Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

31 minutes ago, JC_Mike said:

Pardon me for bringing up any theories, but I really hope that this isn't "Sega's Next Big Thing" for Sonic. What I mean is that I hope they don't expect to replace the Archie comics with this because this isn't really going to fulfill the hole in my heart that I cancellation would bring. I would like to hope that Archie and Sega aren't talking about how to move the comic more towards a different path than the one its currently on. Because of all the shock of the news, I've become worried about what this all means. Sadly, I don't think I'll be getting any official reassurance any time soon :(.

If it's any consolation, I highly doubt that Sega thinks that an ongoing comic book can be replaced with character creation in a single video game (or even a series of games). That would be like saying that instead of reading novels you should build a particular Gundam model—they're two very different things.

That being said, I'm curious how Ian would adapt Forces' story into a comic story if given the chance, when one of the key characters is apparently going to be unique to everyone who plays the game. I think the best way to cover the story would be to have several or even a multitude of characters fill that gap in the story for the comics and to have them all look similar to characters that could be created in the Forces character creator. That way you avoid creating a "canon" version of the customizable character in the comic universe and each reader could infer that his or her character was there in the "resistance" crowd somewhere.

I know Ian doesn't like people giving him ideas, for legal reasons, but I believe this idea is vague and execution-oriented enough for it to be impossible for me to "own" it.

Also, I just had another realization that, aside from us being able to create some or all (depending on the final options) of the freedom fighters using the Forces character creator, Sega is basically also creating their own version of the FF in the game universe. It feels like it may end up being a bit harder for game fans to pick on the FF for being non-game characters when basically anything can be a game character now. Add to that the fact that the created characters in Forces even have a similar "resistance" feel to them to what the FF have. I'm starting to wonder if Mr. Izuka actually took inspiration from the comics in coming up with the character creation idea, at least in part.

• Thumbs Up 2

Alternatively, there does seem to be a "default" custom character that's taking up most of the airtime in trailers and concept art, so probably a comic adaptation of Forces would be mandated to use that version.  There might be leeway to swap out accessories or at least stack up a bunch of them in the background.  I agree that splitting the character up into multiple roles in parallel plotlines would be a good idea, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

Alternatively, there does seem to be a "default" custom character that's taking up most of the airtime in trailers and concept art, so probably a comic adaptation of Forces would be mandated to use that version.  There might be leeway to swap out accessories or at least stack up a bunch of them in the background.  I agree that splitting the character up into multiple roles in parallel plotlines would be a good idea, though.

Ah, I can't wait for Default the ...uh....Bird. Who is mostly the same as Sonic, only he uses Wispons and has a Chao Backpack! That backpack alone adds a lot a character to Default that makes him totally not like Sonic.

Spoiler

Because he is vulnerable without it :^)

• Thumbs Up 1

What I want to see in the comics is an adaptation of the Avatar character. Maybe a Mobian who's real appearance is a mystery and can actively switch his/her appearance on the fly. Maybe their real identity is the Avatar, whatever that would mean in the world of Sonic, and perhaps can have an original design unique to the comic as a god-like being, but in his/her "disguises", is known as Avatar the Hedgehog/Bear/Wolf/Rabbit/Cat/Dog.

His name is said to be "Buddy" and he's a red wolf. Well, his name isn't literally buddy but that's what he will be refered as. 

6 hours ago, FFWF said:

I think this was actually a riff on Archie's months of stonewalling on Sonic and refusal to divulge any information on the situation.  "he just relayed what Archie said" = "a bunch of silence".

Correct; I was joking.

As for Archie, I think if they aren't going to put out any more Sonic stuff they at least should reimburse subscribers who assumed when subscribing that they were going to get it for a bit longer.

8 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

As for Archie, I think if they aren't going to put out any more Sonic stuff they at least should reimburse subscribers who assumed when subscribing that they were going to get it for a bit longer.

Archie does not owe this to subscribers, as they tacitly agreed to a possible subscription transfer upon subscribing, but it would be extra nice of them if the worse were to happen.

12 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:
What Classic Sonic voice did you hear when you read Genesis of a Hero and Megadrive?

Something akin to Junichi Kanemaru if he could speak English.

Just now, ZERO_ninja said:

Something akin to Junichi Kanemaru if he could speak English.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I heard Jaleel White. I always hear Jaleel White as Classic Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:

What Classic Sonic voice did you hear when you read Genesis of a Hero and Megadrive?

Like a slightly younger Ryan Drummond.

This reminds me of an old topic I used to like talking about:

If the Sonic comics where fully voice acted, who's voices do you imagine for the already or previously voiced characters and at what points?

Like, say, Sonic had Jaleel White's voice from the beginning until issue 71 when he started sounding like Ryan Drummond, then at some point Jason Griffith took over, and so on.

Not to mention stuff like the SatAM cast: do you still imagine them with their original voices or something else, and if it's the former do you make allowances for VA's that have passed on (i.e. Bunnie)?

So....are the archie comics technically  dead now?  I haven't  been keeping  up with news. Did archie send things to the subscribers saying the book is cancelled?

12 minutes ago, Chavysonicfan said:

So....are the archie comics technically  dead now?  I haven't  been keeping  up with news. Did archie send things to the subscribers saying the book is cancelled?

They've mentioned publicly that they're currently in talks with SEGA.

We're all in limbo, right now.

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

This reminds me of an old topic I used to like talking about:

If the Sonic comics where fully voice acted, who's voices do you imagine for the already or previously voiced characters and at what points?

