Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

21 hours ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

I at least hope part 3 has something that'll indicate how CD eventually led to S3&K.

I doubt it. It seems like GOAH is going by Release Order and not Chronological.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I think Ian himself puts CD between 2 and 3 in terms of story events, so it's not impossible. 

The intro for Sonic Mega Drive seems to suggest that CD takes place after S3&K, which makes more sense.  Never understood why so many people place it between 1 and 2; nothing about that placement makes any sense whatsoever.

Edited by andrewtuell1991
grammar fix

5 hours ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

The intro for Sonic Mega Drive seems to suggest that CD takes place after S3&K, which makes more sense.  Never understood why so many people place it between 1 and 2; nothing about that placement makes any sense whatsoever.

Because Tails was absent in CD whereas he was present in 2 and beyond. Makes sense to others in that if CD came after 2, then Tails should be there with Sonic at least. That seems to be the main factor.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Because Tails was absent in CD whereas he was present in 2 and beyond. Makes sense to others in that if CD came after 2, then Tails should be there with Sonic at least. That seems to be the main factor.

Agreed. Also, two more points:

1) Sonic's Spin Dash in CD is essentially a prototype. It's fair to believe the modern version was invented in Sonic 2, either by Sonic or Tails. (Depending on which version's manual you want to go by)

2) If the Death Egg crashed onto Angel Island, why would Eggman abandon it to go take over Little Planet? (If it underwent repairs while he was gone, shouldn't he have been there supervising? And how/when would Knuckles come into play?) And I highly doubt Sonic would ditch Tails to go see Little Planet before going to make sure the Death Egg was gone for good.

Just to add to SBR's post, here are more comments from Ian:

That's what a lot of people who like to throw sales figures on here and act like it's the end of the world.  It's not.  And from Ian's comments, it looks like no one at Archie has need to worry.  Looks like they are hard at work like any other comic company doing their best to put out stories people enjoy.

The numbers may have fluctuated since "savor" Penders was running the show but we all know that times have changed and numbers don't exactly mean what they used to in the past (for any company).  Also like Ian mentions, there are many different books that make up Sonic now-a-days.  Instead of one we have two strong series and multiple offshoots.  Split the numbers from the late 90's/early 2000's for one book between the number of series we have now and it looks even worse that what StH alone is producing.  There are more avenues for stories now.

Also good to see subscriptions are on the rise too.

• Thumbs Up 9

What does the twitter person who's pestering Ian mean when they say "In such a situation, @SEGA has finally come to mind to remove these stupid bans"? Do they mean the mandates?

It slightly annoy me, hey could've just checked if all was well or ask "is the Sonic comic gonna end?" but they immediately say "HA! Now SEGA would STOP controlling the comic based on their Character!" 

That is a massive strawman, and you know it.

They not saying that Sega should stop controlling the comic based on their character, but to be reasonable about the mandates at least from their perspective.

Well this is a bit of a tangent but is anyone reading the back issues?

I ask because I've recently been taking an interest in ComiXology and discovered that they have every single issue of Sonic the Hedgehog ever published, along with most everything else Sonic related as well, with the notable exceptions of Sonic X and the final issues of Knuckles the Echidna. So basically, in this lull between the release of new Sonic games, I decided that I would read all issues of Sonic the Hedgehog (plus as many of the specials and spinoffs I could get my hands on) starting with issue #1.

Why have I gone to this much trouble? Honestly, I think this is really all because of Sonic Mega Collection:

I originally bought Sonic Mega Collection to supplement those few Sonic games I never actually got originally for my Mega Drive, such as Sonic 3D and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Beginning a pattern where I would (and still do) repeatedly buy Sonic games I already own when they are ported to new platforms. Although curiously, I've never bought a copy of Sonic Jam even though I own a Saturn.

Regardless, my point is that, as I'm sure anyone who owns Sonic Mega Collection will remember, this game also had a viewable archive of all Sonic the Hedgehog covers released up until that point. Complete with that amazing if surprisingly sad music playing the whole time. It's hard to describe the emotions conjured up thanks to that music as you flick through all the covers. I would say it's like nostalgia with a tragic undercurrent but at the same time defiant, as much about moving forward against all odds as it’s about acknowledging the past. Read into that what you will but to this day I'm still amazed Sonic Team would put so much effort into a bonus feature of a compilation disc.

