Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Just now, SBR2 said:

I'm going to play devils advocate for GoaH and say that since these games are 20 plus years old and easily available on Virtual Console or Steam or Playstaion Network that saying "play the Game isn't really that big of a deal.

Also I'm just going to say that this arc is obviously just a Nostalgia trip, a sorta Best of Sonic kind of deal. It's just supposed to be something light and fun that might make you want to pop out the old games.

It's not the point of having to go out of your way to play it. It's the sheer fact the comic itself can't be bothered to actually offer a conclusion to the story that it set up. When GoaH's biggest selling point was finally tying the game's world into the comic's world, and finally answering a lot of questions we had about how they tied in, it has done none of that so far, and has managed to come off as a lazy rehash and cash-in. We were told for example that Sonic had already been on his adventures through Sonic 1 before meeting the Freedom Fighters, and yet that's completely contradicted. We never get an concrete answer for how Sonic meets the Freedom Fighters, again something that even Genesis offered, we're offered various ideas that would be interesting to actually explore in a proper origins story but is completely sidelined just to have the game's shoved into our faces again with no context or connection or interesting changes to the plots that make them connect to the comic's story.

After setting up the world through the Unleashed saga, now would've been the perfect time to finally go back to the origins of the story, and explain some new things to us, especially since they're widely different to what we know from the original comic story, including:

• Sonic meeting the Freedom Fighters
  • Naugus' disguised as Acorn
  • The Freedom Fighters' connection to any of the games' plots
  • Eggman's original attempt of taking over The Kingdom Of Acorn
  • Roboticization as a whole, which gets one very brief mention from Sonic as "is the Death Egg one of them?" 

At this point, the only thing I'm even getting from this arc is just the same events we already know only with Sonic having some quips, and Snively providing entertainment.

• Thumbs Up 2

I personally think the issue should've started with Silver Sonic and the Death Egg Robot battle, then shown the aftermath. Like Tails saving Sonic, maybe having them go back to celebrate with their friends, showing the Death Egg crashing, etc.

Dunno, something more than two boring fights and forgettable dialogue. I'm tired of "it's nostalgia, that's all that matters." You can still do nostalgia and tell a good story, but this arc is just so boring.

• Thumbs Up 5

The "great" thing for me is that my self-imposed review rota won't be covering Case of the Pirate Princess, I've got this instead. 

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

@VEDJ-F

Is that a Komodo Brother?

Yeah, Komodo Joe, they've already released the redesigns of the majority of the cast for Crash N-Sane, actually right when the first press assets went live. 

...I know N-Sane is way better than this classic re-imagining arc, but let's stick with the topic. 

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Yeah, Komodo Joe, they've already released the redesigns of the majority of the cast for Crash N-Sane, actually right when the first press assets went live. 

...I know N-Sane is way better than this classic re-imagining arc, but let's stick with the topic. 

Oh, I wasn't aware they were doing another game after all this time. I'll have to look into that.

19 minutes ago, Razorsaw said:

"Genesis of a Hero" is a cash in.

On. Decades old games.

Okay.

Yep. That's why SEGA mandated it to happen. They wouldn't have done so if they couldn't try to use it to bolster retro Sonic sales, especially with it still being classed as the 25th anniversary celebration. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Razorsaw said:

"Genesis of a Hero" is a cash in.

On. Decades old games.

Okay.

Yes, because it's not like anything has Classic Sonic right guys?

sonic_mania_thumb.0.0.jpg 335ed3e4712b2b06d44cf81c00a4c266.jpg

Not like there's any other popular Classic Sonic related print at the minute.

sonicmegadrive2v2jpg-a52946_765w.jpg

And it's not like SEGA can make any kind of profit on decades old games on the 25th anniversary of said games, right?

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

easily available on Virtual Console or Steam or Playstaion Network that saying "play the Game isn't really that big of a deal.

Oops.

