Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

What in the name of God is a loli?

In otaku terminology, "loli" (short for lolita) refers to cute little girls. Not to be confused with lolita fashion, which is totally stupid. Grown women dressing up as little girls? Do not want.

The moar you know~

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Requested by Immortheus, here are a couple of shots of a new character that made her debut appearance in the newest issue:

Mighty's Sister, Matilda the Armadillo!

HNI_0074.jpg

HNI_0075.jpg

Enjoy!

Her is design is pretty cool. Even though she does look like Loli material, her character looks like it shows promise.

Grown women dressing up as little girls? Do not want.

Hahaha, we share the same thoughts. I want women to feel comfortable with the way they dress, but I don't want them looking like little girls. It's disturbing.

Edited by Arioch

I am not part of the shipping fandom or do I care about such trivial things, but I've grown to hate Sally. The more I read, the more I hope that squirrel becomes road kill. She is just...so boring. I mean nobody seems to throw her off or even put her down. She is snark proof(which pisses me off) and she seems so high and mighty for no god damn reason and her current relationship with anything always seems to be the focus of things and takes away from the action. Instead of having an arc with more popular characters, pages are wasted on some romantic sub-plot that never lasts while she just sends Sonic off on missions. I'm the princess blah blah blah. Is there something wrong with me or am I not the only one?

• Thumbs Up 1

But Mighty's sister just looks like a Sonic recolour guuuuyz >~< [/sarcasm at Mighty revival topic's expense]

She's pretty damn original for a character based around Mighty's general looks actually. I like how she seems half-bored picking up that huge ass crate.

Also I need to pick back up on these, they were just getting good when I stopped reading them because I was at the last issue.

Shortened form of the word lolita I assume; a kind of cutesie fashion style coined in Japan.

But Mighty's sister just looks like a Sonic recolour guuuuyz >~< [/sarcasm at Mighty revival topic's expense]

She's pretty damn original for a character based around Mighty's general looks actually. I like how she seems half-bored picking up that huge ass crate.

Yeah, I'm with Galaxy Man on this The-Master-Board. Mechanical arms, and a whole different attitude, it would take a bit more than just rehashing a Sonic model if you wanted to make someone like her in a video game.

Although, with this look on her, it may very well be a good template to use some major aspects of her design and traits and form them for a new basis for Mighty to use should Sonic Team actually decide to brink back the character.

However, that would also be the very problem that runs straight into the brick wall the folks against Mighty's revival were warning about in every debate: He would be a completely different Mighty, and an even more drastic one to boot compared to the other three members of the Chaotix in Heroes. Even more so considering the original was a pacifist personality-wise whereas Mighty's sister in those picks is a villian who doesn't look like she would care about the kind of collateral damage she could cause. Of couse that's just from a first impression of her from me.

I am not part of the shipping fandom or do I care about such trivial things, but I've grown to hate Sally. The more I read, the more I hope that squirrel becomes road kill. She is just...so boring.

Is there something wrong with me or am I not the only one?

Well road-kill seems a bit extreme, but you're not the only one. There are even those who've been coming around on the previous message board pre-server wipe that kept mouthing on about there being 50% of the fanbase hating her, despite not showing the statistics very well or acknowledging how far this series stretches outside the internet, and I sincerely hope you avoid becoming one of those kind of people.

I personally like her, but not more than a lot of other characters. Then again, there isn't a single character in the comics that I hate (not even Big!).

But yeah, it does appear as tho the writers are portraying her a little too perfectly, as even some of her major flaws are dwarfed by her non-flaws...oh well.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Sally herself isn't irritating (at least, not since I last remember her), except how there's so much romantic drama revolving around her. I actually laughed out loud when I glanced at some of the newer issues and saw her hooking up with Monkey Kahn, I mean what the fuck?

