Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

If Archie knows what's good for them, they should avoid referencing that plot line ever again. The Iron Queen, who has the ability to control machines, is unable to find a way to get inside a city because it's protected by machines. And then the day is saved by Deus Ex Machina, the whole thing might as well have not happened.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

And then the day is saved by Deus Ex Machina, the whole thing might as well have not happened.

What was that Deus Ex Machina? I don't read the comics anymore but I would be interested to know.

If you don't explain everything...

Nicole stops being controlled by IQ BECAUSE Sally helped her. That's not a deus ex machina.

Maybe they're just unnerved by her R2-D2 hologram-projection-eye-beams.

If Archie knows what's good for them, they should avoid referencing that plot line ever again. The Iron Queen, who has the ability to control machines, is unable to find a way to get inside a city because it's protected by machines. And then the day is saved by Deus Ex Machina, the whole thing might as well have not happened.

I think it was because of Sally that Nicole was able to get free, right?

Yeah, probably. I've just been reading the previews, though putting something like that in the first part of an issue strikes me as strange. I was being a little facetious in the wee hours of the morning.

Then you shouldn't assume things based only on 5 preview pages while you're talking about event that took place in a full comic ;) You may mislead other people.

THAT'S NOT GOOOOOOOOOOOD !

To be fair - she kept up the "Iron Nicole" ruse up till she pulled the rug under the Iron Queen's feet and the details of how that came about wont exactly be word-for-word exactly what happened when news is shared. It's natural that people may suspect that Nicole's acting in this case too or likely to "malfunction" - after all when a computer catches a virus, even if you erase the virus there will be remains of it hanging about in the system which may trigger another attack.

Lets not forget that prior to Nicole's transformation and the nanobots, that the hidden mobians spent years in fear of Robotnik's own creations and even robotic transformations of their relatives with their brains warped in the process. After all there were some Mobians willing to dismantle the Robians regardless of them being former loved ones back in the day. I wouldn't be surprised if the long term effect is that the council suggest putting limits on Nicole or something to that regard. It's a shame after all she's done for them but then you cant really blame some Mobians for fearing her regardless.

Then you shouldn't assume things based only on 5 preview pages while you're talking about event that took place in a full comic ;) You may mislead other people.

THAT'S NOT GOOOOOOOOOOOD !

The thing about that is that that's the first thing that happens in that particular issue, but I don't recall and explanation at the time of Nicole breaking free in the issue where she actually sprung the trap.

• Sonic News

Well, no, because it happened at the end of a story a few issues ago. That's why it's important to read the full thing before judging ;). A comic can't constantly remind the reader of every past plot point in an issue, it wouldn't be practical. These comics usually only reference stories are are years old these days.

Not deus ex machinna, especially since Nicole was actually losing control of some of her nanites to the Iron Queen, but I do feel the Iron Queen lost just a little too quickly in 212. I would have liked the final battle to be more intense, take two issues instead of one, have more of an eb and flow instead of just a clean victory.

Of course, there's only so much you can do in a comic, but I feel the Iron Dominion saga as a whole needed to be longer.

My only beef with the comic so far is the handling of Sally and Monkey Kahn. It seems they were intent on sticking to their guns to make the relationship stick ( and I guess it kind of does) but then after months of them goo-goo eying each other suddenly Sally decides to give Sonic another chance. Which I can kind of understand but it feels like they waved a white flag after the Sonic x Sally fans complained. I prefer the original pairing too, but Sally seemed so into "Ken" that it still seems a bit "eh?" when shes like "thats nice... but no I need to give the ex a chance"

I wholeheartedly agree. It really seemed to be going somewhere, and it would have been nice to see the relationship develop, whilst giving Sonic the chance to just roam and be a free guy without being tied to Sally (despite their supposed 'break'). Even if Sonic and Sally inevitably ended up together again eventually, they could have done more with Khan/Sal after all that build up instead of such an anti-climax.

Also, I kinda like Sally and Khan together. It reminds me of the dynamic of Knuckles/Sally, which again had so much potential but never went anywhere because of uproar from Sonic/Sally fans ^^; I may be in the minority there, but eh.

Unfortunately, that's the kind of thing that happens when you have to pander to the readers it seems. I think the Son/Sal camp is JUST as loud as the Son/Amy one.

