Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Psh, you think THAT'S a rip off? I remember a booth at motor city comic con with issues in the 100's going for $100 each! But the funny thing is that i went to big bens comic oasis and saw original prints of 13 and 25 for 2 dollars each. And they were having a sale so they ended up being a dollar each!

Depends on the condition. The early issues, in near mint condition, can go for a decent price, especially the mini series.

But yeah, Sonic Firsts is not worth anywhere close to $75. I've no idea what this "special issue" thing is though.

Well, after skipping exactly fifty issues, I picked up #215 of the regular Sonic series (I've been picking up the odd issue of Universe these last few months).

First off; am I the only one who got an issue with an extra staple in the middle? I wonder if that's going to become a regular thing. Anyway! On to the issue;

Was surprised to see Butler drawing the main story, I was under the impression that Yardley was basically their main artist now. Still, art is fairly nice. Plot-wise, I've gotta hand it to Ian for spending a page actually acknowledging and fixing past inconsistencies with Rotor's views on guns. Does kinda make it feel like he actually pays attention to fan feedback and actually gives a damn about the series somewhat.

Side story (and Silver in general in this issue)? Okay, we get the idea. They're making Silver out to be an idiot and rehashing his mistake in 06 of "Fix the future by going back in time and killing the good guys". The art was nice, and I have to hand it to them- the colouring in Silver's side story was absolutely beautiful.

Quick opinions on the current Universe arc;

Fairly interesting, nothing spectacular. Bunnie being mistaken for siding with Eggman and exploiting it was fairly fun, if nothing spectacular. Antoine's 'suicide' was laughably false, but I suppose it's a kids' comic, after all.

In all, the comics do look like they've improved a bit since I stopped reading them back with issue #164. Not to say they're great now by any means, but they're certainly better than they were back then. I must say though, for someone who's missed four years' worth of the comic, I certainly don't feel like I've missed much. They're still referencing things that happened back when I was reading it as though they're recent.

Also, surely I can't be the only one who thinks the whole 'traitor in the freedom fighters' plot is going end up being a massive cop-out? Silver's mistake with Rotor certainly doesn't bear well, since that almost suggests the entire thing could just be Silver's mistake and that there is no traitor at all.

You missed some awesome stories, honestly. I'm not too surprised you stopped with #164; that capped off the worst story of Ian's run. But the Scourge arc, the Enerjak arc, and the stories for the landmark issues of 175 and 200 where all pretty good.

Your opinion of the stories do more or less reflect mine: good, but nothing spectacular. The comic's taking something of a breather after all the big events as of late.

Ian had only just picked up the series recently where I dropped the comic, right? I seem to remember Ken was still in charge for most of what I read. Around that point, and for years before that (Ken and his stuff isn't exactly all that liked, is it?), I'd found the comic very unimpressive, and at #164 I was running a bit short on cash and thought "You know what, sod it. I can't really afford to keep getting this and the Sonic X comic every month". Or rather, I could, but I was trying to cut back my spending in any way possible, and saw the comic as a lead weight I could afford to drop.

Okay, I got a job shortly after that, but just didn't pick the series back up again. It was fairly bad where I'd left off and had been for most of the time I had been reading it, so I assumed it would still be the same.

The biggest thing I know I've missed has been the whole Iron Queen thing, which from what I've heard, most people didn't like? Other than that, I know Bunnie and Antoine got married, Knothole got destroyed, Eggman went crazy and Rotor became a retired cripple. :lol: Have I missed much else? D:

A lot of the bits and pieces inbetween, maybe? =P

I'll admit that most of Ian's earlier work wasn't all that impressive since he was just trying to get rid of pretty much any loose end that all previous writers didn't dwell on for years before they left; leaving them feeling clogging with a lot of past continuity and not much else story wise. Considering you last issue, 173 is a pretty good starting point if you want to get back. Some of the "unclogging" is still in progress, but it's no where near as plot heavy as the previous ones.

None of the Universe issues weren't all that bad (barring 2, 10 and 12 for me, but that's personal preference) and are also something to look into.

Edited by Illuminous_Orb

eBay is full of ripoffs when it comes to Sonic comics. No Sonic comic, not even the earliest ones, are worth near that much.

It's worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

So I just finished reading the whole Knuckles series and I have to take back anything I said about Penders last month. This is probably the best thing he did for the comic. Freakin' amazing three year run, great characters. It wasn't so good when the artists switched up, but Manny Galan and Penders were amazing.