I remember hating Geoffrey St. John a lot from his introduction to Endgame. That guy was the very definition of a Mary Sue, seriously. And his grudge against Sonic wasn't even ever explained - he even tries to kill him in cold-blood in Endgame. At least that gave Antoine the opportunity to step in and do something really awesome for once by decking him in the face.

Sally herself isn't irritating, it's just how there's so much romantic drama revolving around here that grates me. I actually laughed out loud when I glanced at some of the newer issues and saw her hooking up with Monkey Kahn, I mean what the fuck?

I actually really liked that. It was nice to see her not pining over Sonic for once. It pulled the whole Sonic/Sally thing from the limelight for a while and let them both develop individually as characters for a bit. Of course, people complained and didn't like that the status quo was being shaken up, so the writers had to amend it and kill it off, making Sally look like a pining flake yet again. Wah.

Sally is awesome, and the Acorn family is too pivotal to let go at this point. I'd resent it if they tried to write them off. I didn't really get sally for a while at the start of the comic years ago, but she's been well defined. She's a good leader, and pretty much a symbol of what they fight for. I also enjoy her royalty/responsibility hang ups.

I actually really liked that. It was nice to see her not pining over Sonic for once. It pulled the whole Sonic/Sally thing from the limelight for a while and let them both develop individually as characters for a bit. Of course, people complained and didn't like that the status quo was being shaken up, so the writers had to amend it and kill it off, making Sally look like a pining flake yet again. Wah.

I honestly do not like the status quo either. Sonic and Sally should not be the end all, be all relationship like Peter Parker and Mary Jane or Zero and Ciel/Iris. It shouldn't have a base and it shouldn't really be that important. If 25 years later is truly retconned, and I hope to god that it is, Sonic and Sally really don't have to be with eachother or with anybody at all. I mean honestly, why should we care about just their romantic life? The only relevent couples in this universe is Scourge/Fiona and Antoine/Bunny.

Sally is awesome, and the Acorn family is too pivotal to let go at this point. I'd resent it if they tried to write them off. I didn't really get sally for a while at the start of the comic years ago, but she's been well defined. She's a good leader, and pretty much a symbol of what they fight for. I also enjoy her royalty/responsibility hang ups.

How is Sally a good leader? She has the universe's example of a physical god in her command, good allies with Knuckles who has probably the most powerful team in terms of combat, and is on good terms with the the Federation who controls Shadow and Team Dark. It's more her team and assets than her supposed leadership abilities. Sure, she does assign missions, but thats about it. The missions she assigns aren't too tactical either. She sent Sonic, a guy who can't swim and is a bouyant as a boulder, to the arctic to fight Killer Whales. Include the fact that she constantly underestimates Tails for no real reason, it just shows that she isn't the best commander.

@CSS, I am certainly not those fans, but I do not enjoy her romantic tristes. I agree with Sean and Flyboy Fox that if it weren't for that, I wouldn't mind her.

How is Sally a good leader? She has the universe's example of a physical god in her command, good allies with Knuckles who has probably the most powerful team in terms of combat, and is on good terms with the the Federation who controls Shadow and Team Dark. It's more her team and assets than her supposed leadership abilities.

That's a two way stream though. While she does seem to be playing chess with more than a few extra queens, she also has to deal with the downsides that come with it. Knuckles and Sonic are both far from stable. Between their ego's, family issues and general inability to go 5 seconds without the universe throwing something ridiculous in their direction, The two of them almost make as much trouble as they solve. She even keeps an eye on the royal council in her downtime. She does as good a job as a leader as anyone could. Shoot, look how the world fell apart around Anti-Tails if you want an example of what goes wrong when you cant control your ace-in-the-hole.

Actually turbojet, by way of Sega mandate, the status quo is Sonic X nobody. Sally's officially as hopeless as Amy at this point.

If you ask me, the only pairing that should exist is Antoine/Bunnie. Not because I support the couple (or any couple for that matter!), but because I think it's hilarious that the two have been together since practically the beginning of the comic's history, especially how much of a loser Antoine is played up to be (even though he needs to be more badass, without stepping into Anti-Twan territory - SUCH AS THAT ONE BACK STORY WHERE ANTOINE WENT METAL GEAR ON ROBOTNIK'S BASE).

