Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

As have I

And it was pretty decent.

To summerise, Knuckles gets the Emerald back and, using one of those transporters that Sky Sanctuary has, that just happened to be in the cave, he and Amy rush back to the alter literally as the world begins to close up below them. Also Amy meets Relic and Fixit for the first time. As for Naugus, he gets taken into custody by GUN. The last few pages sees Amy join King Acorn, Sally, Sonic and Cream for a tea party. And finally, we learn that Knuckles acquired one of the "fake" Master Emeralds from the cave and has hidden it somewhere on the island as a decoy.

The Off-Panel features Amy using the fake Emerald to play a prank on Knuckles and Relic that works a little too well...

• Thumbs Up 5

And so "Shattered" ends. And 'okay' end to 'okay' arc.

My biggest problem with this one is that final fight is way to easy Yes, "Eggman Dozen" had too short fight , but at least Eggman had to pull out an ace from his sleeve. Here fight is longer, but Naugus isn't winning even for a second. It really makes last cliffhanger disappointing in retrospect.

Overall I feel like this arc lacked in substance. Naugus isn't a threat for 5 sega characters, his story doesn't make him more interesting, Nixus existed for ... something and team dark are just to fill the pages. The only high parts are Knuckles/Amy interactions, and even then they kinda 'friendly friendly' thing. (Also, I'm getting a bit tired of Thomas's artwork. And he draws next arc too...) Really makes me question this 4 part structure. Maybe it should be 2x 2-parters, with Naugus being villains in second story, and no Team Dark to make it more more challenging,

...So, what do you think will happen to Knuckles now? Will Flynn keep throwing him everywhere or is it time to take a little break for him? Silver and Shadow still have their plotlines to advance, maybe it's their turn.

I'm sure Ian has plenty in store for Knuckles. I do say we let him take a break and have other characters take the spotlight in Universe, because there's still more to explore after the Chaotix finishes there arc.

• Thumbs Up 5

I do wonder whether we'll ever be able to get a comic-character arc again (ala Spark of Life). I dunno, the CotPP solicits and covers have me kind of suspicious something's up. 

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

I do wonder whether we'll ever be able to get a comic-character arc again (ala Spark of Life). I dunno, the CotPP solicits and covers have me kind of suspicious something's up. 

I was actually thinking about that too; Sally (and Nicole to an extent) are the only comic characters to have an arc so far post-reboot. Makes me think the rest of the FF's will get one eventually after PitK.

I kinda meant that we wouldn't see FF arcs again, because Meropis is getting jack all attention in the press despite all indications that its the focus of the arc. 

Granted, this is only for the big Sonic Universe arcs, back-up arcs like Hidden Costs shouldn't be out of the question. 

Well, ending was more indicating that Knuckles wants to embrace being a guardian. Isntead of looking more in his life like Rouge suggested and getting more intertwined with out-side world. So I guess we won't see him for a while.

I'm still kind iffy about this sudden change of interaction between Amy and Knuckles with compar to games. I'm not against the idea. But when two characters are shown to be very close together even thought they never showed us how they developed friendship before it. It comes of a bit forced. Escpiacally when in other medias they were always a bit antagonist to each other.

Edit: huh, so it's Sonic that instil "It's ok to tease your friends" in Amy. He is good at manipulating his friends/fans. x)

In regards to Amy's Piko Piko Hammer in SU #90,

Spoiler

I think the crystal spikes that appeared around the ends were a throwback to Rosy the Rascal's spiked hammer in the Pre-Genesis Wave universe? Not too sure about that

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Maybe a "Freedom Fighters" arc about Sally  and rest of Satam cast. I doubt Antoine can hold arc on his own.

1 hour ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

In regards to Amy's Piko Piko Hammer in SU #90,

Hide contents

I think the crystal spikes that appeared around the ends were a throwback to Rosy the Rascal's spiked hammer in the Pre-Genesis Wave universe? Not too sure about that

I'm sure it's coincidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Forte-the-Bell-Tolls said:

Can I just say once again that Ian writes Knuckles better than anyone?

