Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

16 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

So seriously if IDW does get the rights to Sonic does that mean Sonic will crossover with My Little Pony? Sad to see the comic go but holy shit the worst part about all this is the people who lost their job due to Archie's utter incompetence. Yeah Ian is flexible since he's been teasing some upcoming projects that are happening this year but what about Tracy Yardley, Jenifer Hernandez, Terry Austin etc? 

Tracy regularly contributes to Action Labs "Hero Cats of Stellar City" and is the writer and artist for their "Galaxy Man and Cosmic Girl" book. To say nothing of his Patreon which he's using to sponsor a web comic.

I still think all of the staff behind the current prints of the comic should retain the consistency of their job with Archie. Consistency is hard enough in other fields, but in artistry? It’s tough. I really hope all of our speculations end up wrong.

• Thumbs Up 5

I want to remember the new continuity by posting some of the best panels, this is one of my favorites:

1484689675729.jpg

The Freedom Fighters & Knuckles in the latest (last?) milestone issue.

• Thumbs Up 7

Nearly twenty-five years of comics at risk here— that’s a legacy that I don’t want to end on a bittersweet note.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sen said:

I happen to like the comic continuity's side characters, though. An extended universe needs those dynamic characters and supporting cast.

Agreed. A good comic books needs lots of characters; they don't (hopefully) have to all be on-page at the same time, but they do need to at least be somewhere in the background to flesh out the story and the world. Ian has done a great job of fleshing out Sonic's world with colorful extra characters both pre- and post-252, and if the comic were ever forced to lose its original characters, it would end up needing to replace them with similar characters of similar quality in order to avoid feeling small, dull, and un-lived-in.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Agreed. A good comic books needs lots of characters; they don't (hopefully) have to all be on-page at the same time, but they do need to at least be somewhere in the background to flesh out the story and the world. Ian has done a great job of fleshing out Sonic's world with colorful extra characters both pre- and post-252, and if the comic were ever forced to lose its original characters, it would end up needing to replace them with similar characters of similar quality in order to avoid feeling small, dull, and un-lived-in.

Yeah. I get that people want the main cast to have more urgency but outright dismissing the supporting cast is something I just cannot get behind.

• Thumbs Up 4

*sigh* its Fleetway 2001 for me all over again :(

IF this is true, it is sad that it'll not get to 300, lets be truthful here. Archie hasnt made any waves about 2017 having a 300th issue, I remember when we are 15 issues away from #200 Archie were hyping it every month, but this time they havent.

If it does get cancelled let it go to IDW or BOOM, start from scratch, get all these contracts sorted, let SEGA give 100% full support and wipe the slate clean. Start from the beginning build new stories/mythologies etc.
oh and let the creative talent hop onto it as well, just not have a repeat of the Penders issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

I hope this is just a mistake on Archie part.

I think we all do—except for those of us who are unfeeling monsters :P—for the sake of the fans, the comic staff, and Archie as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So you think Reboot sucks, yet you want it to continue? Ok, I kinda get it.

Still, what I'm saying is "I prefer for comic to die NOW, rather then in any previous moment or in the middle of new story arc". Obviously comic NOT dying would be best option.

I think the reboot sucks, yes. But not in the sense that I had any connection to the pre reboot stuff. I'm glad the echidna's are gone, I'm glad most of the characters that are gone are gone. Hell I would have thrown everyone out if I were in charge. 

But I do think the reboot sucks, because it hasn't been telling cohesive finished stories, and the one story it did actually finish took too long wasn't very good and wasn't engaging in anyway. 

I don't think dying now, personally, would have been worse than dying in the middle of the previous arc.. because to me... they haven't finished any actually interesting stories for me to care whether that arc was done. If it works for you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. But for me, it finishing now, wouldn't change much for me right now, I can't call the reboot on a technical level good. 

It had potential, but if it were to end, it was just that, potential. 

Thinking about it, shadow just kind of got shat on this whole reboot if this is the end. Goddamn 

Just now, Sen said:

What kind of issues are prevalent in that panel, Shadowlax?

A lot of the post reboot story telling doesn't really get me to care about most of the people on that page. ( even sonic kinda). So moments like those seem kinda forced and meaningless. This is compounded on the dislike I already have for some of the Archie characters, big and cream to some degree. The reboot in a lot of ways felt like trying to force something through, and for a lot of it I was trying to care in some regard, but really couldn't. 

The recent Chaotix arc on the other hand , made me care about a whole slew of archie folk and the chaotix more. Some characters are being handled better than others

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Shadowlax said:

A lot of the post reboot story telling doesn't really get me to care about most of the people on that page. ( even sonic kinda). So moments like those seem kinda forced and meaningless. This is compounded on the dislike I already have for some of the Archie characters, big and cream to some degree. The reboot in a lot of ways felt like trying to force something through, and for a lot of it I was trying to care in some regard, but really couldn't. 

The recent Chaotix arc on the other hand , made me care about a whole slew of archie folk and the chaotix more. Some characters are being handled better than others

So your big issue is that it ends up being a moment of celebration that has nothing to justify it in terms of development thus rendering it kind of a hollow point? Yay. Woo. Unity. That’s fair, I can respect that point of view. 

I still say if it goes to a new company and is wiped clean so to say only stick to characters that have been and will be in future games.  stay cannon and  no deviant art style fan fiction stories

Just now, Sen said:

So your big issue is that it ends up being a moment of celebration that has nothing to justify it in terms of development thus rendering it kind of a hollow point? Yay. Woo. Unity. That’s fair, I can respect that point of view. 

