Jump to content
Toby

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

The only thing that bothers me about this cover is...where is Sonic's other leg?

If it is actually behind him, how is he riding the snowboard?

He's not so much riding the 'snowboard' as posing for a dramatic action shot mid-air. Looking cool vs Occupational Health and Safety are sometimes mutually exclusive concepts.

41 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I wouldn't exactly call that the best (honestly I think they look quite dated, especially the second one) but to each their own right? Also something weird about the Sonic CD one is that it has Classic Eggman in the background as a statue yet the comic used the SatAM design back then. 

Eh... as I said in my last I was going more for iconic rather then dated. I wanted to show some of the greatest cover art from the pre-Flynn era. Both Sonic CD and Sonic Adventure 2 are still readily accessible games today, their comic adaptions seemed the best bet.

If you want to talk about dated then I'd suggest #114's cover:

58e0656bdaee1_Sonic114Cover.thumb.jpg.9f15bd0ddf0765e0e0943ed97d189f6b.jpg

Look's a little familiar? That's because it's a homage to a certain poster for a movie also released in 2002:

58e0657932e0a_StarWarsAttackoftheClonesMoviePoster.jpg.6e9f1d9d03bad88d23391d46cdcdae97.jpg

Overall I think that #114 works pretty well as a homage. A bit tongue-in-cheek while still being quite eye catching. Plus, I do like the detailing on Dimitri's cybernetic body; you can even see his organic brain underneath the glass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

46 minutes ago, Kintor said:

Overall I think that #114 works pretty well as a homage. A bit tongue-in-cheek while still being quite eye catching. Plus, I do like the detailing on Dimitri's cybernetic body; you can even see his organic brain underneath the glass.

I can see that but I honestly don't like that artstyle. It's drawn by the same person of whom I picked my worst cover from right? With the "troubled" looking Sally? Also what is with that person and trying to draw Sally all sexy-like and special or something. Their style really doesn't do her or anyone any favors. And everyone's proportions are majorly fucked. The Sega characters look really weird compared to the Archie ones, hell not even all the Archie characters have consistant proportions, especially the females. Also, way to sideline Amy jeez. As if Sally's flputering magic hair wasn't enough and damn do I hate when they drew the Anthros with such detailed hair. At that point it's just human hair, it looks so weird in these cartoony furred creatures...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I can see that but I honestly don't like that artstyle. It's drawn by the same person of whom I picked my worst cover from right? With the "troubled" looking Sally?

The Star Wars homage was done by Patrick Spaziante and Nelson Ribeiro.  The one you posted was done by Sanford Greene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

The Star Wars homage was done by Patrick Spaziante and Nelson Ribeiro.  The one you posted was done by Sanford Greene.

Gotcha. I thought they were similar because of the clash of Sonic's body proportions with Sally's. And the shading and coloring look kinda similar too. But taking a closer look I can see the differences. I still think both of them look bad though. I have a big gripe with all this style clashing old Archie had. Why couldn't they just draw the Archie characters with the same proportions as the Sega ones like they did in the early issues? I think it was DeCesar/Gallagher run? Or Gallagher/Pender? Well either way, the comic was better back then, when it didn't take itself too serious, and the artwork was consistent. When Pender took over the writing and the art direction went to some really weird places. Flynn and Yardley definitely improved things for the better...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there was a writer on Comics Alliance who was writing a Sonic comic retrospective of sorts. He started with #230 I think, and was on the first part of Worlds Unite. I was wondering what he'd do once he reached Genesis of a Hero because he was rapidly approaching that point...but two days ago it was announced that Comics Alliance was being shut down. Oops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

This one, this is the worst

I mean.... I don't know what the hell's Sally's problem. But it both makes me laugh and also gives me nightmares....

why.jpg

Oh God, why'd you have to remind me of that issue's cover?! I thought I'd purged that from my memory years ago.

She'd make Alyx Vance jealous with those bedroom eyes.

xDYsUc.gif

Shoutouts to probably the worst cover from an artistic perspective, not to mention some of the worst art the comic ever had outside of I believe issue no. 113.latest?cb=20080607000343

This was actually the first Sonic comic I was ever introduced to and its not really representative of what the issue's about since it would be more accurate if it looked like this:

pure-black-wallpaper-159.jpg?itok=F7s-qz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

This was actually the first Sonic comic I was ever introduced to and its not really representative of what the issue's about since it would be more accurate if it looked like this:

 

Are you refering to that infamous issue where like three or so panels are just a black background with speech bubbles? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RictalRose0 said:

Are you refering to that infamous issue where like three or so panels are just a black background with speech bubbles? 

Yes I am.

 dr_wierd.jpg

Behold!

tumblr_inline_ojtuflAiRL1riafjl_540.png

There's was also a Sin City inspired story at the end. At least I think it was Sin City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was also one where there was like a white background with snowflakes. Jesus that was lazy, they didn't even bother with drawing eyes or anything. Just a white background with speech bubbles lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

There was also one where there was like a white background with snowflakes. Jesus that was lazy, they didn't even bother with drawing eyes or anything. Just a white background with speech bubbles lmao

Dude like half the comic was just black pages with either Sonic's eyes, text bubbles, and occasionally snow. There's definitely a reason why the years after Endgame when Penders and Bollers took over the comic are referred to as the worst period the comic went through and it wasn't just the writing.

Strangely though, it still holds a lot of nostalgia for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maxtiis said:

Dude like half the comic was just black pages with either Sonic's eyes, text bubbles, and occasionally snow. There's definitely a reason why the years after Endgame when Penders and Bollers took over the comic are referred to as the worst period the comic went through and it wasn't just the writing.

Strangely though, it still holds a lot of nostalgia for me.

 

13 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

There was also one where there was like a white background with snowflakes. Jesus that was lazy, they didn't even bother with drawing eyes or anything. Just a white background with speech bubbles lmao

You guys are talking about the same comic. Super Special 15  was the issue, and the story is called Naugus Games, and it's considered one of the worst in the comic's history due to how lazy it was as a whole. It's also why it got remade in the FCBD 2011 issue as The Rematch, having been turned into an actual decent Sonic VS Naugus story thanks to Steven Butler's artwork, and Ian's writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

 

You guys are talking about the same comic. Super Special 15  was the issue, and the story is called Naugus Games, and it's considered one of the worst in the comic's history due to how lazy it was as a whole. It's also why it got remade in the FCBD 2011 issue as The Rematch, having been turned into an actual decent Sonic VS Naugus story thanks to Steven Butler's artwork, and Ian's writing.

I know he was referring to Super Special 15 I was just adding on to what he mentioned. I need to see The Rematch for myself so thanks for bringing that to my attention, I didn't know it existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

I know he was referring to Super Special 15 I was just adding on to what he mentioned. I need to see The Rematch for myself so thanks for bringing that to my attention, I didn't know it existed.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I did a review of both Super Special 15 and The Rematch for comparative purposes. Just like that one time I helped another member of this board in an earlier page, here's the review itself if you're curious: 

 

Edited by Megabeatman
Wrong Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

This one, this is the worst

I mean.... I don't know what the hell's Sally's problem. But it both makes me laugh and also gives me nightmares....

why.jpg

Uhh... This cover.

I think for me the worst part of the worst is the way Sally's lips are drawn. The fact they're right in where my eyes get first fixed doesn't help at all either.

... And what's wrong with Tails' face? That mouth's just a bit too awkward for my liking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.