Sure, Boom!Knuckles is funny and all, but Archie!Knux really feels the way I expected Knuckles to act since Adventure 1: Thickheaded and stubborn, but far from stupid. Has a short fuse, but also a huge heart. Always ready to fight, but still willing to listen to others (Except Shadow).

Post-reboot, Knuckles has had a lot of really clever moments, such as shattering the M.E. to cut his losses, tricking Nack into lowering his guard during their fight in the tournament, convincing Break Man to resist the Zetis' control long enough for him to immobilize him and now his new precaution in this issue! And the fact that he openly treats Sonic and Amy as friends despite butting heads with them really says a lot about him!

I really hope Knuckles becomes more like this in the games, instead of just standing around, bragging about how he'd do everything better without actually trying to prove it.

I kinda liked X Knuckles more (ignoring the fact that he kept getting tricked by Eggman to point of absurd). For example I miss his banter with Rouge.

Also I have a one petty complain about "Shatter World" arc: Why Flynn didn't use all Gaia monsters? I mean, I kinda see that Gaia Titan works better pushing Dark Moray or Big Mother, but are you telling me there wasn't a single story we could fight those Dark Masters (those cool wizard monsters) instead of the same generic group?

The Dark Gaia forces in general seemed pretty neglected throughout. There was more of them at the start (and that's where we saw the titan and the guardian), but the more things went on they were just driven more by the wayside, with their last notable appearances being briefly in Eggman's Dozen and with the Phoenix possession in Wings of Fire. They didn't even show up for the Universe or main book finales of the Shattered World Crisis. 

On ‎26‎.‎9‎.‎2016 at 10:28 PM, VEDJ-F said:

Lost Hedgehog Tales...update on why it's taking so long to come out.

So LHT is in a kind of publishing-hiatus now till the law issues are went trough? Well, at least it will be a glorious moment when the remaining stuff gets out. I'm sad about it but well, if one's been waiting this long one can wait a bit more, perhaps. But still, I'm no expert in the law system of USA but I find it really amusing that despite all that "this is just some speculative glorified fanfic that wouldn't make out like this in the first place due to the editor(s) being here and all and I'm not making any money with it and I'm not intending to do any harm with this" speak in the first chapter and in all the other places somebody could still claim it does all that and breaks every rule about ownerships and all. This is starting to come out as a too long lasting farce in which even the actors are starting to get sleepy on the stage. For me it seems this is starting to grow more and more about pure pride and such than anything else.

About Mr. Flynn's way of writing Knuckles, I think after listening Bumble Kast episode 9 pretty much tells how much he respects said character. And it shows in the comics as a well-made character. Funny how some Sega characters still have more depth in them in the comics than in the games even after all those "no-touchie" -policies.

On ‎28‎.‎9‎.‎2016 at 4:30 PM, Shadowlax said:

I think that development in theory is fantastic, I dont think amy is being that real, but she's true to her character its actually touching. However, she is just disregarding the problems... A so what attitude. Im not fond that, knuckle's job is too important for that. But even more its not about keep fighting, its about doing better. And that's what I want, and as jerkish as shadow put I feel like he's right, you are bad at your job , do better. Thats the advcice knuckles needs, knuckles gonna keep fighting regardless...because he's knuckles, but to to do better, that would have been real. That would executed that scene far better, the speach was woefully generic and unfitting for the issue simular to the speech rouge gave shadow on the black arms ship. Though rogues speech is worse for a couple reasons. But my point is, I want more focused problem solving. The generic speeches arent really doing anything when actually fit the problem. So what isnt the attitude you need to take

Well, I don't meant to sound too offensive but it's far more couraging than "Dur hur you are stupid" kind of comment. For me that was something that really helped Knuckles to do what he needed at the moment. If somebody just states you're an idiot and you should do things this way it most likely makes you either more defensive torwards your own opinions about how to do things or makes you feel miserable about how you can't do anything right since you're an idiot. Knuckles is most likely more the former type than the latter. My point being, while in huge doses it doesn't work that well, when needed positive couraging and stuff like that works better than blunt comments.

