Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Good to hear, Chaoscontrol. I'll be waiting for the summary. =P

One question, though... are Jack's fellow Sand Blaster FFs given names?

The summary's up! Check my last post.

As for your question, they are indeed given names. Here are the names revealed in the story:

Green Roadrunner = Jolt

Gator = Tex

Bear = Avery

There was also a Wolf, but he wasn't given a name.

Ha! Tex and Avery! How punny. =P Fits into the SBFF's Looney Tunes theme...

Issue sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the summary, CC14.

Edited by Immortheus

Oh, one last request, CC14! Would you mind taking a pic of the Sand Blasters? I'd to see what they look like with Ben Bates drawing them.

Edited by Immortheus

Wow, Mr. Bates really made them look awesome! =D Methinks he's going to be one of my favourite artists...

Tex and Avery both look cool in particular.

Kinda difficult given how different the Antis are in appearance now. Patch really is missing an eye, Boomer is a cyborg thing, Tails just had his own arc so wouldn't be Miles (who would never be able to impersonate him anyway =P), Buns is in an Omega suit and is no longer on the side of evil... The only one who could even remotely pull it off would be Alicia, and I highly doubt that it's her. Last we saw of the Suppression Squad, Alicia and Miles were discussing that they have the schematics for the globe posts and were going to plan revenge on Mobius, so I do think we WILL see them again. I just kinda doubt they'd play the same old swap-out game this time, and if Sally was kidnapped AGAIN that would just be sad. So yeah, I highly doubt that any of the Antis are currently masquerading as any of the FFs.

Well I doubt it will be Patch. but Boomer could always make him some realistic glass eye. Boomer himself could possibly detach his cybernetics. Tails and Miles are already out of the question. Ian said in a blog about the Traitor, "Tails would be powerful enough to overcome the Freedom Fighters, but was not one of the original Freedom Fighters. Tails was always with the Freedom Fighters from the start, but not a full fledged Freedom Fighter for a long time." but it's already doubtful for your reasons. Bunnie was not an original Freedom Fighter anyway eliminating her. I suspect Alecia, but I don't think the switch has been made yet. Don't get me wrong I'm not hoping for another swap but it seams likely.

"Tails would be powerful enough to overcome the Freedom Fighters, but was not one of the original Freedom Fighters. Tails was always with the Freedom Fighters from the start, but not a full fledged Freedom Fighter for a long time."

Gah. This has ALWAYS bothered me.

I know that the comics are based on the SatAM cartoon where Tails only earned full Freedom Fighter status at the very end of the last aired season but... the whole deal with Tails not being a 'real' Freedom Fighter until relatively recently just bugs the hell out of me.

If we wanna talk about 'original' Freedom Fighters, Tails was one of the VERY first characters created by SEGA and who was Sonic's very first friend-and-sidekick character. He was out there fighting alongside Sonic from practically the very beginning. What SatAM, and subsequently Archie, did to him is unforgivable.

Don't get me wrong, I love the comics and I loved SatAM. But the way Tails is/was portrayed just never sat right with me. He's still, even with his own latest arc, treated like the 'baby' of the group and his status as the 'youngest' of the lot is CONSTANTLY referred to. Just how many times does he need to 'prove' his ability and independence? He's done so much, yet the status quo never changes. He still doesn't seem to have been fully accepted as a fully-fledged FF. Even Sonic's dialogue with Bunnie about Tails not coming on that mission in the latest issue had overtones of patronisation in it.

I understand that the comics stem from the cartoon, but many of the characters from the cartoon have been developed and have personalities and histories of their own now or have even been successfully retconned. Tails' status as 'baby of the group' sadly will most likely never change, however.

Not that I would want him to be the traitor, and I am pleased that Ian said he would potentially be powerful enough... but the rest of the reasoning just irks me because even if it IS true that he wasn't a fully-fledged FF back then, the implication is that he wasn't one for a LONG time after, either. So much time has passed in the comic books, yet so little has changed with the way Tails is seen within the group.

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely agreeing with everything mentioned in Flyboy's post.

