Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I'm "slightly" disappointed that this Chaotix arc is turning out to not be a the Noir mystery I was originally hoping it'd be. It's a little astonishing that something like that hasn't happened yet in any of the Sonic continuities. It's seems a bit too obvious and yet they haven't done it yet which is a shame. However, my excitement over these covers is making me not care all that much. The fact that it's got so much Chaotix all over it is one thing.

But the fact that the variant cover is mixing my two most favorite series of all time ever together for an official product is making my heart race right now. I fucking love One Piece and I fucking love Sonic. 

It's like the chocolate and peanut butter thing except a million times better. I can die happy now.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

It's a little astonishing that something like that hasn't happened yet in any of the Sonic continuities

They did, waaaay back in StH #52.

Spoilers it wasn't very good. 

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

They did, waaaay back in StH #52.

Spoilers it wasn't very good. 

Was it just Vector, Charmy, and Espio? I know it's petty but it only counts for me if it was those three.

Also, something else I didn't mention, Charmy's not wearing his helmet.

33 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Yo Vector is only 20

he shouldn't be drinking

Bloody hell how old do Americans have to be before they can drink?

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

21. He's literally just a year away from the legal drinking age. It's not a big deal if he does.

Espio's 16 though so I'm not sure why Vector's getting singled out here.

1 minute ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

It's not a big deal if he does.

this is wrong

1 minute ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

Espio's 16 though so I'm not sure why Vector's getting singled out here.

I didn't see that he was holding a bottle

1 hour ago, Shaddy the guy said:

this is wrong

Nah. I don't think so.

Especially since we're assuming that Sonic's world has the same drinking age as... the United States. The States aren't that bloody important after all. Other countries allow it as young as 18. Or 17. Or 16. Some say at least 25. 

Whatever. If it were Charmy it'd be a bit different but it doesn't matter that it's Vector. Most people wouldn't freak out if a 20 year old had one bottle of grog. 

• Thumbs Up 3

You still shouldn't. 25 makes sense in fact, it's when the brain is fully developed. Really the legal adult age and privileges should follow suit

44 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

Was it just Vector, Charmy, and Espio? I know it's petty but it only counts for me if it was those three.

No. Sonic Issue 52 featured Sonic as a detective in a black & white noir style. At that point on the comic's history, The Chaotix served a a sort of Freedom Fighter group backing up Knuckles on Angel Island.

1 hour ago, Megabeatman said:

No. Sonic Issue 52 featured Sonic as a detective in a black & white noir style. At that point on the comic's history, The Chaotix served a a sort of Freedom Fighter group backing up Knuckles on Angel Island.

I figured as much. 

I wasn't talking about a Noir story in general. Just one with the Chaotix. The idea seems like a bit of a no-brainer to me but maybe I'm just weird. 

Heh, gotta love the crocodile skull head on Vector's bandana. My only fear is in order to stir up some conflicts they will use his money-loving side and actually make him want to quit the detective business in favour of piracy. That would be so unlike game-Vector, which is why it's probably gonna happen.

I'm not too bothered this is not going to be a detective noir story. While I've always thought Universe would be the perfect medium for such a thing (and the first cover actually got me thinking they'd introduce their landlord mentioned on Sonic Channel), the Chaotix just aren't typical detectives and a quirky pirate story fits them about as much as a detective noir parody as long as it's as ridiculous as possible. Also, they've only just become detectives in the Archie Comics so I'm hopeful we'll get another "Case of the..." Universe arc sooner or later.

Also, how is there no mention of Abyss yet?

• Thumbs Up 1

They haven't really mentioned any of the other cast in this arc, have they? Even Princess Undina only gets a passing reference as "the princess", and she's on the variant cover! Ian's recent Bumblekast has indicated that Razer will play a part here, and there's zero sign of him right now. 

3 hours ago, LukA8 said:

Heh, gotta love the crocodile skull head on Vector's bandana. My only fear is in order to stir up some conflicts they will use his money-loving side and actually make him want to quit the detective business in favour of piracy. That would be so unlike game-Vector, which is why it's probably gonna happen.