A lot of the bits and pieces inbetween, maybe? =P

Well, I meant important stuff. :lol:

I'll admit that most of Ian's earlier work wasn't all that impressive since he was just trying to get rid of pretty much any loose end that all previous writers didn't dwell on for years before they left; leaving them feeling clogging with a lot of past continuity and not much else story wise. Considering you last issue, 173 is a pretty good starting point if you want to get back. Some of the "unclogging" is still in progress, but it's no where near as plot heavy as the previous ones.

None of the Universe issues weren't all that bad (barring 2, 10 and 12 for me, but that's personal preference) and are also something to look into.

Nah, I can't be bothered playing catch-up. I might not even 'carry on' properly now, and just pick up the odd issue as and when the mood strikes. Even if I do actually carry on getting it, I have a rough idea of all that's happened since I left off. I'm good. :D

As for Universe- Issue #15 was the first one I got, skipped #16, but got #17 and #18. Also went back and downloaded #1-12 on my iPod through the Archie app, so I've actually read most of Universe as it is. :lol:

Edited by Mahzes

The descriptions for StH #219 and SU #22 have arrived!

sth219.650.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #219

"In Service to the King" : Sonic and Geoffrey St. John are sent on a perilous mission into the Special Zone. Nothing two heroes can't handle, right? That is until the shocking twist that puts one of our heroes in mortal danger! Then, in "From the Inside, Out" Dr. Eggman reveals the restored Lien-Da - but what has he done to her?!

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn.

ART: Jamal Peppers, Tracy Yardley, Terry Austin, John Workman & Matt Herms

COVER: Jamal Peppers, Terry Austin & Matt Herms

Shipping Date: November 17, 2010

On Sale at Comic Shops: November 24, 2010

Newsstands: December 7, 2010

32-page, 40 lb glossy stock, full-color comic

$2.99 US

su22.650.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #22

"Treasure Team Tango: Part Two"

Blaze joins Team Rose as it faces off against Team Dark for the Sol Emerald! But as fire and fists fly, a third team sneaks in to add to the chaos! Who is "Team Hooligan," and will they be the ones who come out on top? The laughs and mayhem continue in this latest story arc!

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn.

ART: Tracy Yardley, Jim Amash, Phil Felix, Jason Jenson

COVER: Tracy Yardley, Jim Amash, Ben Hunzeker

Shipping Date: November 3, 2010

On Sale at Comic Shops: November 10, 2010

Newsstands: November 23, 2010

32-page, 40 lb glossy stock, full-color comic

$2.99 US

Keep in mind that the Lien-Da story has been replaced by the Sonic Colours tie-in.

Edited by Immortheus

Just recieved #216 in the mail. Silver's master is revealed in the back-up story. For anyone curious as to who it is, it turns out to be

an aged version of Mammoth Mogul.

Just recieved #216 in the mail. Silver's master is revealed in the back-up story. For anyone curious as to who it is, it turns out to be...

I really wish I hadn't pushed that button, interesting choice though.

Just recieved #216 in the mail. Silver's master is revealed in the back-up story. For anyone curious as to who it is, it turns out to be

Ohhhhhhhh SNAP

That is BRILLIANT

Bloody hell, I take it you live in the US and subscribe? That's early, I only just got #215 here in the UK. D:

Bloody hell, I take it you live in the US and subscribe? That's early, I only just got #215 here in the UK. D:

Yep! I was surprised myself that it arrived so early. I just got SU #19 about four days ago. I guess there are advantages to being subscribed. Edited by chaoscontrol14

Hmm, so the whole

I will wait and outlive you all and THEN set the wheels in motion because I can't beat you meddling kids right now

thing finally comes full circle with the help of our time-travelling friend's existence? I seeee~

I live in the UK so I can't subscribe direct from Archie anyway. D:

Also I still bet Archie cops out with this whole traitor plot thread. =/

Edited by Mahzes

Gosh darn it ,really?

I'm sad now. I was sure it was Mephiles. With all the hints in Sonic Grams at Mephiles, I was sure he'd appear. Darn you Mogul!! Mephiles needs some love!

Also I still bet Archie cops out with this whole traitor plot thread. =/

I'm not so sure, I still think they have a traitor in there midst.

Thanks a lot. Can you please scan that page? And tell us what happens in this back-up please? Thanks in advance

I'm not so sure, I still think they have a traitor in there midst.

I dunno, I just can't see it, myself.

I mean, they seem to be trying to pin it on either Sonic, Sally, Antoine or Rotor, right? All four of those are far too main to betray the group willingly, the way I see it. Unless the pull something similar to the evil Antoine they did years back, which in itself has already been done.