Sally's team helps, but she organized them to start with. And isn't that what a leader does, field her team? I don't think any of Acorn's soldiers are up to leading the people, Sonic especially. She's not just a leader of the team, she's also the former leader of Knothole. Her contrast to Elias' leadership was supposed to make that clear.

Her relationship to the Sword of Acorns also suggests something more to her potential as Queen or whatever. I liked that she was the only one who could use that thing.

SUCH AS THAT ONE BACK STORY WHERE ANTOINE WENT METAL GEAR ON ROBOTNIK'S BASE.

I remember. There was the one where he went into the sewers to find what was on his father's map. Classic story! I don't even remember the issue.

Hey you guys, are we forgetting Knuckles and Julie-Su. They've been together since the Knuckles series. They don't get enough moments together anymore. Do it Ian Flynn.

Edited by Dabnikz

Wait, I was trying to say I didn't like that back story. I really could not take Antoine seriously in it, and I was even pissed with what Archie did with him after Sonic returned from space. Thankfully, he didn't turn out to be himself after all...

But he did it for his fathair. I think all they did really was give him a girlfriend wife and teach him how to use that sword. I think his current fighting streak is appropriate, from some combination of what happened to his dad, and needing to fight alongside Bunnie. And being on anti-Mobius.

Edited by Dabnikz

Sure, she does assign missions, but thats about it.

Actually, I should add that she can be quite tricky and somewhat combat worthy.

She kneed Nack between the legs when she was kidnapped by him and his gang and was somewhat capable of at least shooting a gun.

We also shouldn't all forget about when she punched Fiona for trying to tempt Tails in helping her. :P

Of course, those are just minor things...

Changing the subject, it's interesting to know that Mobius seems to be in a more heighten sense of a civil war (for lack of a better word) among it's inhabitants, with some of the Mobians joining Eggman of their free will or because of rejection because of their former Robian lives. It's interesting to note how long it's been since we've heard the word "Roboticized" even before they replaced it with "Legionized". Eggman's got an even much stronger grip of things than he once did, as he doesn't have to rely fully on robots than he can the regular population.

Since they started shipping internationally, I've been considering this comic, just because I have such fond memories of Sonic the Comic (Fleetway) from when I was a kid. I never started reading this one properly because yeeears ago I got a few issues off of amazon and didn't like them at all (one had all this silly 'play along with Sonic on your Mega Drive!' stuff, and the other was kinda melodramatic, neither were exciting or well written), but it would appear things have changed a lot over the years in this series, the recent 'free comic book day' comic they put out I really enjoyed...

So what can you guys tell me about this series? Cause if I opt in for this, well, I'm stuck with it for a whole year, lol.

That's a two way stream though. While she does seem to be playing chess with more than a few extra queens, she also has to deal with the downsides that come with it. Knuckles and Sonic are both far from stable. Between their ego's, family issues and general inability to go 5 seconds without the universe throwing something ridiculous in their direction, The two of them almost make as much trouble as they solve. She even keeps an eye on the royal council in her downtime. She does as good a job as a leader as anyone could. Shoot, look how the world fell apart around Anti-Tails if you want an example of what goes wrong when you cant control your ace-in-the-hole.

Sonic and Knuckles aren't her responsibilty and I doubt that Sonic will ever be allowed to go off the deepend like Scourge since Scourge is pretty much the "if" antithesis of Sonic. Knuckles is tamed by Julie-Su(another character that I don't particularily care for, but oh well) and the Chaotix. Knuckles, in this universe, is pretty tamed when he isn't being controlled or deluded into attacking others which is rare, but thats beyond any circumstance that Sally could mediate. If she is just a psychologist, that kind of makes her seem even more pointless which wasn't my problem with her to begin with.

