Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

About 287: Eggman foreshadows Lost World, FF pretend they matter and rest is just Sonic & Chip Vs Gaia. Nothing amazing, but would work if art was good. Sadly.... I really missed Yardley and mobians look great, but Gark Gaia looks like plastic toy. Gaia Colossus also took a downgrade comparing to Skelly or ABT's artwork. So meh.

Even crying at the end feels kinda token since 1 I don't feel FF-Chip connection (Sonic Battle it's ain) 2 As always in this comic people cry for one page, then someone gives encouraging  speech and everything is happy for ever. Because this is serious comic,  but we don't want to end on the frown, do we?

Whole "Panic in the sky": Is it even possible to talk about it as 4-part? It's so disjointed. Most villains from issue 1 and early 2 completely disappear later from the story, Gaia shows up practically only in last issue... over all it was good, but could've been so much more.

Whole "Shattered World Crisis": As a excuse to show us a world it did a fine job, coloring us a universe almost as rich as Preboot in much shorter time. But as a adaptation it was lacking. Chip was just  bare bone. This talk about Chaos Titans may lead somewhere, but for now it's too vague. Dark Gaia leaves little impression and his minions weren't that different from punching badniks. And werehog was just a gimmick, never with bigger impact on the a story. The only element that was really explored beyond games was corrupting power of Gaia smoke (Werhog at start and Elidy)

I'll say this. The finale may have been really straightforward, and this arc may have had its ups and downs.

But this last issue? It made me feel things.

It was a nice take on the ending to a story we all know. And that's all I could really ask for here.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Even crying at the end feels kinda token since 1 I don't feel FF-Chip connection (Sonic Battle it's ain) 2 As always in this comic people cry for one page, then someone gives encouraging  speech and everything is happy for ever. Because this is serious comic,  but we don't want to end on the frown, do we?

I feel like that pretty much fits Sonic's whole M.O. and attitude, really.

I just got Sonic Boom GN and... it got me thinking. You remember how this series got canceled at the same time Mega Man went on hiatus? Like, it was at the same time, but Boom got canceled (and it was not because of sales, as they claim) and MM not. I think there was (is?) a method there. So, Archie is probably waiting for better times for Blue Bomber to come back, but they did (are doing) with Boom a thing similar to Sonic X series. They replaced X with Universe to give them a bit more creative freedom (doing a comic book on licenensed property from licenensed property have to bring some trouble). And now Boom went away and Mega Drive becomes a thing, but because of their financial trouble from begining of this year, they are taking their time.  Also if you look at both Boom and MD you can see that both of them are a lighthearted, humours stories with an emphasis on character interactions. The difference is that Boom is wacky, 4th-wall-brakeing, sitcom adventure and MD is a "what if" about classic games, with strong visual design and character expresions. I just can't stop seeing parallels beetwen all of those. Do you think it all makes sense?Or am I just little numnut and it was discussed here before in this mamoth-sized thred?

Also, I now the ship has kinda sailed, but I have to say how much I liked that part when Sonic got trapped in that cage and he went nuts because "Gotta go fast" and he coludn't. That was the best:P

If there was any reason for Mega Drive being created outside of just "Hey let's do some anniversary shenanigans," I'd hedge my bets less on Boom and MM's cancellations, and more on the gap caused by the hiatus at the start of the year.  Even with the sped-up production schedule to make up for it, it still seems the main book and Universe will have one issue less than normal this year.  So, if Archie's yearly contract with Sega required them to put out a set number of issues, it's possible the two Mega Drive issues are there to fulfill it.

Not that I exactly have proof or anything.  They probably really do just exist for the sake of anniversary shenanigans.  Still fun to speculate, though.

I still haven't got mine (shop hadn't got any of their orders for the week yet, so well...) but the preview was just like; We're about as good in here right now as nothing so let's grab something to drink and watch the show. Something akin to what guys do here with beer/something after sauna... come to think of it creepy coincidence...

It felt to me like "What we're even doing here right now? I dunno, hope we had any affect at all in this matter because it's no good to be useless since that means less panel-time and fans don't like." I hope stuff feels better after reading the whole thing, but still. I don't like the feeling how passive-aggressive the stuff between lines seemed to me considering the fact they really seemed to me somewhat... vain. And it's not right. At least for me. Really, at this point King Nigel stood out most for me considering "Panic in the Sky by three first issues.

