Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

>SegaSonic the Arcade story

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. Now THIS is one I can't wait for. Always love when they take more obscure games and give them more fleshed out stories in the comics. Hopefully it actually ends up seeing print. (You never know with Archie recently.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Excuse me, stupid question from someone who normally doesn't look at this stuff.

Do the covers on these solicitations normally include the text 'Pending License Approval?'

Just now, Mayor D said:

Excuse me, stupid question from someone who normally doesn't look at this stuff.

Do the covers on these solicitations normally include the text 'Pending License Approval?'

Not all of the time, but a good amount of times, Yes. GN covers usually have it too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yep, the cover approval pretty much always comes later than the comic reveal. It rarely changes from here to preview though (Sonic Universe #47 being a notable exception).

• Thumbs Up 2

It's basically just in-case of any things that could come along and screw it up and force a change to the cover. Such as VEDJ's example above where Issue 47 of Universe had to be changed from Rob'O the Hedge and the Chaotix to just the Chaotix in a completely different pose because of Penders' nonsense. 

It's good to see solicits, and these in particular look pretty good. Also, Baking Bad is an amazing story title.

Solicits aside, though, subscriptions are still down, right?

Just now, Borvoc said:

It's good to see solicits, and these in particular look pretty good. Also, Baking Bad is an amazing story title.

Solicits aside, though, subscriptions are still down, right?

Correct, but considering that's the new story they were giving, it's possible that if the solicts are an indication that this was all hot air in the first place by Archie and the subscriptions really were just a big oversight. (Keep in mind that I'd assume Archie will have hired either a freelancer or company to create their new website and get it up to date, so I'm not 100% sure it'd be easy for them to readd subscriptions). The second theory is they forgot to re-license the comic and they've just barely managed to do it before this set of solicts released.

Keep in mind this is just speculation on my part though.

It was nice waking up to new comic solicitations for the comic. I'm hoping this means things are settling down with whatever was going on between SEGA and Archie. I personally can't see why Archie would solicit these if they foresaw some kind of licensing issues (I'm aware of what happened with stuff like Sonic Sagas, but weren't those also solicited and planned prior to the original settlement and then plans changed when the reboot took off and paying royalties just wasn't working out?). I wonder if we should still expect any delays?

Also interesting that "Overdrive" hasn't been resolicited, so would that mean it's still slated for its original target release?

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The second theory is they forgot to re-license the comic and they've just barely managed to do it before this set of solicts released.

In fairness, I don't think anyone forgets to renew a license. If licensing is at all an issue, it probably means negotiations didn't go nearly as smoothly as they did in the previous years.

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

It was nice waking up to new comic solicitations for the comic. I'm hoping this means things are settling down with whatever was going on between SEGA and Archie. I personally can't see why Archie would solicit these if they foresaw some kind of licensing issues (I'm aware of what happened with stuff like Sonic Sagas, but weren't those also solicited and planned prior to the original settlement and then plans changed when the reboot took off and paying royalties just wasn't working out?). I wonder if we should still expect any delays?

Also interesting that "Overdrive" hasn't been resolicited, so would that mean it's still slated for its original target release?

In fairness, I don't think anyone forgets to renew a license. If licensing is at all an issue, it probably means negotiations didn't go nearly as smoothly as they did in the previous years.

Sonic Sagas never got proper solicts IIRC, or if they did, it was before the issues hitting pre-reboot reprints hit. They had solicts and covers, but I don't remember anything past maybe Hedgehog Havoc receiving proper solicts, and that was before Bold New Moebius released. 

You know, here's a thougt.  Maybe SEGA is changing their license agreements with companies and making to where Classic & Modern sonic are separate licences.  I mean that would explain why #291 got pushed back to March (the same month as the last Mega-Drive special) and #292 is still set for February.  Maybe Archie can't legally publish any classic Sonic content till March or something weird like that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Ayliffe said:

5663961-sonicuniv%2397.jpg

1702229-sonic_jam_1.jpg

nicely done lads, nicely done

Sally's a Power type confirmed...? I've always thought of her as a Speed-type.

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

You know, here's a thougt.  Maybe SEGA is changing their license agreements with companies and making to where Classic & Modern sonic are separate licences.  I mean that would explain why #291 got pushed back to March (the same month as the last Mega-Drive special) and #292 is still set for February.  Maybe Archie can't legally publish any classic Sonic content till March or something weird like that. 

That sure would suck for Archie. Like they'd really be willing to shell out the money for two Sonic licenses. :P

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Sonic Sagas never got proper solicts IIRC, or if they did, it was before the issues hitting pre-reboot reprints hit. They had solicts and covers, but I don't remember anything past maybe Hedgehog Havoc receiving proper solicts, and that was before Bold New Moebius released. 

Yeah, I believe "Hedgehog Havoc" was the last storyline to get solicited prior to the cancellations. So I suppose only one volume was ultimately affected (there were small changes to the titles for "Enerjak Reborn" and "Bold New Moebius" but that's about it, IIRC). There is that and the third volume of "Best of Sonic" ("Rivals" was it?) that never materialized. I find changes/cancellation to reprint scheduling a tiny bit more forgivable than I do the actual on-going book (even though I'm incredibly bummed about losing books like Sagas and any potential Mega Man omnibus). So, yeah, fingers crossed things are getting back to normal.

