Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I just googled what it's about. So it's another lawsuit by another formal creator over another batch of characters? 
I assumed Archie (and Sega, maybe) learned their lesson and made sure problems like this won't happen again. Looking at how SEGA's reacting, I guess they did.

I feel SEGA wants to make it public so it would be a warning to the other creators. If they win, of course.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Speaking as someone with limited law knowledge, does the counterclaim essentially mean that SEGA wants to F@(# Mr. Fulop up?

I'd say that would be the most ideal scenario, but there's no telling how this can go, honestly.

Well, I hope this lawsuit ends in a better way than that one before, considering the fans. It would be pretty interesting "kind of" in-universe revenge if some not-that-big-of-a-character like that Freddy guy is playing a part of taking the comics down. I just hope Sega won't get tired to these "incidents" that old Archie continuity keeps sprouting.

22 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I looked up the EU manual, and there's no reference to Mecha/Robo Sonic whatsoever in there. 

Not even in the translated ones? Because I'm really really sure I remember "Robo Sonic" from somewhere as a kid...

On 11/30/2016 at 2:55 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

It did? I counted only 7 "brak!" on Silver Sonic.

Same, funnily enough.

20 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

There's been an update to the Fulop lawsuit.

Sega is involved now.

Can someone explain what characters are being fought over this time? I've kinda forgot about it.

Also, the tweets are causing some crazy stuff to happen to my side of the forums.

They're creating a gigantic space that's endlessly expanding downwards!!!

Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just because of IE 11?

Fulop basically put in a copyright for something involving Mammoth Mogul, and pretty soon afterwards took legal action against Archie. 

Dunno about the gaps, they're not affecting my end. Maybe your machine is taking a long time to load them and it appears as always expanding down as a result?

• Thumbs Up 1

Boy, Metal sure is taking a beating, huh?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2016 at 3:47 PM, The KKM said:

Not even in the translated ones? Because I'm really really sure I remember "Robo Sonic" from somewhere as a kid...

The old Sonic 1+2 players guide called it Robo-Sonic, which is pretty much the reason I've always referred to it as such over the years.

Of course, that players guide also said the final boss of Sonic 2 was a battle suit, which I guess is kinda-sorta-technically correct, though I'd consider it more of a giant mech, but...

Anyway, Sonic 289 was incredibly boring. This whole Genesis of a Hero is even more boring than Genesis was, and that's saying something. it's just a by-the-books retelling of the classic Sonic games. Which has already been done.

At least Sonic Universe has been consistently entertaining to make up for it.

5 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Anyway, Sonic 289 was incredibly boring. This whole Genesis of a Hero is even more boring than Genesis was, and that's saying something. it's just a by-the-books retelling of the classic Sonic games. Which has already been done.

Never mind being boring; at least Genesis tried to tell a cohesive story. This is barely a retelling: it's those flashbacks we got during Champions and Eggman's Dozen with things most people actually know about--and nothing else!

4 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Boy, Metal sure is taking a beating, huh?

That's what he always does.

I have to say, being a Metal fan in archie became the weirdest since reboot. I can't really complain, he's everywhere always kicking butt. It's just.... I feel like Flynn is giving me exactly what I want, and then makes me stop before the very exciting ending (I would use a metaphor, but all I got are sex jokes).

"Metal Vs Sonic Gals" Yay "But we're going to cut off without real pay off" Ow...

"Championship has beautiful art, huh? Metal is coming and he has connection to Breezie" Ooo "He won't show  until last part, and won't even exchange looks with her"...

"Eggman and Metal Vs Naugus" Yay! "I mean, Eggman Vs Metal" Still yay! "I mean one punch and his gone" ...yay?

"Metal Vs Gemerl!" Will it end after one page? "....maaaaaybe"

Again, I can't complain, some have it much  worse. But my favorite Metal Sonic stories (in archie) are still Preboot stories, SU 1 and SU 50. I doubt StH 290 will change that.

3 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Again, I thought that was pretty much the point.

I mean, I'm not saying we could have been better with something new instead of a retelling, but I figured we saw this coming from the get go.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, to be fair, Metal is always fighting against the odds. Thought, I too grow tired of the same result over and over again.

But then again It's rather in character for Eggman to throwing Metal in suicide missions all the time. And it's not like Metal can say much against it. I just wish he would finally rebel( or grow somehow at least but ...yeah, mandates)

Yep, gave up on the " metal being anything more than a dumb robot"  storyline.  It sucks. 

Though being left up a creek is petty good description of liking most characters in this comic. Not just metal sonic.

" hey you know that urgent thing shadow is doing with the alien... you wont see that for now... about 3 years. Either this will totally lead to some big event, or it will lead to 4 issues of nothing questioning why bring up urgency in the first place. "

Or everything happening with silver

Or whateevr blaze is doing, crying in a basement somewhere I don't know. 