My only beef with the comic so far is the handling of Sally and Monkey Kahn. It seems they were intent on sticking to their guns to make the relationship stick ( and I guess it kind of does) but then after months of them goo-goo eying each other suddenly Sally decides to give Sonic another chance. Which I can kind of understand but it feels like they waved a white flag after the Sonic x Sally fans complained. I prefer the original pairing too, but Sally seemed so into "Ken" that it still seems a bit "eh?" when shes like "thats nice... but no I need to give the ex a chance"

I’ll agree and say the whole “reversion back to Sonic” thing happened rather abruptly, but its not like they didn’t leave the door open to do so. Sonic was quick to do what Khan couldn’t do for Sally in Issue 209, and was just as quick to rub said ability in Khan’s face immediately afterwards. In fact, the Monkey’s response to Sonic’s jab was an admission that he simply wasn’t on par with Sonic’s connection to Sally just yet.

Sure, Khan and Sally were built up pretty heavily, but for the most part, when Sally sat down and thought out her situation, Sonic would have been the only logical choice for her right now. With Bunnie’s observations in 207 in mind, it wouldn’t make sense to choose otherwise. Known Commodity > Unknown Possibility.

I don't think I would go as far as to call the move a white flag. If anything it was probably just a plot point thrown in to spice things up.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

All of it is kind of moot since SEGA won't let Sonic date anybody in the comic anymore. I'm not sure what Ian was thinking, since the whole Sally/Monkey Khan thing really ended abruptly and made me cringe a little when Sonic and Sally were pretty luvy duvy in the next few pages.

Other than to completely troll the Son/Sal fans. Which is always kind of hilarious.

Unfortunately, that's the kind of thing that happens when you have to pander to the readers it seems. I think the Son/Sal camp is JUST as loud as the Son/Amy one.

NO doubt. And since its comic books. (just like marvel and dc) they get emails.. and emails, and SO many emails. The artists have to read them, more so then the video game companies like Sega and Nintendo.

And since they do want people to keep buying these comics so they dont cancel. They pretty much have to listen to the fan's opinions more.

Caught up on my comics and I just been filled in with the legal issues. I know that I'm late, but I'll share my view on this. For a year or so, I've had to catch up and get the background on whats happening in this universe. Lets just say that it has been...an adventure. If it were up to me, I'll say let that guy have his characters back and his convulted, over reaching story arcs. I know that his case is flimsy and extremely ridiculous, but damn did his contributions complicate things.

I’ll agree and say the whole “reversion back to Sonic” thing happened rather abruptly, but its not like they didn’t leave the door open to do so. Sonic was quick to do what Khan couldn’t do for Sally in Issue 209, and was just as quick to rub said ability in Khan’s face immediately afterwards. In fact, the Monkey’s response to Sonic’s jab was an admission that he simply wasn’t on par with Sonic’s connection to Sally just yet.

Sure, Khan and Sally were built up pretty heavily, but for the most part, when Sally sat down and thought out her situation, Sonic would have been the only logical choice for her right now. With Bunnie’s observations in 207 in mind, it wouldn’t make sense to choose otherwise. Known Commodity > Unknown Possibility.

I don't think I would go as far as to call the move a white flag. If anything it was probably just a plot point thrown in to spice things up.

A letter in the same issue asks whats going on with the whole Sally x Khan thing and the letter basically says "Don't expect much more because the Sonic & Sally fans scare us silly! D:". Which seems a bit of a white flag to me, I mean I suppose it's nice that they left it open at least but I sort of suspect even if they did make Sonic flub up his chance Khan & Sally would never be that close again. Which is a shame because as a relationship it made a TON more sense than say, Sonic & Mina/Fiona both of whom were out of the left field or just suddenly given abilities and reasons to relate to Sonic on that level.

Also, I kinda like Sally and Khan together. It reminds me of the dynamic of Knuckles/Sally, which again had so much potential but never went anywhere because of uproar from Sonic/Sally fans ^^; I may be in the minority there, but eh.

Knuckles & Sally going puff makes a bit more sense, Sonic & Knuckles were firm rivals back in the day and while Sally might of liked Knuckles it would of been the biggest slap in the face to Sonic when he hadn't done anything wrong. Plus by the time she was single again Knuckles was already happily taken, and they had both moved on since then.

There's two new Paul Kaminski interviews, although a few of you have probably seen the one on TSS. =P

http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=12466

http://www.sonicstadium.org/articles...-paul-kaminski

Tidbits include:

-Silver arc in SU after Treasure Team Tango

-#225 is going to be bigger than Endgame

-Hinted that there might be a special for Sonic's 20th anniversary

-Hinted that Spaz might be doing more than covers. YES!

-Possibly going to be Knuckles Archives

-And other stuff!

-Hinted that Spaz might be doing more than covers. YES!

