anniversary of Scourge's last appearance.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Honestly, it seems like all they can do at this point. So, it has come to this?

Just now, DabigRG said:

Honestly, it seems like all they can do at this point. So, it has come to this?

I have no issues with Penders getting top billing if he deserves it. As in, if he does the majority of work featured in a graphic novel. I'd expect the same for all writers including Bollers, and Ian. For example, I have no problem with Penders getting top billing in stuff like Knuckles Archives because he did do the majority of stories found in those. 

But Archie's taking the lazy and disgusting route. Giving Penders any and all credit if even a shred of his work is present in the book, and that's a goddamn dishonor to the actual people who placed work into this. I'm nearly sure the only thing Penders did in Order from Chaos is ink one story. Yet, here he is getting the top billing above Ian and Tracey, and everyone else who actually put the most time and effort into the book. Same with the Encyclopedia. Ian put so much time into that book writing it, and his deserved top billing is gone because a few of Penders' drawings made it into the book. It's absolutely fucking stupid and unfair.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I have no issues with Penders getting top billing if he deserves it. As in, if he does the majority of work featured in a graphic novel. I'd expect the same for all writers including Bollers, and Ian. For example, I have no problem with Penders getting top billing in stuff like Knuckles Archives because he did do the majority of stories found in those. 

But Archie's taking the lazy and disgusting route. Giving Penders any and all credit if even a shred of his work is present in the book, and that's a goddamn dishonor to the actual people who placed work into this. I'm nearly sure the only thing Penders did in Order from Chaos is ink one story. Yet, here he is getting the top billing above Ian and Tracey, and everyone else who actually put the most time and effort into the book. Same with the Encyclopedia. Ian put so much time into that book writing it, and his deserved top billing is gone because a few of Penders' drawings made it into the book. It's absolutely fucking stupid and unfair.

The Penders top billing is probably out of fear or maybe Archie is forced to do it because of the lawsuit.

• Thumbs Up 7

43 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Well, for those who don't know, Archie is screwing Ian and many other creators over in their digital GNs. Penders is getting top billing on anything with a shred of his work in it. If he wrote one story out of 10? Top billing. If he drew a picture? Top billing. If he inked a story? Top billing. Allow me to put it into perspective. Saga Series: Order from Chaos, Best of Sonic Vol 1, Mobius: 30 Years Later, and even the Mobius Encyclopedia, which I'm pretty sure Ian wrote the entire thing are all giving Penders top credit when he had near fuck all to do with any of them.

I bet the lawsuit has something to do with it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Oh, well yeah, that sucks! I assumed that applied only to stuff where he had writer's credit, but the Encyclopedia is definitely a step too far. At least with regular reprints, the true contributors will be credited.

What's sad in the case of Best of Sonic Vol. 1 is that Michael Gallagher, who wrote Mecha Madness, gets no acknowledgement on the cover whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 8

Sorry to butt in just to comment for that jailing problem but I'm coming anyway. I don't really know whether it's good idea or not, but let's think about it this way.

You're flying around pretty high in the Sky Patrol. Enemies attack and try to invade it. You stop them. Now, IF you don't have anything to tie them up with for preventing them breaking havoc around the ship after getting over (since we assume you didn't kill them, suitable for all ages and all...) from their loss, what would you do without having a place to secure them in? I can't figure out anything else for an option than throwing them out of the Sky Patrol...

And now one could argue that you should get down first, but would that be always possible? I'm not too sure (middle of a fight, above the sea and so on..). And I suppose some random closet isn't really good place for securing enemies.

And if I recall it right, the existance of those cages was questioned at some place off-panel before Worlds Unite considering they talked about it at some point around putting the doctors in one of those.

For a long time in the past, I've had a heavy disdain for the Archie portrayals of most of the cast. But I've heard and seen good things about it lately, and have considered getting back into Sonic Universe (liked it more than the main series, tbh). Which arcs do you guys recommend? Any arc after Scourges prison breakout, because that's around where I started lost interest.