Throughout the years I've bought the occasional issue of Sonic the Hedgehog but I've never had the chance to find those early issues and the specials. Which has really bugged me; if only for the sake of that music, collecting the earliest issues is something that I've wanted to do. At least now by going digital I've achieved just that. Sonic the Hedgehog issues #1 - #225 (along with quite a few other early Sonic compilations) reside safely as PDFs on my computer's hard drive.

I have every intention of catching up the latest issues eventually, when both time and financial resources allow. However, before that day I've decided I'm going to read all the back issues first. An insensitive or perhaps even a restraint if you will. To keep me focused - I only get to read the new issues once I've put in the hard work and read everything else beforehand. Which is going to take me a while, because even though I’m aware of the overall story arcs throughout the comics entire run I've really only read the first 100 issues and a few of the specials so far, plus some of Knuckles the Echidna (man that comic went to weird places fast) along the way.

Anyway, if anyone wants to talk about the back issues in this thread let me know. That's the thing I love about digital comics, as long as the IP rights are maintained the back issues never go out of print. So much of what would have been once been lost to history is now back in the hands of fans both old and new.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Why have I gone to this much trouble? Honestly, I think this is really all because of Sonic Mega Collection:

Regardless, my point is that, as I'm sure anyone who owns Sonic Mega Collection will remember, this game also had a viewable archive of all Sonic the Hedgehog covers released up until that point. Complete with that amazing if surprisingly sad music playing the whole time. It's hard to describe the emotions conjured up thanks to that music as you flick through all the covers. I would say it's like nostalgia with a tragic undercurrent but at the same time defiant, as much about moving forward against all odds as it’s about acknowledging the past. Read into that what you will but to this day I'm still amazed Sonic Team would put so much effort into a bonus feature of a game's compilation.

Oh yeah, I remember that. Good times...

Speaking of which, did anything ever come out of that rumor that Mr. Penders was gonna sue Sega about those covers in the game?

3 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Throughout the years I've bought the occasional issue of Sonic the Hedgehog but I've never had the chance to find those earlier those early issues and the specials. Which has really bugged me; if only for the sake of that music, collecting the earliest issues is something that I've wanted to do. At least now by going digital I've achieved just that. Sonic the Hedgehog issues #1 - #225 (along with quite a few other early Sonic compilations) reside safely as PDFs on my computer's hard drive.

I have every intention of catching up the latest issues eventually, when both time and financial resources allow. However, before that day I've decided I'm going to read all the back issues first. An insensitive or perhaps even a restraint if you will. To keep me focused - I only get to read the new issues once I've put in the hard work and read everything else beforehand. Which is going to take me a while, because even though I’m aware of the overall story arcs throughout the comics entire run I've really only read the first 100 issues and a few of the specials so far, plus some of Knuckles the Echidna (man that comic went to weird places fast) along the way.

Anyway, if anyone wants to talk about the back issues in this thread let me know. That's the thing I love about digital comics, as long as the IP rights are maintained the back issues never go out of print. So much of what would have been once been lost to history is now back in the hands of fans both old and new.

Sure thing, dude! 

At the risk of causing a problem, question: do the titles "Endangered Species""Countdown to Chaos" or"New252" mean anything to you?

2 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

That is a massive strawman, and you know it.

They not saying that Sega should stop controlling the comic based on their character, but to be reasonable about the mandates at least from their perspective.

Oh, that's what they meant? I had to look up strawman, I didn't mean to intentionally misrepresent their words.

Their tweet looked quite angry/aggressive (at least to me, and the tweet was slightly lacking in words so I was confused what they wanted to say) , so I interpreted like that. "SEGA remove these stupid bans" did not sound like saying "Sega should be reasonable and change some of the mandate that may be affecting sales".

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah, I remember that. Good times...

Speaking of which, did anything ever come out of that rumor that Mr. Penders was gonna sue Sega about those covers in the game?

Sure thing, dude! 