I'm not too bothered this is not going to be a detective noir story. While I've always thought Universe would be the perfect medium for such a thing (and the first cover actually got me thinking they'd introduce their landlord mentioned on Sonic Channel), the Chaotix just aren't typical detectives and a quirky pirate story fits them about as much as a detective noir parody as long as it's as ridiculous as possible. Also, they've only just become detectives in the Archie Comics so I'm hopeful we'll get another "Case of the..." Universe arc sooner or later.

Also, how is there no mention of Abyss yet?

For me, it's not a matter of whether or not the pirate story works for them. It does. The upside to being cartoon detective's in a series like Sonic is that it allows for them to be more flexible for certain.

I just wanted to see a Noire story more. It sounds the most appropriate and feels like the biggest and coolest open opportunity for them at the moment. A little disappointed it won't be that but it's not a super huge, experience ruining, ultra big deal.

6 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Yeah but just because it's a homage isn't an excuse

I mean they could do a homage to Evangelion, that doesn't mean we need to see Sonic masturbating over Sally in a coma.

Now that's an extreme comparison, don't you think?

Doesn't make any sense either - If they were doing a homage to Evangelion, why the blue hell would they show Sonic masturbating instead of a giant ass robot like the Eva series is known for? Like what the hell?

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Oh come now - you shouldn't be that surprised that there was some trivial nonsense about our laws here on the other side of the Atlantic over this. lol

Regarding GoaH, I'm kinda wondering about the pacing about each issue, because it looks like they're making each issue in the arc represent a single game. I'd think that would take more issues depending on the game they're adapting, so this is something that makes me wonder how they'll pull this off without rushing.

In the first and second parts it was pretty clear that they would only be doing the ends of the game stories, so pacing would be a lessened issue there.

Have to admit, the solicit for this one does make it sound like it covers the whole game. That's just confusing if it does just do the ending again. 

Spaz and Yardley come second and third in drawing the classics well, but Heese still stands out. (Thank you Megadrive)

Something also tells me that the last part of GOAH will focus on Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

I do remember seeing a tweet by Flynn stating that he has plans for sth 300 and su 100.

Also just noticed something too late about Undina- 

Spoiler

That umbrella of hers, it rains on the inside shown in her cameo appearances, which keeps her hydrated. I think that's a pretty neat piece of equipment thats supposed to protect you from the rain but does the complete opposite.

2 minutes ago, Fusion Demon said:

Also just noticed something too late about Undina- 

Hide contents

That umbrella of hers, it rains on the inside shown in her cameo appearances, which keeps her hydrated. I think that's a pretty neat piece of equipment thats supposed to protect you from the rain but does the complete opposite.

Actually, that was evident back in the Desert Raiders intro story. Also, when did her name get revealed?

3 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Now that's an extreme comparison, don't you think?

Doesn't make any sense either - If they were doing a homage to Evangelion, why the blue hell would they show Sonic masturbating instead of a giant ass robot like the Eva series is known for? Like what the hell?

ynTeG92.png

I would prefer not to have my comics filled with sexually frustrated hedgehogs, I was making an example of what not to do in a homage, when it's untrue to the characters and series. Sure, it's more drastic than the One Piece drinking thing, but literally everything I say is hyperbole, always.

plus I'll never miss a chance to make fun of that part of eva

3 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

ynTeG92.png

I would prefer not to have my comics filled with sexually frustrated hedgehogs, I was making an example of what not to do in a homage, when it's untrue to the characters and series. Sure, it's more drastic than the One Piece drinking thing, but literally everything I say is hyperbole, always.

23775833.jpg

Besides, that was still off over what not to as a homage, given that alcohol isn't that big a deal to have.

Not trying to be a dick, but you'd be surprised what gets through that makes images of drinking look mild.

• Thumbs Up 2

also these are fictional characters in a fictional world

worth remembering that

7 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

ynTeG92.png

did you actually watch eva, or just go with hearsay? or watch it when you were like 12 and just scoff at it all?

• Thumbs Up 5

Damn. First being addicted to gambling, now drinking. Espio's growing up so fast.

Good for him. After all, alkohol to some point is healthy.