Everything Post-SGW Universe is pretty good, but I really like Spark of Life.

If you read anything in the main series, read Champions.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AtomicPencils said:

For a long time in the past, I've had a heavy disdain for the Archie portrayals of most of the cast. But I've heard and seen good things about it lately, and have considered getting back into Sonic Universe (liked it more than the main series, tbh). Which arcs do you guys recommend? Any arc after Scourges prison breakout, because that's around where I started lost interest.

Well, if you want to play catch-up, start at 252 of the main series.

Best arcs of Universe would be Spark of Life and Eggman's Dozen, while the best of the main series would be Champions and the current Panic in the Sky.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, AtomicPencils said:

If you want to jump into Reboot then you start with 252 (or with Worlds Collide if you like those simple story, tons of fanservice crossovers). Beginning can be slow but Sonic Universe got you cover. From main series I reccomend Championship arc (268-271), From Sonic Universe Spark of Life (71-74) and Pirate Plunder (55-58). I guess Eggman Dozen is pretty good too (83-86), but it works better as a part of greater narrative, not something taken out of context. Too much focus on characters you never heard of.

As for world before Reboot.... depends what you read before, but if you read everything till Scourge Breakout (SU) and Genesis arc (Main book), then read 230 to get idea what's going on in main book and then you can read Eggman: Scrambled (37-40). Other arcs post Scourge have Babylon Rouges, Secret Freedom Fighters, Chaotix and Metal Sonic. If you're fan of particular character you can check them (except Secret FF. It's one of better ones, but I don't think it works if you don't read Main book).

• Thumbs Up 1

Just note that the Chaotix arc is less a Chaotix arc and more an arc focusing on Mighty's turmoil, which is irrelevant to the current continuity. And the Metal Sonic story is actually a Shard story.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, AtomicPencils said:

For Sonic Universe, you should read Spark of Life, Eggmans Dozen, and Shattered. (Shattered has some good interaction).

The main series has some good stuff too! Read from Worlds Collide or issue 252. Best arcs there are Champions and Panic in the Sky.

You should probably save Worlds Unite for the last.

One more thing, you should also read Sonic Megadrive, it's mostly focusing on the classics, but it's pretty good. The art's funny and the characters are spot on!

Not crazy about Shattered so far. The first part was alright, but the rest has been kind of dull. The Omega fight wasn't particularly great, and I don't think Wally's that interesting or entertaining on his own. The world building is neat and all, but that's about it.

Anyway, I got 286 today.

Spoiler

-Sonic fights the Egg Dragoon on the Gaia Colossus in his normal form and later as the Werehog

-Eta and Iota get taken out rather quickly (Eta gets destroyed by Bunnie's charged up punch, Iota gets shot down by Tails)

-The Sky Patrol's wing is hit by an energy attack from the Death Egg, causing it to fall

-Sonic saves Chip after the Egg Dragoon is defeated, but he loses his Werehog transformation as Dark Gaia finally awakens and achieves its perfect state (which also causes Eggmanland to begin falling apart)

-Sonic becomes Super Sonic and heads out to defeat Dark Gaia

• Thumbs Up 1

Lucky you. :)  I suppose I won't ever get issues that early due to the fact I live here and get mine in a little bit differently than ordering straight from Archie...

I myself have found Shattered pretty interesting at this point at least. Maybe it's because of the world-building (since I myself like to read & see what kind of stuff has happened, well as long as the story goes on) or the fact how intimidating Nigel got in the first part, and well, mostly when Wally's been on his own he's just explained/thought about the past, not doing any gleeful scheming such as Eggman. That could be why. Wally seems to be - at least for now - that kind of character who is amusing through communicating and reacting with others, usually by doing something wrong and someone other (at this point his sister and Knuckles) reacting to it. I suppose he will become more interesting as the world-building continues.

But maybe the story's about how Omega really starts to understand the meaning of words collatteral damage, more so how it's not a good way to solve problems causing it. At least I feel like he's doing some deep thinking B) In case you guys didn't get the last part "this is humour", just not with the creamcakes.