Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

7 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I still say it's in trouble.  no company should let rumors swirl this long honestly

Definitely something wrong. It just might not be permanent, and Archie might not be allowed to talk about it one way or another yet, in which case they wouldn't have a choice but to let rumors swirl around. Or the comic might be dead; I'm just not ready to give up on it until we have the final word.

Edit: I feel like giving up on the comic prematurely is at least a little bad for the comic's chances to the extent that fans have any say in its fate. If all the fans give up before we know for sure, it can kill the positive energy and become a self-fulfilling prophecy (fans give up and therefore lose interest, and lack of fan interest influences Archie not to fight for the comic and and Sega not to want to continue)—at least the way I see things, so I'm sticking to the most realistic optimistic interpretation I can find while still preparing for the worst.

Not saying anyone needs to share my outlook. Just sharing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, this seems to go nowhere, namely this situation. I personally think though it's not a bad thing that people have these, maybe a bit overreacting, shout-outs wherever they can. Now, hear me out will you before you start to call me a warmonger, no. That's not in my intention.

The thing is, if no one's making any noise we will gain no info/interest at all. At least Tyson Hesse did make a notion about the matter which means this noise has not gone entirely unnoticed. And that's a good thing because that means the parties deciding of Archie Sonic's fate may actually have noticed that there really are guys that care about this comic so much they get worried for its continuation when this kind of "unnoticeable" things happen. These strong-opinion reactions possibly create pressure on the said parties to come to some kind of conclusion over the matter as fast as possible. It might even help to turn the tables, I suppose. But I most sincerely hope it could be kept as collected, not too repetitive and as polite as possible. I myself will try my best too not to get too much overboard anymore, though I still have my opinions over the matter...

All in all, it's time for another unnecessary 80's lyrics quote, sorry but I need to get this out of my system:

Hoping for the best/ but expexting the worst/ are you gonna drop the bomb or not?

Oh yes, the lyrics of the album say going to but my ears tell me otherwise... or that singer got the "to" so quietly I didn't catch it. Have listened this many times and three times before writing this down just in case I remembered it wrong...

Soo... Alphaville this time. Anybody agrees for the timing of this one quote? I just love how high this one goes ("Forever Young" if somebody couldn't recall)... people around me usually don't.

I wonder if the shop staff will forget my face during this time... since I'm not constantly showing it to theirs nowadays. And I still hope all this fuss is happening over a freaking duck and not for a real deal.

• Thumbs Up 2

For a minute there, Blue, I thought you were reacting to something I said. I agree with your post, but am confused as to what a duck has to do with all this. Are we talking about Donald or something? Does Archie Sonic have ducks?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, doctorbenMD said:

My expectation: comics will continue to be pushed back with no reason being given until around March, which is when we'll hear StH and SU are cancelled. 

Doubtful.  They would have removed them from the April Solicits if that were the case.  They are mostly already set for March & April anyway.  And if we get May solicits on top of that.

And if they do end it probably won't be till after 300 & 100 Respectively.

Like Witj Mega-Man & Sonic Boom they will definitely at least release all the books they solicited.  The trades are the only thing I really worry about. :P

I could totally see Super Special Magazine #14 getting canned though.

• Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

For a minute there, Blue, I thought you were reacting to something I said. I agree with your post, but am confused as to what a duck has to do with all this. Are we talking about Donald or something? Does Archie Sonic have ducks?

Well, it has Bean the Dynamite in it...

• Thumbs Up 2

And honestly from a financial point it wouldn't make sense for Archie to drop Sonic as that means they would sell 14,000-16,000 less books a month.  Add in those that would cancel subscriptions or pull lists for any other Archie Titles out of Anger/Spite for their favorite publication being cancled and then over time even the sales for the main books drop! (Seriously comic fans have dropped entire publishers over something as small as costume changes, actually canceling a book with a long established & loyal reader base and things get even worse!)

But yea, I bet even Archie is hating these delays because the are selling significantly less product to comic shops until things ger smoothed out.  

Honestly at this point the best the company can hope for is the success of Riverdale will get shops to order more of the trades for the Current Archie & Jughead books to tide them over until they can get New Betty & Veronica, Dark Circle & Sonic books out on time again!  Oh and the Riverdale comic as well of course.

But yea, I really hope Archie can get whatever problems that are causing the delays of Sonic & other titles worked out.  Fans can only take so much before they give up on a publisher altogether.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Borvoc said:

I assume it's meant to be a take on the phrase "lame duck", so they're hoping it's over one person who's messed up. 

