Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

4 hours ago, blade57331 said:

I'm gone be odd one here and say that I actually would like to Sonic be a bit of jerk, in reboot he barely has any flaws. Nobody is perfect, and it fits to such cocky character as him. And it was Amy who thought that Knuckles had to get it explained. But he said that he doesn't care about Sonic. So I don't see much problem there.

No he didn't. That's the exact opposite of what he said. 

The lines were "Don't tell Sonic about any of this." 

Amy said, "You don't want him to know you've got a soft side."

And then he straight up replies, "I don't want to deal with him teasing me."

That's what he said, verbatim.

And I'm all for Sonic having flaws if it's something that the comic acknowledges as a flaw and not an endearing character trait. That scene was put there to explain why he does it and it was talked about again later in that same issue. The characters laughed it off. The comic very clearly doesn't see it as a "flaw" or a problem at all, so as it stands, I take issue with it. I feel like Sonic is a character who's flaws were, ironically, very well displayed in something like Sonic Lost World. The way that game handled it after introducing it was garbage but the initial scene of Sonic being cocky in a manner that didn't outright insult his friends and instead saw that his inflated ego unintentionally dismissed his friend's concern by punting away the Magic Conch Shell when Tails was in the middle of trying to explain something to him, works a lot better. 

And the game acknowledged it as a flaw. It did fuck all to properly address a solution for it, but the characters didn't just laugh it off as something that wasn't a big deal.

So that's my take on it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

No he didn't. That's the exact opposite of what he said. 

The lines were "Don't tell Sonic about any of this." 

Amy said, "You don't want him to know you've got a soft side."

And then he straight up replies, "I don't want to deal with him teasing me."

That's what he said, verbatim.

And the game acknowledged it as a flaw. It did fuck all to properly address a solution for it, but the characters didn't just laugh it off as something that wasn't a big deal.

So that's my take on it. 

And what he said after that? "I don't care if he cares". It's logical that you may not caring for someone but that doesn't mean that you are fine with consistently be forced to deal with that person.

You are right. Characters didn't just laugh it in Lost world. They just simple ignored it. Nobody pointed out to Sonic what he did wrong. 

It's questionable does this game really itself acknowledged his ego as flaw. Since Sonic conclusion on his rush-actions was "If only I was faster"

1 hour ago, blade57331 said:

And what he said after that? "I don't care if he cares". It's logical that you may not caring for someone but that doesn't mean that you are fine with consistently be forced to deal with that person.

You are right. Characters didn't just laugh it in Lost world. They just simple ignored it. Nobody pointed out to Sonic what he did wrong. 

It's questionable does this game really itself acknowledged his ego as flaw. Since Sonic conclusion on his rush-actions was "If only I was faster"

He said he doesn't care if he cares because he hates being teased by Sonic. In that same line he pointed out that Sonic teases Eggman as a rebuttal to what Amy said. And she responded to that by saying he mocks Eggman and that there's a difference. They don't explain what the difference is but I guess I'm supposed to just take her word for it. Knuckles straight up said he doesn't want Sonic to find out because he doesn't want to be teased by him. That's what he said and he obviously does care whether or not he gets teased. Saying he doesn't care if Sonic cares is him saying "I don't care what Sonic's reasons are for doing it. I don't like it." It's not "I don't care about Sonic". He obviously does or he wouldn't bother asking Amy to keep it a secret from him.

No, they didn't ignore it as Sonic did in fact point out that what he did was wrong in the cutscene where Tails and Eggman fought. And Eggman pointed out that what Sonic did was wrong in the cutscene after it happened. In fact, Sonic himself said he should have listened to Tails at the end of the cutscene where he screwed up and Tails said "Ya think?" So no, they didn't ignore it. They screwed the pooch on fixing it and instead forgot that it was the actual issue half-way through. Instead suddenly saying that the problem was that he wasn't fast enough, which makes no sense.

That was only in the scene in the forest. That's an example of the writing of the game fucking itself up and suddenly shifting what the actual problem was to be about something else. The game definitely did initially start out by saying that Sonic's problem was that he acted too quickly and did something stupid because of it. Later on, it contradicted itself because it was written poorly by a duo that has very confused writing tactics. However, that doesn't change the fact that the beginning of the game was a very clear example of acknowledging his ego as a flaw. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, yes. He said he doesn't care beacuse he simple, doesn't care if Sonic is caring for him. But of course he isn't up for being teased in general. Sorry,I kind of misreaded what you were saying. I'm just saying that Sonic and Knuckles aren't really that close of friends and therefore them teasing one enother isn't so bad with compare to like for example Sonic teasing Tails or FF.

