Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

40 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

what did he say about mania?

Well, he joked about Fang, Bean, and Bark not being part of the classic Sonic IP, and their appearance was just as a nod to the spinoff games.

Jeez, look at me bumping into hornet’s nest again… I’m bound to make someone agitated here. :wacko:

It’s not just about storytelling; I don’t think they’d use characters from the comics and cartoons if they’d go and canonise the whole Sonic franchise into one big thing. WHATEVER some fans say/want (considering the fact the company would listen to its customers), as far as I can tell SoJ doesn’t seem to be too interested in including them in the game-canon, not least because the comics make probably such a small piece of the fandom anyway (since you really can't please the entire fandom anyway), let alone the fact it’s rather hard for me to tell the reasons of why they keep making decisions like they have done. I can’t really tell whether it’s cultural or not they don’t really seem to be that interested of the idea including these characters into games if I’ve read the ENTIRE situation correctly.

And actually I think that'd be a good thing. Take a look at all the characters in question; every single detail in them. Compare them to the game cast as they're now. At least I can FEEL the difference even without a complete analyse. The emotions these characters give to me are different. They don’t really fit into the games as they are nowadays due to the characterisations and personalities (or at least the growth said character traits have got over the years). Their tone is usually so different they wouldn’t fit at all just because of that. Maybe if the games would have the tone they had at some point, but now, not really.

The worst case scenario for me would be if they’re included in the games (as the games have been for some time now) and every other media would be canonised with the games or shut down entirely, since developers would probably just take their cores, the personalities (the very essences that differ them from the game cast), throw them away and leave just empty husks in place for use. And the idea of having just more of empty spaces coated with pixels doesn’t seem too appealing.

And the tone of the games at the moment doesn’t encourage me to think otherwise.

I don’t want to have these characters just for having them, I want them as they are! I don’t want yet another “Baldy Mc. Nosehair” concept around, let alone it becoming the only way stories flow. If that sort of canonising still somehow manages to happen, you know where I’m heading towards.

And that just makes me to want comics back even more! Mur.

And that’s why I’ll give “mental” CPR to the Archie Sonic as long as possible. Even if the others have already left the operation theatre.

As intensely as in One Piece Sanji wanted to give CPR to Nami in chapter 237. ^_^

And I’m not meaning people couldn’t have different opinions. This is just my silly/something opinion. Feel free to disagree, I’m sorry if I offended anybody with my realistic-naturalistic view. Yet I still have the naivety of hoping everything will be allright.

I just, just want the comics back as they were. The guys whose opinions matter/decide over these matters could just do something to it. Just give the comics to us. Give them now please. :(

As if any of them would see this anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

And the idea of having just more of empty spaces coated with pixels doesn’t seem too appealing.

B) Don't forget to drop the mic.

Seriously, though, I agree. I really haven't been a fan of official character, uh, characterization in the games since before Sonic Colors. Then again, we've really only had one writing team since then, not including the Boom writers.

That must be some brand power, though; think about it: I haven't liked the writing (or really, the gameplay either) since before Sonic Colors, and here I am, still a loyal fan (albeit one who isn't necessarily buying and playing the games).

Edit: That's at least fives of dollars they're leaving on the table by not giving me more of what I want. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Borvoc said:

They eventually had to reboot the comics as TMNT Amazing Adventures, where they loosened restrictions, keeping the feel of the show but allowing it to do its own thing, which improved the book and, assumingly, increased sales. (It hasn't been rebooted again yet, though the reboot slated for the associated TV show after the current season will likely change this.)

Amazing Adventures was cancelled last fall, likely because it had the same sales as New Animated Adventures. It was succeeded by a crossover mini between the Nick Turtles and Batman: The Animated Series and then a three issue mini called Robotanimals that starts next month.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh. I'm pretty sure the cancellation would have had to do with the show ending, but it could have been sales too. I know for sure that the consensus at least was that it was a better book than NAA, but I suppose sales don't always reflect that. I wonder if the reboot of the show in Fall 2018 is going to get its own spin-off comic.

Also, Amazing Adventure's Batman crossover was really good.

2 hours ago, Borvoc said:

B) Don't forget to drop the mic.

Seriously, though, I agree. I really haven't been a fan of official character, uh, characterization in the games since before Sonic Colors. Then again, we've really only had one writing team since then, not including the Boom writers.

