Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Aside from the huge clusterfuck of characters, the art and coloring of Act 2 wasn't very good.

I honestly felt that WU should have happened after the Shattered World Crisis, but I guess it was done in between because maybe they knew that Mega Man and Boom were not going to have comics anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BlueSpeeder said:

The "no game character can die" rule didn't apply to Team Dark, it shouldn't apply here.

Uh...yeah it did. The only reason Archie got away with this was

1. It wasn't made explicitly clear they died.

2. It was never going to stick, which everyone picked up on and as a result instead of it increasing excitement like Kaminski wanted, it came off as a forced effort to up the ante from Collide like any Marvel/DC schlock. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

Yeah, probably don't wanted to be interrupted by what I've heard is a big Xander Payne focused story in the middle of my reading experience. XD

I wouldn't say "skip", just read after Shattered World.

Then again, I'm completionist, I like to see everythinhg, good and bad, and Unite is mostly "meh".

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, BlueSpeeder said:

Though I'm gonna be honest and say part three was the best issue in the entire crossover.

Do you mean the Gemerl debut issue? If so, then yes! Especially since I tried to get Archie to postpone my subscription at the time and they apparently ignored it.

12 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

If you want to avoid having a huge cast, how about not including almost every damn Sega and Capcom franchise under the roof? They were the ones that bloated the cast - no need to kill the FF and Robot Masters who were part of the whole franchise from the beginning.

Honestly I don't think thee was anything wrong with including the other franchises I just wish they had been introduced in the second half and have been more developed in the third half. But apparently outside of Street Fighter they weren't allowed to use the other franchises until part three.

15 hours ago, Tylinos said:

In an arc that features a GUN Carrier awkwardly fusing with the Mega City town hall in midair and exploding for no reason (and that apparently taking out Shadow off-screen), Xander Payne being the hero of the story somehow manages to be low on the list of problems.

I wasn't  reading the comics at the time (0 interest in Megaman or any of the franchises involved), but when I heard about Team Dark getting killed, I swore I was never going to read it. Haven't regretted it thus far, based on what I've heard. 

Yeah, unless you just want to kill time, you won't regret skipping Worlds Unite.

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I don't think thee was anything wrong with including the other franchises I just wish they had been introduced in the second half and have been more developed in the third half. But apparently outside of Street Fighter they weren't allowed to use the other franchises until part three.

If they wanted to use the other franchises, they would have been better off:

1) Not fucking interrupting what was already going on (this isn't directed at you, just exaggerating the hate towards WU) and waiting until the current arc was done - which admittedly might not have happened if they did given that the Megaman Series comics were nearing cancellation

2) Give more issues to allow room for the story and characters involved. It being such a clusterfuck seemed like they were just trying to cram as much as possible into the issues for the sake of spectacle rather than trying to tell a decent crossover between Sega and Capcom franchises.

• Thumbs Up 3

Let's increase the Megaman cast by saving a bunch of robot masters from 2 and 3 (also our original character Tempo)! 
Let's add the Freedom Fighters because they represent the Archie Sonic comic!
Let's add Sticks representing from Boom because it's Sonic too!
Let's add X and his buddy because we want to use their bosses they're also Megaman and everyone likes them! 
Let's have Sonic and Megaman turn evil! It's ok, they save themselves after beating everyone up!
Let's have a "serious" moment by hinting one of the main (but not important) character "die" off-screen!
Let's include every boss enemy from each other's franchise (it's ok, they're really easy to kill)!
Let's add the Deadly Six and Sigma into the villain cast! Eggman and Wily should take a break!
Let's make this original enemy character Xander Payne from the Megaman comic VERY important! Give him timespace-warping powers!
Let's include all CAPCOM&SEGA characters! We're making a bunch of promotional art so everyone want to read them! They'll make their debut in the last few issues!
Le'ts keep adding new "threats" in every issue for a cliffhanger! It's ok, we'll make sure it won't pile up by solving it within two pages in the next issue.
Let's make Sigma really strong! Like, so strong that no one can defeat him! NO ONE! Even the protagonist in their Super form! Only Xander Payne can save the day! 

.....apology for the long list, but I can go on. I think. I don't want to. 
They had some nice ideas, I would admit, but instead of using them separately they decided to smash them all together ending in a total trainwereck.

