Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Honestly the only thing about Shattered that's been the most interesting is the Naugus backstory with the Genesis Wave and the events leading up to 252.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, the action scenes are awesome as well...kinda like Omega being this juggernaut that takes the combined might of Rouge, Amy, and even Shadow and Knuckles to take down.

Aside from that, it does fall short to Panic in the Sky.

6 hours ago, UmbraSageN64 said:

It's been a while, but I've recently discovered that a DeviantArt user known as AquaRaptor created some character emblems for Clove, Thunderbolt, and Conquering Storm! B)

Conquering Storm Emblem by AquaRaptor

Oh you just know I was gonna jump on this one! Tell AquaRaptor I said thank you very much for the new avatar!

Damn, it makes me want the Egg Bosses in the games even more!

• Thumbs Up 4

22 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Oh you just know I was gonna jump on this one! Tell AquaRaptor I said thank you very much for the new avatar!

Damn, it makes me want the Egg Bosses in the games even more!

Yeah, I felt the same way when Clove got her own character emblem. :D

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. B) 

AquaRaptor said that he might create more character emblems for the remaining Egg Bosses within due time.

Ya know, despite the rushed moments, doesn't it seem like the Egg Bosses are without a doubt the single most popular part of Archie Sonic?

Aside from the storytelling and worldbuilding that is...

• Thumbs Up 4

39 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Ya know, despite the rushed moments, doesn't it seem like the Egg Bosses are without a doubt the single most popular part of Archie Sonic?

Considering that there's an entire group dedicated to them on DeviantArt, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest bit.

Indeed. Hopefully, we'll get to learn more about Maw in a possible Universe arc sometime later down the road. :)

7 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Well, they have had an entire arc of nothing but them bouncing off each other and being able to flesh out their dynamics. Plus, the arcs that did the same for the Freedom Fighters and other game heroes have mostly been pre-WU/hiatus, and the ones focusing on the other non-FF comic hero groups have been met with a lukewarm reception at best.

Also I want to just highlight this panel from the latest (officially unreleased) issue because...well, I want to talk about it. 

qGn9Zds.jpg

Okay, so three main points;

1. It seemed weird to me that team Dark weren't in this shot so I checked Total Eclipse. Yep, Chip is with Tikal and away from events the entire time. Although if he'd spent a while talking with Tikal you'd have thought she'd be more important to him.

2. Actually, the importance and groupings are kind of off in general, mainly because of switched positions. The inner circle has the Freedom FIghters (and Tails) because they were the most important, but it also has the Chaotix members because...reasons, as opposed to team Rose or Knuckles who spent far longer with him? And Knuckles is in a group shot with Tikal and Relic while the most steadfast team aren't in a group shot? What? I would have thought it would have made more sense to have team Rose where team Chaotix is if Tikal and Relic were too obscure for the inner circle, since they were split up for solo work more often in Chip's eyes and were more important in general. 

3. Speaking of the Chaotix, this is Adam Bryce Thomas' first stab at them before Curse of the Pirate Princess. I can see a couple of obvious mistakes (Espio's eye ridge isn't right, Charmy's shoulder pads are drawn with a sleeve flair for some reason), but for an unplanned substitution they're really quite nice. I'm sure the practice he'll get with focusing on the arc will iron the kinks out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose one part of the reason why the Egg Bosses are so popular could be the fact they've some depth in them. In a comic series where main protagonist and antagonist can't really get that much character building in themselves this kind of stuff may have importance. Hence the ideals I have considering comics and games.

As long as I think, comics can add more depth into the characters they have. If the characters that have depth and maybe are by that fact popular are put into a game with a very light plot there's the risk that those characters become bland and are not as likeable anymore as they were before. There could also be the possibility of them losing the possibilities of furthermore growth in the process since they've found their way into a game and IF by some chance they become a part of the usually used cast in the games just the way Sonic and else. More likely possibility is still the fact they would've been used once and then would be "thrown away" due to the fact they wouldn't be as popular in the games than in the comics.

For me it just feels the way that comic universe and games universe should be kept separated. And this stands for other universes as well. I'm pretty certain my points won't appeal to that many others, but well... it's just an opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well, they have had an entire arc of nothing but them bouncing off each other and being able to flesh out their dynamics. Plus, the arcs that did the same for the Freedom Fighters and other game heroes have mostly been pre-WU/hiatus, and the ones focusing on the other non-FF comic hero groups have been met with a lukewarm reception at best.

Also I want to just highlight this panel from the latest (officially unreleased) issue because...well, I want to talk about it. 

Hide contents

qGn9Zds.jpg

Okay, so three main points;

1. It seemed weird to me that team Dark weren't in this shot so I checked Total Eclipse. Yep, Chip is with Tikal and away from events the entire time. Although if he'd spent a while talking with Tikal you'd have thought she'd be more important to him.

2. Actually, the importance and groupings are kind of off in general, mainly because of switched positions. The inner circle has the Freedom FIghters (and Tails) because they were the most important, but it also has the Chaotix members because...reasons, as opposed to team Rose or Knuckles who spent far longer with him? And Knuckles is in a group shot with Tikal and Relic while the most steadfast team aren't in a group shot? What? I would have thought it would have made more sense to have team Rose where team Chaotix is if Tikal and Relic were too obscure for the inner circle, since they were split up for solo work more often in Chip's eyes and were more important in general. 

3. Speaking of the Chaotix, this is Adam Bryce Thomas' first stab at them before Curse of the Pirate Princess. I can see a couple of obvious mistakes (Espio's eye ridge isn't right, Charmy's shoulder pads are drawn with a sleeve flair for some reason), but for an unplanned substitution they're really quite nice. I'm sure the practice he'll get with focusing on the arc will iron the kinks out.

What do you mean unplanned substitution?

The original solicits credited only Diana Skelley for the pencils of #286, but in the final version Adam Bryce Thomas does half the issue. I'm pretty sure that's a sign that ABT being there wasn't originally planned, no matter how much the letter page tries to play off having two artists on the same story as a good thing (it's usually not). This also happened with SU#85 before ABT took over from Yardley completely in SU#86, and Skelley had pencils done by someone else in StH#271.

^ Oh nice, I suppose the price will go up too? But I think it would be nice to have more pages, Mega Drive felt a bit short for my liking, mostly due to the fact ending was pretty much "we will tell more if you guys buy more, if not the story will be left up in the air" way. Like, open endings are nice and all but that ending was just a bit too open in a way ending felt too much of an ad for the next part. I hope Next Level is at least a bit more subtle...

Of course because it's "Classic" story I can see why it's pretty straight-forward, open and all as a story.

I thought it was already known that Next Level is going to be bigger story, I swear I read up that it was going to be 48 pages instead of the 24 pages Mega Drive had. So it's pretty much double the length of Mega Drive, which is perfectly fine by me. 

Nah, it's only 50% more at 30 pages. Regular Sonic comics have 32 total pages, of which 20 are for story. This will have 48 pages, 30 of which are story. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Pre-orders for Next Level should be coming up soon since we're getting closer to the month of November when the issue launches. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hope I get lucky again, and be the first one to get it before anyone else. I still can't believe I was the first one to get Mega Drive. XD

You know what I want to know: if and how both books will be collected together.

Maybe do something like what they did with the first three issues of the Archie reboot where they later rereleases them in a large collector comic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh you just reminded me; Sonic Digest #17 had a preview for Sonic Digest #18's cover. It's classic themed again, that could just be for show or hint at Mega Drive being reprinted in there.