I'm probably seeing things, and I know they (as in others than Sonic and "his purple flying chipmunkish fella") "did" some stuff but somehow they felt pretty apart from the main clash to me, like "this stuff we do is supposed to make a difference but somehow it doesn't seem like it but let's just go with the flow and try not to look too depressed". Mind you I say this considering the issues I've already got and the preview. I do hope shop's got their comics for the time I go see for my Sonic order tomorrow so I can really take a part in conversation... like I'm not taking a part anyway... 

One can always hope the actual beef in the issue is better than the stuff in the preview (which isn't pretty good idea considering previews are something some people use as a reference when deciding whether to start reading/ buying something or not) but well. Pessimists don't end up getting disappointed.

It just occurred to me Eggman is forshadowing the plot of Lost World in his internal monologue. And yet a Lost World adaptation isn't on the horizon yet...?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

It just occurred to me Eggman is forshadowing the plot of Lost World in his internal monologue. And yet a Lost World adaptation isn't on the horizon yet...?

Ian hasn't decided how to approach it yet, or whether he should even do it or not at all.

Just read the last issue, definitely felt like it was pretty rushed tbh. 

Didn't felt the tension as i would in the actual climax of Unleashed, might just be me. But it was a decent farewell to the Shattered World Crisis saga and I'm curious to see what lies ahead outside of Genesis of a Hero.

While a Lost World adaption isn't entirely confirmed, I hope to see some Zeti soon. I NEED MUH ZETI!

As for my overall thoughts with the SWC, it ranges from great to pretty meh for me. Issues like Champions and Panic in the Sky had great issues in it and were pretty fun but a good amount of the issues outside of those two felt pretty meh and typical soon, it was nice to see the new and returning characters in the new universe but there could've been a more interesting way on doing it; maybe, I don't know.

I wasn't hating any issue I read though so yeah, it really is nice to see Archie used Unleashed as an excuse to set up the new universe and it was decent ride overall.

Can't wait to read the next one!

I just finished reading it myself.

I wouldn't exactly call it rushed, but the tension did feel flat and predictable. I suppose that's the after affect of the first two issues of the arc having such high octane tension due to it throwing the heroes a curveball, since after that we knew how things would come together.

Also, that moon on the last page. Lol what's that? Continuity?!

At any rate, I'mma type up a full review of the whole arc soon, but I will say I liked some of the touching moment it gave Chip despite him not getting as much attention as he should've for much of the arc.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the flatness comes from SEGA's mandates about the writing following exactly how they want it, with very little creative freedom for Ian Flynn. And the colouring was still done by that guy who doesn't do a very good job, which really clashes with Tracy Yardley!'s awesome pencililing.

Also, it was strange that instead of inside the earth's core, the final battle took place in the middle of the ocean. Makes more sense, I suppose because there'd be no air down there and Dark Gaia's size was inconsistent because of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could deal with Gabe Cassata's flat colors or Terry Austin's lines-that-do-not-connect inking, but not both.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2016 at 9:42 PM, Shaddy the guy said:

I could deal with Gabe Cassata's flat colors or Terry Austin's lines-that-do-not-connect inking, but not both.

Judging by the solicits for the next arc, it looks like we'll have to deal with both for the next four months.

tumblr_ocbvqbz9JW1vn9ju8o1_540.png

Fanart of Titan Tails looking like All Might from My Hero Academia

Created by joeadok

• Thumbs Up 9

On 10/13/2016 at 7:23 PM, Sparky said:

Ian hasn't decided how to approach it yet, or whether he should even do it or not at all.

One of Ian's more irritating flaws, I find. Teasing things that you don't even know if you're going to follow through on is just plain bad writing.

• Thumbs Up 1

He's far from the only writer in the business who does it. And I don't mean Penders. It's a trait of cartoon, comic, and all sorts of writers across the board.

Just watch any Greg Weisman show.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the nature of Archie Sonic as an ongoing serial without the possibility of a planned end renders this sort of thing practically inevitable, much as you might with certainty lay plans which in the event are frustrated by outside interference.

• Thumbs Up 3