The thing that bothered me the most was the fight scene. It's just...so boring.

• Thumbs Up 6

17 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Uh...yeah it did. The only reason Archie got away with this was

1. It wasn't made explicitly clear they died.

2. It was never going to stick, which everyone picked up on and as a result instead of it increasing excitement like Kaminski wanted, it came off as a forced effort to up the ante from Collide like any Marvel/DC schlock. 

Also ... I heard people were not fond of that. So that might not ever happen again as a fake out. 

23 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

If you want to avoid having a huge cast, how about not including almost every damn Sega and Capcom franchise under the roof? They were the ones that bloated the cast - no need to kill the FF and Robot Masters who were part of the whole franchise from the beginning.

I don't think the FF should be in crossoever comics. 

It should be game people, I wanna see shadow and zero fight, not explode. 

30 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think the FF should be in crossoever comics. 

It should be game people, I wanna see shadow and zero fight, not explode. 

And I don't think that's your call to make, nor should your bias against the FF take precedence over what should or shouldn't be in a crossover.

So tell it to someone else who cares, kthanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

And I don't think that's your call to make, nor should your bias against the FF take precedence over what should or shouldn't be in a crossover.

So tell it to someone else who cares, kthanks.

no Its not Its an opinion on a comic... which is the point of the comic based threat. Also it isn't bias against the FF actually, or rather it is but less personal. I feel like when doing a crossover the important parts should be put first, and in the grand scheme of things as far as sonic goes the FF is a blip on the radar ,and isn't even liked by all the people who are aware of them. 

My bias in the situation isn't really against the FF in this one, in a mario comic, if it crosses over the mario comic exclusive characters shouldn't be in it. I think this should be applicable for most crossovers, like this one, its usually gets filled with exclusive characters people try to make cool, when in actuality the raders just... wanna see the characters they came here for in the first place actually do something.... well cool. I think the main brand of this comic is the games, and stuff from there should be the focus in general, especially when its a crossover. 

My bias lies with shadow's death. Because that was more representative of problems with this crossover than shadow dying. That's where my bias lives. Shit was a micro-chasm for all the problems with the crossover. Its funny, I don't actually care about shadow dying. Shadow dies at the end of sonic X , again. Its whatever. My issue is what that death represents? Just this flagrant disregard for how the world works, but rather what story that editor wanted to tell. 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

no Its not Its an opinion on a comic... which is the point of the comic based threat. Also it isn't bias against the FF actually, or rather it is but less personal. I feel like when doing a crossover the important parts should be put first, and in the grand scheme of things as far as sonic goes the FF is a blip on the radar ,and isn't even liked by all the people who are aware of them.

Except the FF are actually the center of the comic as much as the game cast are in the grand scheme of things - they even predate the majority of the game cast both in and out of the comic. And if you've been on the internet long enough, you'd know that not everyone who's aware of them even likes most the game cast either. So whether the FF or liked by all or not holds very little water, and this selfish dismissal of them is downright insulting to those who do like them.

My bias in the situation isn't really against the FF in this one, in a mario comic, if it crosses over the mario comic exclusive characters shouldn't be in it. I think this should be applicable for most crossovers, like this one, its usually gets filled with exclusive characters people try to make cool, when in actuality the raders just... wanna see the characters they came here for in the first place actually do something.... well cool. I think the main brand of this comic is the games, and stuff from there should be the focus in general, especially when its a crossover.

Considering your sentiments towards the FF, I don't believe that part one bit.

And given that the main brand of the comic is the whole franchise blended into one universe (bar mandates like Boom) along with it's own unique qualities, and plenty of people have come to it for more than just the games, I'd think you should do those readers a favor and stop trying to speak for what they came to it for in the first place with what you think they want from it. They have far more diverse reasons than just what came from the games, and if you don't like that you are out of luck, especially when Sega who was partially sponsoring the crossover didn't think there was any need to have the FF removed from it and were perfectly okay with them around despite it easily being in their power to demand their absence. So good luck telling your personal concerns to the head honchos themselves over that.

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Except the FF are actually the center of the comic as much as the game cast are in the grand scheme of thing.