About Lost Worlds. Hmm... yeah, you are right.

I've been wondering about something for a while: What's the situation with Storybook games in Archie?

Is Flynn banned from mentioning them or chooses to ignore them, since no one seems to care anyway?

• Thumbs Up 2

Someone already mentioned, but the comic is making it very obvious Undina has some type of power.

Most obvious is the one panel with a close up of her smug face with her bindi glowing, "coincidence" bolded. Also Dive's glazed look with another smug Undina in the background.

If not, then it's a nice misleading. If it is, I wonder if the ability can be used for all creature with angler fish blood?

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I've been wondering about something for a while: What's the situation with Storybook games in Archie?

Is Flynn banned from mentioning them or chooses to ignore them, since no one seems to care anyway?

Well they are complete spinoff that doesn't connect at all to the main story...and despite all his friends having roles, Sonic is the only one that experiences it.

I don't know how they can mention it because...if they do it can only be a reference to it ("you're good at using swords! who taught you?" "A talking sword!" "what?") which can be confusing for some fans, or Sonic telling everyone with the other characters either concerned or rolling their eyes.

5 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Someone already mentioned, but the comic is making it very obvious Undina has some type of power.

Most obvious is the one panel with a close up of her smug face with her bindi glowing, "coincidence" bolded. Also Dive's glazed look with another smug Undina in the background.

If not, then it's a nice misleading. If it is, I wonder if the ability can be used for all creature with angler fish blood?

Well they are complete spinoff that doesn't connect at all to the main story...and despite all his friends having roles, Sonic is the only one that experiences it.

I don't know how they can mention it because...if they do it can only be a reference to it ("you're good at using swords! who taught you?" "A talking sword!" "what?") which can be confusing for some fans, or Sonic telling everyone with the other characters either concerned or rolling their eyes.

A story in Avalon would make for a good place for Black Knight references.

Like, maybe the legend of King Arthur could be a thing there and relevant to the story, and Sonic could be surprisingly knowledgable on the subject.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'd say that descendants of the knights would be cool, but we'd run into a sticky issue with the one Knuckles played, since echidnas.

3 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I'd say that descendants of the knights would be cool, but we'd run into a sticky issue with the one Knuckles played, since echidnas.

Who says they have to be the same species/characters? Knuckles, Shadow and everyone else were just playing the parts in the book. The real live individuals may have been completely different species altogether.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Yep, that game is kind of paramount to sonic having a bad drug trip after reading a book. Those characters with those people aren't relevant to each other, this sort of happens a lot in cartoons, one of my favorite examples is when rugrats just strait up did noah, or a more commonly done one is when characters act out " famous Christmas tale" . those characters are, at best a visual representation of the character with relevant media that allows for the audience to get into the story with out having to introduce a bunch of new characters or rather have them be someone familiar with the form so they don't overwhelm people.

8 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

They couldn't do that sort of. 

One because they have specifically said they kind of want the characters backgrounds even at this point to remain... vague and adding relatives is specifically against that in comic. But more so for characters like shadow and knuckles , their backstories are purposefully vague. We get updates occasionally on echidina lore in game and in comic but where knuckles comes from or what tribe he's from is purposeful ( I think for the worse mind you ) vague. Maybe his tribe was descended from some powerful knight warrior. But we don't know, they give us no info on the subject. And Ian can't just make that up.He's actually like forbidden from doing exactly that.

Shadow is an even bigger mystery. Depending on what you feel shadow exactly is , it either doesn't make sense, or isn't really satisfying. Keeping this short because it can get rather long. 

Spoiler

I didn't mean that Shadow, Blaze, etc. would the their descendants, since their likenesses were just used to portray the knights. And since the actual knights upon which they were based are public domain (if that term even applies to myth, folklore, and legend), creating new characters descended from them shouldn't be an issue the way it is for actual SEGA characters.

The only problem would be that one was an echidna; you could have another hedgehog and another cat with little trouble, but another echidna is more problematic, given the whole Knuckles situation.

16 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Who says they have to be the same species/characters? Knuckles, Shadow and everyone else were just playing the parts in the book. The real live individuals may have been completely different species altogether.