Like, say, Sonic had Jaleel White's voice from the beginning until issue 71 when he started sounding like Ryan Drummond, then at some point Jason Griffith took over, and so on.

Not to mention stuff like the SatAM cast: do you still imagine them with their original voices or something else, and if it's the former do you make allowances for VA's that have passed on (i.e. Bunnie)?

This is all for post-reboot.

All the Sega characters, I hear in their current voices.

'Twain remains the same voice as SatAM for me.

Rotor would be a deeper voiced Ratchet.

Nicole sounds like Cortana to me. Both AIs, coincidence?

Bunnie, I hear Applejack (doesn't mean I like the show the character is from, it's just a good fit).

Sally, I dunno. A more teenage version of her SatAM voice?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey everyone, been stalking this conversation since this whole Archie confusion started but joined because of this comment above me.

Specifically, I have an unhealthy relationship with Transformers, heard Ratchet mentioned and have to ask...

Which show/film/game series are we talking about? Presumably not TF Animated, I'd guess Jeffrey Combs or Tatasciore but can't really how he sounded in the Sunbow cartoon or the films. I only really remember original Ratchet from the comics and his 80's cartoon death.

Hopefully you are actually talking about Transformers...

Anyway, don't want my first post to be completely off topic (just mostly apparently) I hear a Jaleel-ish voice with Classic Sonic. Something is different about it, can't quite put my finger on it though. More him than whatever the other part though. Seem to swap between Smith and Drummond depending on the dialogue for modern Sonic. Default to Smith, but Drummond comes out with with some of the more 90's attitude-y comments.

Eggman is almost always Pollock, SatAM Robotnik doesn't really fit his current portrayal. 

Pretty sure he means Ratchet from Ratchet and Clank.

I just go for all the current official game voices for the game characters and the SatAM voices for the cartoon characters. There are some cases like Chip where I go for the only official voice they've ever had, but I tend to stick to the official material when I'm reading. Classic Sonic I admittedly have a hard time deciding what I want his voice to be like in my head. Sometimes I go for Jaleel White and sometimes I go for a higher-pitched Roger. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:

I'm not going to lie I hear Jaleel White. I don't think his voice is bad for Sonic he just had a lot of Bad material.

I'm not sure I think much about voices when reading Sonic comics, but thinking about "classic" Sonic now, I hear his voice from the OVA. XP

Okay, fine:

I like to think for "modern" Sonic, I still hear Ryan Drummond but maybe with RCS' delivery at times and with more modern recording quality. Jason Griffith can mix in there, but he more or less sounded like Drummond to me but with worse delivery in that he changed his pitch too much within a single sentence and had odd emphasis (Drummond: "PIECE of CAKE!" Griffith: "Piece of CA~AKE!"). Eggman can either be Bristow or Pollock, as they sound the same enough to me to where I might be mixing his pre- and post-Heroes voice in my head. They both did/do a good job. Amy can either be her SA2 voice or Amy Ortiz, who's voice is like sugar candy to my ears. Any other characters who appeared in SA2 have their voices from SA2, though they may get mixed with their 4Kids counterparts from time to time.

Any character introduced after SA2 has his or her original voice. Silver's and Blaze's original voices are irreplaceable, Omega's first voice was also his best, etc.

SatAM original characters have their SatAM voices—or approximations of their SatAM voices. It's been a while. Some might sound a tad older in my head now dependent on the art and character portrayal, etc., in the comic.

Edit: Jason Griffith fans, in what game or show, etc., did Jason give his best performance as Sonic? Sorry, I know it's mostly off-topic; let me rephrase: if you read Archie Sonic with Jason Griffith's voice, what performance of his are you basing this mental casting off of?

Edit 2: The Internet (the almighty sonic.wikia.com) says that Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Black Knight are his best rolls. I need to play Unleashed again...boost formula...

35 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Edit: Jason Griffith fans, in what game or show, etc., did Jason give his best performance as Sonic? Sorry, I know it's mostly off-topic; let me rephrase: if you read Archie Sonic with Jason Griffith's voice, what performance of his are you basing this mental casting off of?

Unleashed is the only one where he didn't sound like Barney the Dinosaur.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, chaosjam said:

Wow...can't believe they responded to me too.  Same old song and dance though...

brVGqecm.jpg

Even more interesting, never seen them Like a comment on the matter before...

• Thumbs Up 8

The use of the word "future" sounds ominous or at least like the issue is complicated and long-reaching, but I refuse to read too much into this.

Soo, about that Forces thing... hoo boy I predict a war... hopefully not though.

My bets would be on future DLC possibilities (like more possibilities for models, like the ones we're missing in here) considering the OC, if the gimmick gets wind under its wings. Or something, though there's a long list of species already. Though I'm happy if the FF won't get into the game since they'd get turned into hollow husks by the unecsisting character development game cast tends to get nowadays... And I already have a feeling I'd need to make a character called 'Edgy the Edgelord' should this game become a joke before I get it myself... ^_^

I just have a question; we already have the Eggman, now where's the walrus?

Not very  "goo goo g'joob" Sega...

... I really needed to make that joke though. Even if its age is one comparable to the time it has taken from the birth of everything to this day...

14 minutes ago, chaosjam said:

brVGqecm.jpg

Even more interesting, never seen them Like a comment on the matter before...

'Senpai' really noticed you this time didn't they?

Maybe that was their subtle try to make people stop asking, I suppose the first answer was a try of accomplishing that too, considering how long they kept quiet about it... Of course I'm not excluding the optimistic possibility of them making some progress considering the matter, that would be just nice at this point. And nice is really lackluster word for describing that thing.

• Thumbs Up 5