Ian's explanation is flawed. While most of the characters have moved forward from their early comic and SatAM stereotypes, Tails is doomed to never escape this. I've lost hope that it will change. Consistently, every Tails solo-adventure has been about him "finally" proving he's not too young, while simultaneously showing how 'inexperienced' he is. He's been doing that same little act, again and again, for over a decade.

It all comes down to writers. A while back, during the issues in the early 100s, Tails had a brief time where he was with Sonic on a bunch of missions and it was never called to the readers attention that this was THE YOUNGEST FREEDOM FIGHTER'S big chance. It was just... normal. Sonic and Tails, tag teaming, doing their thing. Tails flying the Tornado, beating bots, giving Sonic a quick helitail lift. But since then he's just been retcon'd and retcon'd ad nauseum. Now, every time he's introduced, he has the 'young' label, and every time he does anything of importance, it's 'Wow! Let's give the little guy a shot! Aww, look, he's really trying! Good for him.'

Even if Tails has developed his mechanical genius, he's still the little guy, even though the age differenc between him and his companions is negligible. Ian's words have confirmed what I've been pretty sure of for a while. As far as Archie is concerned, Tails is not one of the core fighters. It'll never be normal for him to do anything the older FFs do without a big show about it. He's there, but he's the wiz-kid. That's his role. He'll never be Sonic's right hand man.

• Thumbs Up 2

Does Sonic even have a right-hand man in the comics?

I don't think Sonic really needs one. Tails is more independent and as shown to be as competent, if not more, than most of the Freedom Fighters. Hell, if Sonic and Bunny were too occupied and I need to pick up scraps, I would choose Tails and call up the Chaotix. Sonic just teams with whoever needs help and he does his hero thing. He really doesn't need a side kick, but just technical support. Sure, it sounds boring, but Sonic has been crafted as the resident Superman of the series.

As for Tails, honestly, out of all the Freedom Fighters, I would rank him 2 or 3 in terms of being useful and powerful. He is as smart as Rotor and can hold his own with Sonic and Knuckles. And he can fly and swim. If it weren't for Sonic's ultra speed and being goddamned way past cool[lame pun intended], Tails would and should be the go-to-guy on the Freedom Fighters if anybody used logic.

Gah. This has ALWAYS bothered me.

I know that the comics are based on the SatAM cartoon where Tails only earned full Freedom Fighter status at the very end of the last aired season but... the whole deal with Tails not being a 'real' Freedom Fighter until relatively recently just bugs the hell out of me.

If we wanna talk about 'original' Freedom Fighters, Tails was one of the VERY first characters created by SEGA and who was Sonic's very first friend-and-sidekick character. He was out there fighting alongside Sonic from practically the very beginning. What SatAM, and subsequently Archie, did to him is unforgivable.

Don't get me wrong, I love the comics and I loved SatAM. But the way Tails is/was portrayed just never sat right with me. He's still, even with his own latest arc, treated like the 'baby' of the group and his status as the 'youngest' of the lot is CONSTANTLY referred to. Just how many times does he need to 'prove' his ability and independence? He's done so much, yet the status quo never changes. He still doesn't seem to have been fully accepted as a fully-fledged FF. Even Sonic's dialogue with Bunnie about Tails not coming on that mission in the latest issue had overtones of patronisation in it.

I understand that the comics stem from the cartoon, but many of the characters from the cartoon have been developed and have personalities and histories of their own now or have even been successfully retconned. Tails' status as 'baby of the group' sadly will most likely never change, however.

Not that I would want him to be the traitor, and I am pleased that Ian said he would potentially be powerful enough... but the rest of the reasoning just irks me because even if it IS true that he wasn't a fully-fledged FF back then, the implication is that he wasn't one for a LONG time after, either. So much time has passed in the comic books, yet so little has changed with the way Tails is seen within the group.

I totally agree with you. But there is one reason I'm happy he didn't get in so fast. He was four. No one should be able to kick Ro"but"nik's but at the age of four. To me there is a thin line between epic and ridiculous. But when he ate that apple and turned 12 he should have been let in a lot quicker. Your last paragraph is too true. Sonic has a much higher respect for Tails after the fight between the two, but what about the others?