I guess that could be a thing, though it seems like it would dilute the concept so much as to bring into question why do it at all if it won't resemble the game?

Anyone know if Thrash, Sharps the chicken, Max the monkey & Mach the rabbit will ever come back?
and whats the deal with Mina and Ash? are there gone or unavailable?

Thrash; Technically available, but likely gone due to baggage.

Max/Mach/Sharps: Usable, it's just a matter of when Ian can find a space to fit them in.

Mina/Ash; Gone due to being from another writer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I didn't mean that Shadow, Blaze, etc. would the their descendants, since their likenesses were just used to portray the knights. And since the actual knights upon which they were based are public domain (if that term even applies to myth, folklore, and legend), creating new characters descended from them shouldn't be an issue the way it is for actual SEGA characters.

It is a problem, I shall explain. 

The only problem would be that one was an echidna; you could have another hedgehog and another cat with little trouble, but another echidna is more problematic, given the whole Knuckles situation.

There are characters, by vurtue of their backstories, and where they are from and unique ness of design. They  have to be directly related ( and in several characters sakes it already makes no sense). Especially shadow. 

I guess that could be a thing, though it seems like it would dilute the concept so much as to bring into question why do it at all if it won't resemble the game?

Maybe not everything from the games needs to be inducted into the canon as it is. Like comic book heroes having a bunch of different versions of themselves... its just a fun story where the sonic characters were used to play out events. Nothing really more than that. So if you can find a value to include the characters that's great, but ifyou want to, its complictaed.

On 19.11.2016 at 3:52 PM, BlueSky said:

You're not the only ones here feeling like this. Actually I fear something bad might happen if Sonic (at his "he's perfect and understanding whatever he does" -fangirl assisting him) keeps going like that, making those "witty" comments that more or less diss others. It's good thing his friends don't have as short of a temper/tolerance as I do in things like this.

I pretty much wonder how many guys would actually side or have sided already with Eggman just because Sonic's such a jerk sometimes. I'm starting to wonder if this upcoming issue is having a very bitter end... Sheesh, I really should stop making these "worst-case-scenarios", world politics are all over the place already, we don't need comics going that road too,,,

It would make an interesting turnpoint/plotwist/whatever but well, better keep my thoughts as my own around this matter. And the least thing I'd like to see would be Antoine suffer...

As long Archie Sonic doesn't get Fleetway Sonic bad...

"Tails you dumb Pixelbrain!"

• Thumbs Up 3

On ‎21‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 3:40 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

To me that sounds a logical way to use them. Like, in games Sonic just might've described them to himself as his friend's look-alikes because their personalities click or something like that. In that way he'd feel more in-context in a way while being a part of a story that seemingly has no relations to his normal "habitat" whatsoever as far as I can imagine. He's just trying to wrap his head around the concept of living/running around in a storybook or something.

So that's why I think the comic/real-life counterparts could very well be of entirely different species thus we wouldn't have a problem (for example) thinking about Echidnas and such. B)

About those raw covers, any idea why I feel SU #95's uncoloured version is looking a bit nicer than the coloured? :huh:

4 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

As long Archie Sonic doesn't get Fleetway Sonic bad...

"Tails you dumb Pixelbrain!"

Well, actually, StC was something I thought about when thinking Sonics teasing. At least in StCO seems to be like "everybody dissing everyone" -fight or something, even the Chaotix dynamics were kind of alien to me... Maybe it's just that part of the culture kicking in (as far as I know that seems like a lousy stereotypical way to describe British friendsihp stuff or something how everybody's treating everyone there... I know better than that to say everybody's acting like that in there) but that's one of those cultural things I don't get. Some of British stuff I like but this kind of "nasty stuff" isn't really that high on that tree. Well, I agree, Fleetway got it worse and I'm actually somewhat content of the fact Sonic's not as butt in Archie's Sonic as in StC.

... That doesn't mean that I'd tolerate such behaviour from any of my friends, even from (someone like) Sonic. And I can appreciate the fact he has flaws, but the way how Mr. Flynn talked about the matter in one of those BumbleKast episodes about Sonic not meaning anything bad for it just makes me feel a bit uneasy. I get it, he's witty, but does that actually give you a permission to hurt others? If I get witty I try to channel it into the situation at hand more than people in the said situation thus making it harder for me to hurt someone. It's nicer to laugh with people than to laugh at people, even when Sonic's not laughing that much... (And Eggman's pretty much a psychopath so he gets around with or without insulting even if that's not the point, and he's no friend but a villain so that'll do anyways connsidering the context and Sonic's attitude...) It just is that if Sonic wants to have friends around him he should sometimes think a bit about how they feel about the way he treats them. If not he might someday find himself without (some of) them.

