Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I didn't think it was that bad of a running joke, I've seen worse, and frankly the dialogue isn't really what I'm into the comic for anyways (I am for Fight scenes, seeing characters and levels from the games in comic form, and all that stuff)

Plus it is a bit of a strange name when you think about it. Kind of like a hybrid between Japanese and Russian; "Fuku" or "fukuro" sounds very Japanese and "rokov" is a very Russian or that sort of area sounding section of a name......so all in all it is a bit confusing.

I'm just hoping the majority of the last issue of the arc is a huge fight! And afterwards T-pup isn't an ongoing thing, cuz I'm not too fond of it.

And I can't wait for some Treasure team tango and the Nack and Bean goodness it'll bring!

May I ask how you know you're pronouncing it right?

To me it seems kind of obvious anyway. D:

Also to check I went up and checked his name in Japanese, "フクロコフ". Okay, that actually reads 'Fukurokof', but Japanese will sometimes substitute those kind of things for an 'f', especially since the Japanese language has trouble with 'v' in general (Also, 'Fukurou' = 'Owl' in Japanese anyway, so it's basically 'Doctor Owlkov').

Actually, not that they are, but if the comics were translated into Japanese, that joke wouldn't really work- Japanese is phonetic, so everything is pronounced exactly as-is. Unlike English, you can't accidentally pronounce something wrong from reading it.

That said, Tails Adventure in general was almost embarrassingly undertranslated. How they managed to leave 'Battle Cuckoo' simply as 'Battle Kukku' without even correctly interpreting it is beyond me. The menu in Gems Collection goes a step further and says "Great Badoru Kukku". Not only is it meant to be 'Great Battle Cuckoo", but they misread 'Battle' as 'Badoru'. Which, erm, is a word that doesn't exist. :lol:

Also, interesting fact- Despite last issue's Off Panel saying why he chose not to call T-Pup 'Mecha Tails'... it was called 'Mecha Tails' in Japanese. ;) In the English version of the game, it was just called 'Remote Robot'.

Edited by Mahzes

So apparently according to:

Bumbleking forums

Archie comics now have gone international in subscriptions....well at least if your country is on this list here:

http://archiecomics.stores.yahoo.net/info.html

Which I guess kinda confirms this as being true?

Good news for everyone, although my comic store does stock these comics and I have a standing order there that I don't think I'll end as it probably ends up cheaper that way.

Is there any upside to being on a subscription? Do you get the comics any faster or any little bonuses for it?

Now if only Jazwares would release their figures over here we Aussies would be set!

Onto my thoughts of #216, whilst I do think the covers are improving I must still voice my dislike of the recent covers, 216's cover was about as good as they have been so far, but I am still desperately missing the insanely amazing Spaz covers.

Also I wish they'd stop having misleading covers; not once did Sonic fight an orca/whale in the whole issue :angry: and the fight scenes were really lacking...more so than usual. I literally had to go back and check to make sure I hadn't accidentally skipped a few pages, one minute they're fighting and the next Silver and Rotor are talking and talking some more and have freed everyone and then it's time for dinner at the walruses?!?

Very lacking in action I felt.

The high point once again was Silver's story, I am very intrigued to see where they take that and I am LOVING the dystopian references of such things as the ARK and Angel Island! :D

What I am finding tedious is the arcs involving various groups of freedom fighters that I have little to no care about, it is kind of screaming to me that some globalwide storyline is going to be happening (most likely for issue #225, and most likely my guess would be the arrival of the Black Arms or with Eggman's dumbing down to fit into the games' persona - Eggman Nega)

I really couldn't care much at all for these regional freedom fighters and it all feels like it's being thrust to us so that we'll know some familair faces once this global thing forces them all together....that's my theory anyway.

As far as looking forwards to anything, well I am eagerly awaiting Treasure Team Tango as I am interested to see how one arc can contain the awesomeness of Nack, Bean, Blaze, Omega and Rouge in it! And I also await the covers to become good again, so Spaz please return and Renae Deliz's art to make a return too!

The next regional freedom fighters might interest me, but only because I wanna see Oil Ocean zone in the comics, so hopefully that is done right and looks great!

Edited by The-Master-Board

Wheres Shadow?

In the future that Silver returns to? Or in my list of why Treasure Team Tango is gonna be awesome?

If it's the latter well...I like Shadow, but not as much as the others, hell if it had been an arc with just Nack or just Bean in it it would still be on my eagerly awaiting list!

If you mean in the future then well.....good question. He is apparently immortal and all, but it may only be in the same way that elves were immortal in lord of the rings, ie; couldn't die of old age or illness but could be physically harmed and killed in that way.

Perhaps he just hasn't shown up, or some past event killed him or something?

Personally I wouldn't wanna see Shadow in this arc unless it becomes a rather large story, I say let Silver have his thing and give us cool little cameos of things we're familiar with from the games and the comics only in dystopian future form.

This may be good news, for some reason my local Forbidden Planet seems to have stopped stocking Sonic Universe. Maybe I'm just getting in late or something. May have a look in depending on conversion rates of dollars to pounds.

Subscriptions available to the UK? THIS IS AMAZING NEWS. I don't care if I am perilously broke right now... I can find the whatever-per-month to do this. I'm so happy =D Thanks SO much for the heads-up T-M-B!

Wooo I can stop using the comic store on the PSP to get Sonic comics now biggrin.gif I will have to look into getting a subscription for Sonic Universe I really enjoyed reading those on the PSP Comic reader and been wanting to get into the Sonic comics for sometime now so this international subscription is greatest thing I've heard all day so far biggrin.gif

Edited by Shaddix

Subscriptions available to the UK? THIS IS AMAZING NEWS. I don't care if I am perilously broke right now... I can find the whatever-per-month to do this. I'm so happy =D Thanks SO much for the heads-up T-M-B!