Not like it literally has a 25th anniversary logo on this one specific arc

Sonic288.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

10 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Yes, because it's not like anything has Classic Sonic right guys?

sonic_mania_thumb.0.0.jpg 335ed3e4712b2b06d44cf81c00a4c266.jpg

Not like there's any other popular Classic Sonic related print at the minute.

sonicmegadrive2v2jpg-a52946_765w.jpg

And it's not like SEGA can make any kind of profit on decades old games on the 25th anniversary of said games, right?

Oops.

Not like it literally has a 25th anniversary logo on this one specific arc

Sonic288.jpg

Fine, "Genesis of the Hero" doesn't suck because it's based on the classic.

It's suck on it's own terrible merits.

(Still tired of classic everywhere)

See this is why I say people are taking this way too seriously. This is just a look at classic moments and people are treating it as if Flynn personally walked into their house and peed in their fern.

I have to admit I haven't read it yet but there is no way it could possible justify such angry reactions.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

See this is why I say people are taking this way too seriously. This is just a look at classic moments and people are treating it as if Flynn personally walked into their house and peed in their fern.

I have to admit I haven't read it yet but there is no way it could possible justify such angry reactions.

We're angry cause we're celebrating Sonic 25th anniversary with waste of time.

Classic Sonic is good base for a game. Due to it's simple stories and refusal to put new elements, it's has very small potential for stories, potential mostly used by "Genesis" and "Mega Drive" (Genesis sucked too anyway). "GoaH" fails to meet even those low expectations.

So I'm sorry if I'm not interested in seeing those "classic moments" for dozenth time. Even If didn't saw them before, they just generic. I'm not fan of Sonic Satam, but compare first Robotnik/Sonic meeting in "Blast to the Past" with StH 288. One has emotion, energy, feel of significant, other is going to the same motions we go every time Sonic and Eggman meet. And no matter how "classic" it is, final boss of Sonic 1 is and always will be lame.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Fine, "Genesis of the Hero" doesn't suck because it's based on the classic.

It's suck on it's own terrible merits.

(Still tired of classic everywhere)

When did I even say that? I literally came into this topic saying GoaH was a huge disappointment in my eyes and felt like a cash-in. I literally made my point above to show that there's plenty of ways for SEGA to cash in on the classic games, and that's why this story arc feels like a cash-in. Either I'm seriously misinterpreting this, or you've got my posts all wrong.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

We're angry cause we're celebrating Sonic 25th anniversary with waste of time.

Classic Sonic is good base for a game. Due to it's simple stories and refusal to put new elements, it's has very small potential for stories, potential mostly used by "Genesis" and "Mega Drive" (Genesis sucked too anyway). "GoaH" fails to meet even those low expectations.

So I'm sorry if I'm not interested in seeing those "classic moments" for dozenth time. Even If didn't saw them before, they just generic. I'm not fan of Sonic Satam, but compare first Robotnik/Sonic meeting in "Blast to the Past" with StH 288. One has emotion, energy, feel of significant, other is going to the same motions we go every time Sonic and Eggman meet. And no matter how "classic" it is, final boss of Sonic 1 is and always will be lame.

And again, there are plenty of story elements they could've done with the games. It was tying the game's world to a whole new comic world. Adding in the Freedom Fighters alone as inexperienced, and still learning would still be a perfect way to shake up the formula of the game's plot, especially if we tied it into the comic's world, it's past events, and such. Like in Sonic 1, have the same plot, but Sonic's trying to maybe stop the first use of the Roboticizer, maybe even to save his Uncle Chuck. He fails, but meets the FF. That would be a meaningful impactful chance that fits the plot of the first game, and the origins plot of the comics, and offers a tonial shift for that one issue where we maybe see a serious Sonic, or a snarky Sonic who's putting on a brave face despite being pissed or scared. The classic games have so much potential for interesting twists and plots, and yet it's still just been degraded into what we've already seen before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 09/12/2016 at 5:32 PM, Ryannumber1Santa said:

So, quick question. Is there some kind of unknown shortage of Issue 287? Because I never received the issue from Forbidden Planet, despite receiving Genesis of a Hero Part 1 and 2, as well as the Universe issues, and when I check ebay UK, there's only two issues on it, both of which are from the US, which is odd because there's usually at least a few issues in the UK of all the previous issues at least.