@Aquaslash, I have heard that, but I am not sure if it matters anymore. The writer keeps bringing up the fact that Sonic and Sally nearly got married and they are still somewhat interested in eachother. In fact, that whole Dragon King arc on Sonic universe was based on the triangle. I remember a comic being about Sally trying to cope with her feeling with Sonic after being asked out by Khan. Why waste pages on this shit if it is surely as dead as disco?

@Dabnikz, A good military leader uses all her assets to the best of their ability and strength especially with the assets she has. You do not just send your best soldier into his biggest weakness. You do not send your two most powerful teammates into the hands of your other allies that do not like those soldiers in particular(I am talking about how Sonic and Bunny get sent on the most recent mission under these circumstances). Yes, Sally's leadership was much needed when they were just a rag tag group with no organization. But now, they are pretty much a coalition of extremely talented badasses. Sally just barks commands without thinking of the situations she sends them in. Who should lead the Freedom Fighters if it isn't Sally? Maybe that should be an arc because there are many candidates besides the most obvious "no, he can't be leader" Sonic.

Again, I agree with Sean. I know comic books put heavy emphasis on the protagonist's romantic life*cough*OneMoreDay*cough*,but since Sega stated that this idea is as dead as Lindsey Lohan's acting career, why does Flyn keep lingering sentiments about it?

Anyways, Eggman is as awesome as always. I just wish someone would make a better secondary villain. God, Iron Queen was horrible.

Again, I agree with Sean. I know comic books put heavy emphasis on the protagonist's romantic life *cough*OneMoreDay*cough*,but since Sega stated that this idea is as dead as Lindsey Lohan's acting career, why does Flyn keep lingering sentiments about it?

Because to just ignore a sub-plot as long running as this one doesn't make any sense. That's the kind of thing you have to deal with carefully. I believe he's said it's not to be official. That doesn't mean they can't associate with each other or treat the two as implied interests. The 25YL timeline suggests it, why not in the main canon?

Edited by Dabnikz

Sonic and Knuckles aren't her responsibilty and I doubt that Sonic will ever be allowed to go off the deepend like Scourge since Scourge is pretty much the "if" antithesis of Sonic.

Scourge sure seemed to think that it wouldn't take alot to make Sonic just like him (I believe he said it would take "one bad day"). Sonic was also fairly confident that Scourge could be more like himself with a little effort, which makes me see that the gap between the two is not nearly as large as one would imagine. Sonic may not have truly gone off the deep-end just yet, but he is prone to flat out bursts of instability that effect both his decision making and relationships. With an ego like his, that is a dangerous combo, and Sally actually seems to be one of the few people that understands that.

Giving him "busy-work" in a sense, keeps him focused on helping people, rather than focusing all his energy into a single rash movement. In other words, much of the time, Sally seems to take Sonic's brain out of the equation. She rarely lets him sit on his hands when any oppertunity presents himself and that is an intangible that many of the other characters in the cast have failed to materialize (Even Tails no less).

Sally is responsible for Sonic's actions as he is basically the trump card against Eggman. She literally cant allow for him to stray too far.

Because to just ignore a sub-plot as long running as this one doesn't make any sense. That's the kind of thing you have to deal with carefully. I believe he's said it's not to be official. That doesn't mean they can't associate with each other or treat the two as implied interests. The 25YL timeline suggests it, why not in the main canon?

It's been years since that declaration of Sonic being forever a bachelor so they have had plenty of time to kill it. They refuse to. 25Yl has already been stated to be just a side story so anything it "suggests" shouldn't matter. Association is completely different than crushing or holding on. Implying something is not what they are doing. A writer can imply that they are together without all the "I am so confused, Bunnie," crap that Sally keeps bringing up as soon as anyone has interest in her.

@SDT, yes, I understand that. Sally does it without actually thinking at all. Sending Sonic to do any mission is stupid. As for Scourge, I kind of meant that. It's really a flip of a coin with one universe always getting heads while the other getting Tails. If Sonic ever goes nuts, Sally is not the only person that can calm him down or bring him down. So, again, I don't believe Sally is the only reason Sonic gives a damn.