But maybe I was overreacting. At least that's what I hope. ;) (I think I got the point...) I just feel a bit panicky about losing my favs in the shows/comics/etc. I really like, and somehow I manage to pick those up that end up suffering...meh.

... What that "Pixelbrain" was supposed to mean per se, again? I've been wondering that for some time now...

Well, I got the SU #92 on Monday (there was by the way other clerk this time, told me it's not that unusual that they sometimes get doubles in ordered issues...)

By the way, it seems "the mystery of the starfish" is revealed; it was just a random starfish that somehow got to the deck with them and placed itself a bit too near to Vector's headphones. I suppose this is the case since pretty same-looking starfish has ended up lying on the deck after the little... workout. Poor Echo, hope she'll listen to the guys and believe them...

And really... Razor & Blade... very cute. Hahhahhaa...

And please, raisins are fine, at least if it's müsli or something like that we're talking about.

But well, this seems interesting enough, also when considered by the long shot, all that moral stuff (like medicines) and things about Abyss and such.

Oh, has anybody any idea by the way if that Archie app's Sonic discount will last till 28th? I'm not that good with all these American discount date things...

I'm perfectly okay with Sonic taking lighthearted jabs at his friends. Gives him more personality than "Real power of Team Work lets stop Eggman *insert vaguely witty comment here*"

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm totally good with Sonic teasing his friends. That's what friends do.

What I don't think Sonic do is to be a jerk and it's shrugged off as OK. 
I mean his surrounding people seem to dismiss as such.

I think it's realistic if some characters dislike him because of his offensive remarks.
Like, his closest friends doesn't take it seriously because they totally know him and how he acts.
But normal people outside this "group" takes it seriously and gets offended, like Knuckles. 
If they're close enough they can be explained and persuaded that Sonic meant no harm; if not, then it can lead to trouble.

These people may be suffering because they are understanding Sonic incorrectly, but that doesn't mean Sonic's action isn't bad.
He is sometimes a jerk, that is fine, but that is supposed to be a flaw. A flaw that sometimes need consequences instead of being justified and excused as totally fine.

People are over exaggerating StC Sonic's behaviour, often using one page of the "Porker leaving" story, without taking the ending of that very story in context, where Sonic apologizes.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only problem I have with Sonic's teasing nature, he's the only one allowed to do so and get away with it. But he doesn't get any of his own medicine fed to him by his friends, which makes me question why they are friends if they don't playful indulge in picking on Sonic either. Friends kinda need to be equal in their own merit, especially if they are teasing and making jokes to each other. This is why I like Sonic Boom, many of his friends and Eggman heckle on Sonic as much as he famously snarks back at them. Obviously they make Sonic have the most "Humoristic Edgy" characteristics because he's supposed to be a cool and hip image, but I would really like it if say Knuckles gets a gib in once in a while instead of hating being offended by him because Knux has plenty to be proud of that makes him equal with Sonic in his own way. Hell I'd like it if Amy just throws a epic comeback when Sonic brings his usual cocky one liners on Amy Rose's flaws only to get dissed as good as he gives. He doesn't least expect it and fails to retort because it was a burn of legend. That's the kinda dynamic I want Sonic's friends and loved ones to display. I makes them charismatically as cool and as memorable as Sonic while being themselves, want them to feel they are Sonic's best friends and close companions as they know Sonic in and out and even know how to mess with him for fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Funny enough, I find Fleetway's rudeness to be better than Archie's teasing.

1 Tone is less serious.

2 No one ever tried to defend his rudeness like Amy did in Shattered.

3 But most importantly Fleetway Sonic is pretty much rude to everyone and no one seems to mind, they know that this is how he acts. Only exceptions are once with Porker (when Sonc admitted that he was to harhs to him) and Knuckles, but they aren't really friends in this continuity.

Meanwhile Archie/Satam Sonic is basically picking on Antoine for being different like some kind of jock in high school. Flynn's Antoine doesn't seem to mind too much, but early comic and especially Satam Antoine clearly didn't enjoyed it.