Speaking of which, I have to agree with the sentiment that GoaH is pretty disappointing. What should've been a storyline that ties in a few unique twists of the game's stories to the comics' world has turned into a rehash, and the sad thing is even Genesis had more twists than it. For as much flack as it gets, we had stuff like Ant being the one to screw up Eggman's plans, or Sonic splitting with the rest of the group early on, and Sally and Rotor trying to shut down Eggman's oil supply. Meanwhile, GoaH has a hint to Naugus being King Acorn, and things that ultimately don't have an impact on the story of the games. Even Part 1 ends with the Freedom Fighters looking like they're gearing up for a battle only for Part 2 to just be Sonic Vs Eggman again.

Also, what was one of the laziest things I saw in Part 2? "To get the conclusion of the battle, play the game!". How about no. Considering this is your attempt to tie the game into the comic's world, I want to see how this iconic battle goes down in the comic's version of the events. What the fuck is this? One of the "Another Place, Another Time" stories? Are you actually kidding me?

I experienced the same issue. Forbidden Planet only had one copy, which was the one they kept by for me, but it was the variant cover. I attempted to get the main cover on eBay afterward, but the only results that came up were from US sellers that had stupid postage prices attached to it.

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

I experienced the same issue. Forbidden Planet only had one copy, which was the one they kept by for me, but it was the variant cover. I attempted to get the main cover on eBay afterward, but the only results that came up were from US sellers that had stupid postage prices attached to it.

I didn't even receive a copy. I was told that it wasn't recieved by their distributors despite me having gotten GoaH Part 1 by that point, and now having gotten Part 2. 

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

Ah, "similar issue" is what I meant to say P;

The weirdest thing is you know how much Mega Drive sold. I had it pre-ordered about two days beforehand and still received it, the original copy, even though it was three weeks later, so this one is definitely odd.

10 hours ago, SBR2 said:

This is just a look at classic moment

And it's done in the most boring way possible. People are disappointed with this issue because it sucked and feels like a waste of time instead of being something that's both nostalgic and something worth reading.

This arc is especially disappointing considering we've recently had two better classic-themed comics that celebrate the anniversary while still being pretty entertaining in their own right.

You guys have to realize that this isn't just a tie in to the the anniversary, it's a jumping on point for new readers. That's why it's relatively continuity light and doesn't use the original elements too extensively. This is taking the stuff people already know and what's most iconic to hop on board; filling in the blanks on the new community is the spice, not the whole flavor.

By design this is something light and accessible.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Razorsaw said:

You guys have to realize that this isn't just a tie in to the the anniversary, it's a jumping on point for new readers. That's why it's relatively continuity light and doesn't use the original elements too extensively. This is taking the stuff people already know and what's most iconic to hop on board; filling in the blanks on the new community is the spice, not the whole flavor.

By design this is something light and accessible.

Exactly how is it a jumping on point when it barely explains any of the comic's story. What it does have is hinting at the fact a character who only pre-existing readers would know is acting weird, which would fly over the heads of new readers, as well as adding a shadow of a character new readers wouldn't know, and on top of that, plan to follow up this arc with a arc detailing the aftermath of the shattered world crisis, exactly how the hell is this a jumping on point when it doesn't explain any characters, story or detail needed for the comic itself?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's funny how Archie keep pushing these anniversary arcs as "jumpin on" points.

Ironically, Genesis was marketed as such and that had, in a sense, even less to do with the storyline at hand than GoaH does.

This Genesis thing isn't making me angry. It's just a generic, boring, waste of time. I can handle that fine. I've dealt with wastes of time before. Things that anger me are usually relegated to downright insulting and terrible story progression and character development; things that have the tendency to ruin the thing you actually care the most about when it comes to the narrative you're following. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The whole King Acorn thing is such a small part of the overall story that it's basically only there as a nod to events more dedicated readers already know about. It's not something they have to dive into nor is it too much for it to take over the story for any casual readers. We're talking about something that takes up a very small part of the overall issue's real estate.

• Thumbs Up 2