Yeah, its kinda just trying to establish something as organic, that due to the reboot ( and sonic's nature in the games tbh) seemed increasingly inorganic. And then, ontop of that, at least for me, getting more of that story, than closure on things more story arcs that I was WAY more interested in.  But they really want you too look at their team, but it makes me care about their team less and makes me desire the more interesting stories more. But if its done, those stories wont get finished. So all we got was a bad team. 

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I still say if it goes to a new company and is wiped clean so to say only stick to characters that have been and will be in future games.  stay cannon and  no deviant art style fan fiction stories

I don't mind creating stories. Just as long as they know that people only care so much about their CAW's.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Yeah, its kinda just trying to establish something as organic, that due to the reboot ( and sonic's nature in the games tbh) seemed increasingly inorganic. And then, ontop of that, at least for me, getting more of that story, than closure on things more story arcs that I was WAY more interested in.  But they really want you too look at their team, but it makes me care about their team less and makes me desire the more interesting stories more. But if its done, those stories wont get finished. So all we got was a bad team. 

I don't mind creating stories. Just as long as they know that people only care so much about their CAW's.

Yea i don't want anyone to think I hate the Archie stuff I grew up with it as a baby pretty much being born  89. It was one of my first comics. I loved it through the years but id like to see stories that go along with the game verse and inter connect them

Just now, Meta77 said:

Yea i don't want anyone to think I hate the Archie stuff I grew up with it as a baby pretty much being born  89. It was one of my first comics. I loved it through the years but id like to see stories that go along with the game verse and inter connect them

So what Archie has done since pretty much the onset? They have had so many tie-ins and comic adaptions of the games that I cannot think of many they never got around to.

To be fair, one of the reasons the 252 hasn't had complete stories (according to some) is that the reboot has forced Ian to focus on world-building instead. That's what everything we've seen so far has been, and we're just now getting to the point that everything's set up and we can start telling fuller stories (to grant the complaint). Because of this, I don't think this particular quibble is entirely fair.

And again, to those who want to get rid of the Archie characters, they would just be replaced by other original characters. You can't fill a world or a story with just game characters; eventually, you need an ice cream shop owner or a little girl who needs help. They can't all be from the games, and they eventually grow into characters if done properly. We can talk about increasing the focus on the game characters if that's what people want, but that' s not the argument I'm hearing people make.

Edit: I think one of the great things about the modern Archie Sonic is that it is willing to flesh out so many good characters instead of just focusing on Sonic. That's what the Sonic Universe book is all about, and there's so much you can do to keep things fresh when you have so many good characters. Again, this is all balanced out by making Sonic the main focus of the main book.

• Thumbs Up 5

The reboot didn't NEED to force Ian to focus on world-building, though. That's just his inherent writing style and drive, which clashed awfully, in a lot of ways, with what was demanded on the last few years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah. I suppose he could have just started telling smaller story arcs from the beginning and let people figure out what was different in the new universe as he went, but I'm not sure that would have been as smooth of a transition. Either way, I think we're at the point now where Ian is ready to coast a bit on the world-building he's already set up (though I certainly don't pretend to speak for him), so I guess I'd just like to see what he would do next before people start saying that 252 doesn't tell good stories.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly never liked that reasoning that he needed to focus on world building and that's why the stories didn't feel complete.

A good story teller should know how to do both. Ian is a good writer, but sometimes he took so long establashing stuff that the story felt rushed towards the end.

• Thumbs Up 5

12 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

To be fair, one of the reasons the 252 hasn't had complete stories (according to some) is that the reboot has forced Ian to focus on world-building instead. That's what everything we've seen so far has been, and we're just now getting to the point that everything's set up and we can start telling fuller stories (to grant the complaint). Because of this, I don't think this particular quibble is entirely fair.

And again, to those who want to get rid of the Archie characters, they would just be replaced by other original characters. You can't fill a world or a story with just game characters; eventually, you need an ice cream shop owner or a little girl who needs help. They can't all be from the games, and they eventually grow into characters if done properly. We can talk about increasing the focus on the game characters if that's what people want, but that' s not the argument I'm hearing people make.

Edit: I think one of the great things about the modern Archie Sonic is that it is willing to flesh out so many good characters instead of just focusing on Sonic. That's what the Sonic Universe book is all about, and there's so much you can do to keep things fresh when you have so many good characters. Again, this is all balanced out by making Sonic the main focus of the main book.

Street fighter comics do a great job and 9 out of 10 times most the characters are game verse and yet still are able to maintain a story.

Street Fighter also has a much smaller sphere of setting. Sonic the Hedgehog at its heart is an adventure genre comic— it tells diverse stories in diverse locations. This isn’t a series that relies on a singular city or framework such as a tournament and so forth. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Street fighter comics do a great job and 9 out of 10 times most the characters are game verse and yet still are able to maintain a story.

Okay, but most is different than all. Again, if it's an issue of focus, that's different than getting rid of all non-game characters altogether, right?

Just now, Sen said:

Street Fighter also has a much smaller sphere of setting.

I'll take your word, Sen, as I don't have any personal interest in Street Fighter. It would, however, make sense and line up with what I've been saying about filling out a world.

• Thumbs Up 2