That must be some brand power, though; think about it: I haven't liked the writing (or really, the gameplay either) since before Sonic Colors, and here I am, still a loyal fan (albeit one who isn't necessarily buying and playing the games).

Edit: That's at least fives of dollars they're leaving on the table by not giving me more of what I want. :P

Don't jinx my headset now, it's been working well for such a long time, :D ;) (It was a joke right?)

Ooh the miraculous Internet, here I was feeling so lonely when so many comments on places have praised Colours. :lol: I always wonder though, do they consider it more about the gameplay-side than the plotside? Since the plot, while it works to a some degree, it loses pretty much all the interest-value it has for me when Sonic starts wisecracking in that way of his (and the gameplay is kind of lackluster for me, I need some difference for stages, other than the Wisps alone even when they're kind of an interesting concept).

Somehow, I find the Japanese dub nicer than the English, even when I can't get a word out of it. Maybe from now on I'll play it with Japanese dubs, altough the subs are still for the English script...

I just happened to touch Shattered Crystals today after some time, and got reminded why it felt a tad bit... 'interesting'. They really are opening, dissecting and explaining their jokes! It's just something else. Even when I find it easier to play than SA2:B I'd still prefer the latter since they're taking themselves and the world around them seriously enough without being all grim about it and not acting like a group of uncertain stand-up comedians on their first round. Jeez, the stage fright... I think the comics were a lot better in this case, especially the first four issues.

All hail the massive savings we make by not getting what we'd gladly buy! At this rate, I've saved so much money I could import a DVD-box I've drooled after some time now with it.

Seriously, I'm hoping for it getting back, sooner rather than later though. But yeah, I find it a bit amusing how even Jughead is having... issues. Sorry, pun not intended, I just didn't find any other word that'd work in here. :blush:

Has someone cursed all Archie stuff that isn't drama-centered mess? Although I did find some irony from that one Archie page where he casually asked for his phone back after messing with the newspaper pictures since he needed to charge his phone, he was so used to screwing up at jobs he didn't have any other reaction to it whatsoever.

Don't throw stuff at me, it was on that first post-reboot Jughead GN! I wanted to check it out after seeing issue previews and it was rather amusing. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1

For the non-native English speakers in our midst. :P

To me at least, to drop the mic just means that you said or did something so well that there's nothing left to say, so you drop the mic.

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

They really are opening, dissecting and explaining their jokes! It's just something else.

Roger van der Weide makes this point frequently in his Sonic Dissected videos. Not sure if you've ever watched them, but they're fun if you like to over-analyze Sonic games and their story, etc.

Since none of my post is actually about the comics aside from implied writing-style comparisons, I'll shut up before someone kicks me from this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

For the non-native English speakers in our midst. :P

To me at least, to drop the mic just means that you said or did something so well that there's nothing left to say, so you drop the mic.

Roger van der Weide makes this point frequently in his Sonic Dissected videos. Not sure if you've ever watched them, but they're fun if you like to over-analyze Sonic games and their story, etc.

Since none of my post is actually about the comics aside from implied writing-style comparisons, I'll shut up before someone kicks me from this thread.

Oh gee, so that's the case. :blush: I should use web dictionaries more often... Well, thanks a lot for the compliments. It was pretty poetic wasn't it? ^_^ Sigh, I know so much I feel too comfortable to speak/write, yet I still feel as oblivious to these "more-inside" sayings as if I'd be Antoine. (Keep a close eye on me before I start to write laik tiis. Since talking is easier said than done in here)

But of course I watch his stuff! He's cool. Though I wonder if he's starting to grow tired on the franchise due to the fact he's starting to sound a bit tired. :unsure: It was actually a bit sad to see how well that Shattered Crystal parody described the game's dialogue... I like Dissecteds pretty much too, he has this, should I call it sarcastic-y kind of humour on it in some cases, like in that one that was about "merry lit--"! Btw have you watched IMP too? It's an interesting show of his experience as an animator and a writer growing, even when there are some guest writers in some episodes.

