Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I only skimmed it, and it got my hopes up just from reading "returning" and "July". Oh, boy. Have to settle back into my lack of expectations again.

10 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

This is not a funny April Fool's joke, whoever did this. Giving people false hope is horrendously mean.

Edit: After reading the whole thing, the Ken Penders part is kind of funny.

Z7HeRxU.png

Come on, dude. Lighten up a little.

It's to be expected today. And even if one forgot today's date, this is about as believable as Big being added into Mania. (Which I would totally buy, btw)

• Thumbs Up 2

See my previous post. I get the humor now, but unless you come into this with today's date in mind, there's no way you can even start reading that post without getting your hopes up. I'm not mad at anyone personally, but I am a little upset now.

Edit: Getting over it, and now the idea of a Archie Sonic: Rebirth a la DC has me intrigued. I'm not sure I'd want it to happen, but it's an interesting idea, and it deserves some creative points. I wouldn't mind seeing Scourge or Mammoth Mogul again, but Ken Penders' hypothetical return whould have to be under heavy stipulations after the way he's fouled up the nest.

Edit 2: Maybe we could unnecessarily add the Watchmen to the continuity while we're at it. That seems to be what you do for this sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

And somehow I managed to remember the troll tweets Penders made about Archie and him trying to see whether or not he would write a story for them around 300th issue.

Wow. Was he actually joking about this at some point?

I'm honestly sorry if anyone did get their hopes up there. I really didn't think anyone would actually fall for it.

Also the "source" link is inside the quote.

• Thumbs Up 4

@HywelAtTheMoon I'm not sure even Ken Penders could deny that that one's pretty funny.

How about:

Sonic Team to release a new Sonic game not featuring Classic sonic.

:P

• Thumbs Up 2

True! It gets funnier every year! I may be new posting, but I've been lurking around here for years... 

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if Penders' whole deal is not so much that he wants to release a graphic novel so much as he has to pretend he wants to actually use the intellectual property he's claiming for legal purposes.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Borvoc said:

Wow. Was he actually joking about this at some point?

I'm not that certain about joking but my wordchoice is grounded to the fact his posts that end up getting in the Lara-Su thread are pretty trollish for my liking. :rolleyes: That said tweet chain was more of a teasing/"hyping"-in-vain than joking...

Actually now that I'm on it, why don't we all go there talking about Penders in that thread dedicated for his project? Since it seems to be mostly consisting of troll-tweeting than scriptwriting anyway, at least as far as I can see. You could bring some change by these April Fools you throw around here. ^_^

Actually I'd like to inform that

They'll stop using '06 loading screen times as a joke in Sonic's Youtube channel, as we all can see in here. (At the very end of it.)

...not. Just look how hilarious I am.

...not. <_<

• Thumbs Up 1

That was as far as I wanted to take the joke anyway. Let's get back to the main topic now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What are some of your favorite and worst Sonic Archie Comic Book Covers?

Favourites: SU94 Variant or the Christmas variant with Tails' nervous grin to the camera. 

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Worst: any of the Sanford Green ones.

As bad as the Sanford's covers are, I think even his can't come close to a certain Spaz/Penders mashup that we've all blocked from our memories.

Behold, Sonic Super Special #14:

SzOCVT3.png

• Thumbs Up 3

This one, this is the worst

I mean.... I don't know what the hell's Sally's problem. But it both makes me laugh and also gives me nightmares....

why.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Favourite covers? I think that generally Spaz makes the best covers. I mean, just look at these video game adaption covers:

58e0597eec5b4_Sonic25Cover.thumb.jpg.1548c783f0d6003c961b5f32fdc941dc.jpg

This is the iconic #25 cover, which I think really marks a point when the quality for the art in the comic began to noticably improve.

58e0598dde4ee_Sonic98Cover.thumb.jpg.fa409a8b4882ec5441c7ee159942f9d0.jpg

I've also included the cover for #98, just because it's so beautiful. This cover was made by Spaz and Harvey Mercadoocasio, with apparently some 'computer paint' by Josh D Ray. A lot of work went into this cover and it shows, this is easily one of the most vibrant covers on any issue of Sonic the Hedgehog or Sonic Universe. It's a pity that we never got a full Archie adaption of Sonic Adventure 2, then we could have gotten more amazing covers like this.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Kintor said:

58e0598dde4ee_Sonic98Cover.thumb.jpg.fa409a8b4882ec5441c7ee159942f9d0.jpg

The only thing that bothers me about this cover is...where is Sonic's other leg?

If it is actually behind him, how is he riding the snowboard?

I wouldn't exactly call that the best (honestly I think they look quite dated, especially the second one) but to each their own right? Also something weird about the Sonic CD one is that it has Classic Eggman in the background as a statue yet the comic used the SatAM design back then. 

2 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

This one, this is the worst

I mean.... I don't know what the hell's Sally's problem. But it both makes me laugh and also gives me nightmares....

why.jpg

They were trying to make her look "sexy" it seems, it did not work out. There is this red tint on her and Antione's eyes that make them look faded out of their damn mind

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

The only thing that bothers me about this cover is...where is Sonic's other leg?

If it is actually behind him, how is he riding the snowboard?

He's not so much riding the 'snowboard' as posing for a dramatic action shot mid-air. Looking cool vs Occupational Health and Safety are sometimes mutually exclusive concepts.

41 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I wouldn't exactly call that the best (honestly I think they look quite dated, especially the second one) but to each their own right? Also something weird about the Sonic CD one is that it has Classic Eggman in the background as a statue yet the comic used the SatAM design back then. 

Eh... as I said in my last I was going more for iconic rather then dated. I wanted to show some of the greatest cover art from the pre-Flynn era. Both Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure 2 are still readily accessible games today, their comic adaptions seemed the best bet.

If you want to talk about dated then I'd suggest #114's cover:

58e0656bdaee1_Sonic114Cover.thumb.jpg.9f15bd0ddf0765e0e0943ed97d189f6b.jpg

Look's a little familiar? That's because it's a homage to a certain poster for a movie also released in 2002:

58e0657932e0a_StarWarsAttackoftheClonesMoviePoster.jpg.6e9f1d9d03bad88d23391d46cdcdae97.jpg

Overall I think that #114 works pretty well as a homage. A bit tongue-in-cheek while still being quite eye catching. Plus, I do like the detailing on Dimitri's cybernetic body; you can even see his organic brain underneath the glass.

• Thumbs Up 2