Its kind of a structural issue this comic has in general. Because characters don't individual books, so they have to be jammed together.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Yep, gave up on the " metal being anything more than a dumb robot"  storyline.  It sucks. 

Though being left up a creek is petty good description of liking most characters in this comic. Not just metal sonic.

" hey you know that urgent thing shadow is doing with the alien... you wont see that for now... about 3 years. Either this will totally lead to some big event, or it will lead to 4 issues of nothing questioning why bring up urgency in the first place. "

Or everything happening with silver

Or whateevr blaze is doing, crying in a basement somewhere I don't know. 

Its kind of a structural issue this comic has in general. Because characters don't individual books, so they have to be jammed together.

You're talking about something completely different

Metal Sonic has tons of stories, it's just his fight are short and/or stopped in the middle (and could use a bit more personality),

Shadow/Silver/Blaze/Chaotix have full fledged stories, but very rarely.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You're talking about something completely different

Metal Sonic has tons of stories, it's just his fight are short and/or stopped in the middle (and could use a bit more personality),

Shadow/Silver/Blaze/Chaotix have full fledged stories, but very rarely.

I think its a result of the same problem. Its the nature of crampness of the book. Metal sonic could probably have better fights but these are cut for time and while we ourselves value metal sonic, at least some of us. He might not be the most valuable commodity in terms of respect in terms of sonic, they treat him like what sega feels like he is now specific fodder bot. 

On the flippedity flip , other characters could get more stories but there are not that many avenues to tell them. And they can't throw a lot of those characters out everywhere, because unlike a robot who works on command they require reason and plot and respect so people will buy your book and such. 

It results in the same problem, very short very unsatisfying fights that either get stopped or lead to nowhere. Its just when the regular non robot characters do it, it also is generally a plot that's also leading nowhere if it isn't self contained. Its why I used shadow and silver as an example as in terms of narrative. Though shadow might be in a worse bind for a few potential reasons. Using black arms ultimately may have been not he best idea, but that's another story. 

Regarding Metal Sonic, Archie treats him with far more respect than Sega does. He's used a hell of a lot more by comparison, and he does more than just seek to prove himself better than Sonic, being a threat that--despite being knocked around a lot--deals out as much damage and chaos as he receives and is a lot more pragmatic to boot compared to his more questionable "honor-like" morality from the games that gets him into odd situations and doesn't do near as much work. If there's an objective he has in mind, he generally puts his ego to the side to carry it out and pulls out all the stops in his attempt to succeed without any concern to things like trying to race Sonic out of a sense of pride...unless you somehow piss him off, in which case Eggman has to order him twice to retreat.

It says a lot that in the Post-Reboot (hell, even in a number of Pre-Reboot arcs) most of the time the good guys have to outnumber Metal Sonic in order to beat him, because he's too much to take on alone in a 1v1 scenario. So while he does get beat up a lot, if it's any consolidation, it's because he's almost always ganged up on.

• Thumbs Up 6

So, quick question. Is there some kind of unknown shortage of Issue 287? Because I never received the issue from Forbidden Planet, despite receiving Genesis of a Hero Part 1 and 2, as well as the Universe issues, and when I check ebay UK, there's only two issues on it, both of which are from the US, which is odd because there's usually at least a few issues in the UK of all the previous issues at least.

Speaking of which, I have to agree with the sentiment that GoaH is pretty disappointing. What should've been a storyline that ties in a few unique twists of the game's stories to the comics' world has turned into a rehash, and the sad thing is even Genesis had more twists than it. For as much flack as it gets, we had stuff like Ant being the one to screw up Eggman's plans, or Sonic splitting with the rest of the group early on, and Sally and Rotor trying to shut down Eggman's oil supply. Meanwhile, GoaH has a hint to Naugus being King Acorn, and things that ultimately don't have an impact on the story of the games. Even Part 1 ends with the Freedom Fighters looking like they're gearing up for a battle only for Part 2 to just be Sonic Vs Eggman again.

Also, what was one of the laziest things I saw in Part 2? "To get the conclusion of the battle, play the game!". How about no. Considering this is your attempt to tie the game into the comic's world, I want to see how this iconic battle goes down in the comic's version of the events. What the fuck is this? One of the "Another Place, Another Time" stories? Are you actually kidding me?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to play devils advocate for GoaH and say that since these games are 20 plus years old and easily available on Virtual Console or Steam or Playstaion Network that saying "play the Game isn't really that big of a deal.

Also I'm just going to say that this arc is obviously just a Nostalgia trip, a sorta Best of Sonic kind of deal. It's just supposed to be something light and fun that might make you want to pop out the old games.