.I'm wondering though, purely out of curiosity of course, has anybody tried to go and make an address/petition for getting Archie and Sega to spill out the beans? Or tried to fund a bribe for leaking some info? I know addresses don't usually work, but there was a time when asking about having Digimon on TV again caused the channel staff to answer something akin to "go wacth Spongebob since we have that one now!" Someone should act when Archie tells us to go and see Riverdale when asked about Sonic... or have they done that already? :huh:

Gee, I hope this frustration the community might have would evolve into some fan project or something... like a Pokémon since their evolutions are usually more stable than the ones Digimon's have. ^_^ I'd like to have something that lasts.

... And I think you jumped right before that big boot got shoved into your even-lower backside. Can't swear though, I myself don't have an "impeachable" timing (that was intentional, I hope I remembered it correctly. Good job for anybody that gets it, it's on-topic after all). :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Just throwing this out there while its still relevant, but you guys all saw that recent Mania trailer right?

Hesse isn't the first guy to make the Fan Artist, to Archie, to Sega jump and he probably won't be the last. If Sega were to nix the comics, their human resources department would actually have to do some leg work when it comes to finding new artists for the franchise in the future. Archie basically saves them the time and trouble.

On top of that, this goes back to that synergy I was talking about before. Hesse was a noted fan artist who grew within the franchise. At some point he was a kid drawing Sonic for fun just like god knows how many else of us do every day. (I could shameless plug my DA page here, but I won't) When he got picked up by Archie, I'm sure that there was no shortage of little blokes and not so little blokes who put pen to paper, looking to improve so that they can follow in his path. And seeing as how Sega is no stranger to poaching comic talent, there is a clear and defined path for Mr or Ms artist to work their way to being apart of the franchise they adore.

That path. That goal, that desire spawns rabidness. A tenacity to stick with the franchise for a long time. To keep producing art, to keep buying the games, to keep investing in the comics and beyond. That only happens while Sonic can be in so many places at once. Sonic games only come every so often. Once they come and go, Sonic falls of the map until the next one is announced. The comics fill that void better than any other medium. They provide an outlet for the masses to satiate that desire and keep them connected with all things blue blur until the next game drops. Its a focusing device that keeps them invested in the franchise, so that when the next game does come, it doesn't have the additional burden of proof of having to remind you that you like Sonic. That love never fell dormant. You drew a picture, or read a comic of the dude 2 days ago.

As long as proper quality controls remain in place, Sega really shouldn't be looking to stunt that kind of power. I think its the core of what helps this franchise stand apart. Its a big part of what keeps it relevant, despite what the number of comics sold implies. It has a much farther reach beyond that.

EDIT

inB4 someone says the comics are on hiatus because Sega commandeered all their talent.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not that, I just don't think the comic is all that important for SEGA to find talent. Yeah we have, like, four previous Archie staff doing some work on the franchise, but only one in any great capacity (Ian and Evan wrote two and one episode of Boom respectively, Rafa has done little renders for the PR team). They can easily find that sort of talent elsewhere if needs be, as is/was the case with Sergio, and Taxman and Stealth, and Digi, and Syaming Li.  

Besides, Tyson Hesse was famous for Sonic work long before he was hired to work on the Archie comic, so he had that clout going for him. 

• Thumbs Up 4

15 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Oh gee, so that's the case. :blush: I should use web dictionaries more often... Well, thanks a lot for the compliments. It was pretty poetic wasn't it? ^_^ Sigh, I know so much I feel too comfortable to speak/write, yet I still feel as oblivious to these "more-inside" sayings as if I'd be Antoine. (Keep a close eye on me before I start to write laik tiis. Since talking is easier said than done in here)

But of course I watch his stuff! He's cool. Though I wonder if he's starting to grow tired on the franchise due to the fact he's starting to sound a bit tired. :unsure: It was actually a bit sad to see how well that Shattered Crystal parody described the game's dialogue... I like Dissecteds pretty much too, he has this, should I call it sarcastic-y kind of humour on it in some cases, like in that one that was about "merry lit--"! Btw have you watched IMP too? It's an interesting show of his experience as an animator and a writer growing, even when there are some guest writers in some episodes.

Don't worry about it. Even I can't keep up with all the idioms, as I don't really care about pop culture. I had to figure out for myself what mic dropping meant a while ago and just recently finally felt that I could express its meaning properly. (Why am I taking this so seriously?) And nope, I've only ever seen Roger's Sonic stuff, but I'll check out IMP at some point if you think I should. I never understood what it was, so it was hard to get interested.