Just now, Zaysho said:

Yeah, I believe "Hedgehog Havoc" was the last storyline to get solicited prior to the cancellations. So I suppose only one volume was ultimately affected (there were small changes to the titles for "Enerjak Reborn" and "Bold New Moebius" but that's about it, IIRC). There is that and the third volume of "Best of Sonic" ("Rivals" was it?) that never materialized. I find changes/cancellation to reprint scheduling a tiny bit more forgivable than I do the actual on-going book (even though I'm incredibly bummed about losing books like Sagas and any potential Mega Man omnibus). So, yeah, fingers crossed things are getting back to normal.

Sagas still really saddens me, because I love the pre-reboot Ian material, but there's stories I've read once and never read again, and want to read again, but can't because the GNs are stuck directly on The Dark Mirror (Bold New Moebius). 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Sagas still really saddens me, because I love the pre-reboot Ian material, but there's stories I've read once and never read again, and want to read again, but can't because the GNs are stuck directly on The Dark Mirror (Bold New Moebius). 

Oh, yeah, for sure. Definitely sad that the second half of "Bold New Moebius" ("Hedgehog Havoc") didn't get reprinted to at least complete that storyline. That's probably my favorite storyline prior to the #200 era next to "Enerjak Reborn".

Just now, Zaysho said:

Oh, yeah, for sure. Definitely sad that the second half of "Bold New Moebius" ("Hedgehog Havoc") didn't get reprinted to at least complete that storyline. That's probably my favorite storyline prior to the #200 era next to "Enerjak Reborn".

That definitely remains true for me. I did actually decide to get all of the issues of Bold New Moebius on Archie's comic app during a sale because I really do love that storyline (And it's also why I have Enerjak Reborn in physical GN and digital form, because it was taking forever for it and Silver Saga to release). But then again there's a big reason why I love that storyline.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160501190029

naw jk, there's a lot of reasons I love that arc, but this was the arc where I feel Scourge truly grew into his own character and villain with his own motivations other than "lolevil" 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

That sure would suck for Archie. Like they'd really be willing to shell out the money for two Sonic licenses. :P

Agreed.  But didn't something in the 25th Anniversary ad for Toy fair or what not say that Sonic, Classic a.ka. Pixel Sonic, Boom Sonic & Comic Sonic were all being considered their own separate entities now or something like that?  So I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA was making different deals for each version with licensors.

Also who else wants to bet SEGA will make Archie do a tie-in mini-series to the Movie next year!? XD 

• Thumbs Up 1

That was at the start of 2016, the 2017 edition doesn't even make mention of the comic in the brand summary. 

FYI, seeing new solicits does not mean the cancellation is not happening. It is entirely likely that Archie and SEGA agreed on an end date/issue number and they will continue to release solicits and issues until this, with a proper press release as the final issue nears. Note that subscriptions are 12 issues, and with their removal from the store it is likely that the series ends in less than 12 issues. 

Some are treating the possible cancellation like it was a wrench thrown into Archie at the last minute, but it is far more likely that this was a decision made in a more professional manner and that given their long history together - despite Archie's many f*** ups - they agreed on a way to end their relationship so as to not leave loose threads or anger fans. 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Agreed.  But didn't something in the 25th Anniversary ad for Toy fair or what not say that Sonic, Classic a.ka. Pixel Sonic, Boom Sonic & Comic Sonic were all being considered their own separate entities now or something like that?  So I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA was making different deals for each version with licensors.

To be honest, if I were in that position and I was expected to shell out money for separate licenses for different incarnations of the same character (in this case, Classic Sonic and Legacy Sonic), I'd immediately drop the one that isn't all that relevant to the main book I'm trying to produce. Boom I can understand, as it's a wholly separate entity from any SEGA Sonic material, but not when prior to a few years ago (or even just a year ago) Classic and Legacy Sonic were treated as one in the same and Classic is regarded as Sonic's younger self.

Then again, you could be onto something since we've had a few classic-based books all tying into the anniversary (the Mega Drive mini-series, "Genesis of a Hero") so maybe there's an expectation to produce at least twelve issues of classic-based material as part of a separate license. Who knows?

6 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

That was at the start of 2016, the 2017 edition doesn't even make mention of the comic in the brand summary. 

It doesn't mention alot of things in the 2017 summary, it seems to focus mostly on Boom, the games and the upcoming movie. And something about apperal being avalible at Gamestop and what not

But yea, I'm guessing we might get more info about all the current lisenciors later in the year, maybe around the time they release the first teaser/poster for the movie or something like that.

@Barry:  Doesn't mean it's cancled either.  Maybe the book will be a comic shop exclusive or something from now on and that's why subscriptions are gone.  Who knows, just have to wait & see.

Also while far from a sure sign, note there's no new arcs or anything being started in the issues since GoaH; just single shot stories. Makes sense; wouldn't want the series to end mid-arc, innit. 

Saying that, if it were to make it to #300 it'd make sense to perhaps start the arc (usually 4 parts) at #296 so it ends at #300, so who knows. That's assuming it makes it to #300 given that'd take several months. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ian said some time ago that there'd be smaller arcs/stories between GoaH and 300, this isn't anything new.

• Thumbs Up 9