I'm sorry if I am bogging down this thread with my bitching. Its just one of those things that annoys me.

I don't think that's true about 25YL. The timeline reflects what's going on in the comic as of currently. That's why Antoine and Bunnie have kids there. I think it's been said that the next future arc will be changed somehow, according to the present timeline. Anyways, Sonic and Sally have always been an item. Ian chooses to be more up front with it.

@SDT, yes, I understand that. Sally does it without actually thinking at all. Sending Sonic to do any mission is stupid. As for Scourge, I kind of meant that. It's really a flip of a coin with one universe always getting heads while the other getting Tails. If Sonic ever goes nuts, Sally is not the only person that can calm him down or bring him down. So, again, I don't believe Sally is the only reason Sonic gives a damn.

That's all fine and well then. My point was simply that even if Sally isn't some Uber-Foil to Sonic, she is smart enough as a leader to send him off to a water based local when she see's him making important life decisions with the proverbial coin flip. Scourge pretty much proves that a Sonic with a heavy mind and time on his hands is a dangerous thing, so Sally isn't above telling Sonic to pack his swimming trunks to keep him from striking up a brainstorm (which is 99.9% likely to spawn something ugly one way or another).

• Sonic News

I honestly do not like the status quo either. Sonic and Sally should not be the end all, be all relationship like Peter Parker and Mary Jane or Zero and Ciel/Iris. It shouldn't have a base and it shouldn't really be that important. If 25 years later is truly retconned, and I hope to god that it is, Sonic and Sally really don't have to be with eachother or with anybody at all. I mean honestly, why should we care about just their romantic life? The only relevent couples in this universe is Scourge/Fiona and Antoine/Bunny.

25 Years Later was never canon to begin with. It's an alternate timeline that has no direct link to what's going on in the current comic. The only reason why it's been revisited is because the initial storylines proved popular. So no, nothing in 25YL is fated to be, or ever was for that matter. Penders wanted it to be canon, but he was overridden by the editorial. So there's no need for it to be retconned.

Again, I agree with Sean. I know comic books put heavy emphasis on the protagonist's romantic life*cough*OneMoreDay*cough*,but since Sega stated that this idea is as dead as Lindsey Lohan's acting career, why does Flyn keep lingering sentiments about it?

I don't know where you keep getting these "romance" complaints. The Monkey Khan/Sally/Sonic romance angle was the first time the comic had a signifigant romantic sub plot since Ian took over in 2006. It has by NO means been a constant occurrence in the book, let alone a defining trait in Sally's character since the mandate went into effect back around when Ian took over.

And also, this romantic sub plot focused on Sally, who isn't under any SEGA mandate. She tried it with Khan. She liked where it was going. But she wanted to try it with Sonic one more time. Will she eventually give up? Who knows? All I know is the romantic sub plot started in 202 and was put to bed in 212 and hasn't popped up since, so you can stop complaining. Either way, Sally's relationship is something the writers are free to explore, and obviously Sonic is going to be a part of that. To completely ignore the old Sonic/Sally romance plotline when dealing with a new Sally centric romance plotline would simply be bad writing. It makes since that Sally would have some lingering thoughts, because she and Sonic have been real close since childhood. Just because a company that doesn't exist in the plot mandates they can never be together (which I wholeheartedly approve), doesn't mean it can be, or needs to be, ignored in the context of the plot.

She sent Sonic, a guy who can't swim and is a bouyant as a boulder, to the arctic to fight Killer Whales.

Actually, she sent Sonic to the Arctic to aid the local freedom fighter group. In case you didn't notice there was both a sea AND a land battle going on there. If not for Sonic, the land team would have been a heck of a lot weaker. Given their other heavy hitter, Bunnie, was away at the time, it makes perfect sense.