At the risk of causing a problem, question: do the titles "Endangered Species""Countdown to Chaos" or"New252" mean anything to you?

From what I remember at the time I don't think Penders' lawsuit about the covers ever got off the ground. His later lawsuits however are a different matter entirely...

Also, in answer to your question, don't worry about spoilers on my account. I'm already familiar with the major events that have happened throughout the comic's run, including the major reboot designed to remove many of the old characters.

In fact I've been buying the old comics in large chunks, based upon the major story arcs. for example, issue #225 is a naturally 'checkpoint', as it’s the last comic before the reboot starts to take effect.

4 minutes ago, Kintor said:

In fact I've been buying the old comics in large chunks, based upon the major story arcs. for example, issue #225 is a naturally 'checkpoint', as it’s the last comic before the reboot starts to take effect.

Um, actually the reboot is sorta set up in 241, has "evidence" in Endangered Species, and really starts in 252 picking up from where 247 left off.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Um, actually the reboot is sorta set up in 241, has "evidence" in Endangered Species, and really starts in 252 picking up from where 247 left off.

Fair enough, I'm sure I'll find out those specific details when I finally reach #241. If nothing else, #225 is still an important milestone, given that #226 is the start of Sonic Genesis.

7 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

He could be off just doing his own thing.  Tons of games show Tails off living his own life before getting roped into another adventure.  Tails missing out on an adventure or 2 isn't implausible, especially with how isolated the events of CD are.

6 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

1) Sonic's Spin Dash in CD is essentially a prototype. It's fair to believe the modern version was invented in Sonic 2, either by Sonic or Tails. (Depending on which version's manual you want to go by)

I've heard this before and still don't understand why the Spin Dash being poorly programmed somehow suggests a timeline placement.  Also, gameplay vs story separation and whatnot.

7 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

2) If the Death Egg crashed onto Angel Island, why would Eggman abandon it to go take over Little Planet? (If it underwent repairs while he was gone, shouldn't he have been there supervising? And how/when would Knuckles come into play?) And I highly doubt Sonic would ditch Tails to go see Little Planet before going to make sure the Death Egg was gone for good.

I didn't say between Sonic 2 and 3, I said after S3&K.  It just makes the most sense seeing how much more advanced Metal Sonic is compared to Robo-Sonic and Mecha Sonic.  Starting with Metal, then temporarily downgrading to Robo and Mecha just to go back and permanently use Metal from then on makes no sense to me.

27 minutes ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

He could be off just doing his own thing.  Tons of games show Tails off living his own life before getting roped into another adventure.  Tails missing out on an adventure or 2 isn't implausible, especially with how isolated the events of CD are.

Or he might not have met Sonic at that time, hence why people chronologically place CD before Sonic 2 for that very isolation. Just because tons of games show Tails living on his own doesn't mean that's the case for CD, and there's a clear reason why people place it before Sonic 2.

54 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Oh, that's what they meant? I had to look up strawman, I didn't mean to intentionally misrepresent their words.

Their tweet looked quite angry/aggressive (at least to me, and the tweet was slightly lacking in words so I was confused what they wanted to say) , so I interpreted like that. "SEGA remove these stupid bans" did not sound like saying "Sega should be reasonable and change some of the mandate that may be affecting sales".

That's what I would at the very least guess they meant before I assume anything negative. But if it isn't the case, that still doesn't change that making it sound like they want Sega to stop controlling their own product is a massive misrepresentation of what they're saying for a vague mention of "stupid bans," even if they were angry or aggressive.

Does the See you Next Game thing count as evidence for 2 coming after CD even if it's Tails breaking the fourth wall?

5 minutes ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

Does the See you Next Game thing count as evidence for 2 coming after CD even if it's Tails breaking the fourth wall?

Considering he could have meant Sonic 3 & K which was number after it....no?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Considering he could have meant Sonic 3 & K which was number after it....no?

lol, good point. XD

As far as Tails' absence goes, he wasn't in Sonic 4: Episode I (though that ship he made was), but came back in Episode II. So yeah, sometimes he's not around.

16 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

As far as Tails' absence goes, he wasn't in Sonic 4: Episode I (though that ship he made was), but came back in Episode II. So yeah, sometimes he's not around.

