Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Eh, not convinced by that saying that the only place near Empire City that would be accessible without a flying vehicle would be Shamar, and the Chaotix in particular would have to be back in Empire City in time for the very next arc. But that's not conclusive, so eh.

Also, when she says the thing about "not taking down the Eggman Empire in a day", I'm pretty sure she's referring to their plan in the Shattered World Crisis, as she follows it up with saying that she wants them to distract the Egg forces while they activate the Gaia Temples. Naturally the Gaia temples wouldn't take down the empire either, it'd just fix the planet. But she estimated that would take more than a day, verified when Sally told Amy the counter-attack would fix the planet early. 

Out of all other robots to operate the Death Egg, Eggman chose and trust Orbot and Cubot. At least it looks like they know what their doing lol

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, DiamondXBlitz said:

Out of all other robots to operate the Death Egg, Eggman chose and trust Orbot and Cubot. At least it looks like they know what their doing lol

In both Sonic Unleashed and the comics, Orbot and by extension Cubot are used to help manage Eggman's operations and run technical support.

Yeah, 286 definitely felt much more brisk than the previous issues in the arc.

It wasn't rocky, thank god, but it was much faster and slightly anti-climactic when Sonic beat Eggman. Granted, the fight was intense and unhinged for Eggman, so that's a plus - just makes me want more before he got beat.

Orbot and Cubot taking down the Sky Patrol is another plus,m showing that, despite their bumbling nature, these two are damn capable when you give them control of something (of course, when you have something as powerful as the Death Egg, it's kinda hard to lose a fight).

Guess the hype is wearing a bit thin, but it's leagues above previous rushed issues.

7 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Okay, so yeah, in retrospect, #283 was still a mess in writing. But here's some more points I've got for it.

1. Okay, so I get wanting to give a co-ordinated effort, but why in the hell did Sally disclose the location of the Chaos Emeralds? If they were so worried about someone spying on them, she could have at least explained that she can't disclose the location, Eggman knows they have the Chaos Emeralds regardless. If he'd have sussed it out after, that'd at least be his smarts in play and not Sally's stupidity.

2. Why even call Honey or the Chaotix? Remember, they're supposed to be acting as diversions against the local Egg Bosses so they don't give the Freedom Fighters any trouble when it came to the Gaia Temples. Not only does Empire City not have a Gaia Temple, it doesn't even have Egg Bosses, or an active Egg force; Breezie controls the place, and she's not interested in things outside of what it can do for her ratings, she wouldn't disrupt the Freedom Fighters. What can they even do?

3. "Obviously we can't take down the Eggman Empire in a day." And then the Freedom Fighters pretty much proceed to do just that. Seriously, even with the Sky Patrol being downed twice and all the knocks, there's no way any more than half a day passed for this assault. 

4. Great to see Dulcy followed up on the promise to help set up a diversion by...napping afterwards (as shown in #285). 

Reveal hidden contents

5. And with #286, it's basically set in stone that we won't see them helping out for the rest of the arc, and at best we might see everyone react to the world being fixed, because the actual meat will (should) be Super Sonic vs Perfect Dark Gaia and Chip's farewell. So yeah, Sally might as well have not broadcast, and they'd probably have had an easier time of fighting Eggman.

1 Because plot

2 Remember that whole operation started to early. Most likely they were suppose to join any of other groups. (Also, it's important to keep your allies inform)

3 Not Egg Bosses and not Death Egg (they just slowed it down).

4  See point 2, but I see your point

Still, those are nitpicks to me. I'm just angry at point 5, that we set up stuff that we already know, for a plan that will never come to life, gathering villains that mostly leave  story after first issue.

22 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Shadow and Silver should get their own Sonic Universe arc. In the comics, they've barely interacted.

I want this right? But what do those characters interact or rather how, I guess now. While i'm not fond of knuckles and shadow's beef, on a base level personality wise, I get it. But I don't feel like silver or shadow really do much for each other. " Hey shadow we need to do thing " " Ok I will help you do thing'', and they can't do like.... lore stuff because sega has locked that down on game related stuff. I don't honestly know what those two characters do together. 

Maybe they could do like a joke thing? Maybe its future shadow and he's 1000 years old and kind of lost track of his moral code?

i don't have any concrete ideas for that one

Silver from my understanding know's who shadow is so accusatory mephiles things can't happen

Comic-wise I can't recall any moment where post-reboot Silver and Shadow interacted.  And from how the story is laying out I don't think they will ever get any unique interaction without a situation where they need to work together.

Game-wise, SaBK had their counterpart as father and son (I don't believe in the "two are biologically related" theory, but their counterpart's relationship can't be 100% coincidence given Blaze was Percival), and the Olympic had a special animation when you select them as teams. Both are minor detail in spinoffs unrelated to the main storyline but I can't help feel Sonic Team are hinting some vague concept of a relationship between the two.

This is pretty much headcanon but Shadow kinda helping/guiding Silver after beating him up in 06 made me think Shadow possibly being a...mentor?like guy to him. Not a full-dedicated guardian or best friend but this guy who occasionally appear and help him. Given he wasn't sealed away, hundred of years would make him capable of guiding a young naive kid with power and potential.

Gawain was Arthur's nephew. I don't think Knuckles is related to Sonic. 

But yeah, '06 definitely seemed like they were making Shadow more of a mentor after their initial scuffle. Don't think that's the angle they'd take now, though. 

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Game-wise, SaBK had their counterpart as father and son (I don't believe in the "two are biologically related" theory, but their counterpart's relationship can't be 100% coincidence given Blaze was Percival),

What's so special about Blaze being Percival?

Percival was originally the main hero of the Holy Grail story, but over the years became a supporting character to Galahad. Galahad was represented in Black Knight even if not in the story. 

