Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

20 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Oh, you just reminded me of the bunch of people kept on an island for a year on the basis of it being for a live TV show, only for the TV show to be cancelled very early into that year and the production company not telling them, effectively keeping them stranded without proper knowledge of the situation. Yeah, companies can do some really scummy (and crazy) shit. 

whoah whoah whoah whoah

What the hell is this? You don't just drop information on a gigantic dumpster fire, and not tell me the location of said dumpster fire? I need links, and articles about this. Can you hook a dude up

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

whoah whoah whoah whoah

What the hell is this? You don't just drop information on a gigantic dumpster fire, and not tell me the location of said dumpster fire? I need links, and articles about this. Can you hook a dude up

This would be Eden; it does indeed appear according to media reports that the contestants who made it through the full year of isolation had not been aware that nobody had been broadcasting their activities for months.

This may be nothing, and I don't wish to get anyone's hopes up, but Ian Flynn's latest Tweet sort of implies that he's still writing Sonic. I will of course wait until the definitive word from Archie themselves. 

@FFWF I can only imagine they were all still behaving in regular self-focused, silly, reality-TV fashion (that way that people act when they know they're on camera) until they finally found out they weren't on TV and could act like normal human beings again. It's kind of horrible that they were all stranded without being told anything, but the idea kind of amuses me.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, FFWF said:

This would be Eden; it does indeed appear according to media reports that the contestants who made it through the full year of isolation had not been aware that nobody had been broadcasting their activities for months.

6d72828ef8401a4028248b22b915075f.gif

This shit sounds like the plot of an episode of a 30 rock esque about a network failing to do a reality show and not real life

5 hours ago, doctorbenMD said:

Bleeding Cool, the tabloid of comics everybody.

Pretty much but Bleeding Cool is still useful. It's a tabloid that is perhaps the most widely web comic book news site on the internet. So comic publishers, even Marvel and DC, take notice when Bleeding Cool starts raising a stink about something. Even Archie had to respond when Bleeding Cool started asking questions, as the update to their article shows. If Bleeding Cool keeps up the pressure we might finally get some answers out of Archie, even if that answer is just an official cancelation notice.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 hours ago, Kintor said:

Pretty much but Bleeding Cool is still useful. It's a tabloid that is perhaps the most widely web comic book news site on the internet. So comic publishers, even Marvel and DC, take notice when Bleeding Cool starts raising a stink about something. Even Archie had to respond when Bleeding Cool started asking questions, as the update to their article shows. If Bleeding Cool keeps up the pressure we might finally get some answers out of Archie, even if that answer is just an official cancelation notice.

Archie likely took notice considering the "juicy" quote I provided in my post--that Goldwater wanted to eventually "get away from Sonic because they 'aren't really Archie.'" Now that they've said *something,* they can continue to get by without saying anything else until they want to.

Fun fact: Lisa at subscriptions? Her last name is *also* Goldwater. They really like keepin' it in the family over there. 

• Thumbs Up 5

29 minutes ago, doctorbenMD said:

Archie likely took notice considering the "juicy" quote I provided in my post--that Goldwater wanted to eventually "get away from Sonic because they 'aren't really Archie.'" Now that they've said *something,* they can continue to get by without saying anything else until they want to.

Fun fact: Lisa at subscriptions? Her last name is *also* Goldwater. They really like keepin' it in the family over there. 

Perhaps you're right about Archie's complacency. With that said, once Bleeding Cool smells blood they'll keep at the story, forcing Archie to make more comments eventually. It's a pity then that Bleeding Cool is so focused on attacking Marvel, which means they might still lose interest in the Archie story.

• Thumbs Up 4

I realized something:

The end of the Archie Sonic comic is not only the end of the DiC characters and the comic's originals (that weren't taken by the original creators), but the beginning of the end for the likes of Nack the Weasel. The more obscure ones likely already have their fates sealed by this. And if VEDJ-F is correct about Sonic Team having creative control over Mania, and not even considering Nack and the like for sequels, then this is truly a time of sadness and loss. 

• Thumbs Up 4

And that caused the guy at TSSZ News to post on his blog, multiple times, that the books were "officially" canceled, sending fans into a tailspin?

Hi. I'm "the guy at TSSZ". It's not a blog. And it's technically not mine. Tristan is still the owner of the site. Besides, everything sends Sonic fans into a tailspin. It doesn't have to be from TSSZ or any media site.

Then, two weeks ago, someone claimed that they spoke to the customer service rep at Archie and that there would be an "email going out" to all subscribers? Didn't that email never get sent out?

It wasn't, but I guess you missed the article where we learned why. http://www.tssznews.com/2017/05/03/archie-update-email-to-subscribers-still-in-the-works-no-timetable-given/

Why is it that no comic book or video game news sites are reporting on these rumors and only TSSZ?