That game came a full 20+ years when continuity had been much more heavily established, dude. People already had things set prior to Sonic 4 -- which a number of folks would rather not acknowledge anyway given their views on it.

Personally I like to think CD is last classic game. 1 Why break trilogy? 2 Tails should be Sonic's first friend, not Amy 3 Metal is superior to Mecha, definitely to Silver Sonic 4 F$@# programming on the spin dash.  Sonic can't use it in Colors, does that mean this game takes place before Sonic 2? (But in the end I'm don't care that much)

So I reead SU 93. I'll be brief

Spoiler

Still a crawl of a story with kinda nice characters. Enjoying it, but wish stuff were happenening.

Not much to say otherwise.  Breaking branches is a nice touch.

6 hours ago, Kintor said:

Well this is a bit of a tangent but is anyone reading the back issues?

I ask because I've recently been taking an interest in ComiXology and discovered that they have every single issue of Sonic the Hedgehog ever published, along with most everything else Sonic related as well, with the notable exceptions of Sonic X and the final issues of Knuckles the Echidna. So basically, in this lull between the release of new Sonic games, I decided that I would read all issues of Sonic the Hedgehog (plus as many of the specials and spinoffs I could get my hands on) starting with issue #1.

I originally bought Sonic Mega Collection to supplement those few Sonic games I never actually got originally for my Mega Drive, such as Sonic 3D and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Beginning a pattern where I would (and still do) repeatedly buy Sonic games I already own when they are ported to new platforms. Although curiously, I've never bought a copy of Sonic Jam even though I own a Saturn.

Regardless, my point is that, as I'm sure anyone who owns Sonic Mega Collection will remember, this game also had a viewable archive of all Sonic the Hedgehog covers released up until that point. Complete with that amazing if surprisingly sad music playing the whole time. It's hard to describe the emotions conjured up thanks to that music as you flick through all the covers. I would say it's like nostalgia with a tragic undercurrent but at the same time defiant, as much about moving forward against all odds as it’s about acknowledging the past. Read into that what you will but to this day I'm still amazed Sonic Team would put so much effort into a bonus feature of a compilation disc.

Throughout the years I've bought the occasional issue of Sonic the Hedgehog but I've never had the chance to find those early issues and the specials. Which has really bugged me; if only for the sake of that music, collecting the earliest issues is something that I've wanted to do. At least now by going digital I've achieved just that. Sonic the Hedgehog issues #1 - #225 (along with quite a few other early Sonic compilations) reside safely as PDFs on my computer's hard drive.

Do you want me to write you Reading Order (where to read all miniseries, special, etc)? It can be real hassle, especially thanks to Knuckles

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Do you want me to write you Reading Order (where to read all miniseries, special, etc)? It can be real hassle, especially thanks to Knuckles

Thanks for offering to suggest a Reading Order but it's not necessary. Generally I've just been moving forward with the main issues of Sonic the Hedgehog and only referring back to the specials etc when they are mentioned in the comics. For example, I still have to go back and read the Tails and Sally mini-series, even while I'm long past the point in the 'timeline' when those stories took place.

Although, I did make exceptions for the Mecha Madness special and the Sonic Adventure special, I specifically planned to read those the moment they became relevant to the comic. Seeing as how both specials had such a huge impact on the comic, besides also being great stories in their own right.

Speaking of Sonic Adventure, that special is surprisingly difficult to find digitally. It's not part of the Sonic Archives or the Sonic Select runs. Fortunately, Sonic Super Special Magazine #2 contains the complete collection of Sonic Adventure tie-ins including the Sonic Adventure special. Which is a little unorthodox but I'm glad Archie managed to reprint it somewhere.

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

Speaking of Sonic Adventure, that special is surprisingly difficult to find digitally. It's not part of the Sonic Archives or the Sonic Select runs. Fortunately, Sonic Super Special Magazine #2 contains the complete collection of Sonic Adventure tie-ins including the Sonic Adventure special. Which is a little unorthodox but I'm glad Archie managed to reprint it somewhere.

Ey? It's in Archives #22.

• Thumbs Up 1