Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I've got a little hypothesis regarding SU's Freedom Fighters arc.

Each part involves a SatAM protagonist teaming up with at least one Sega character: Antoine with Sonic, Bunnie with Blaze, Sally with Amy and Cream for Nicole's sake. My guess is that the last part will star Rotor and Tails- maybe Big, too.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Mister X said:

Crossover with Riverdale.

Finally all of those Sonic high school fanfics will be a reality!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

I've got a little hypothesis regarding SU's Freedom Fighters arc.

Each part involves a SatAM protagonist teaming up with at least one Sega character: Antoine with Sonic, Bunnie with Blaze, Sally with Amy and Cream for Nicole's sake. My guess is that the last part will star Rotor and Tails- maybe Big, too.

I approve of this theory. Very much so.

Speaking of which, I'm actually surprised Sally is part 3. I honestly thought she'd be last for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, BlueBlur91 said:

inb4 Shadow's an emo

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BlueBlur91 said:

Been there, done that:

Sonic High School.jpg

Anyway, I suppose the new Archie solicitations are good news. Things can't be too bad between Archie and Sega if the comic can still be mentioned in new solicitations. We'll just have to see if each comic is released as scheduled now.

Solicits being available does not mean we're out of the woods just yet. If anything, it just tells the general public that things are "business as usual" (again, to maintain company image as they gear up for the Riverdale premiere, it's "all hands on deck"). For us, we're not the "general public"--we're a little bit more in-the-know as we are actively trying to get clear information as to what's going on. Notice how absolutely no comic book website is covering this, meaning that no comic book website has gone on the record to actively reach out to Archie for a comment (except for Bleeding Cool, which is more of a tabloid really). 

Tyson Hesse has all-but-confirmed that something has been occurring behind the scenes by saying that Archie "forgetting to renew their license hurdur" was "100% not what happened." Whatever it is, it may have been worked out. But for now, subscriptions are still offline--a week after I called, mind you, and was told that them being offline meant a high likelihood of the book getting cancelled (which wasn't an answer I was expecting--I was expecting something more "red-tape")--an answer that was changed when other people called because there was probably an internal memo to, again, protect company image. 

If we do find out something, it'll likely not be until after Riverdale premiers this week. Even then it might not be until after a few episodes (so, a few weeks). 

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

Solicits being available does not mean we're out of the woods just yet. If anything, it just tells the general public that things are "business as usual" (again, to maintain company image as they gear up for the Riverdale premiere, it's "all hands on deck"). For us, we're not the "general public"--we're a little bit more in-the-know as we are actively trying to get clear information as to what's going on. Notice how absolutely no comic book website is covering this, meaning that no comic book website has gone on the record to actively reach out to Archie for a comment (except for Bleeding Cool, which is more of a tabloid really). 

Tyson Hesse has all-but-confirmed that something has been occurring behind the scenes by saying that Archie "forgetting to renew their license hurdur" was "100% not what happened." Whatever it is, it may have been worked out. But for now, subscriptions are still offline--a week after I called, mind you, and was told that them being offline meant a high likelihood of the book getting cancelled (which wasn't an answer I was expecting--I was expecting something more "red-tape")--an answer that was changed when other people called because there was probably an internal memo to, again, protect company image. 

If we do find out something, it'll likely not be until after Riverdale premiers this week. Even then it might not be until after a few episodes (so, a few weeks). 

It's also possible the customer service rep you talked to was wrong and was just giving an answer based on an assumption because the subscription were gone.

Anywho I honestly doubt Riverdale has anything to do with this as it is aimed at a much different group then the Sonic comics.  If they were going to cancel it we would not have gotten April solicits.  They may cancel the ability to subscribe to the book because whatever deal they have with SEGA may not allow them to do so anymore.  Who knows.  But yea, I doubt we will ever get an answer to the issue, and if the comics still get released like normal minus mail-in subscriptions, we'll that's fine with me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just a heads up, ComiXology is having a 50% off line wide sale on all Archie comics, including Sonic comics: https://www.comixology.com/Archie-Linewide-Sale/page/13874?

This probably has no implications about the future of the Sonic comics, just another end of year-ish digital sale. Still, it's worth noting that the Sonic comics haven't disappeared from ComiXology, the licence to the back issues appears unaffected by whatever problems Archie is having at the moment.

Personally though, I'm also kind of annoyed the sale is happening now and not weeks ago when I was buying all the Sonic back issues. I could've saved a lot of money if Archie acted sooner and had their ComiXology sale in November or December like everybody else. Oh well, it's still a good sale... I might as well grab every issue of Mega Man to round out my collection of Sonic (and now Sonic related) comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does this sale apply to ALL Archie books, or just the ones on the page? From what I recall of Comixology's sales, it usually only applies to whatever selections they offer.

Because if it's the latter, it's not a particularly impressive offering for their Action imprint. It seems the only Sonic/Mega Man related things are: Sonic Archives (vols. 0-24), Mega Man trades (vols. 1-8), Sonic/Mega Man (Worlds Collide Complete, Worlds Collide 1-3, Worlds Unite 1-2) .....and the Princess Sally mini-series.

Great selection there, Comixology/Archie... Well, I can at least grab the first few volumes of Mega Man. Kinda wish some other stuff, even Knuckles or other trade lines were included (unless I'm mistaken, in which case please correct me).

Ian added the April Solicits to his Bumbleking blog.   That is pretty reassuring.  I doubt he would do so or Archie would have even put out the solicits if anything serious were wrong.

http://bumbleking.com

But yea I have a feeling weather or not Subscriptions come back, this may just be a weird situation we never get an answer to from Archie or SEGA.