4 hours ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

And honestly from a financial point it wouldn't make sense for Archie to drop Sonic as that means they would sell 14,000-16,000 less books a month.

Again, if the idea that this is from SEGA's end has any weight, SEGA don't really care if it hurts Archie, so rationalising it this way is kinda inaccurate. 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I assume it's meant to be a take on the phrase "lame duck", so they're hoping it's over one person who's messed up. 

Again, if the idea that this is from SEGA's end has any weight, SEGA don't really care if it hurts Archie, so rationalising it this way is kinda inaccurate. 

True.  But again I can't see SEGA just going "Screw You" to a company that has helped promote their property in the states almost as long as set property has been around.  Again, the fact that Archie themselves hasn't said the comic is canceled (if it was they would have said so by now and not released the April 17 solicits with sonic books, and canceled the previously solicited books instead of just pushing them back)  So odds are the delay is just a delay.  And if in two or so weeks when the May 17 Solicits are out if Sonic is present there as well we can finally put all of this hoopla to rest!

Just now, SonicComicFanboy said:

True.  But again I can't see SEGA just going "Screw You" to a company that has helped promote their property in the states almost as long as set property has been around. 

I can.

One for the fact SoJ has always been ambivalent to the comic's existence and at times seem to have disliked what the West brought in (some of which is still in the comic). 

Two for the fact it's willing to screw over a different branch of its own company, and has done quite a few times in the past. 

Three for the fact Archie over the past few years have brought active hassle to their door, what with legal issues and all that. 

Four for the fact the comic just isn't important to them. 

• Thumbs Up 6

7 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

True.  But again I can't see SEGA just going "Screw You" to a company that has helped promote their property in the states almost as long as set property has been around. 

Why not? Its a company , what they are willing to support changes. This happens especially when management changes and they don't like whats going on. 

Sega ain't your friend, Sega ain't archie's friend. Sega is a business 

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I can.

One for the fact SoJ has always been ambivalent to the comic's existence and at times seem to have disliked what the West brought in (some of which is still in the comic). 

Two for the fact it's willing to screw over a different branch of its own company, and has done quite a few times in the past. 

Three for the fact Archie over the past few years have brought active hassle to their door, what with legal issues and all that. 

Welll I can understand SOJ being jealous of the U.S. Comic & Cartoons, after all they as well as the Fleetway comic in the U.K. actually tried to create a more concrete cannons/story around Sonic before SEGA themselves ever did.

SOJ can be ambivalent all they want, and that doesn't justify it.   Heck even the legal issues were  just as much/more Ken Penders being a crazy-egg then just Archie messing up.  And any headache that caused them is most likely minor in the scheme of things given they could have just as easily pulled the license back in 2013 after all that stuff happened, but they didn't.

Again, we will merely have to wait & see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I can.

Also all this, especially the first thing. Want to remind you all, the only reason The Archie characters continue to exist is because they argued for it, and while I can't say exactly how it did in all it sales... besides the large drop in the numbers we do have, at least from a qualitative stand point.. I don't think the reboot has been the best. To be fair sega might not care about that, but what they do care is how the comic presents them, and as mentioned there are elements of the comic that still exist that they might not like at all. 

I personally can totally see them strait up not liking the freedom fighters , for them team " sonic " is tails knuckles and sonic himself. And occasion amy. Having a team filled with characters that they don't actively promote or like being sonic's team... might not be something they like. But was willing to work with given the idea of sonic universe, the characters they have being pushed at a consistent rate. They still however just might not like it, ontop of that, they might want their characters to have major push in the main book along with the side book. And then the rumor that sega was... to underplay it " unhappy" with how worlds unite turned out particularly with someone died

My point is, they can't not like something at let it exist, but its usually on a timer, this timer could potentially be accelerated if another company could be giving them a better deal 

Just now, SonicComicFanboy said:

True.  But again I can't see SEGA just going "Screw You" to a company that has helped promote their property in the states almost as long as set property has been around.  Again, the fact that Archie themselves hasn't said the comic is canceled (if it was they would have said so by now and not released the April 17 solicits with sonic books, and canceled the previously solicited books instead of just pushing them back)  So odds are the delay is just a delay.  And if in two or so weeks when the May 17 Solicits are out if Sonic is present there as well we can finally put all of this hoopla to rest!

