Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 minute ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

Didn't Tyson Heese also hint that Overdrive isn't cancelled? I'm getting these thoughts, like what if Overdrive was published by Boom Studios instead?

Again, my not-so-good memory tells me it was more about the pages are done or something, correct me if I'm wrong though. ^_^

2 minutes ago, Evercross said:

Have you ever heard of Lost Hedgehog Tales? If it's any indication of how he'll tell stories without them being published in a comic, you may be waiting a while.

Yes, I even read the first chapter within the day it got out. Many times. :) It was a nice thing, though I felt some interesting nuances on it.

And the sweet time he's taking with doing it, that's because he has his reasons. There's some stuff, and we need to be patient, he needs to go by the rules, he needs to stay alive, all the other stuff that hinders the project. Though, if the worst happens, there might be a slight possibility of it coming out a bit faster. :huh: Or then not, let's not pester Mr. Flynn about it though. ^_^

Either way, we're waiting, at least I've been waiting for some time now for Archie Sonics to come to the shop. ;) What'd some more weeks/monts/anything do at this point anyway...

• Thumbs Up 3

If anything it's one of three things.  I myself consider it dead. You can't I again state put a comic on hold 7 months and expect to come back as strong as before .

But 1. Sega wants more money

2. Sega wants the stories to just involve the main gameverse crew

3. They want to end it but archives looking at how to keep it

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

Didn't Tyson Heese also hint that Overdrive isn't cancelled? I'm getting these thoughts, like what if Overdrive was published by Boom Studios instead?

He posted in the Sonic Retro thread. "never say never", but replied by saying he didn't mean to be vague, and he didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up. And that if it didn't come out of Archie, it likely wouldn't happen any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/4/2017 at 11:05 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

We also know SEGA is the ones who have started this, not Archie. So stuff like sales (At least in terms of it selling less than the Archie reboot comics), Riverdale, the Archie reboot, and etc are not a factor since apparently it was SEGA who began the talks, not Archie.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that all we know is that Archie didn't start the delays by choice. Sega may have, or it may not have been Sega's choice either. It may have been a choice that Sega and Archie were both forced to make due to the Fulop case. Archie and Sega being in talks could simply mean that they're both figuring this out together.

You could be right too; I just don't want everyone jumping in Sega's chili either, when we don't really know much of what's going on behind the scenes.

On 6/4/2017 at 11:24 AM, HywelAtTheMoon said:

I seem to remember Flynn saying he will get Overdrive out come hell or high water. I've a suspicion that the problem is because of both the Fulop case and financial issues at Archie. Both are possibly related, those lawyers don't come cheap. It's not just Sonic getting put on hiatus; Jughead is getting the same treatment.

We should just start putting Ian on comics that we don't like so that they can be cancelled. :(

Then again, if he does end up writing them, then people might like them.

On 6/4/2017 at 0:28 PM, Tails spin said:

I was also wonder if overdrive was delayed to release along with Mania

I doubt this would have been the initial reason, but I can see the benefit of targeting this date now that the delays are already underway.

22 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I feel like I've fallen off with this, but is the thing with Fulop still on-going? It came up and disappeared so quickly I'd assumed they managed to settle or the case got thrown out in a similar fashion to what happened with the Penders lawsuit.

The way I understand it, our court system in America can take quite a while. I listen to a guy on the radio who's been in court for the same thing for years now. It's so silly. Then again, I hope you're right and it's over soon. It's potentially in Archie's interest, and maybe even Sega's, to get this behind them.

5 hours ago, BlueSky said:

But well, I wouldn't start making assumptions like that at the moment. I mean, both Archie and Sega are quiet. I know the high possibility of Sega not really caring about what's happening with the comics outside licensing stuff but would they really keep quiet about the stuff if the silence was all about Archie wanting to keep the cash or something? I think not. If they would, I'd call it a bad idea considering marketing and all, we're talking about their mascot after all.

Please don't go all agitator-politicians out there, I have traumas about them... irl traumas, really...

Wait. Are aligator-politicians like people who shed crocodile tears (insincere tears or expressions of sorrow)? Or are they like people who smile and grin but have teeth that are sharp enough to eat people? Are we worried about politicians in government or about regular people in this thread being political? Or are we worried about the politics of Archie and Sega?