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that in multiple points of time people have tried to make them the center. But no in the sense of actual relevance , and bunch of comic characters, some pretty important ones, like the echidina's vanished, and in the end it was a blip on the radar. And it will be the same with other comic characters too, the level of difference in popularity between comic and game characters is massive to put it lightly. 

- they even predate the majority of the game cast both in and out of the comic.

Seniority means nothing. Mighty existed before shadow or rouge, guess who's more important. And more liked for that matter. And in the case, means less than nothing, because if you ask sega who they value you more, Sally or Rouge the bat. Guess who wins. Especially if you ask sega of japan. 

And if you've been on the internet long enough,

I've been on the internet for a bit

you'd know that not everyone who's aware of them even likes most the game cast either.

Yeah. They probably make the argument that they should exist either. I don't agree , but they can make that argument. Also, usually those complaints are game play based.Also the kicker, some of those characters are extremely popular and are literally video game icons , so the level of popularity is so staggering , to even suggest that those are remotely the same is kind of crazy. Yeah some people don't like knuckles, but you gonna keep seeing knuckles because millions of people across the planet like knuckles. And people liking knuckles is why you read that comic. Or tails, or amy, or sonic , or shadow. You aren't playing the games to see sally, infact she doesn't exist. So that's why those characters seem in the way for some people, because most people actually do read the comic, because of the video games, these characters are video game icons. 

So whether the FF or liked by all or not holds very little water, and this selfish dismissal of them is downright insulting to those who do like them.

No because they are nowhere near the level of game characters.

Considering your sentiments towards the FF, I don't believe that part one bit.

Ok. 

And given that the main brand of the comic is the whole franchise blended into one universe along with it's own unique qualities, and plenty of people have come to it for more than just the games,

I dunno considering the down tick the comic has been going on for a while, and how well megadrive is doing. Maybe the comic should just be the games.

I'd think you should do those readers a favor and stop trying to speak for what they came to it for in the first place with what you think they want from it.

If you don't agree, that's ok. There are people who are. People been complaining about comic specific elements about the comic for a hot minute. 

They have far more diverse reasons than just what came from the games, and if you don't like that you are out of luck,

Or I can do what a great numbers of former readers are doing, stop buying the comic. 

especially when Sega who was partially sponsoring the crossover didn't think there was any need to have them removed from it despite it being very much in their power to demand it.

Sega puts money in bunches of stuff and then later regrets it, sometimes its sonic related. As for their power, iirc, sega was ready to just dump all Archie stuff during the reboot, Archie had to argue for it. So if push comes to shove, the FF and the world are the first to go out the window. 

Just putting out there that the Freedom Fighters were apparently added to Worlds Unite because people said they wanted to see 'em. At least I think that's what he said. If not, feel free to correct me.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Just putting out there that the Freedom Fighters were apparently added to Worlds Unite because people said they wanted to see 'em. At least I think that's what he said. If not, feel free to correct me.

Considering the large dumpster fire that was worlds unite, and Ian saying " kids like the werehog" and dedicated years to unleashed as a world expansion tool and it has not helped the sales and the sales got worse. Ontop of the myriad of people who in the end wanted the arc to end faster and it had to be rushed.  Either he needs to evaluate what he thinks is an amount of people that is a notable amount, or people are saying they want something and are just aren't buying the comic when it happens. Or he's lying, or that. 

Because one of the main complaints I saw about worlds Unite were " the characters that show up do nothing" and " why are the FF/ Xander in this " 

You know that cool poster that all those covers combined to be, that's what people wanted. What they got was a crowded mes. With most of the characters not doing anything, kind of not showing up and being less important than they should.

25 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

The comic is about sonic, and sonic is a video game character .That's the important part. 

To which Sega has also made it clear they're perfectly okay with the FF being another important part of it by allowing them to stick around. So this little epithet of "importance" you're trying to dictate isn't gonna get you anywhere.

Seniority means nothing.

Oh good, something we can actually agree on. I'll keep this in mind if you ever say otherwise anywhere else.

I've been on the internet for a bit

Yeah but see I can argue that the reason that is, is gameplay and then bring up the argument when these characters are put in better game play situations peoples opinion change.  Along with that the archie characters are not in the same realm of the game characters and that's not comparable. 