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Gawain was Arthur's nephew. I don't think Knuckles is related to Sonic. 

But yeah, '06 definitely seemed like they were making Shadow more of a mentor after their initial scuffle. Don't think that's the angle they'd take now, though. 

It can be taken Knuckles is a good friend of Sonic=close connection=nephew. Percival is obvious because he was with Galahad and Blaze is good friend with Silver. So I supposed Silver is or will have some relationship with Shadow. I only know major tales so IDK about Jet's counterpart.

9 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I want this right? But what do those characters interact or rather how, I guess now. While i'm not fond of knuckles and shadow's beef, on a base level personality wise, I get it. But I don't feel like silver or shadow really do much for each other. " Hey shadow we need to do thing " " Ok I will help you do thing'', and they can't do like.... lore stuff because sega has lockedi that down on game related stuff. I don't honestly know what those two characters do together. 

To be fair. That's pretty much whole Sonic-Knuckles relationship. And people call it "best friends"

16 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Comic-wise I can't recall any moment where post-reboot Silver and Shadow interacted.  And from how the story is laying out I don't think they will ever get any unique interaction without a situation where they need to work together.

Game-wise, SaBK had their counterpart as father and son (I don't believe in the "two are biologically related" theory, but their counterpart's relationship can't be 100% coincidence given Blaze was Percival), and the Olympic had a special animation when you select them as teams. Both are minor detail in spinoffs unrelated to the main storyline but I can't help feel Sonic Team are hinting some vague concept of a relationship between the two.

This is pretty much headcanon but Shadow kinda helping/guiding Silver after beating him up in 06 made me think Shadow possibly being a...mentor?like guy to him. Not a full-dedicated guardian or best friend but this guy who occasionally appear and help him. Given he wasn't sealed away, hundred of years would make him capable of guiding a young naive kid with power and potential.

While there could be some vuague relationship hinting, I dont think that's what is. As anticlimactic as is, shadows and silvers win animation might just be sega forgot something. Remember they forgot blaze's entire back story in regards of sonic 06. So maybe they just go " I guess these characters have beef maybe". And in the black knight I dont think the father son thing was relevant. I bet you someone thought shadow being Lancelot was cool and that's all it was. This isnt to say you cant speculate but in some cases its best to go ockham's razor on sega sonic related stuff.

As far as being a mentor goes... I think its interesting. But I dont think shadow could help silver, their powers come from very different places. And I dont think shadow could help much, telekinesis is much different than cosmic powers. And tbqh as of currently shadow probably needs a mentor, although I guess like you said time might fix that. But if shadow does become that powerful in the future, And it isn't the horrible world future. I would personally think shadow would be a hard guy to find. Nor would he feel the obligation to teach some kid, I personally think he would be more jaded and apathetic than he is now.

But again your idea is interesting.

For me personally the only interaction I want between the two is confirming mephilies and the demons are just  old black arms. And possible exspansion into shadows lore because of such a revelation.

13 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

It can be taken Knuckles is a good friend of Sonic=close connection=nephew. Percival is obvious because he was with Galahad and Blaze is good friend with Silver. So I supposed Silver is or will have some relationship with Shadow. I only know major tales so IDK about Jet's counterpart.

Again I dont think you are suppoused to take those connections as more than means to an end.

Sonic had this dream where people were knights... Thats all atleast for me it needs to be.

11 hours ago, blade57331 said:

To be fair. That's pretty much whole Sonic-Knuckles relationship. And people call it "best friends"

You arent wrong

Knuckles chaotix relationship is better.

9 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

286 spoils:

Hide contents

1wisJev.jpg?1

WHAT KIND OF FUCKING INKING IS THIS

for what's depicting, that inking's actually just fine. it's the colouring that's not keeping pace.

No, it *would* be fine, but it still isn't, because it still looks like ass. Coloring, inking, whatever. Ass is ass.

Spoiler

The lines aren't super wobbly like that on the other pages, so, yeah, the inks were most likely trying to convey the waviness from the heat/light of Super Sonic's "aura." This image is probably a good example of what they were going for:

Super_sonic_unleashed.jpg

In this case, the visual effect just wasn't executed as well as it could have been on both the inker and colorist's part.

• Thumbs Up 8

8 minutes ago, Metal the Mario said:
  Hide contents

The lines aren't super wobbly like that on the other pages, so, yeah, the inks were most likely trying to convey the waviness from the heat/light of Super Sonic's "aura." This image is probably a good example of what they were going for:

Super_sonic_unleashed.jpg

In this case, the visual effect just wasn't executed as well as it could have been on both the inker and colorist's part.

Ah, OK.

I was thinking of that possibility of that too since it was Super Sonic, so I didn't want to jump to "bad art!" before making sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I'm not of fan of that inking attempt either. Wobbly incomplete lines just don't work there. Whatever the person behind that pen was going for on that one, I'm gonna mark it up as a Loss.

Is the rest of the issue better off than that ill fated panel? The art has had some strong goings this side of Worlds Collide (cripes some of that was bad)

16 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Remember they forgot blaze's entire back story in regards of sonic 06. So maybe they just go "

Well, technically they didn't forget anything. They just haven't made up their minds yet. They introduced the 06 backstory alongside the Rush backstory - and the 06 story got shoved under the rug for a second. Then Generations and Runners happened, which kind of showed Sega was still aware of Blaze's "situation" but still made no sense as they waffle back and forth.

13 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

No, it *would* be fine, but it still isn't, because it still looks like ass. Coloring, inking, whatever. Ass is ass.

Ass is ass, but you don't blame one part for the errors of the other. With the proper colouring (mostly depicting it as overexposed white, for an example, as in 06), that inking works just perfectly for what's needed. Cassata coloured it as if it were just any other scene.