I say we just Blame it on Ken Penders, he's the Canada of Archie Sonic, everything is automatically his fault. XD :P

download.png

Edit:  Also nice to hear about the sale.  I don't really do digital comics often, but I'm not opposed to having a handful of favorite stories on the go.

• Thumbs Up 6

32 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

I say we just Blame it on Ken Penders, he's the Canada of Archie Sonic,

Ken Penders never apologizes for his mistakes, let alone anything else like the Canadian stereotype goes.

He's also not to blame here, because he's completely inconsequential to Sega and Sonic.

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

Does this sale apply to ALL Archie books, or just the ones on the page? From what I recall of Comixology's sales, it usually only applies to whatever selections they offer.

Because if it's the latter, it's not a particularly impressive offering for their Action imprint. It seems the only Sonic/Mega Man related things are: Sonic Archives (vols. 0-24), Mega Man trades (vols. 1-8), Sonic/Mega Man (Worlds Collide Complete, Worlds Collide 1-3, Worlds Unite 1-2) .....and the Princess Sally mini-series.

Great selection there, Comixology/Archie... Well, I can at least grab the first few volumes of Mega Man. Kinda wish some other stuff, even Knuckles or other trade lines were included (unless I'm mistaken, in which case please correct me).

The sale should apply to all Archie comics on ComiXology. Since individual comics aren't already discounted, instead you enter the code 'archie' at the checkout to get 50% off.

I know this works because I just put each individual issue of Mega Man in my cart (none of which appear on the sale page) and then entered the code at checkout. I got 50% off those Mega Man issues.

So it should work for anything you want to buy. Just make sure you enter the code first, to activate the discount, before confirming the purchase.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Kintor said:

The sale should apply to all Archie comics on ComiXology. Since individual comics aren't already discounted, instead you enter the code 'archie' at the checkout to get 50% off.

I know this works because I just put each individual issue of Mega Man in my cart (none of which appear on the sale page) and then entered the code at checkout. I got 50% off those Mega Man issues.

So it should work for anything you want to buy. Just make sure you enter the code first, to activate the discount, before confirming the purchase.

Oh, cool. Thanks for clearing that up! I'll have to try this out tomorrow then.

Good to see some new solicits, as always. I'm actually pretty pumped to see a SegaSonic adaptation on the horizon - Mighty and Ray need a bit more love in the post-reboot world.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Kintor said:

Been there, done that:

Sonic High School.jpg

Anyway, I suppose the new Archie solicitations are good news. Things can't be too bad between Archie and Sega if the comic can still be mentioned in new solicitations. We'll just have to see if each comic is released as scheduled now.

I miss those days back when covers were going for a light anime vibe

10 hours ago, Kintor said:

Just a heads up, ComiXology is having a 50% off line wide sale on all Archie comics, including Sonic comics: https://www.comixology.com/Archie-Linewide-Sale/page/13874?

This probably has no implications about the future of the Sonic comics, just another end of year-ish digital sale. Still, it's worth noting that the Sonic comics haven't disappeared from ComiXology, the licence to the back issues appears unaffected by whatever problems Archie is having at the moment.

Personally though, I'm also kind of annoyed the sale is happening now and not weeks ago when I was buying all the Sonic back issues. I could've saved a lot of money if Archie acted sooner and had their ComiXology sale in November or December like everybody else. Oh well, it's still a good sale... I might as well grab every issue of Mega Man to round out my collection of Sonic (and now Sonic related) comics.

Thanks for the heads up! Always looking for a chance to get cheaper digital issues.

Plus, EVERY Mega Man issue is $2 on there already, so with the discount, I can get the entire series in digital format for less than $60. So cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Getting back to the solicits, there's one thing I wanted to point out: this is the second time Riverdale #1 has been resolicited.

4 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Getting back to the solicits, there's one thing I wanted to point out: this is the second time Riverdale #1 has been resolicited.

They really wanna make sure people know that show exists There are even doing a digest for it. 

While I have no interest in the show personally I do hope it does well for them so maybe they can make some good money off of it and keep their Sonic Comics stable.  Heck they might do well enough to take their Afterlife & Dark Circle books out on a regular schedule.

3 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

They really wanna make sure people know that show exists There are even doing a digest for it. 

While I have no interest in the show personally I do hope it does well for them so maybe they can make some good money off of it and keep their Sonic Comics stable.  Heck they might do well enough to take their Afterlife & Dark Circle books out on a regular schedule.

You don't seem to understand: this is supposed to be a new ongoing comic series along with the show. And they seem to be having trouble even getting it out the door.

4 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

You don't seem to understand: this is supposed to be a new ongoing comic series along with the show. And they seem to be having trouble even getting it out the door.

I was underthe impressions the Riverdale book was a one-shot.  But if they Are doing it as an ongoing that's interesting I guess.  But yea, sad to see they still have trouble getting stuff out on time.

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Maybe? I mean, they seem to be tying it in to the debut of the show, so maybe it has to do with network planning and trying to keep pace?

5663958-sonic%23294.jpg

Ah, a SegaSonic Archide flashback! This should be fun! Interesting to here that Sonic and Mighty will be butting egos throughout it.

5663961-sonicuniv%2397.jpg

Not sure if I like this cover. Wonder who this old foe could be...

• Thumbs Up 2

Given that it's about Sally and co. looking for parts to repair Nicole, I'm assuming the "old adversary" is probably Phage.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Tylinos said:

Given that it's about Sally and co. looking for parts to repair Nicole, I'm assuming the "old adversary" is probably Phage.

Yeah, that was my first guess. Plus, I forgot what Mr. Flynn alluded to in Bumblekast.

• Thumbs Up 3