And to get back to the point,  the games are the main draw of the series, its why it exists. The comic isn't, these characters and this game stuff is more important and should be treated as such.

That is the same entitled nonsense you were spouting last year that you were called out on, over the same crossover to boot, and quite frankly I'm not interested in entertaining this shit again just because the reality of it isn't how you think it should be when the people in charge are okay with how it is as are the fans who support it.

All that needs to be said is that you aren't the one who dictates what's important in this comic, and the ones that do have no problem with what is unless they say otherwise.

Or I can do what a great numbers of former readers are doing, stop buying the comic. 

It's not gonna hurt it all that much, so what's stopping you? Go right on ahead, it's not going to change what this comic is.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

To which Sega has also made it clear they're perfectly okay with the FF being another important part of it by allowing them to stick around. So this little epithet of "importance" you're trying to dictate isn't gonna get you anywhere.

They are ok with it until someone at sega doesn't like it or it causes problems again. Or Archie gets more on fire.

Also little? We talking about comic books bout by 6 thousand people vs characters who loved by millions across the world. That's a literally a world of difference. The games and game characters are more important, flat out. 

Oh good, something we can actually agree on. I'll keep this in mind if you ever say otherwise anywhere else.

That is the same entitled nonsense you were spouting last year that you were called out on, and quite frankly I'm not interested in entertaining this shit again just because the reality of it isn't how you think it should be when the people in charge are okay with it.

I'm not entitled if i'm not fond of an element of a comic, i'm not fond of an element of a comic. Just as the people who hate every character that isn't sonic aren't entitled, they have that opinion. I don't like it its whatever.  

Also just because people who are in charge of something are ok with something doesn't mean I have to be? I have to be ok with sonic 06 because sega thought releasing that rushed piece of trash because sega was ok with it at the time? No that's not how that works, I don't have to like what Archie does, I don't have to like what sega does, and I can, have and will actively criticize them when they do things I'm not fond of. And would like them to do things I am more fond of . What are you even complaining about? I have an opinion? I'm sorry that makes you feel bad. that's kind of what this forum is for. 

It's not gonna hurt it all that much, so what's stopping you? Go right on ahead.

I kind of already have? I mainly ready universe, i have been missing large chunks of the main book for years, because well.. .the main book outside of champions has been kind of ass for years. So yes... I have. I drop in to recap and see whats up, and then stop reading. Its kind of freeing actually. A lot of the universe arcs are self contained with in its own thing, so I usually don't have to worry about the main book. 

29 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

and Ian saying " kids like the werehog" and dedicated years to unleashed as a world expansion tool and it has not helped the sales and the sales got worse.

Lets not forget that Ian isn't the only one who came to this conclusion. In the aftermath of Unleashed, a lot of Sega reps specifically stated that the Werehog received exceedingly positive reception when it was focused tested with kids.

Somewhere out there there are a bunch of kids that reaaaaly like them some fluffy were kitty. Or maybe just one kid who loves it to death and figured out to rig the system.

• Thumbs Up 7

40 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also little? We talking about comic books bout by 6 thousand people vs characters who loved by millions across the world. That's a literally a world of difference. The games and game characters are more important, flat out.

Excuse me? You must be new to the internet, because I see just as many people hating those very characters and want them removed from the video games themselves. So "world of a difference" I think not - they're hated by millions across the world too.

I'm not entitled if i'm not fond of an element of a comic, i'm not fond of an element of a comic. Just as the people who hate every character that isn't sonic aren't entitled, they have that opinion. I don't like it its whatever.

I couldn't care any less what you're not fond of, but you are entitled if you think what you like is what should be important over what you aren't fond of as opposed to what the people in charge have already considered or even what other fans would want to see. And when you act like that, you can get upset all you want when you are treated as such.

Also just because people who are in charge of something are ok with something doesn't mean I have to be? I have to be ok with sonic 06 because sega thought releasing that rushed piece of trash because sega was ok with it at the time? No that's not how that works, I don't have to like what Archie does, I don't have to like what sega does, and I can, have and will actively criticize them when they do things I'm not fond of. And would like them to do things I am more fond of . What are you even complaining about? I have an opinion? I'm sorry that makes you feel bad. that's kind of what this forum is for. 

Way to miss my whole point with this "I have an opinion" tirade when you get criticized for it, dude.