On ‎27‎.‎9‎.‎2016 at 5:56 AM, BlueSpeeder said:

That makes me wonder: besides the tease he gave in StH #272, has Antoine been teased by Sonic at any point? I feel like Sonic would have played around with him enough to break Antoine or something. Antoine kinda seems like that dude you know that is always the butt of the joke and finally snaps one day. Probably has already happened in the timeline or whatever, I'm kinda intrigued if Antoine was ever "bullied" or even teased around by the Freedom Fighters in this timeline.

Oh, I've been thinking around this theme too, probably from the time since in pre-reboot ("House of Cards") Sonic stated how "Dude, I tease everybody. It's what I do. ... But even still, you don't see Antoine attacking me!" (which actually made me want to see Antoine snapping to Sonic and attacking him right after the events because of some stupid teasing just to get Sonic owned. :rolleyes: Yeah I have weird sense of humour...) while clashing with Tails in the woods. Since he still seems to have same kind of attitude torwards teasing I wouldn't be too surprised about him doing it still to Antoine (too). It feels even more interesting how, about how Mr. Flynn stated in BumbleKast about everyone pretty much having already lost their pre-reboot memories, Sonic wont remember how he (seemingly) felt like a jerk because of all the teasing he did to Antoine after Antoine got exploding Metal Sonic in his face and suffered the consequenses. In #272 Sonic's pretty much acting like he's never considered his teasing being too jerkish (his grin and all). This makes me feeling like the big snap will either happen at one point or/and it has already happened at least once and the way it happened didn't make it look to Sonic (or Amy if she was even present) that it could possibly be Sonic's fault. Or Sonic's a psychopath/sadist/tiger with stripes. It could be interesting, but the way they acted in Dulcy's place about his hair gotten burned presents the fact that at least at some point it's a banter between them. Still I suppose there's a line that Antoine sees but Sonic doesn't, I just hope things wont ge too messy... like lives lost in a big war or something... B) (#272 also left me thinking whether everything Antoine says is rubbish to Sonic and/or whether Chip says is just so Super intelligent it doesn't matter what's said but more who said. Possibly just my lone opinion/speculation but that's one reason why Chip started to feel pretty meh for me.) (Sorry about long sentences, I just can't make things simple.)

And by the way, I don't think it's all right for people to tease others and think it's all right since they don't mean anything bad with it and nobody's acting violently torwards them because of it. Someone really needs to teach that hedgehog a lesson...

And well, about blaming everything on WU, I feel like it could fit. When Shattered World Crisis started to look kind of like One Piece (as in taking more time than anticipated), people started to yell how it was too long and all. Then what happened? Stuff started to happen much faster and plot became prety copy-paste-ish, and people started to moan abot the fact how story just copied itself. I don't know the real reasons about why everything became quicky after WU so rushed, but I still think like if WU would've been skipped and all the 3 issues would've been used in Crisis storyline, maybe it would've been more differing.

Oh shoot, And here I was hoping it would never come to this for me: so long a post it doesn't fit on my screen wholely.

8 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Well, I don't meant to sound too offensive but it's far more couraging than "Dur hur you are stupid" kind of comment. For me that was something that really helped Knuckles to do what he needed at the moment. If somebody just states you're an idiot and you should do things this way it most likely makes you either more defensive torwards your own opinions about how to do things or makes you feel miserable about how you can't do anything right since you're an idiot. Knuckles is most likely more the former type than the latter. My point being, while in huge doses it doesn't work that well, when needed positive couraging and stuff like that works better than blunt comments.