SoJ can absolutely say "screw you" because the constant lawsuits going on between Archie and old writers involving characters that aren't even the game characters are far worse than sacrificing a book. Think about it: if you were a business partnered with another business and they kept screwing shit up because of their ineptitude and poor business decisions, wouldn't YOU want out? Archie has been living in constant fear of SEGA since the Penders lawsuit--they were told not to do this again.

And then in rolls Fulop who's crying foul over his characters, including this one named "Black Death." As a company from another country, can you appreciate that SoJ looks at all of this and thinks "what the fuck are they doing to our brand?" ESPECIALLY considering how ambivalent SoJ has been to the comic to begin with considering it features characters from an American cartoon from 25 years ago. Frankly, the book should never have lasted as long as it did when you take that into consideration--talk about a niche within a niche within a niche.

Solicits being put out doesn't mean the book is going to be released. Look at what happened with the FCBD book--solicited and then dropped with no explanation. If anything, it means Archie wants to cover their image so they don't look bad during their biggest gamble into live television. And before you tell me "Riverdale has nothing to do with this"--Riverdale ABSOLUTELY has to do with this. Archie is a small publishing company that spent mucho dollars to make a TV show. If it failed, the company would have gone under. And let's say they put out an announcement of the book getting cancelled right before Riverdale airs. All the press featuring the cancellation of a video game character comic book would DOMINATE the media more than Riverdale reviews, and would even be a footnote at the end of any Riverdale coverage. 

Don't let your fanboyism cloud facts. Temper your expectations. 

Black_Death.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Welll I can understand SOJ being jealous of the U.S. Comic & Cartoons, after all they as well as the Fleetway comic in the U.K. actually tried to create a more concrete cannons/story around Sonic before SEGA themselves ever did.

I don't think they are jealous, I think they don't like it. I'm not saying that sega can't get jealous ( rumor is it happens internally from time to time ). But I just don't think they like it, and they want sonic to be , what they want it to be. What archie is creating push for characters, that for all intents and purposes kind of just don't exist. 

SOJ can be ambivalent all they want, and that doesn't justify it. 

Ehh.....

Heck even the legal issues were  just as much/more Ken Penders being a crazy-egg then just Archie messing up. 

No it wasn't Archie lost legal binding documents that could have solved that, or they didn't exist in the first place. And it wasn't just ken, it was other arthors and artists who hadn't gotten paid that should have been. Archie is a poorly organized mess of a company to this day, people who I know personally who have and now work for Archie describe as " on fire

Yeah ken is kind of a weird jerk, but the reason he was able to be a jerk was because archie didn't have their ducks in a row. 

And any headache that caused them is most likely minor in the scheme of things given they could have just as easily pulled the license back in 2013 after all that stuff happened, but they didn't.

Them having to possibly pay for any of that is more than issue. The potential bonus is, ken penders lawsuit wasn't just directed at archie. IIRC it mentions sonic Chronicles, meaning that. Ken penders could potentially make it difficult for them to ever introduce another echidna in any sega sonic thing ever again. And even if that's not the case, the fact that they may have to spend any money on that is an issue soley caused by archie's incompetence is a problem

Again, we will merely have to wait & see what happens. 

Sure, we will. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1. the Freedom Fighters existed a lot longer before a good chunk of modern SEGA Sonic's existing cast.  I agree that Sonic, Knuckles & Tails should always be the core heroes of any aspect of the Franchise, but the FF are just as legit Sonic characters as the others.   SOJ not caring for them and wanting to use their own ideas doesn't change that.

2.  Expecting books that were solicited to actually come out is not really something that is too high of an expectation

3. Yes Riverdale replaced the Sonic FCBD book this year, which sucks, but oh well, it was just gonna be a Megadrive reprint anyway. 

4. I agree Archie is putting a lot of Eggs in one basket with Riverdale, but and maybe i'm wrong, but the show isn't made by Archie themselves, its made by Bertalni Productions (or whatever the name of the studio is) for the CW, shouldn't Archie actually be getting money from it as it is someone licensing their property!?  Although I would agree they probably had to pay or at least help pay for the promotion/advertisements.

Again, at the end of the day all we can do is wait & see what happens.  But until we are told otherwise i'm going to chalk this up to fan over-reaction mixed with exaggerated or just flat out misinformation.