There's a big difference between "I like this, so I want to see more of it" and "I like this, so this is what should be important."

I kind of already have?

Then why are you still complaining about it if it doesn't matter to you?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooo, Next Level, huh?

Better name would be "here's more". Same shallow plot, same pretty zones, cute faces, little jokes (although I feel jokes were weaker in this one). Still, while it lacked "freshness" of original, I still enjoyed it.

As for the "plot"

Spoiler

1 There is absolutely pointless plot about Sonic going solo for a while.

2 Fight with Metal Sonic was beautiful but way too short (2 bloody pages). I hope he still plays a role in Overdrive.

3 Amy gets kidnapped... I'm not saying it's impossible, by SA1 she will still run from bigger robots, bu what's the point? Same as Knuckles getting tricked in last book I guess. By that logic, in part 3 Tails will be constantly dying and coming back to life, Sonic 2 style (more realistically Tornado will be shot from the sky).

Still all of this made me notice one Amy's problem as a part of main cast: what does she contribute?

If Sonic is speed, Tails is flight and brains, Knuckles is power and butt of comedy jokes, then what Amy does? She's kinda smart, kinda fast and kinda strong.

In more serious stories she can be heart of the group (encouraging Knuckles, reforming Shadow and Gamma, etc), but in Mega Drive here role is to make one flirty joke and hug some animals.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's only fair the FFs were in Worlds Unite, given the fact that the game cast got their time under the sun back in Worlds Collide.  Two types of fans, the ones who love the games and the ones who love the comics, got a crossover aimed specifically at them.  Okay, sure, the one with the game cast is a much smoother ride and it doesn't feature pointless deaths that have little to no meaning and end up feeling like an afterthought, but the point is there are likely enough fans of the comic who wanted the FFs to feature in Worlds Unite.  Just because they're a smaller portion of the fanbase doesn't mean they're not a portion you can make money off of.  Besides, the FFs get a lot less slack compared to the thousands of "Sonic's sh###y friends" jokes and opinions that are scattered across the internet.  Chances are keeping them in the reboot didn't hurt sales, nor does it hurt attention going towards the games cast.  Sonic Universe has been doing an admirable job in keeping them on the scene for years.

In the end, the FFs won't go anywhere, nor will Archie stop in trying to make them somewhat relevant, since if they were to go the backlash would be surprisingly vocal.  Yes, Mega Drive was possibly the biggest success in Sonic comic history and it only used the primary five characters, but everyone knew it was just a spin-off, not a replacement for the main book.  If you don't like that, fair enough.  I don't agree, but fair enough.  If you want to read a book that treats the game cast with significant importance, then stick with Sonic Universe.  However, it's not fair to simply state comic characters aren't important like the game cast, because they aren't in the games.  Almost everyone (even Amy and Knuckles at this point) in Sonic's gaming supporting cast has been barely used by Sega.  Hardly none of them appear, let alone used in so much as a small speaking appearance, and none of them are showing signs they'll be making any big returns.  Ironically, the comic does treat them with more importance because they actually continue to bother using them.  So I don't get this "Game cast is more important and should be used with more importance" talk, when hardly any of them have been playable characters, or supporting characters, in years, yet they've been consistently been starring in comic stories for over twenty years.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Lets not forget that Ian isn't the only one who came to this conclusion. In the aftermath of Unleashed, a lot of Sega reps specifically stated that the Werehog received exceedingly positive reception when it was focused tested with kids.

It was immediately got crapped on by a lot of people when revealed. So that's funny. 

Somewhere out there there are a bunch of kids that reaaaaly like them some fluffy were kitty. Or maybe just one kid who loves it to death and figured out to rig the system.

I think it was successful in one focus group, or a few, and they took it to mean a lot more than what it was. Or a silver situation, where they thought it might be cooler than it ended up being. The thing they took from that game was the daytime gameplay, they took the good part. 