I must know where these alligators are! :P

3 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I wonder how comic shops and bookstores and the like handle things like this? Like, if Sonic is one of their best sellers, how is Archie communicating why they're not getting stock? What about the young subscribers that don't keep track of things online and are wondering why they haven't gotten a Sonic comic in almost half a year? Seems like Archie would HAVE to say SOMETHING to placate those people.

Time is also different for younger people, who seem to live much more in-the-moment. The books may have been gone for six months, but as long as they're back now, I'm not sure kids of a certain age really care they were ever gone in the first place.

Also,

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Evercross said:

Have you ever heard of Lost Hedgehog Tales? If it's any indication of how he'll tell stories without them being published in a comic, you may be waiting a while.

lol, yeah. It's probably also an indication of his lack of compensation for it and his conflicting need to eat. It really is kindhearted for Ian to even offer to do Lost Hedgehog Tales, whether it ever actually ends up happening or not. The guy certainly can't do that for every story he wasn't able to tell or every rough draft that changed along the way.

Just now, Ernest-Panda said:

And yet it's still gone from the subscriptions page.

Weirdie-beardie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't Ian say that the reason LHT couldn't continue was legal issues or something?

I can't really remember his reasoning for it. It was either legal reasons, or because of his work on the comics taking up too much time, which in either case is a justifiable reason why we only have chapter 1. 

• Thumbs Up 7

33 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Also,

Issue 16 was the last issue solicited before they stopped putting Jughead in the solicits, so this really isn't much of a surprise.  The real thing to look for is if there's any sign of an Issue 17 coming.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Borvoc said:

The way I understand it, our court system in America can take quite a while. I listen to a guy on the radio who's been in court for the same thing for years now. It's so silly. Then again, I hope you're right and it's over soon. It's potentially in Archie's interest, and maybe even Sega's, to get this behind them.

Well, your country is not the only one, worst thing in here are the cases they open thousand times for going back and forth about whether or not someone killed their family or not, and it takes hundreds of millions of state's money. And all the people who can't get a rest. :blink:

Wait. Are aligator-politicians like people who shed crocodile tears (insincere tears or expressions of sorrow)? Or are they like people who smile and grin but have teeth that are sharp enough to eat people? Are we worried about politicians in government or about regular people in this thread being political? Or are we worried about the politics of Archie and Sega?

I must know where these alligators are! :P

Agitators, dear @Borvoc, agitators. :D

You know, those aggressive guys that try to force their ideals on others by shouting about them in public and stuff like that.

Seriously though, haven't you ever faced any? :huh: I've seen soo many leftie-almost-communist agitator (really real) politicians (relics from the 'Soviet neighbour' times I suppose) that get themselves so agitated about their opinions they get even redder than their ideals. The sacrifices I must take for hanging with humanists of the university... they're nice guys usually but their politician friends are veery tough cookies, I tell you.

... and I cannot speak with them about human(ism)-centered university stuff/politics without failing miserably even when I try to argue with pure logic (thing that you don't do when talking about these human-centered things, jeez I'm braindead in some cases). Then they think I'm a right-sider even when I'm neither, big companies should pay more taxes andallthatjazz. I just don't think it's a good idea to change a president just because some person is more "hip" for others... and that one leftie I was talking/arguing with didn't even explain those terms they used for me, just said "take a course". Like I would after that, jeez. I can tell you more about it in PM if you're interested of it enough, would probably do some good for me to get some steam out, jeez. I can't possibly even think what'd happen if I'd start to talk with them about Sonic, they'd probably explode and/or collapse from the sheer pressure... not really, :D Sonic's not really that agitating thing around here. Kind of nice thing actually. Kids can walk freely in Sonic shirts, I once saw one. :) No car did try to drive over that kid.

So yeah, Vector's nothing like them, being crocodile and all.. krhm. But maybe I could start to call them alligators, that was actually pretty good one. Thanks. ^_^

Also,

Funny thing, the one Mr. Flynn retweeted for some time ago had it's link to a Sabrina preview...

...tries again...

