Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

2 minutes ago, Legendary Fusion Kahuna said:

Personally, I was hoping we would be getting a Blaze arc. But from the looks of things this arc may be focusing on Antoine. He's had his moments, but hearing that he's getting some more focus is pretty cool!

Hide contents

Why am I getting the feeling that Mordred Hood will show up in this arc?

I thought/think so, too.

58 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Loving how Archie and SEGA's seemed to have eased up on the no Freedom Fighter exclusive arcs. Can't wait for the next Universe arc!

I guarantee that they could only do it because Sonic's in it though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Super Special coming back is something I kinda sorta suspected after Archie's own Super Special Magazine made a surprise, unsolicited comeback this month, which I'm happy with.

-The Sonic issue is nothing to get too excited about, since it's just going with the motions imo. No offence to T-Rex, who's usually a decent artist, but that variant cover is hideous.

-Sonic Universe is something I most definately didn't see coming. I was genuinly expecting another standalone to pad out the road to 100. While I do think certain aspects of the Freedom Fighters stories do still have questions that could stand to be answered (Antoine being one of them), I have to agree with VEDJ-F in feeling that it's an odd thing to do when there are still many characters unaccounted for post-reboot. Otherwise, this makes me genuinly curoius to see how the issues surrounding 100 will go.

I noticed that Nicole hasn't been seen or mentioned in any of these solicits/covers.

Perhaps that incident with the Sky Patrol put her out of commission for the time being?

More like she's recovering somewhat. Isn't she still in the Miles Electric tablet?

T'Rex's variant is just him tracing some CGI renders and it's very bad IMO. But it's not the first time he does that, and it's still ok with Archie, which I don't understand. If they really want some CGI, Rafa Knight will provide a better job...

• Thumbs Up 3

FF universe, huh? Sure why not. Just give me more Silver, Blaze or Team Dark after that, they don't have a main book to play in.

So I just read SU 92. My thoughts on it and previous part

It's fun. For me Flynn fails when he tries to be deliberately funny (because he overuses puns, 4wall and references), but when he allows humor come from characterization, it really works (like Omega or Cream in Treasure Team Tango). So far, this is easily best Chaotix arc, they funnier than "Quest" 46-49, but are much more competent then in "Caper" 63-66. Story moves slowly, but for a good reason. Bunch of new characters are introduced, and while I didn't fall in love in any of them, I already know everyone's deal (which is much better use of time than long fight with Omega). Lastly I have no idea how  story will end, and that's a big plus.

Only complain

Spoiler

First seven pages when Chaotix "join" pirates is awkward as hell. And Shellbreaker buys it, no less

As much as I really like T. Rex, he does have his off days.  Still, like the prospect of getting what sounds like a breather story.  As for SU, I'm on the fence.  On the one hand, this arc is just turning what was supposed to be a spin-off for supporting characters (i.e. anyone not Sonic, or the Freedom Fighters) into an extension of the main comic.  On the other however, the implied structure has the potential to help characters like Antoine, Bunnie and Rotor become more fleshed out and introspective.  We'll see how it pans out.

Well well well... This looks AWESOOOOOOOMEEEE!!! Sorries, but that was the first reaction I got when I had scrolled down from all of those Archie covers to see this stuff. I'm all hyped up, that really sounds epic! Yeaah! This might even be something a bit foreshadowed in Eggman's Dozen. But yeah, now we're talking! I just hope I'm not all over the place when this Universe arc begins! I just have one complaint: SU #95 supposedly comes before StH #292, so it's going to feel a bit odd... again. Like a flashback... But still! I'm hyped! Thank you very much Mr. Flynn, if you ever see this post! Yaay, I'm such an Antoine fan I'm probably scaring a lot of people out of here with all this hyping! I seriously hope SU #92 has come to the shop so I'll have something good to do (as in reading it and making people question my taste on comics while doing it in public, people around here are such narrow-minded some of them don't even know who Nostalgia Critic is...) with the sparetime waiting my Swedish lesson to start... obligatory second language due to the countrys history -things you see... But what's that supposed to mean, that "mystical" part (in SU # 95 solicitation)? I'm so very confused... I just hope I'll get at least some sleep, with or without Antoine in my dreams...

Yay!!! This made my night!!! :D ^_^ XD XD X'''''D d>^<b

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Personally I'm digging the idea of a single Freedom Fighter focus story in Universe. Then I actually like the Freedom Fighters so.

I honestly was not expecting to see the Super Special Magazine ever come back so that's...neat I guess? I mean it seems kinda redundant with the Digest and all.

The main book sounds fun. I like that it's a one shot that's going to set up where we go from here. Plus I'm honestly feeling like we might be seeing a four issue Lost World Adaptation with the Freedom Fighters Universe "Arc' and all.

All-In-all I'm interested.

I'm down for Freedom Fighter focused stories too, we've spent enough time on Game characters.  I've been itching to fill in more of their individual backstories and flesh out their personalities since the reboot.  So far they have just been "there" and haven't provided much except being Sonic's backup so I welcome more stories for them. For those characters not accounted for since the reboot, I really can't think of anyone really important except the Babylon Rogues like VEFJ-F mentioned.  Maybe they will be popping up in one of the Freedom Fighter stories as villains?

