Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I'm gonna say it likely has absolutely nothing to do with Shuffle, even as a variant cover. But if it did, would the comic be able to get away with using Void and Lumina? I mean, the games are 100% never going to use them again, so...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Read GoaH yesterday and as much as I found it a fun, nostalgic joyride, its continuity's left me even more curious.  Not long ago, I assumed Sonic lived on South Island, meets Eggman for the first time, defeats him and follows him back to Westside, thus meeting the Freedom Fighters.  Clearly this isn't the case any more.  Makes me all the more desperate for another encyclopedia.  It didn't detract from the viewing experience, but it did leave me wondering why they haven't made any attempt at showing a rough timeline as of yet.  I also wish they showed Green Hill Zone, since it is supposed to be the events of the very first title, but at least the end result left space for a throwback to the old Sonic Kids stories.  Never thought I'd see something like that happen again, crikey.  However, as much as Tracy was on the top of his game here, Austin's inking does him no favours.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

Read GoaH yesterday and as much as I found it a fun, nostalgic joyride, its continuity's left me even more curious.  Not long ago, I assumed Sonic lived on South Island, meets Eggman for the first time, defeats him and follows him back to Westside, thus meeting the Freedom Fighters.  Clearly this isn't the case any more.  Makes me all the more desperate for another encyclopedia.  It didn't detract from the viewing experience, but it did leave me wondering why they haven't made any attempt at showing a rough timeline as of yet.  I also wish they showed Green Hill Zone, since it is supposed to be the events of the very first title, but at least the end result left space for a throwback to the old Sonic Kids stories.  Never thought I'd see something like that happen again, crikey.  However, as much as Tracy was on the top of his game here, Austin's inking does him no favours.

Hell yea, I'm also intrigued about the new continuity and past that connects all these characters and games together.

Not to be a huge continuity nut or anything

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/11/2016 at 0:40 AM, ContinuityFlubs said:

Dunno if this is old news by now, but has anyone else seen this?

Hide contents

hmm...

is it me Sally doesn't seem so similar to Rafa knight's one?

Spoiler

sals_by_drawloverlala-dao4jm4.png 

its looks a bit like this Sally    sally_redesign_by_longsword97-d70dy91.pn

but oh well XD

Wasn't there originally something in the game canon about Sonic being from Christmas Island? I wonder if that's in the comic now?

1 hour ago, Potada said:

Wasn't there originally something in the game canon about Sonic being from Christmas Island? I wonder if that's in the comic now?

That's where he was born,yes. I think Ian might have mentioned something about it before, but either way it's not that important. Sonic was born there, but his call to adventure lead him to leave early on.

11 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

On one hand, I want to say AWESOME! But sorry Flynn, I couldn't even get into the Sonic Boom Comics despite you writing for them. So that's still a hard sell for me.

On the other hand, it's great for you that you're being recognized, which might make me watch the episodes you wrote. Now if only we can get you into the games... er...no I completely forgot that you wouldn't have even the slightest control over the direction. So I would rather you not be in that position.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm mildly exited. I mean, Flynn isn't that great comedian, but little change of pace shouldn't hurt.

Who knows, maybe working with animation will allow him to try stuff he couldn't do with a comic.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/11/2016 at 5:22 AM, QuantumEdge said:

There's an old adage, "show, don't tell." I'm imagining that at this point, Ian/Archie might want/prefer to show as much as possible before getting to something like that, since they aren't under the same duress they were when creating the Encyclopedia before.

Speaking of the old continuity, Jay Axer just made a blog post on DA, talking about when he worked on the book, though processes, changes, and some fun sketches, too (I love the one for Bunnie's redesign!).

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm one of the handful of people who finds Ian's Humor funny (I actually just read his Boom comics and thought they were pretty good) so I'm very excited to see him on Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

What the actual hell was Axer thinking with that Ray design? lol

Looks like a Geoffrey St. John cosplay with Adidas and a Halloween button.

• Thumbs Up 2

Y'know, even all these years later, I'd still say Axer was one of the best artists the book has ever had. His art was so detailed, yet at the same time, so simple and easy on the eyes.