The way I see it, it's either going to feel forced (as in, a character being a traitor when it doesn't suit them and little has suggested it), or it's going to be accidental or a misunderstanding or something. Again, the fact that Silver assumed Rotor was the traitor based on a name mix-up doesn't give me much faith in his warning of a traitor to begin with.

You seem to be concentrating on the main characters, we already know that most of these characters go on to the events in 25/30 years later which kind of rules them out, but there are characters that are close to the main story yet won't be missed if they turned out to be evil or something.

Well damn, wasn't expecting that person to be the one involved. Seconding Dr Spudhead on his thoughts of the whole thing :blink:

Thanks a lot. Can you please scan that page? And tell us what happens in this back-up please? Thanks in advance

Ask and you shall recieve! Here's a spoiler-riffic summary of the issue, as well as a few shots of some pages.

1.Silver attacks Rotor, but decides to help Rotor when he finds out people are in danger.

2.Sonic and the Arctic Freedom Fighters attack Eggman's totem pole mind control thingy.

3.Augustus, Flip, and Sealia attack the underwater section of the base guarded by Orca members of the Dark Egg Legion while Sonic, Guntiver, and Erma take on the ground level guarded by the controlled Walruses.

4.The cover is actually misleading, as Sonic never fights the Orca except for an out-panel strip that references Sonic Adventure/Sonic 06.

5.It turns out that Erma can briefly blend into the background, much like Espio.

6.The Orca on the cover attacks the three underwater infiltrators.

7.It turns out that the Walruses and the Orcas have always been in conflict over control of the arctic.

8.The Orcas' used their sonar to confuse the Walruses, helping Eggman to gain control of their minds.

9.The Walruses keep getting controlled simply because the Orcas keep using their sonar to confuse them so Eggman can take advantage of them.

10.The Orcas joined the Dark Egg Legion simply to have the Northern Seas and the herd under their control.

11.Silver and Rotor arrive and make their way into Eggman's Totem Pole base.

12.They find a neural interface for direct mind control and Rotor suspects Silver may be able to snap everyone out of Eggman's control using his psychic powers.

13.It turns out Silver's powers are more telekinetic than telepathic. He can give someone a headache, but that's all the experience he's had with mind control.

14.Rotor persuades Silver to use the neural interface and he frees the Walruses.

15.The Orcas were hit extra hard by Silver's blast, as their sonar makes them vulnerable to psychic blasts.

16.The tower collapses and everyone's safe.

17.Rotor and Silver regroup with Sonic and the AFFs.

18.Everyone has dinner with the herd and Silver learns that Boomer was just Rotor's old nickname.

19.Silver doesn't think of this mission as a waste of time, as his psychic blast made it so Eggman can never control the herd again.

20.Everyone celebrates.

21.Tails, Antoine, and Bunny return from their debacle on Cocoa Island.

22.Sally says she needs Bunny for a mission with Sonic.

23.Silver returns to the future and encounters the aged Guardian Edmund.

24.Silver reveals that every time he's gone back to the past, something changed in the future, regardless of how small it is.

25.The Space Colony ARK is revealed to have crashed into Mobius, and lays dormant in a rocky wasteland. Silver comments that it's been there for years.

26.Edmund briefly mentions a great "Krudzu Spore," something that Silver does not remember, a result of his time travel.

27.It turns out Silver was the one to destroy the root of the "Krudzu Spore." This, of course, is news to him.

28.Edmund criticizes Silver for listening to his master, calling him a "sad sack of lies."

29.Silver reveals it was his master that taught him how to harness his powers, and he still has a lot to learn from him.

30.It turns out that Silver wasn't supposed to go back in time without his master's say so.

31.Silver hoped his master wouldn't notice that he had left, but his master contacts him telepathically revealing otherwise.

32.Silver leaves Edmund and continues his telepathic conversation with his master on his way back to him.

33.His master reveals that Silver's training is incomplete, and that he'll need some more work before he becomes a "Knight of Kronos". LOL, Sonic 06 achievement reference.

34.Silver reveals that while he was unable to determine the traitor, he did eliminate one of the possibilities, leading him closer to the truth.

35.His master says that he has made many mistakes in the past, and he doesn't want Silver to make those same mistakes.

36.Silver's master is revealed to be an aged version of Mammoth Mogul.

Whew, now for the page shots. Apologies for the crappy DSi camera quality.

hni0054.jpg

HNI_0049.jpg

hni0050.jpg

HNI_0051.jpg

hni0052x.jpg

hni0053x.jpg

HNI_0055-1.jpg

Enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 2

Once again, thanks a lot, you're awesome :)

Can I just ask for a picture of Edmund please? Last request, promise lol.