No probs :lol: It's not like I discovered it or anything, I kinda just stumbled across it on my net searchs and saw nobody had posted it here yet!

Tis good news as if I ever decide to live in England my main concern was missing out on the comics as I know people there have a hard time getting them, but this will be great for alot of people!

As it is now my local comic store will get in Sonic and Sonic Universe and the archives, so I am pretty lucky.

So apparently according to:

Bumbleking forums

Archie comics now have gone international in subscriptions....well at least if your country is on this list here:

http://archiecomics.stores.yahoo.net/info.html

Which I guess kinda confirms this as being true?

Good news for everyone, although my comic store does stock these comics and I have a standing order there that I don't think I'll end as it probably ends up cheaper that way.

Is there any upside to being on a subscription? Do you get the comics any faster or any little bonuses for it?

I'm not sure about overseas subscriptions, but I know in America subscribing equals to about 25% the total 12 issues price being shaved off opposed to purchasing it in-store. Least that's how it's been since I last checked and it could be different over there.

Also the Black Arms need to show up eventually. I mean it's been over 70 issues since we were informed the Black Arms were coming; 70 issues later they're still coming. Eventually. Actually come to think about it the Ark crashing into Earth may have something to do with the Black Arms since that's linked to them and everything and maybe Silver's future troubles are linked to them since aliens like to fuck shit up on Earth apparently? That or Eggman Nega, who also is coming. Eventually.

Black Arms and Eggman Nega are 2 villains I'll always like more than I should for some reason.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure about overseas subscriptions, but I know in America subscribing equals to about 25% the total 12 issues price being shaved off opposed to purchasing it in-store. Least that's how it's been since I last checked and it could be different over there.

Also the Black Arms need to show up eventually. I mean it's been over 70 issues since we were informed the Black Arms were coming; 70 issues later they're still coming. Eventually. Actually come to think about it the Ark crashing into Earth may have something to do with the Black Arms since that's linked to them and everything and maybe Silver's future troubles are linked to them since aliens like to fuck shit up on Earth apparently? That or Eggman Nega, who also is coming. Eventually.

Black Arms and Eggman Nega are 2 villains I'll always like more than I should for some reason.

lol that is true it has been a while since we heard about the black arms. But I think Archie is trying to now stay away from converting the game stories into the comics word per word. I think they should be able to play with the game plots a little anyway since Shadow the Hedgehog didn't really have a straightforward plot. So maybe we'll get a story with the Black Arms that is better than the Shadow game story.

Also I'm kinda curious to see what Shadow is doing in Silver's dystopian future if he is there at all. I'm pretty sure that he can't be physically killed (he did survive falling hundreds of miles through the earth's atmosphere after all), nor can he die of old age. That could spawn a whole new interesting story arc for Shadow. Cause in the Sonic 06 game he goes to the future and finds that he is imprisoned by the humans for allegedly causing Iblis to rise. I'm also curious to hear about the origins of the guardian Edmund (he has the same name as Knuckles first guardian ancestor!). Lots of interesting things happening here.

Edited by Bebe_theSaint

SEGA doesn't want Archie using the Black Arms because they wouldn't fit in a kids comic, and they don't want them using Eggman Nega outside of name-dropping because... they said so. Seriously.

This may be good news, for some reason my local Forbidden Planet seems to have stopped stocking Sonic Universe. Maybe I'm just getting in late or something. May have a look in depending on conversion rates of dollars to pounds.

I haven't noticed Universe in Forbidden Planet myself for a bit, but I see you're in Glasgow too and just thought I'd point out that A1 Comics in Parnie Street is an awesome little place. I've been getting my comics there for over ten years now, and the service in generally awesome. There was a short period in 2004 where the issues did arrive so late that I wound up getting about four at once, but that's the only hitch I've had in all that time.

Awesome to see they're finally offering international subs though. I'd have killed for that when I was a kid ahaha.

SEGA doesn't want Archie using the Black Arms because they wouldn't fit in a kids comic, and they don't want them using Eggman Nega outside of name-dropping because... they said so. Seriously.

Presumably it's because they have no idea what they're doing with him, and they want SToJ to sort that slag out first.

Great news that Archie are now delivering to the UK! I remember looking at the delivery on their site once (over 5 years ago now) hoping that they'd deliver to the UK and being disappointed again, after having tried to locate the comics at various other places.

The price works out pretty good as well. It should be notably less than I used to pay for my Sonic X subscription from Ace Comics. I've only got a few issues of the main archie Sonic series, which I got from my local Borders before they closed down and they were very reasonably priced. There were many times though, when I would gladly have brough them regulary online.

Oddly enough having looked up Ace Comics to do a price comparison, I just discovered they now have a store very close to where I live. Last I heard they only had the one store. I think I'll check out this new store to see how much a subscription from them would cost, seeing as I'm getting no where with they're new site. They may even have some Sonic comics in stock.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

Thanks Lucky, I've been in there a few times for stuff, never sonic comics though! I'll check it next time I head in.

The preview pages for SU #20 are here.

SU20-0.jpg

SU20-1.jpg

SU20-2.jpg

SU20-3.jpg

SU20-4.jpg

For some reason, there is no sixth page. Also, I found this exchange hilarious:

"One day soon, the world will tremble at the name of Dr. Fukurokov!"

"Perhaps, but zey won't be able to pronounce it..."

Well Mobians are part human. Chalk it up to 8-bit sprite restrictions? Maybe they all wear false teeth to appear more menacing. By the way, sword fighting in flip-flops. Go 'Twan.

Edited by Dabnikz

Just got SU #20 in the mail.

The Rogues make a small cameo at the end.

Edited by chaoscontrol14