Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Jesus christ sub service is messing up constantly all of a sudden. First the Next Level, then Genesis of a Hero being a week early, then that being two weeks early. 

Maybe that's their way to compensate; the average will go more towards the actual releasing-schedules that way. ^_^

55 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Jesus christ sub service is messing up constantly all of a sudden. First the Next Level, then Genesis of a Hero being a week early, then that being two weeks early. 

It might be a way of an apology for anyone who has a subscription only to them. Would make sense to me, as subscriptions are not cheap, and you will be getting them earlier than most people without one 

Is it me or does that almost look like traced-over 3D art?

...I don't mean that he traced over existing artwork, but that they literally look like a bunch of 3D renders that were rotoscoped into 2D?

• Thumbs Up 2

I must be stupid, what does an art thread that hasn't been updated in 3 years have to do with the comic?

EDIT: nvm it's right now, that was weird. Anyway yeah, definitely traced 3D work. Does not work well outside cell-shaded 3D games.

4 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Is it me or does that almost look like traced-over 3D art?

...I don't mean that he traced over existing artwork, but that they literally look like a bunch of 3D renders that were rotoscoped into 2D?

Yeah, that looks super shit

Just read StH #288 Genesis of a Hero part 1, and while it included the Final Zone crusher boss for the millionth time, at least this time it wasn't a throwaway reference like the other times. That and this plot actually takes place in the comic's canon instead of a dimension of classic Sonic-ness. XP

• Thumbs Up 3

One little tidbit it reveals that's worth mentioning:

South Island moves around, as per the old manual story.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

One little tidbit it reveals that's worth mentioning:

Hide contents

South Island moves around, as per the old manual story.

Yeah, I do remember reading that. I guess Naugus was onto somethin..

Okay just read 288. I'm going to rant for a while, so how about we start with a thought exercise; if you were to write a Sonic 1 adaptation, how would do it? My idea

Spoiler

Remove EVERYONE except for Sonic and Eggman. Focus it on their relation, emotion, hatred toward each other. Show why Sonic is the great hero and why Eggman is the great villain.

Ok actual thought: I never liked idea of Sonic 1 adaptation. Watching Sonic run though zones isn't that exiting (maybe it could work in short animation, but not in the comic). And at this point I already read four Sonic 1 adaptations: this, 20th birthday, Sonic X comic and some veeery old and obscure tie-in thingy. Sufficient to say, I'm getting really sick of them.

What 288 has to offer? Not much really. Green Hills, meeting Freedom Fighters, first fight with Robotnik (who for some reason is never called that in this issue), all of this was in "Genesis". 288 has Final Zone, but we had this too.. There are some jokes and nice artwork, but one week after Mega Drive 2 it feels rather "quaint". Honestly, putting those two so close together wasn't a good idea.

So what did we learn from this issue? Well that Snively worked for Eggman. And that Naugus replaced King Acorn. And that Sonic inspired FF to fight for Freedom. Read: facts that we mostly already knew. And even then, this isn't interesting story on it's own. It's just clearing some fact, like Naugus' flashbacks in "Shattered".

Lastly from more technical standpoint, story suffers from "tell, don't show", like saving king from Special Zone. It almost feels as if we missed issue or two.

So do I hate it? I guess not, but that's because my expectations were already set in my basement. I just hope next issue have some surprises in their sleeves.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds more like this was meant to solidify the Reboot with everything in this issue from the looks of it.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Sounds more like this was meant to solidify the Reboot with everything in this issue from the looks of it.

So that how we celebrate 25th anniversary? With clean-up issues?

In that case I would prefer something something like Origin Series. For example have Sonic and Eggman flashbacking about Sonic 1 and commenting about how it went. That way we would have crystal clear view on how things went, instead of FF just kinda knowing Sonic from somewhere. I could live without that fight with "Egg Pistons" (which let's face it, no matter how classic, will always be somewhat anticlimactic final boss for game that started it all).

Alright, guys. Enjoy this exclusive first look at Part 2 of Pirate Princess! 

Spoiler

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo2_540.jpg

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo4_540.jpg

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo5_540.jpg

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo3_540.jpg

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo6_540.jpg

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo7_540.jpg

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo8_540.jpg

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo9_540.jpg

tumblr_ogfppnpptw1uhg3oyo10_540.jpg

If these aren't showing up, please let me know.

• Thumbs Up 6

21 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

if you were to write a Sonic 1 adaptation, how would do it? My idea

Hide contents

Remove EVERYONE except for Sonic and Eggman. Focus it on their relation, emotion, hatred toward each other. Show why Sonic is the great hero and why Eggman is the great villain.

Eggman is the great villain because he's some jackass going around using small defenseless animals to battery power an army of goofy looking robot who couldn't conquer a donut shop much less the world, and Sonic is the great hero because he stops Eggman from doing that shit.  It's really kinda cut and dry.

The only way I could see a comic adaption of Sonic 1 (and 2 and CD) happening with just Sonic and Eggman is if it was done in the style of the Mega Drive comics.  Open up by adapting the Japanese manual story and then devote 5-10 pages per zone fleshing out some basic information such as:

*What is Eggman doing in this zone?  We already know Green Hill Zone is where Sonic found Eggman up to no good again and Scrap Brain Zone is Eggman's current base, but what about the other four zones?  Give them a bit more purpose beyond "a series of locations between Sonic's starting point and Eggman's current base".  It doesn't have to be anything major, just a simple "there's a Chaos Emerald there" would suffice. It's worked for the Mega Drive comic after all.

*If Sega would allow it, flesh out the lore of each zone.  Who build Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone, and the totem poles of Green Hill Zone?  Who's living in the buildings of Star Light Zone?  What the heck is Spring Yard Zone even supposed to be!?

Then wrap it all up by fleshing out the ending of the Chaos Emeralds restoring South Island and an epilogue that teases the events of Sonic 2 (16-bit).

That's just my fantasy though.  I wouldn't want Archie and Flynn to attempt it from the burnout of all the Sonic 1 adaptations you listed.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/8/2016 at 10:40 PM, ContinuityFlubs said:

Dunno if this is old news by now, but has anyone else seen this?

Reveal hidden contents

Hold the phone.... that shading style looks familiar........ IT'S SONIC SHUFFLE! When they go through the portal in the intro they look like that! Hopefully this means that we're not getting a Shuffle adaptation though, that be weird.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now that you mention it, the overall staging of the cover does look similar to the Shuffle boxart (Sonic bottom centre, beams of light coming from behind them, etc.) then again if it is Shuffle-related you'd think the characters would he holding cards as per the boxart.

Also if it's Shuffle-related, it could just as easily be a themed variant cover, not necessarily a full adaptation.

• Thumbs Up 2