Again, I admit I fully expect SSSM #14 to get cancled, but we should see Overdrive, STH #291-#294 and SU #95-97 come March/April.  And we could very well get solicits for STH #295 & SU #98 in the May 17 Solicits later this month! ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

1. the Freedom Fighters existed a lot longer before a good chunk of modern SEGA Sonic's existing cast.  I agree that Sonic, Knuckles & Tails should always be the core heroes of any aspect of the Franchise, but the FF are just as legit Sonic characters as the others.   SOJ not caring for them and wanting to use their own ideas doesn't change that.

It does. 

They exist on a whim. Their continued existence, is soley based on the notion that sega didn't push harder. And if the comic gets canceled, they wont exist. 

They are not legit characters, you may like them, I may like them. But at the end of the day, the book doesn't get to as many people as the games, and those are what sega wants to push. Sticks is more legitimate and more valued by sega , than everyone specific to the comic. And if the comic goes away. That's it. It will be unceremonious and all the archie characters will amount to " remember that weird comic" and that's about it. 

Age means nothing, its what they want to push, and its who's popular. That's it. 

So yes, it does they change that. They are in charge. And that's business.  

Like an example it doesn't matter I think Ellias Acorn is the tightest shit, he doesn't exist anymore. There isn't any legitimacy to be had, because that's solely in the hands of the rights holders. The only way to make that legitimate would for there to be enough rukus for them to care about their characters, but wasn't enough of an audience for them to care too much now. So that wouldn't change. 

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

3. Yes Riverdale replaced the Sonic FCBD book this year, which sucks, but oh well, it was just gonna be a Megadrive reprint anyway. 

Gotta push the show. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I particularly view the situation this way:

we obviously know that SEGA, be it SoA or SoJ, can totally tell archie to cease production and promotion of the books immediately (although if that's the case i don't really know if they would  be allowed to even sell anything that have Sonic on the name, like their stocks of old issues and/or GN's , since they wouldn't have the license to do so, again, not a especialist on the legal matters), but if that's the case, why don't just release a note, like for example, Sonic Runners, they released a statement alleging it was a failure, and little time after they went "Sonic Runners will be shut down on the 'insert date here' , that's all folks". so if that's really the SEGA pulling the plug scenario, why have such a different behaviour?, this considering the Runners case wasn't that long ago

Hoping for more info soon

Also:

They are not legit characters

with this i disagree, as minor as a character may be, if they appeared in a official product and are owned by the company, they are legit characters, like Mighty, Ray or Fang/Nack

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, irrelevant is a more accurate word to use in that context than illegitimate. I mean, they have an existence and are owned by SEGA. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Well for one thing , That games falure ( having to gamble for characters like goddamn heathens) was a sega thing, didn't work as well as they wanted, aborted. 

As for the difference in behavior,  maybe they thought it work out and in the end it was just something they didn't want to do at all. Or maybe they went out looking for other folks to make books, and maybe they found a more promising business partner and archie is trying keep the brand. 

Those would be my guesses. Like comic books aren't serve space, running an online game, as... small as a mobile game might cost a chunk of change. And while i'm not saying that comic book production is cheap, it might have not been such a drain on resources to demand them end it immediately . But the eventuality was coming. 

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Yeah, irrelevant is a more accurate word to use in that context than illegitimate. I mean, they have an existence and are owned by SEGA. 

That doesn't mean they care. And they don't... they are irrelevant. 

There are plenty of companies who own things that don't care for and don't want people to use. To use a more, vicious example, the company that bought vine, just to kill vine. And... now its irrelevant besides " rip vine " 

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I never said they cared, I just said they are owned by the company so they're legitimate. 

You are correct. 

Sally is more legitimate that Elias, 

we live in the bad timeline

24 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Pretty much.  The Freedom Fighters are legit, even if SEGA gives zero expletives about em.  Like Mighty, Ray & Nack lack of presence in the modern games does not in any way delegitimize.

Also as awesome & adorable as Sticks is, I don't think SEGA really cares about her either sadly as they consider Boom a failure.  (Which is another ridiculous thing as the show is doing just fine even if the games underperform)

But yea, I get what everyone is saying.  But again we have no concrete way to claim anything one way or another.

As for me, I became a fan of Sonic because of the early cartoons & comics.  These two mediums have been intwined with the franchise from the start and losing either would be bad for the franchise.   Heck I still find it crazy we had and 8 year drought between the end of Sonic X & the start of Sonic Boom!

But yea, for me Sonic is just as much a cartoon & comic character as he is a video game character.  And lord willing he always will be.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Pretty much.  The Freedom Fighters are legit, even if SEGA gives zero expletives about em.  Like Mighty, Ray & Nack lack of presence in the modern games does not in any way delegitimize.