And to be honest, I don't understand the negativity for these issues right now (way before anyone has seen them too) but then again I've never understood the negativity and hair splitting people have about the comics in general.  I really have had no problems post-reboot except for the ungodly length of the Shattered World Crisis.  Maybe I'm just easy to please in my old age.  I have 20+ years of reading the comics under my belt and I can think of way worse stories than this that were approved in the past.  I'll only complain after I read the issues (if there is something to complain about).

• Thumbs Up 3

Something that's just occured to me: nowhere does it mention that "Freedom Fighters" is a 4-parter. Could it still be one and they just neglected to bring it up, or could this be an extended arc...?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Something that's just occured to me: nowhere does it mention that "Freedom Fighters" is a 4-parter. Could it still be one and they just neglected to bring it up, or could this be an extended arc...?

Could just be no reason to bring it up.  Don't think Archie would have a reason to change the series format.  I'm thinking each part is focused on an original Freedom Fighter: Part 1 Antoine then Bunnie, Rotor and Sally.

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Loving how Archie and SEGA's seemed to have eased up on the no Freedom Fighter exclusive arcs. Can't wait for the next Universe arc!

The FF can have their own arcs...so long as a SEGA character is with them. we assumed it was a mandate sometime back when Sally and Nicole had their own Universe arc but Big and Tails were with them.

Notice how the group is splintered in #292's cover? Its:
~Sonic, Antoine, Bunnie
~Rotor, Tails, ??? (Big?)
~ Cream, Amy, Sally

Nicole, like everyone is guessing is a ghost in the machine atm so we won't see her physically for awhile and I'm guessing big because of the Universe cover but it could be just Rotor and Tails or Nicole could be going with them instead (Doubt it though).

• Thumbs Up 1

That variant cover looks like it's supposed to be spoofing a movie poster, maybe. Perhaps it's not finished yet? Maybe they'll be going over it to give it that painted look that so many posters back in the 80s had.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly think that Universe variant should be the main cover. Wells has definitely come a long way.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

For some reason I have a feeling we'll get several one or two issue Universe stories for each Freedom Fighter.

... wait, that wouldn't be right, looking at the 292 cover, that would probably be an Antoine issue, a Bunnie issue, a Rotor issue, and a Sally issue, which would basically be a four issue arc made up of four possibly separate stories anyway. That could be why, perhaps? Four "Freedom Fighters" issues(or perhaps more?) that aren't an ongoing arc?

I'm sure one, or even two issue per FF member is too short. Nicole's arc was a 4-parter (but then 50% was new character and fighting), if they try squeezing it into one they won't be able to cover much.

I'm more wondering about what would each member's arc focused on. Nicole was a mix of her backstory, her relation with Sally, Ellidy and Nikki, Phage's introduction, and new ability. They're all going to be family related with a lot of flashbacks, I'm sure. But what else?

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, theirs already plans for #300 Ian has been planning it for awhile now. since its a special issue, this whole FF splitting up thing is either gonna be only 7 issues long or were gonna break it for #300 then go back to it for #301 and on.

Hey long time Archie Sonic fan. I started collecting these when #25 came out, and subscribed all the way through 150-175ish.

I have three questions:

1) How much is a subscription these days?

2) Do I have to order from inside the comic itself like the old days? or is there a website I can just order them from?

3) What issue are they on now? I can't even imagine lol

Thanks in advanced!

36 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Hey long time Archie Sonic fan. I started collecting these when #25 came out, and subscribed all the way through 150-175ish.

I have three questions:

2) Do I have to order from inside the comic itself like the old days? or is there a website I can just order them from?

Thanks in advanced!

Can't answer the first. As the other two:

2) You can order pretty much anything from Archie online or with the forms in the comics.

3) Sonic's on 288, Universe is on 92.

EDIT: now I can answer the first. 27.99 for 12 issues, and 47.99 for 24 issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have three questions:

Thanks in advanced!

Hey there, and welcome to the forum! At the current moment, there are three series running for Archie Sonic:

Sonic the Hedgehog, the main book, currently at issue 288;

Sonic Universe, a series that runs side stories usually in the same world of STH, currently at issue 91;

and Sonic Mega Drive, a mini series that takes place during Sonic's Classic era, currently on issue 2, also known as The Next Level.

One thing to note, though: the Archie Sonic series went through a rather large reboot, which starts in issues 252 and 55 of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe. So, if you want to jump back into the series, that might be a good place to start.

Hope this wall of text helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really happy about the Freedom Fighter arcs but to tell you the truth I'm really curious as to what Blaze and Silver are up to. We haven't seen Blaze in, what, 40 issues?? And her status with regard to what she remembers from the old world and what she doesn't really hasn't been settled yet. You'd think with all this pirate business she'd show up somewhere...

I'm hoping next arc is a follow-up to Silver Age. It was a really interesting and unique plot line that has just been totally ignored since.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, didn't Ian say that Blaze was the most difficult for him to write an arc for given how little we know of her dimension and had to be with another character for him to make it work? I coulda swore he said something along those lines, but either way, I wouldn't expect a Blaze arc too soon unless one of our other characters hitches a ride to the Sol Dimension again.