I'd LOVE to see how he'd do on the book now that he's had over a decade more experience.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Y'know, even all these years later, I'd still say Axer was one of the best artists the book has ever had. His art was so detailed, yet at the same time, so simple and easy on the eyes.

I'd LOVE to see how he'd do on the book now that he's had over a decade more experience.

Agreed. 

Remember those page 1 cover splashs Axer did for each issue? Those were epic!

I still remember his work on issue 125.

or as its better remembered - Look how much better J Axer is than everyone else, the comic.

I don't think its a stretch to say from a pure talent level, Axer is a head above every other artist to ever work on the comic not named Spaz. Those two are far and away the best talents the book has ever seen when they are allowed to cut loose. Their addiction to detail makes their work nothing short of a joy to behold.

Thats not to say the other artists the book has had are no good. Yardley shines when he needs to, and I've always been a fan of S. Butler. Even Gray did some good work within his home style.  But Spaz and Axer are on their own pedestal. I'd give anything to see them back doing art within the book.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as Butler, Spaz and Axer packed a lot of detail into their drawings, they also didn't shy away from drawing furry tits on as much stuff as they could, and that's just kind of uncomfortable at times. Yardley has the most "Modern Sonic-esque" feel to his drawings, but really the current modern 2D art isn't super great or dynamic as-is.

That was foreshadowing. I think Skelly has the most dynamic poses and expressions in the comic, of any artist. It really does feel like reading a saturday morning cartoon with the amount of bounciness and life she puts into the characters (not to mention always being slated for some of the best and most character-driven issues).

Honestly though, Evan Stanley is probably my favorite artist, even if she isn't necessarily the best at everything. The posing is a little stiff at times, but character's heads always look like they're drawn in 3D, without any of the hassle of actually being 3D. Plus, she never draws side-mouths and still makes things look good (not unlike the Boom cartoon, evidently) and that's always impressive. Plus, her Eggman is just fucking glorious.

Spoiler

RCO013.jpg

Look at that. Sexy.

Spoiler

And yes, I see the irony in my favorite artist also being the one to draw Rouge with her tits out in her webcomic, fuckin sue me

• Thumbs Up 4

Anyone else excited for SU #92 tomorrow (those who hadn't pre-ordered it anyway), the continuation of the Chaotix caper and introduction to moar undersea Mobians. Aquaians? Seabians? Meropians?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure SU#92 isn't tomorrow, despite what the initial solicits said. #288 was last week, and there hasn't been a preview at all yet. 

Edit: Never mind, Archie themselves are promoting the issue as coming out tomorrow. So this is just going to be a very late preview. I wonder...

I dunno if it was stated already, but what species is that pink weasel-looking pirate from the current SU arc? I mean, it'd be kinda redundant to have a weasel when the captain is clearly an otter. I feel I should know, but I can't place it...

On 11/13/2016 at 6:52 PM, Shaddy the guy said:

As much as Butler, Spaz and Axer packed a lot of detail into their drawings, they also didn't shy away from drawing furry tits on as much stuff as they could, and that's just kind of uncomfortable at times. Yardley has the most "Modern Sonic-esque" feel to his drawings, but really the current modern 2D art isn't super great or dynamic as-is.

That was foreshadowing. I think Skelly has the most dynamic poses and expressions in the comic, of any artist. It really does feel like reading a saturday morning cartoon with the amount of bounciness and life she puts into the characters (not to mention always being slated for some of the best and most character-driven issues).

Honestly though, Evan Stanley is probably my favorite artist, even if she isn't necessarily the best at everything. The posing is a little stiff at times, but character's heads always look like they're drawn in 3D, without any of the hassle of actually being 3D. Plus, she never draws side-mouths and still makes things look good (not unlike the Boom cartoon, evidently) and that's always impressive. Plus, her Eggman is just fucking glorious.

Reveal hidden contents

RCO013.jpg

Look at that. Sexy.

Reveal hidden contents

And yes, I see the irony in my favorite artist also being the one to draw Rouge with her tits out in her webcomic, fuckin sue me

Axer and spaz,are by far and large the best. Also what?? Afraid of boobs?