But shadow never said He was dumb or stupid? Hell last encounter they had shadow tried to help him mid fight. When it was revealed that nixis was fake shadow had full on permission to go " your a dumbass" or something to that effect. He chose to say nothing, what he did say was "you are kind of bad at your job." and knuckles admitted to himself it isnt the most incorrect statement. While I enjoy the ideas amy's speech, and im not a tough love all time guy. I feel like this was a moment in time where life should have smacked him in the face. Sometimes blunt life lessons are necessary and I feel like this was one of those times, because the nature of any's speech allowed knuckles to learn nothing. She just said "so what" to fixable faults. The  crux of this comic is knuckles being gullible again and getting tricked again, and nothing good came out of it. This knuckles given the same opportunity will make the same mistake....again. 

They try to use shadow as a "shadow doesnt understand" thing when knuckles explains to shadow why he wants to trust nixis but it makes no sense because he's talking to a person who's entire character arc is learning how to trust people. Heck when they split shadow shows open concern for knuckles's well being before his own. And immediately after that shows just because you trust people doesnt mean you can use deductive reasoning, and see's through nixi's shit from the jump. Respects knuckles descions and allows him to make own mistake. 

If shadow was like at the end of the "do better you jerk" it would have been completely warrented because amy's speech doesnt allow for self improvement. Its just ignoring flaws, when knuckles could be working smarter not harder.

Yeah it isnt the most....heart warming option obviously. But sometimes life smacking you upside the head, is what you need to do better. Not every harsh person is trying to bring you down, sometimes its out of genuine concern.

Edit: that said though sega sonic characters cant actually evovle in this book except under specific circumstance. And lessening knuckles gullibility is probably a nono, amd they never actually say shadow is wrong ever... Even amy says forget what shadow says instead of "he's wrong" so maybe the reason the narrative works out the way it does is because of how true evolution in that regard cant happen and knuckles needs to be... Knuckles for stories to keep happening. An unfortunate side effect 

New to this topic, but longtime reader of the books. I just managed to find a copy of the first issue of the series and now I'm looking over my collection and I'm determined to find a complete set.

On ‎2‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 8:17 PM, Shadowlax said:

But shadow never said He was dumb or stupid? Hell last encounter they had shadow tried to help him mid fight. When it was revealed that nixis was fake shadow had full on permission to go " your a dumbass" or something to that effect. He chose to say nothing, what he did say was "you are kind of bad at your job." and knuckles admitted to himself it isnt the most incorrect statement. While I enjoy the ideas amy's speech, and im not a tough love all time guy. I feel like this was a moment in time where life should have smacked him in the face. Sometimes blunt life lessons are necessary and I feel like this was one of those times, because the nature of any's speech allowed knuckles to learn nothing. She just said "so what" to fixable faults. The  crux of this comic is knuckles being gullible again and getting tricked again, and nothing good came out of it. This knuckles given the same opportunity will make the same mistake....again. 

They try to use shadow as a "shadow doesnt understand" thing when knuckles explains to shadow why he wants to trust nixis but it makes no sense because he's talking to a person who's entire character arc is learning how to trust people. Heck when they split shadow shows open concern for knuckles's well being before his own. And immediately after that shows just because you trust people doesnt mean you can use deductive reasoning, and see's through nixi's shit from the jump. Respects knuckles descions and allows him to make own mistake. 

If shadow was like at the end of the "do better you jerk" it would have been completely warrented because amy's speech doesnt allow for self improvement. Its just ignoring flaws, when knuckles could be working smarter not harder.

Yeah it isnt the most....heart warming option obviously. But sometimes life smacking you upside the head, is what you need to do better. Not every harsh person is trying to bring you down, sometimes its out of genuine concern.

