Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Same here.  May as well post my thoughts if you haven't.

To be honest, the first half of the issue feels like a waste of pages.  It retells the end of Sonic 1, and doesn't do anything even remotely interesting with it outside of "also Snively is there and he just complains the whole time".

The second half is far better, focusing on Sonic talking to the Freedom Fighters in Knothole.  There are some awkward moments, such as forced exposition in the form of the King explaining that he found a way back to Knothole after Sonic saved him from the Special Zone off-screen, but fortunately they're outweighed by the rest of the dialogue, which shows the gang bonding as friends, and their determination to save the Kingdom.

The art feels...off.  It isn't bad (outside from some attempts to replicate classic poses, which just feel out-of-place), but something's just weird about it.  Might be the coloring?

Anyway, overall, it's a mixed bag.  I just really hope the rest of the arc is more like the second half than the first.

Oh, one last spoiler: The King's shadow in one panel basically confirms he's Naugus in disguise here, as people suspected.

• Thumbs Up 2

I too have gotten Genesis of a Hero in the mail....eh, I'll have to take some hours to give my thoughts.

So on SU 91...anyone else shocked upon realizing that the title was a spoiler, or was that just me?

• Thumbs Up 2

Not really, since people called that she'd be important the moment she first cameo'd.

EDIT:Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, that is a bit of a spoiler.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, see? Amazing how it went over our heads and it was telling us the entire time. :lol: 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Yeah, see? Amazing how it went over our heads and it was telling us the entire time. :lol: 

Um...actually, I figured the title was referring to Undina being part of a pirate crew since it turned out I was on the money about the title referring to finding her. That's not what the arc is really focusing on...nor is it really focusing on the detective part of the Chaotix. 

CwLhnEmWEAAnCrL.jpg

I finally got Next Level in the mail this morning and it was a great followup to Mega Drive!

As with Mega Drive, Ian's dialogue, Tyson's art and Matt's colouring were on point as per usual! I also liked there was that small subplot where Sonic got a bit jelly about how his friends were (hedge)hoggin' his glory but he eventually learned that winning battles on your own isn't as fun as winning with your friends. And man, Metal Sonic looks just as cool as always, the only complaint is that he didn't get much pagetime as I would like I guess that's what Overdrive is for.

So yeah, can't wait for Overdrive!

Oh yeah, did read the first part of The Case of the Pirate Princess. Really liked it and enjoyed Echo a lot more than in Waves of Change, can't wait to see how the rest of the arc goes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Would it be right to assume that with the Unleashed adaption over this would be a good jumping on point to start reading the comics again?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

Would it be right to assume that with the Unleashed adaption over this would be a good jumping on point to start reading the comics again?

Not sure exactly what's gonna happen after the Universe adaptation, and while it did seem to go on for a while, its plot points will certainly play parts in the future.

At least after Genesis of a Hero, which also totally deserves a read.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, guess an archive binge of those issues would be best then. Thanks for the heads up. ^^

Just now, Blazey Firekitty said:

One: Why not start from beginning of Reboot in 252? It's only around 35 issues (okay, plus same number of SU,  some extra if you'll read two crossovers)

Two: Most likely, but not even one issue came out since, so who knows for sure? But if you're going to read "Mega Drive: Next Level 1" make sure to read "Mega Drive 1" first.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, MetalSkulkBane said:

One: Why not start from beginning of Reboot in 252? It's only around 35 issues (okay, plus same number of SU,  some extra if you'll read two crossovers)

Two: Most likely, but not even one issue came out since, so who knows for sure? But if you're going to read "Mega Drive: Next Level 1" make sure to read "Mega Drive 1" first.

The multiples number 1s is pretty weird. XD Thank you for the advice by the way. ^^

Well...some people have had one issue since the Unleashed adaptation ended.

That's how we know that Naugus was impersonating Nigel around the time of Sonic 1.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

If you skip the Unleashed adaptation, you're going to be asking even more questions about what's going on, who certain characters are, and such than if you started at the beginning of the reboot since the Unleashed adaptation laid most of the ground work for this new continuity.

I recommend starting at 252 and going from there, otherwise don't be shocked if you get lost with what's happening. With all said and done, skip everything that has to do with World's Unite. Seriously, skip it - it's not only unnecessary to understand what's going on, but it fucks with the entire pacing of the adaptation, so you're better off not bothering. If you see an issue titled "World's Unite", ignore it.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yeah, probably don't wanted to be interrupted by what I've heard is a big Xander Payne focused story in the middle of my reading experience. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

Yeah, probably don't wanted to be interrupted by what I've heard is a big Xander Payne focused story in the middle of my reading experience. XD

In an arc that features a GUN Carrier awkwardly fusing with the Mega City town hall in midair and exploding for no reason (and that apparently taking out Shadow off-screen), Xander Payne being the hero of the story somehow manages to be low on the list of problems.

• Thumbs Up 7

When I see that part, I get the impression that what Ian was was going for in the script was the GUN carrier was flying at a certain height so that it just so happened to overlap with the top half of the building or something.

...and Dan Schoening somehow interpreted it as the building somehow ending up in midair.

• Thumbs Up 5

Honestly, that whole scene could have been ignored. Instead, we could have had the Freedom Fighters and the Robot Masters die instead of Team Dark. The "no game character can die" rule didn't apply to Team Dark, it shouldn't apply here. Hell, you could have had Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Mega Man, Roll, Rush, and Proto Man survive, include the Boom and X team, and there wouldn't have been such a huge cast. But alas, it's whatever now.

Though I'm gonna be honest and say part three was the best issue in the entire crossover.

If you want to avoid having a huge cast, how about not including almost every damn Sega and Capcom franchise under the roof? They were the ones that bloated the cast - no need to kill the FF and Robot Masters who were part of the whole franchise from the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say just not include the too many of the extended Sonic and Mega Man cast in the story at all if you want to have the other Sega/Capcom franchises involved.

• Thumbs Up 1