You might be joking but this type of thing has happened before, happened in games all the time. It was talked a whole lot more last generation where the franchise direction change/reboot spree was happening . Things testing will in focus tests, and things not being reflective of any of the audience. While Viewtiful Joe isn't sucessfull as say sonic, Kamiya talked about how they focused tested it with kids and they kind of really didn't like it. But if they would have listened to them, they wouldn't have gotten the viewtiful joe we had, or maybe not even at all. Focus tested for games is kind of more of a toss up than its worth actually. Which is why games have largely cut the middleman have been using their audience as focus testers, the rise of the beta for just normal players is proof of this. Your audience is your focus test group, they give you feed back and the game maybe changed before release depending how far the line it is. Beta's aren't really beta's anymore. Alpha's either. 

Point is, focus testing in games ... hell in general nowadays is kind of a crap shoot. And the werehog and chips quick push under the rug might be representative of that. They ending up using the entire game as this weird focus test, and they took which parts people liked. And that ended up being daytime gameplay.

Actually, I think they got it from the fact a lot of kids were writing in wanting to see the Werehog. The people crapping on it were likely teens and adults, but they're not the target demographic of the comic so they had to put up and shut up. 

• Thumbs Up 7

3 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

I think it's only fair the FFs were in Worlds Unite, given the fact that the game cast got their time under the sun back in Worlds Collide. 

I think one of those things are worth more than the other, to the degree that one of those things are the reason the other thing is relevant and continues to exist. 

Okay, sure, the one with the game cast is a much smoother ride and it doesn't feature pointless deaths that have little to no meaning and end up feeling like an afterthought, but the point is there are likely enough fans of the comic who wanted the FFs to feature in Worlds Unite.  Just because they're a smaller portion of the fanbase doesn't mean they're not a portion you can make money off of.

I don't really think the amount warranted it, people were there for the plethora of game crossover. And now that they horribly messed that up, and the FF's existing in that crossover being one of the main complaints, they have just kind of ruined their chance at attempting that sort of thing again. 

Don't get me wrong, i'm not gonna sit here and blame the FF's for that crossoever being a pile of shit. That's dishonest ,there are much much worse reasons, but them existing in that space pops up in enough criticisms, to where maybe they have messed up using them in that situation again. Because people will tihnk back to worlds unite and go " nah"

Besides, the FFs get a lot of slack compared to the thousands of "Sonic's sh###y friends" jokes and opinions that are scattered across the internet.

Eh people say sonic shitty friends meme's all the time, that has yet to stop sonic characters from actually being popular. So this slack is less that and more, people don't know they exist. 

Chances are keeping them in the reboot didn't hurt sales,

We aren't going to know this unless sega strait up ultra reboots this book, we enter an alt timeline where the book did a full reboot, or the book leaves archie. Which from what I have been informed by people who are hired to do stuff for archie, one of them being an professor i have. Its very much on fire , and that fire could cause them to loose a bunch of stuff. So , I think IDW is more of an when than IF at this point. 

Point is, we don't have proof if we will or wont, but i'm interested in seeing the receipts. I think it might have. 

nor does it hurt attention going towards the games cast. 

it kind of did in worlds unite, which is the genisis of this conversation. 

Sonic Universe has been doing an admirable job in keeping them on the scene for years.

Sonic universe been better than the main comic for years. Sonic universe has been better than the main comic since its inception. For a couple reasons, one I think the format of sonic universe works, best. And not even in the format it is now, It would be tight if sonic universe whenever it was about a character, they strait up up re branded the book to be about that character. 

But the main reason universe is better than the main book is because universe reveals some flaws with sonic himself vs the narratives they are trying to tell with that character. 

In the end, the FFs won't go anywhere,

Eh we'll see. That archie fire is burning pretty hot. 

since if they were to go the backlash would be surprisingly vocal. 

I don't think so. I don't think it would be as loud as people say it would be. Or rather, the vocalness wouldn't really pushed sales one way or the other. 

Yes, Mega Drive was possibly the biggest success in Sonic comic history and it only used the primary five characters, but everyone knew it was just a spin-off, not a replacement for the main book. 

I think it was more successful than just the audience for the comic normally. I think game specific comic narratives would just do well. I think if they released like specialized like anniversary sonic adventure comics, those joints would sell gangbusters too. I think there is an acquiescence for " this about this game with no comic stuff what so ever" and that's it. It plays on nostalgia and no one has to be indoctrinated into the story, and it allows characters to introduced to new people directly. 

However, it's not fair to simply state comic characters aren't important like the game cast, because they aren't in the games. 