11 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

(I could shameless plug my DA page here, but I won't)

You should have made this text a link to your DA page. It would have been hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 3

Has anybody asked Archie what's going on with the Jughead comic yet? I'm genuinely curious to know if they're actually cancelling one of their best sellers and if poor Ian is once again out of a job...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Has anybody asked Archie what's going on with the Jughead comic yet? I'm genuinely curious to know if they're actually cancelling one of their best sellers and if poor Ian is once again out of a job...

Multiple people have asked over Twitter, but Archie has been consistently ignoring them.  Which is especially weird now that they're actually responding daily to people asking about Sonic.

On 5/29/2017 at 8:45 PM, Tylinos said:
On 5/29/2017 at 8:07 PM, Dejimon11 said:

I know I'm reply to a week old comment but I thought that the horror line wasn't doing that well since it came out since the audience was also losing interest. On that note it seems like Sonic isn't the only one that's been on Archie's hiatus list there are other comics that haven't been cancelled 

Edit: Here's a better pic 

Not only that, but Jughead, one of their big main series, has just been removed from the Archie Store's subscriptions page after being missing from solicits for a few months.

Edit: Never mind. Sorry for all the post edits. I'm finally caught up on what was confusing me and would rather not confuse others.

I'm still having a hard time believing Jughead is canceled, especially with Money McWaid on story.

Another edit: It does make sense, though, that Archie would have it's arms around Sonic a bit better than Jughead, since the Sonic issues have been going on longer.

So from what things look, this has more to do with Archie as a whole than just Sonic.

It's actually kinda relieving instead of the thought of Sonic alone potentially getting the boot. But that's still to early to tell.

• Thumbs Up 4

Due to what people have been saying in this thread, I assume that the Sonic delays are their own thing and would be happening regardless of whatever's going on with Jughead.

I've always wondered, if Archie suddenly came out with "Sonic comics are coming back" like, I dunno, tomorrow, or at any point before the next batch of solicits are set to drop, would its return *have* to be in the month of whatever the newest solicits are (i.e. September) or could they theoretically retroactively insert the latest issues into the June/July/August schedules?

Hope this made sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea how this stuff works, but I'm assuming that comic book shops have already ordered their June stuff by now since it's all been solicited—or at least some have. Either way, Archie would probably want to bring the books back via the solicits for July in order to not miss out on anyone who's already ordered for this month (comic stores, that is).

Just a thought. I don't know how comics work.

For what it's worth, when Archie ressurected their own Super Special Magazine back before Christmas, they did it literally out of nowhere: at no point did it appear in any solicits beforehand, and yet suddenly they just came out with it on social media a few weeks before its release.

Not really, because comics and magazines don't have the same release cycles. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh. So maybe my skepticism is correct in spite of my ignorance. We'll find out in time, I'm sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I've always wondered, if Archie suddenly came out with "Sonic comics are coming back" like, I dunno, tomorrow, or at any point before the next batch of solicits are set to drop, would its return *have* to be in the month of whatever the newest solicits are (i.e. September) or could they theoretically retroactively insert the latest issues into the June/July/August schedules?

Hope this made sense.

The books would probably have to be added back to their next solicitation cycle - so we're likely at least 3 months out -at the earliest- from seeing the books return if that's the case.

For the record, all of the solicits for unreleased issues were canceled in March, 3 months after it was rumored that they lost the license.

There is the chance they could try to add them back by rush-soliciting the comics so they show up and retailers can place their orders a few weeks away from the release date - but that remains to be seen. That's stuff that will probably have to get figured out by Archie before they announce anything.

I'm not sure if we're going to hear any news on this before E3 as SEGA might either be busy getting ready to be on-site at the event. Or they may just be holding off on whatever it is they're figuring out with Archie until after the event. But I think it's clear by now that this was never something that Archie planned for or wanted - these were their highest selling titles and were close to anniversary issues that would have bumped up sales even higher - especially during a year with two big video game releases. It might be that the numerous lawsuits scared SEGA off from renewing the license in January and that fan outcry (or maybe even a few months of not getting any money from the comics) changed their minds.

• Thumbs Up 4

14 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

We don't know if any minds have been changed though. 

You're correct. That's the hope talking. I myself think the comic's probably dead and gone given everything so far, but I'll be quite happy if I'm proven wrong.