WHAT??!?? Now it worked?? This is  kind of interesting... :blink: I won't read Sabrina's they're most likely cursed or something if this happens...

More likely I messed something up at some point or something... :blush:

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Agitators, dear @Borvoc, agitators. :D

So, I may have read past the above statement all the way down to the bottom of your post before realizing that the word is "agitators" and not "alligators". I'm a native English speaker, I promise. A native Amrican-English speaker. Native American? How.

Okay, we'd better take this to PM if you want to continue, though I probably won't respond until tomorrow.

And yeah, Vectors way too cool a cucumber. If anything, Charmy is probably the more agitating of the Chaotix members.

Anyway, if JUGHEAD #17 is the telltale sign, I suppose we'll have to keep waiting and see.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Borvoc said:

lol, yeah. It's probably also an indication of his lack of compensation for it and his conflicting need to eat. It really is kindhearted for Ian to even offer to do Lost Hedgehog Tales, whether it ever actually ends up happening or not. The guy certainly can't do that for every story he wasn't able to tell or every rough draft that changed along the way.

Weirdie-beardie.

I can offer to make everyone on this forum rich enough to buy the Sonic license and get all this stuff settled themselves, but it doesn't really matter much if I don't do it. His offering doesn't make him kindhearted at all. If he actually did it, then yes, that would make him kindhearted. As for compensation, maybe he should ask for it? Start a kickstarter saying if he reaches goals, x, y, and z he'll do chapters, a, b, and c for each goal. This being said, I do understand he is under no obligation to do this and I don't hold it against him that he hasn't done it. All I'm saying is, he mentioned it quite some time ago and it wasn't done. Same thing would probably happen in the case of what he said with Overdrive if that was his intention.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the info was done, but he wasn't happy with the format. He wanted it to be super professional (apparently also helps with conveying the ideas properly) so he was in the process of reformatting it.

Personally, I think that may have been a mistake, even with understanding that he only wanted the best for his fans. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't know, @Evercross, I think Ian wanting to do something for his fans that takes a lot of work and no pay is a really nice thing for him to want to do even if it never pans out.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Borvoc said:

Time is also different for younger people, who seem to live much more in-the-moment. The books may have been gone for six months, but as long as they're back now, I'm not sure kids of a certain age really care they were ever gone in the first place.

If anything, time feels like it passes slower when you're a kid. Our six months probably translates into feeling like a year or two.

Time is strange.

4 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

If anything, time feels like it passes slower when you're a kid. Our six months probably translates into feeling like a year or two.

Time is strange.

If anything, this is because of school. Time feels like forever in school, and that translates to the comics feeling like they've been gone for a long long time.

I just don't understand how it takes six months for SEGA and Archie to '"talk". Are there disagreements on what they want to do? Is some obstacles, like legal stuff they have to sort out, in the way? Are they just planning some thing(s) and wanted to lay out a foundation/time table for it?

It makes no sense.

• Thumbs Up 4

The way I read the radio silence is that whatever they're discussing has no predictable timetable; they could be agreed in months, they could be agreed tomorrow, they could never agree.  So, to save themselves from a PR perspective, they're saying absolutely nothing in the hopes that they can get things thrashed out before they're forced to admit that that's a problem.  The fact that it's taking so long exposes the flaw in that line of thinking.  They didn't want the bad publicity of announcing a hiatus in case they resolved things quickly enough that no hiatus was necessary, and yet here we are months later and they have absolutely nothing to show for themselves.

I guess the one thing to take away from this is that at least one of the parties involved must really want the comic to continue.  If neither Sega nor Archie cared, they'd have just dropped the comic by now because the negotiations were too much trouble.

• Thumbs Up 7

5 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

I just don't understand how it takes six months for SEGA and Archie to '"talk". Are there disagreements on what they want to do? Is some obstacles, like legal stuff they have to sort out, in the way? Are they just planning some thing(s) and wanted to lay out a foundation/time table for it?

It makes no sense.

Maybe the position of licensing at SEGA is like a revolving door and 3/4 of their conversations is getting the newcomers up to speed before they go somewhere else.