Not being in games doesn't necessarily make you illegitimate, knuckles and shadow will tell you that much. So why they are not technically illegitimate, their lack of presence besides Easter eggs, sega has put those guys firmly in the " not real boys" category 

Also as awesome & adorable as Sticks is, I don't think SEGA really cares about her either sadly as they consider Boom a failure.  (Which is another ridiculous thing as the show is doing just fine even if the games underperform)

They care about her, SoJ designed her. And they seem to be pushing boom to some degree, and they care enough about boom, to make retroactive changes to things. Though in some cases it might just be damage control, like shadow's character. I think its less they don't care, and more they didn't actually know too much about what was happening, until it was like too late. And now they are going through and making changes, Izuka is back in LA, they are pushing boom in japan. Boom content post season 2 might be different. 

As for me, I became a fan of Sonic because of the early cartoons & comics.  These two mediums have been in twined with the franchise from the start and losing either would be bad for the franchise.   Heck I still find it crazy we had and 8 year drought between the end of Sonic X & the start of Sonic Boom!

I think that you wouldn't be loosing the comic, you would get a comic by someone else, more catered to sega's tasted. 

But yea, for me Sonic is just as much a cartoon & comic character as he is a video game character.  And lord willing hr always will be.

For me he's a game character. That's where he started, that's why is and continues to be famous, the other things are nice bonus's that I think they need to do . 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Not being in games doesn't necessarily make you illegitimate, knuckles and shadow will tell you that much. So why they are not technically illegitimate, their lack of presence besides Easter eggs, sega has put those guys firmly in the " not real boys" category 

They care about her, SoJ designed her. And they seem to be pushing boom to some degree, and they care enough about boom, to make retroactive changes to things. Though in some cases it might just be damage control, like shadow's character. I think its less they don't care, and more they didn't actually know too much about what was happening, until it was like too late. And now they are going through and making changes, Izuka is back in LA, they are pushing boom in japan. Boom content post season 2 might be different. 

None of them are "real boys" they are all fictional characters, no one in any sonic media is a real boy, some aren't even boys. :P

Well that is good to know, I would hate to see Sticks disappear like others, heck, it would be awesome if they could incorporate her into the main games as well somehow!

I think that you wouldn't be loosing the comic, you would get a comic by someone else, more catered to sega's tasted. 

Which would be just as bad, if not worse. Ian Flynn has been great to the comic it would be a shame to see him go.  And a comic more "catered to SEGA's" taste would be just as pointless as canceling the comic as it would take away the comicvere's soul.  The FF are a huge part of what makes the comic unique!  If SEGA would allow whomever took over the comic if Archie did theoretically lose it, fine, otherwise might as well just drop out of comics altogether as the book would end up generic as heck if they are only allowed to use characters SEGA consider relevant (heck even older SEGA characters like Bean, Bark, Nack, Mighty, Ray & Honey could get the axe which would suck)

For me he's a game character. That's where he started, that's why is and continues to be famous, the other things are nice bonus's that I think they need to do . 

True, but from the beginning SEGA hired other companies to push him in various mediums.   Honestly I think it would be more accurate to call Sonic a multimedia character at this point, sure he started out as a simple SEGA Genisis game, but within a year or so after that he had a Comic from Archie & Fleetway, two cartoons from Dic, and I believe there was even a Manga in Japan to promote the game.

Honestly if SEGA was doing their job right they would respect the legacy of every aspect of the franchise like say TMNT does, there's been characters from both old comic & cartoon that have defined the franchise and are still used today.  If we were in a "good" timeline so to speak SEGA would still use Mighty,Ray, Nack, etc as playable characters in games, and even Archie/Satam/AOSTH/etc characters would show up in the games to some extent (even if it was as background NPC or wanted posters like Bean, Bark & Nack)

I mean I realize Sonic has a lot of characters, but so does TMNT & lots of other franchises/series that do a decent job of respecting their characters & their legacy in all aspects of their franchise.

That's what's wrong with SEGA, they don't properly respect the legacy of their own franchise, which is just messed up!

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Well, it has Bean the Dynamite in it...

You got me. How could I forget one of the best characters?

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

And then the rumor that sega was... to underplay it " unhappy" with how worlds unite turned out particularly with someone died

Really? This is news to me. Do you have a source on this? I mean this as less of a challenge and more me looking for more info.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

You are correct. 

Sally is more legitimate that Elias, 

we live in the bad timeline

Eh. He may still show up, right?