Edit: that said though sega sonic characters cant actually evovle in this book except under specific circumstance. And lessening knuckles gullibility is probably a nono, amd they never actually say shadow is wrong ever... Even amy says forget what shadow says instead of "he's wrong" so maybe the reason the narrative works out the way it does is because of how true evolution in that regard cant happen and knuckles needs to be... Knuckles for stories to keep happening. An unfortunate side effect 

Well, sorry if it seemed like I accused Shadow of being "you're stupid" torwards Knuckles, that part was more about in general level, like if someone total stranger for example (it doesn't matter here) yells that "stupid" thing straight to Knuckles' face. I still think Shadow was pretty blunt the way he spoke, which was maybe not so couraging, but nevertheless it fits him more than the talk Amy had. And to me it seemed Knuckles learned at least something, because he got that decoy fake emerald thing? He's not so gullible he thinks he can continue without any preparations for possible future "repeating history" scenes. At least that's how it seems to me.

I am pretty certain Shadow understands just fine, he just isn't the type of guy to pat your head, more like to bluntly state the opinions he has, it seems. It just isn't so couraging it could be used as a drive like Amy's stuff, well at least that's how I think of it all. FEEL free to correct me. ^_^ 

So for me Amy's speech was more like of a fuel to Knuckles to get back on track, not a solution to a problems but more of a cataclyst to create something positive inside him that gets him to the point where the real stuff could start to happen.

Yeah, harsh words are sometimes needed, but trust me, when they're something you get more usually than any kind words, it starts to make you pretty quicly into a sarcastic realist/pessimist type of a guy who hasn't got that much of a drive to do anything, I think I have at least some kind of an idea how it might turn out for some people.

Yeah, Sega characters can't evolve the way they used to, the stuff that happens is much more subtle and not really something that really evolves them into "better" or "worse" people. But I think as long as there's some hints of some kind of learning from your losses -stuff, it's about fineby me.

Hope this was readable, I often hear I think too complicated. :rolleyes:

By the way, something a bit different here.

While skimming trough Arche Sonic Online forums I once again bumped into the fact Antoine was "stereotypical French". Funny thing, I had no idea prior to an adventure inside the world of TVtropes some long time ago about the fact how "American" stereotypes are partly so different from the ones that, let's say, some age or another students liking comics around here have, when I asked about it, about everybody were surprised about the fact some stereotypical views consider French people cowards. When around here (as in all inside the country as far as I know anything) most common stereotype is it's more like they all drink wine and eat baguettes and wear those striped shirts and all. For me, stereotypical French person would be someone who has temper, gets easily agitated and then starts to talk so fast I can't get out more than maybe five words out of 20 (even after 9 years of more-or-less studying language in question), is pretty proud of his/her language (and such), and, considering the looks, is a pretty dark brunette when it comes tot the colour of the hair, like more looking like Southern European (Italian, Spanish, so on) than Northern European, if you can get my point. 

My point being, I have thought around this for some time and come to the conclusion that for me it would be kind of funny if Antoine would be (for me at least) "more stereotypical" "French" person (in my point of view mind you) as in he would really, when agitated, start to talk so fast it becomes (almost) incomprehensible... well... blabber...? Again, this is just my humble opinion. Please, if you feel any different, it's all about opinions, considering stereotypes are pretty much common ideals of how we consider different groups of people than us even when those opinions might not have any leg to stand on ( = not based on any facts whatsoever or are just some random generalization based on one person from some group).

That's kinda the reason I like Antoine as he is - he's cautious than he is cowardly, and although he'll run with things are TOO much (who the fuck wouldn't?) if something needs to be done and he's there to do something about it, expect this guy to go against his cautions and charge into the fray (while still terrified) to get it done.

Never was a fan of the smug coward stereotype - that and I really hate the "cheese eating surrender monkey" trope given to the French in general given how insulting it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Agreed. I makes him a more complex character than if he was just a stoic soldier or a cowardly braggart. Pretty much every other character charges into battle with a smile, a furrow, or both on their face most of the time--having a few characters who don't always get into it is refreshing.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I just read all the issues of Shattered again to get a more proper idea on how I thought of the arc.

