Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Does anybody here know the exact date that the November/December 1992 issue of Sega Visions hit news stands? That issue included Archie's Sonic #1/4 as a promotional insert, and as such was the true beginning of Archie's involvement with the franchise. We know it was out before Sonic miniseries #0, which was published on November 24th, because the back of #1/4 was promoting #0's release. However, depending on how SV labeled its issues in relation to realtime, the actual sell date could have been earlier in November, or even several months prior.

Does anybody have solicitations for the magazine that would give us the "true" anniversary date?

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

not that it's a big accomplishment

I would say this one is better. Chaotix in caper are slightly too much of incompetent clowns. Second issue is just "how to fill a pages between meeting Fang and meeting Chip. You know, I think we didn't waste enough pages talking about ghosts, even though we won't use them in the story." And comedy was better in Pirate Princess.

On the upside, Chaos Caper had Relic and better climax (heck, it had action scenes in general), but I just found whole arc kinda boring. I feel like it could been told in 2 issues, 3 tops.

Perhaps. The ghost talk amused me though so I suppose I didn't care too much about the time wasting. If only because I have a limited amount of time to spend with the Chaotix in comparison to everyone else I guess. Plus, I thought the motivational speech Charmy got out of it was cute.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Does anybody here know the exact date that the November/December 1992 issue of Sega Visions hit news stands? That issue included Archie's Sonic #1/4 as a promotional insert, and as such was the true beginning of Archie's involvement with the franchise. We know it was out before Sonic miniseries #0, which was published on November 24th, because the back of #1/4 was promoting #0's release. However, depending on how SV labeled its issues in relation to realtime, the actual sell date could have been earlier in November, or even several months prior.

Does anybody have solicitations for the magazine that would give us the "true" anniversary date?

According to ME (not me, ME), it came out on the same day, as both were released in time with Sonic 2's North American (and European) release.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

According to ME (not me, ME), it came out on the same day, as both were released in time with Sonic 2's North American (and European) release.

Really? On my screen ME says that it came out before #0.

Wait...the publishing date for Sonic #0 was November 1992, but the cover says it's the Feb (presumably 1993) edition. It might be that Sonic #1/4 was the issue that got released on November 24th, while Sonic #0 came later. That would make a bit more sense considering promoting SatAM nearly a year beforehand via the miniseries would be weird. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Wait...the publishing date for Sonic #0 was November 1992, but the cover says it's the Feb (presumably 1993) edition. It might be that Sonic #1/4 was the issue that got released on November 24th, while Sonic #0 came later. That would make a bit more sense considering promoting SatAM nearly a year beforehand via the miniseries would be weird. 

Comics and magazines do this all the time: they postdate their issues. For example, the first issue of Marvel's Transformers was published on 8 May 1984, but the cover date is September 1984. Sonic miniseries #0 came out on 24 November, but is postdated to February of the next year.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah okay, so it's probable that's Sonic #1/4 is put as before Sonic #0 just for the sake of ease, and Sonic #1/4 took priority because it was a small promo that seems like a slightly earlier version of Sonic #0 (not to mention just one part of #0's story), the proper miniseries issue. 

16 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

All this talk about ME is making me think of a certain Windows release.

I'm just assuming everyone's talking about the Master Emerald, as in "Unknown from M.E." I know the release date. I can sense it in my feet. Wait a minute—wrong song.

• Thumbs Up 3

Previewsworld still has STH #291-#293 set for March 22nd.  Not gonna lie, if by some miracle we do get lucky to get all of those on the Same day, I would cry tears of nerdy joy.  And Overdrive is still March 29th with Sonic Universe 95  & 97 still set for April 12th.  Sonic Universe 96 still has the March 8th solicit but i'm guessing that will change to April soon enough.

Also hoping Sonic Super Special Magzine #14 release for Feb 22nd sticks, that's just 3 weeks awake and it would be nice to have something Sonic related to look forward to this month! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

For the zero people who care, I've narrowed down the release of Sonic Miniseries #1/4 to the month of September 1992. The issue of Sega Visions which contained it featured a list of explicitly upcoming Genesis and Game Gear games, some of which were scheduled for release in September. Unfortunately, Google searches fail to yield a concrete release date for any of the games listed. Cross-referencing the September titles with those listed in the previous issue, it would seem the magazine was published near the end of September, since there was very little overlap. Beyond that, though, it's all a guessing game.

So, September of this year will mark the 25th anniversary of Archie Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Previewsworld still has STH #291-#293 set for March 22nd.  Not gonna lie, if by some miracle we do get lucky to get all of those on the Same day, I would cry tears of nerdy joy.  And Overdrive is still March 29th with Sonic Universe 95  & 97 still set for April 12th.  Sonic Universe 96 still has the March 8th solicit but i'm guessing that will change to April soon enough.

Also hoping Sonic Super Special Magzine #14 release for Feb 22nd sticks, that's just 3 weeks awake and it would be nice to have something Sonic related to look forward to this month! :)

Wait I thought Overdrive was coming March 1st?

Not really, Jazwares showed concepts of the Shadow/Rouge comic pack and another comic pack before that got canned. Granted, it was the figure licence and not the comic licence that was the issue there, but still shows it's not a guarantee. 

Besides, I don't know if the comic would even have to be alive to make comic packs, considering they'd just be using old issues and I have no idea how the comic pack licences work. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Isn't the whole point of the packs to promote the comic? Makes them pretty unnecessary if there's no comic to promote, wouldn't you say?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Isn't the whole point of the packs to promote the comic? Makes them pretty unnecessary if there's no comic to promote, wouldn't you say?

Comic packs have really much less to do with promoting the comic than providing value and an incentive to purchase. "Oh, if I buy these action figures, then my kid gets toys AND a comic book!"

TOMY could give a shit about Archie, they just wanna sell more toys. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Yeah, Kadybat's pretty correct; they don't really care about promoting the comic, they just want a little extra thrown in so it makes people more likely to buy them. I mean, the Sonic/Blaze comic pack was sold in the UK, and there isn't really an easy way to get Archie in the UK, so that's not going to help promotion. 

In all honesty, there's also the possibility that they don't know what's going on. A merch branch like the figure licence is so out of the way that they might not know these developments until we do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh hey, a new subscription on the Archie subscriptions page.

It's Little Archie. 

Edit: Actually, I think it's Riverdale that's new (would make more sense). 

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Oh hey, a new subscription on the Archie subscriptions page.

It's Little Archie. 

My expectation: comics will continue to be pushed back with no reason being given until around March, which is when we'll hear StH and SU are cancelled. 

4 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

My expectation: comics will continue to be pushed back with no reason being given until around March, which is when we'll hear StH and SU are cancelled. 

Either that or the comic keeps going as before and we're never told what happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Borvoc said:

Either that or the comic keeps going as before and we're never told what happened.

Yeah that's entirely possible too. But I don't think we can say "business as usual" just because of solicits when we don't have subs available for this long and constantly pushing back of books, and that something is definitely going on as said by Tyson Hesse a few weeks back.

On another (somewhat unrelated) note, Riverdale's first 2 episodes have been surprisingly good.

• Thumbs Up 2