They still are more important even if they aren't. That's kind of the level of popularity difference we are dealing with. 

Almost everyone (even Amy and Knuckles at this point) in Sonic's gaming supporting cast has been barely used by Sega. 

Eh, didn't they just put knuckles in a new classic game. And then started a whole spin with knuckles, amy and shadow in it. Don't get me wrong, I wish they were being used as much as before. But sega still obviously cares about these characters, hell a bunch of them show up in the damn lego thing. That could have just been sonic and tails and have been done with it. But t wasn't so clearly people care. And clearly sega does. 

Hardly none of them appear, let alone used in so much as a small speaking appearance, and none of them are showing signs they'll be making any big returns.

Big's FIshing adventure 4 dude its coming watch. 

Ironically, the comic does treat them with more importance because they actually continue to bother using them.  So I don't get this "Game cast is more important and should be used with more importance" talk, when hardly any of them have been playable characters, or supporting characters, in years, yet they've been consistently been starring in comic stories for over twenty years.

I don't really agree with that. One because just because you are being used as a character doesn't mean you are being used correctly. This reads as some take what you get type shit and i'm not with it. I don't like it , I criticize, that complacency shit is bleh. But even more so than your statement kind of ignroes the myriad of comics that don't star them and center around in world comic exclusive bullcrap. You act as if that these characters were in the forefront where knuckles was kind of sidlelines by his whole family at one point. Just because chaarcters are being used doesn't mean they are being used as much as they should, nor does it mean they are being used correctly. 

33 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Actually, I think they got it from the fact a lot of kids were writing in wanting to see the Werehog. The people crapping on it were likely teens and adults, but they're not the target demographic of the comic so they had to put up and shut up. 

So the reason I kind of don't buy this... is because people crapped on the werehog in the game. And i'm just going to be honest here, if so many kids were writing n that they liked that thiing, and there was no change in sales. Either someone is lying or those kids aren't representative of the comic's demo. You say they had to put up or shut up, but they did. Comic sales continued to tank, and unleashed ending had to be rushed. They put up in the most effective way possible , not giving them money. And making it look like they were going to give them even less. 

7 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Excuse me? You must be new to the internet, because I see just as many people hating those very characters and want them removed from the video games themselves. So "world of a difference" I think not - they're hated by millions across the world too.

Everything thats popular has haters. But if it makes money you kind of don't worry about that. Yeah just because some people don't like shadow doesn't mean they stop selling his merch, he's by their words, the most popular character that isn't named sonic. If they just stopped selling his stuff, thats literally lost profits. Haters in this sense aren't indicative  of negative profits, they were never going to interact with your products in the first place. Same for knuckles or amy too, heck there are millions of people who hate sonic. But he's literally one of the most popular characters in the world still, and that still makes them more popular than everyone in that book. So I don't know what your point is. Having haters doesn't mean the poeple who like you, like you less. Putting out bad video games might make them do that though. 

I couldn't care any less what you're not fond of, but you are entitled if you think what you like is what should be important over what you aren't fond of as opposed to what the people in charge have already considered or even what other fans would want to see.

That's... called criticism. " i'm not fond of this, I think it would be better this way, here is why" that is called criticism. You can't get upset, because people criticize and don't like a thing you like. As much as I don't like the people who actively crap on any character who isn't sonic, I have the accept they have the right and aren't entitled because they don't like those characters. Its just how they feel.

Maybe you are trying to say the nature of criticism is entitlement? While that might be true, I'm not here for philosophical debates. 

And when you act like that, you can get upset all you want when you are treated as such.

What are you even talking about. 

Way to miss my whole point with this "I have an opinion" tirade when you get criticized for it, dude.

I didn't miss any point, you literally got hurt because I don't like the FF that much. Or rather didn't like them in worlds unite. and Felt like I was being entitled... when I just had an opinion, and still are upset. 

There's a big difference between "I like this, so I want to see more of it" and "I like this, so this is what should be important."

Both of those are valid forms of thinking. Sometimes people don't think the thing you like is valuable and think the thing they like is more valuable and will argue for it. Its life dude.  

Then why are you still complaining about it if it doesn't matter to you?

Because I like sonic and want the main book to be better? 

• Thumbs Up 1