It was good read. 

The interaction between Knuckles, Amy and Team Dark were great. Can't get enough of them, they were great. The story felt a bit rushed to me or maybe it skimmed over a lot of details to finally get to the point where the Master Emerald is back on Angel Island, maybe it would've been better if it was just Knuckles and Amy and more about their quest instead of including Team Dark and Walter into the mix but it doesn't bother me too much, just want to put it out there is all. Speaking of ol' Wally, he was alright. He had that menacing feel to him but he also had that giddy goofy side to him as well, so that was nice as well.

Not really sure what else to say honestly, I guess Adam's pencilwork is alright. I'm not that fond of his work compared to others like Stanley, Skelly or Hesse but he gets the job done so yeah. Of course, Matt Herms' coloring is always on-point with these issues so no complaints there either.

It was a good arc, felt a bit rushed and Ian had to skim through a lot of details to keep the story going but I loved the character interaction with main cast so I ain't complaining. Can't wait to read the last part of Panic in the Sky and Case of the Pirate Princess, love me some Chaotix fun!

15 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

That's kinda the reason I like Antoine as he is - he's cautious than he is cowardly, and although he'll run with things are TOO much (who the fuck wouldn't?) if something needs to be done and he's there to do something about it, expect this guy to go against his cautions and charge into the fray (while still terrified) to get it done.

Never was a fan of the smug coward stereotype - that and I really hate the "cheese eating surrender monkey" trope given to the French in general given how insulting it is.

(Me neither. French have their culture and by that maybe some nationwide "flaws" but I really never thought of them as cowards, just lame to stereotype them all like that.) And also:

15 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Agreed. I makes him a more complex character than if he was just a stoic soldier or a cowardly braggart. Pretty much every other character charges into battle with a smile, a furrow, or both on their face most of the time--having a few characters who don't always get into it is refreshing.

For both, since I'm lazy.

Yes, I agree it works (at least nowadays, after and on all that character growth that was "lost" in some way due to the reboot). It actually worked for me maybe also because I didn't know about that stereotype right from the start, so it felt more natural and relatable than it could've/should've. And it makes him pretty good character (at least as long as I like) that he's afraid yet does what he needs to do. It's more realistic for me at least that someone in a situations like these is actually afraid of his/hers/anybodys well being and actually shows it instead of having smug grin on his/her face and going forward like nothing. One of those kind of epic moments this shows is in #272 when Antoine "questions his sanity" while going to force his sword into that enormous brute that had a Master Emerald Shard on it. It was one of the best parts of that issue alongside "the aftermath"... And let's not forget that death-threat from pre-reboot guys...

Try and guess by the way who's one of my favourite characters from this conversation if you don't have any better things to do...

And I'd still like to see him get agitated and start to speak uncontrollably fast and stuff... I suppose it won't happen though, I suppose the writing "staff"'s starting to grow tired on stereotypes.

1 hour ago, Soni.exe said:

The story felt a bit rushed to me or maybe it skimmed over a lot of details to finally get to the point where the Master Emerald is back on Angel Island.

Can you elaborate on that part? I didn't really liked this arc, but whatever, stuff are subjective.

But calling this arc rushed? To me it was stretched, using Team Dark as a filling. Entire part 3 is just fight with Omega.

I mean, 4 issues are a lot of pages. A lot of SU arc were too long, but in my opinion only two arcs were rushed: Eggman Dozen (because it had 18 characters in it) and somehow Pirate Plunder (mostly ending, since Egg of War went down with zero resistance). Maaaaybe XYL too,

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But calling this arc rushed? To me it was stretched, using Team Dark as a filling. Entire part 3 is just fight with Omega.

Yeah, I got that feeling as well. Granted, they somewhat made up for it with more pre-SGW backstory for Naugus but that whole issue didn't need to be one fight with Omega.

• Thumbs Up 1