Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Without the word balloons, you can make so many funny versions here. King Acorn looks like he's annoyed at the fact Sally is giving him a hug for example, to then suddenly snap to happy when he sees Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 5

Considering how low my expectations are for Austin's inking lately, especially on Yardley's art, color me surprised. It still has some issues when compared to other inkers on the book (some rounded edges are squared off a tad), but it doesn't feel as rough or rushed as his more recent output.

It's not perfect, but Austin does seem to have improved with it no longer being completely jagged and all over the place.  Nevertheless, it does little to detract from Tracy's work here.  When he's in tip top form, the man's art is bulletproof.  However, I'm slightly confused whether or not Sonic knows of the gang in Knothole yet.  Was it already hinted he'd known them before the events of Sonic 1?

Isn't it weird that Snively is there with Eggman? Considering he's nowhere near Eggman is the present, last I saw he was working for G.U.N. ...

13 hours ago, Mysterion said:

No one posting previews? Okay...

Sonic288.jpg?w=630&h=968&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=

STH-288_01.jpg?w=630&h=956&zc=1&s=0&a=t&

STH-288_03.jpg?w=630&h=956&zc=1&s=0&a=t&

STH-288_04.jpg?w=630&h=956&zc=1&s=0&a=t&

STH-288_06.jpg?w=630&h=956&zc=1&s=0&a=t&

STH-288_15.jpg?w=630&h=956&zc=1&s=0&a=t&

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #288

SONIC is BACK in “Genesis of a Hero” Part One: It’s Sonic’s 25th Anniversary and we’re celebrating in style—retro-style that is!  See Sonic in his first climactic show-down with Dr. Eggman, straight from the gameplay of the first Sonic the Hedgehog game!  But what happens after the battle?  And what new force arises once the dust has settled?  It’s the story you know with a new twist! Featuring cover art by the legendary Patrick Spaziante and a “Best Buds” variant by the lovely Genevieve FT!

Script: Ian Flynn
Art: Tracy Yardley, Terry Austin, Gabriel Cassata & John Workman
Cover: Patrick Spaziante
Variant Cover: Genevieve FT
On Sale Date: 11/9
32-page, full color comic
$3.99 U.S.

Aahhhhhh! They're too cute!!!!

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I has a theory:

Reveal hidden contents

That's not King Acorn, it's Naugus.

In SU89 when he recalled everything leading up to 252, he said he "supplanted King Acorn as he had done before".

Since Naugus and the King were banished to the Special Zone together, I'll bet that Naugus took King Acorn's shape and was rescued in his place.

The fact that "King Acorn" is uncharacteristically annoyed at his own daughter hugging him is a big giveaway.

And here I was wondering whether this took place before or after the real Nigel was in the special zone. 

My mind is blown.

13 minutes ago, Gatestormer said:

Isn't it weird that Snively is there with Eggman? Considering he's nowhere near Eggman is the present, last I saw he was working for G.U.N. ...

I think his back story stated that he was a spy? Working for Eggman and then secretly letting GUN what was happening?

• Thumbs Up 4

34 minutes ago, Gatestormer said:

19 minutes ago, Spoopy Flare said:

I think his back story stated that he was a spy? Working for Eggman and then secretly letting GUN what was happening?

Both are wrong. Snively originally worked with Eggman to send Naugus to the special zone, start a war between the kingdom of Acorn and G.U.N, and then robotoicize everyone when they're too busy. After Sonic and company stopped them, G.U.N was convinced by Snively that he had been kidnapped and was really trying to stop Eggman from enemy lines when he was really trying to take power alongside Eggman. When the whole mess with Eclipse ended, Snively got called for an interview to determine his true loyalties. What G.U.N doesn't know is that Snively's planning to steal the master emerald for a plan to take power.

• Thumbs Up 9

Huh, never seen a cover and its variant done by the same artist, but it's Tracy, so I ain't complaining.  However, what the hell is detective Sonic doing in the same place and time as regular Sonic?

Huh. I thought for sure the last part of Genesis of a Hero would cover Doomsday Zone. 

But you know what? I'm glad it's showing us the Knuckles fight instead. Honestly, I think Super Sonic has been showing up a bit too often these last five years: Genesis, Worlds Collide, Worlds Unite, and Panic in the Sky. (Granted, that last one has the excuse of staying true to the source material) I'm happy we're getting a major arc finale without him for a change. (I really hope he's not in Mega Drive: The Next Level, either.) 

Don't get me wrong- Super Sonic is cool and all, but scarcity is a major factor in value. The more he shows up, the less special it feels each time.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Razorsaw said:

It's a Back to the Future reference.

As a massive Back to the Future fan, I feel so dense right now.  I guess the fact time travel isn't involved kind of threw me off.  Nevertheless, that is an awesome homage.  And it has Espio as Strickland.  Perfect.

• Thumbs Up 3

So we're getting a Lobster mobian now? Lol, we're gonna have EVERY damn species represented if they can manage it, aren't we? Would rather have had Abyss as the main villain, provided she isn't around already. The Chaotix going up against an aquatic Egg Army would be interesting if you ask me.

Also (if true), NO DOOMSDAY?! IAN WHAT IN THE FLYING BLUE FUCK, MAN?! That is a golden moment for you!

Ah well, I ain't bitchin' too much for it. I've always felt that the problem with Super Sonic showing up is because everything put before him is hardly made as a challenge or threat. Moment he turns gold, everything becomes predictable - heck, Unleashed defying that was perhaps the most shocking moment in this franchise given that Super Sonic was essentially a God-Mode status.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw yeah, these classic throwbacks are not only great for the sake of classic throwbacks, but they're also part of the actual comic canon instead of being an altered universe by the Genesis Wave like in the old continuity.

Yeah, I'm a continuity nut

• Thumbs Up 5

Sweet, some Sonic 3 love. Poor game feels like it gets underrepresented in just about every Sonic medium. despiteobviouslybeingthebestgameofthetrilogyfactnotopinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

*see's that there is Sonic Boom content in the Digest*

Either the two stories from the final issue are being stretched out over two Digests, or we're finally getting one of those new Boom stories we were promised all the back...one that they're not bothering to plug.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

This reminds me of the Sonic Quest #1 Cover:

latest?cb=20080712040008

The perspective also kinda makes me think of issue 2's cover

IMG_7458.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

So we're getting a Lobster mobian now? Lol, we're gonna have EVERY damn species represented if they can manage it, aren't we?

I'm all for more species diversity.  Better than "Knuckles clone #10004738390". :P

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm okay with (apparently) not covering Doomsday; we've had enough arcs that end with Super Sonic fights lately.