I put that together almost instantly. BTW, did anyone else like what they did with the artists back in #125? It was kind of jarring to see uber artists like Axer spliced in like every 5 pages, but it did lead to a nice effect overall. I'd love to see Spaz in something like that.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I think not.

I think not.

Agreed.

If there ever was a time to be "bigger than Endgame" #200 would've been the time to be it. 225 isn't as epic of a number, but besides that #200 was or should've been an epic climax to what was years and years of story the comic had built up to, the one final event of the freedom fighters actually beating Robotnik.

As it was this isn't what happened and instead we got some lame ersatz villain and old Robobutt went loopey and got thrown in jail......uh huh, no epic battle no Eggman having some genius back up plan or cryptic escape only to come back later, no justice dealt by the FF by sentencing Eggman for all he's done by I dunno..lets say banishing him to the zone of silence or something (I know due to the age rating they can't kill him off) but yeah.....talk about an epic let down.

Anyways I can't really see #225 being all that big. I do hope, and assume, that this will be the issue Robotnik finally resurfaces again though.

That being said I did quite enjoy #215. All of the stories since #198 have bored me to be honest. I have no interest in the Iron Dominion, predictable ninja clan stories or seeing all these random factions of freedom fighters, and the wolf pack and felidae arc only held slight interest for me due to Big the cat...but he didn't really get much page time anyways.......plus I thought he already lived in Knothole..or with Sonic and co already?? If not then why is he in that side-story a fair few issues ago when they have a play for the Knothole residents and Big is playing a costumed Eggman?

Anyway I liked #215, Sonic is cocky, they use power rings, the Egg totem tower looks cool and like something that could actually be from a classic Sonic game, and I quite like Rotor's powersuit design. I also like this comic's portrayal of Silver as a conscious-heavy traveller from the future as opposed to his game counterpart where he turns up like a jerk spouting "Iblis trigger" or in the rival games where he feels more shoved in there rather than a well fitting part of a story.

The inclusion of Onyx Island really has me intrigued as well, I liked certain elements of Sonic Rivals, but I never got how Onyx Island could be Angel Island in the future, for one why would there be ancient Roman looking ruins there when Angel Island was only ever populated by Echidnas? And if humans were to have ruins there inbetween now and the 200 years until then they wouldn't be of that design anyway.......but the rest I can kinda see; Forest Falls is kinda like a mutated Mushroom Hill, Crystal Mountain zone is kinda like Ice cap....so it is plausible (with the exclusion of Coluseum Highway) that Onyx Island is the future Angel Island.

I am really interested to see where they take this idea! I love how Onyx Island is shown from a distance and is shown appearing like it has been lying on its side with buildings destroyed for quite a while, perhaps pairing this with our other game knowledge of what Silver's future world looks like we can imagine some worldwide catastrophe that has the mainland parts of future Mobius being rubble and firey former cities and Angel Island having fallen from the sky with what little left survivors adapting to this slanted landscape.

A nice little nod to see the M:30YL kids in the photo behind Silver in the first panel there even though I hate the XX:YL arcs.....although does this confirm that future as being "true"....or perhaps being ever evasive yet again this future could be questionable as I guess Silver will eventually change it through the course of his past meddling.

I'm putting $10 down now on Eggman Nega being this "master" that Silver refers to before decided to investigate the past on his own.

Also, Chronos control? and is that a Sol emerald he's holding? I hope not because I am a firm believer in the "sol/Blaze universe" being an alternate reality to the "prime/Sonic universe" and not some future form of Sonic's world....but Silver does refer to these stones as Time stone if I am correct? Which would make them....from little planet? Sonic CD?

I'm so confused.

I just hope this series has some length to it. I would like to see this story expanded upon and slowly reveal things to us over time, but I had a feeling that Silver would get a SU arc after they put this story in #215 and that Paul Kaminski interview confirms it. That's what I hate about the recent arcs, everything is so planned, you can kinda guess when things are gonna happen because you know that each arc is 4 issues in length, I'd much rather things be less structured than that and not have everything conclude by the end of the arc...give us a bit but then tease us some...I really see great potential for this Silver/Onyx Island story.

As far as everything else goes, what ever happened to Renae Deliz? She had one issue of amazing art in #198 and then nothing?? And where are all the good cover artists? Where is Spaz?

They've got such great talent at Archie and I don't see them utilzing it!

Edited by The-Master-Board

I think the 225 special is less about a landmark issue and more about the 20th Anniversary of Sonic as a whole which, let's face it is bigger than any landmark issue.