Firstly, comic book and video game news sites don't care for the Sonic comics. And even when they try to, they usually report on them only for upcoming issues that are announced, i.e. solicitations. Nothing else. Secondly, PreviewsWorld is an official comic book site. So they have been involved with this. But you use "official" with quotation marks, so clearly they're just "posting rumors" too. Which leads me to this paragraph:

On 5/8/2017 at 6:46 PM, ChromeDome93 said:

Didn't we play this game a month ago when the PREVIEWS WORLD listings got marked as canceled? Keep in mind, that was a formality as the books had all gone past their originally solicited shipping dates, and if SEGA pulled the license they would no longer be orderable by comic shops anyway.

They list them as cancelled. That's all that everyone has said in their articles. Same with my articles. We can't stop fan speculation, which is where a lot of the "it's cancelled" conclusions have been coming from.

Why hasn't anyone from TSSZ reached out to Archie for an official statement and seem intent on only reposting posts from forums?

Because one, it's clear Archie doesn't want to make an official statement. Why would that matter to you anyway? If we did it, you'd just call it a rumor. Because our report would be very similar to the forum posts you feel are just rumors. People can't outright prove they talked to a rep. And in some cases they may not even be able to say they did, if the rep wishes to remain anonymous.

Two, I've written more than just posts from forums. I've quoted Archie writers and SEGA multiple times.

Three, if I'm "only intending to repost posts from forums", why haven't I reported on the latest one? We've had a glitch on the site, sure, but even before I knew we had one, I had no intention on reporting on it. Even on Twitter, I didn't take it as gospel.

Thirdly, you know it's not just TSSZ that has been reporting on the Archie stuff, right? Stadium has done it. SoaH has done it. It's not just us, so there was absolutely no reason to single us out.

Lastly, I think you have a very narrow-minded view of what isn't considered a rumor. I do agree that we shouldn't take every forum post on the matter as gospel, but I also think that someone contacting an Archie rep on the phone or getting an email from Archie is a very reasonable thing that makes sense and shouldn't be automatically taken with a grain of salt just because Archie themselves didn't say anything. Pay attention to what they allege they were told, and see if things don't add up.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yes like everyone goes about the FF's. And I get that. But for me what does make me sad is the possibility of never seeing the Game Characters in the spotlight again because god knows the main games aren't doing that and Boom was a failure. And the way it's being treated in the US just makes me thing it will be over for the TV show too. I want to hope for Forces, I want to. But I just can't take game after game of just Sonic. He's a good character alright but there's so much more to this franchise. And they have squeezed every bit they could have of Sonic already. Please, let the other characters be relevant again. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So basically she was off living her life like her StC counterpart circa Eternity Ring saga.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hey, do you want something not related to the comic's fate for once?

Ian has revealed an idea he had for where Amy was during M:XYL. 

That's pretty good. At least she was safe from all the DRAMA of those arcs and the terrible fankids. 

The Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, of all things, is among the Archie Apps spotlights right now.

• Thumbs Up 9

11 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, of all things, is among the Archie Apps spotlights right now.

oh how the turntables am i right?

11 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

Three, if I'm "only intending to repost posts from forums", why haven't I reported on the latest one? We've had a glitch on the site, sure, but even before I knew we had one, I had no intention on reporting on it. Even on Twitter, I didn't take it as gospel.

Of course, I say this now, before I discovered more information on the matter that gave this even more credibility...

I have the worst luck in the world with posting. lol

• Thumbs Up 5

28 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Sheesh, I know it's probably just automated but that really adds insult to injury.

Still, I have to give credit where it's due that the Encyclopaedia does deserve the attention. For actually managing to forge everything to a coherent timeline and compendium. As I was marathoning through every issue of the comic the Encyclopaedia was actually the last pre-reboot thing I read before jumping into #252.

• Thumbs Up 4

Seeing some interesting things lately.

Tracey Yardley has added some new comic pages to his shop and there is this awesome Sonic Riders page he posted:

But the interesting thing about this is that Mike Pellerito (Archie's President and Editor) retweeted this.  May be nothing, he may just be supporting Tracey, but this is the first time in a LOOOOONG time he has put anything Sonic related on his feed.

Also Ian shared a humorous blog post but he mentioned about writing Sonic like he was was still doing it along with BumbleKast, again might be something or might be nothing:

Ian is also doing a "Best Sonic Universe Story Arch" poll on Twitter if you want to voice your choice.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

...What's an Archie Apps spotlight?

Also, I kind of feel sorry for Ian, Yardley!, and the rest—what with all the fans scrutinizing and re-posting every little thing they say. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SSF1991 said:

Of course, I say this now, before I discovered more information on the matter that gave this even more credibility...

I have the worst luck in the world with posting. lol

What did you discover?

3 minutes ago, Evercross said:

What did you discover?

Replies that I missed in this thread, and tweets about our relayer of information (that I also missed because I'm a dumb).