Nah, I didn't mean to say that Sonic needs a right-hand man so much as to say that when he goes on missions with someone else, it's rarely just Tails. But that's beside the point anyway.

As for Tails, honestly, out of all the Freedom Fighters, I would rank him 2 or 3 in terms of being useful and powerful. He is as smart as Rotor and can hold his own with Sonic and Knuckles. And he can fly and swim. If it weren't for Sonic's ultra speed and being goddamned way past cool[lame pun intended], Tails would and should be the go-to-guy on the Freedom Fighters if anybody used logic.

Exactly, he is all of those things! Which is why it frustrates me that whenever they have him do anything on his own, or he gets an important role, they have to preface it by reminding the reader that Tails is 'the young one', or as Ian had to point out, wasn't an official Freedom Fighter for a 'long time'. Which is bull really. And an insult to the fact that as a such a long standing staple of the Sonic franchise, Tails wasn't old enough to join people only three-five years older than him for a LONG TIME. XD Come on. Maybe he'll never be allowed out of the kid role, but for goodness' sake let him count as one of the original Freedom Fighters! Ah well.

Still not officially caught up, but caught up enough to comment on current issues. I've considered Tails a core member for a while. He's been too useful in the book overall to be written off like that. What was that whole Chosen One business, that was Tails. I also don't buy Miles being so influential in his zone if Tails isn't even a member.

By the way, I know little about this traitor arc or hints dropped to it, but is St. John or Max Acorn a candidate?

And I always considered Sandblast City to be kind of a Central-Asian Mobian analog to our Earth, especially given where it is on the map. Why are they in the American South again. Don't the Wolf Pack hail from a kinda Texas-Mexico looking area? I mean Downunda, Mercia, the Dragon Kingdom, but Sandblast is Southern again? Why.

Edited by Dabnikz

And I always considered Sandblast City to be kind of a Central-Asian Mobian analog to our Earth, especially given where it is on the map. Why are they in the American South again. Don't the Wolf Pack hail from a kinda Texas-Mexico looking area? I mean Downunda, Mercia, the Dragon Kingdom, but Sandblast is Southern again? Why.

Buh... what? I don't quite understand what you're asking.

The Dragon Kingdom is Mobius' version of Asia, we don't need two. Plus, Sandblast City has never had anything to do with Asian culture; lots of characters there have always spoke with Texan accents, and the architecture isn't exactly Asian. It's always sort of been the "Mobian South."

Oh my God, SU #23's cover... XD

For the umpteenth time, this comic shows that it has a much better idea of how to deal with Shadow than Sonic Team themselves. Just because Shadow takes things seriously doesn't mean that the world has to take him seriously; I'd appreciate him a lot more in the games if he was the butt of a joke every so often.

The Dragon Kingdom is Mobius' China, I'm talking more the 'Stans. Just the way the city was stacked reminded me of a village in the Middle East or Afghanistan, on the hills. The city also included a lot of spires. Sandblast City was located east of Mercia, which is the right spot. And just as a side point, Oil Ocean's music is clearly a mock-Arabic tune.

I just noticed Cheese on the front of the bike! Oh man. Look at his pose with the eyebrow and arms crossed. He wears a bow tie! LOLOLOL~

Edited by Dabnikz

I am calling it now. Since this story arch has to do with Sol Emeralds Shadow has ended up in a parallel universe which is a soft poking fun at Shadow the Hedgehog except starring Cream the Rabbit in place of Shadow and poking fun of the utter ridiculousness of the game. They still haven't done a Shadow the Hedgehog arch yet.

Or I can dream. D'=

Oh so they are revealing the traitor already? :(

I was hoping they would drag it out and keep us in suspense.

Lol at the SU cover, though isn't it a bit early to start having parodies of Cream's personality? Seeing as we only meet her in the comics maybe two issues prior to this one there isn't much time for character development and therefore less of an impact in the comedy sense to see a childish cutesy character made to look like a badass.

I like that they are using the ASR Shadow bike, do I hear Jazwares toy and comic tie in!