I'm just gonna go ahead and throw the Fulop Molotov back into the mix, as people seem to keep reducing the issue as if it were only between Archie and Sega, with no other potentially involved parties or issues. I still don't think it's necessarily just a licensing negotiation that's holding us back.

• Thumbs Up 3

Conversely, people keep saying "Oh, they're just waiting for the Fulop case" and I'm like...uh, not too likely to be a main culprit.

21 hours ago, Borvoc said:

So, I may have read past the above statement all the way down to the bottom of your post before realizing that the word is "agitators" and not "alligators". I'm a native English speaker, I promise. A native Amrican-English speaker. Native American? How.

Okay, we'd better take this to PM if you want to continue, though I probably won't respond until tomorrow.

And yeah, Vectors way too cool a cucumber. If anything, Charmy is probably the more agitating of the Chaotix members..

Yeah, we all stumble at some point, even with our native languages, my bad making the text so small, :blush: it's something I do to it when it goes a bit further down the road since many wouldn't probably be that interested... :D

Sure thing, I myself am somewhat busy too, no problems. :)

... And now I picture Charmy shouting Marxisms out while standing on a soapbox (or couple) in some corner of some plaza... that isn't very pretty. :blink:

21 hours ago, Evercross said:

As for compensation, maybe he should ask for it? Start a kickstarter saying if he reaches goals, x, y, and z he'll do chapters, a, b, and c for each goal. This being said, I do understand he is under no obligation to do this and I don't hold it against him that he hasn't done it. All I'm saying is, he mentioned it quite some time ago and it wasn't done. Same thing would probably happen in the case of what he said with Overdrive if that was his intention.

I bring my secret weapon here yet again... The BumbleKast. ^_^

In one episode he said he'd considered some kind of tip-jar but since that'd cause some questions flying around about stuff or something it never went anywhere outside a train of thought. I can understand it, considering all the hassle around stuff.

At one point he said it needs some trimming but the basic concept is somewhat ready. He's decided to put it out all that's left to cover in one go, I think I remember it being that way.

And it's on hiatus since again, the whole thing we're even ultimately waiting for it is the whole mess around these matters, lawsuits are made yet again, stuff's boiling and all. I'm not that surprised he's not giving it out right at the moment. There are lots and lots of 'adults' out there that take their sweet time on doing something funny they've promised to do but do it nevertheless, they just take some time for it.

And since he's doing it for free, we're (as far as I'm concerned) in no position of complaining about how long it takes; he is a freelancer but there're some word-twisting meanies (who couldn't care less for kilometer-long disclaimers) out there who don't care as long as he's talking about something that has anything to do with the concepts that are of any part of the lawsuit. All I know Mr. Flynn is acting (considering overall everything he's doing publicly I'd say) in very mature and adultlike way and I respect him much for that. He's got every right to make sure he can keep on doing his job without getting into some legal messes without any intend to do so. But again, this is just my humble opinion.

5 hours ago, Borvoc said:

I'm just gonna go ahead and throw the Fulop Molotov back into the mix, as people seem to keep reducing the issue as if it were only between Archie and Sega, with no other potentially involved parties or issues. I still don't think it's necessarily just a licensing negotiation that's holding us back.

Yep, we all should totally fear for the almighty Fly-Fly-Freddy... ^_^ But seriously, I think it could be anything at this point since we know nothing of what happens behind the curtains, be it good or bad. I'm gonna quote Alphaville yet again at any moment if this sulking continues its way towards the unholy world of all doom and gloom...

Funny you talked about Molotovs here, they saved 'our' ancestor's butts back then... ^_^

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, that's interesting actually.

19 hours ago, chaosjam said:

I tried poking the bear again. At least they haven't blocked me yet...

What do they mean by that "part of an ongoing process" anyway... sounds like they're developing/evolving something...

Just speculating with the words here... don't mind me, it's just an interesting wordchoice.

I appreciate how they try to feel for your frustration, whether it's just for promo or not, looks like they care people at least on the customer level... right?

Then again, they did ignore stuff like this for months...

On ‎5‎.‎6‎.‎2017 at 9:48 PM, Borvoc said:

Roger. That makes sense.

Somewhere Roger turns to face the camera and says "Huh?"

A bit late, forgot this masterpiece while ranting before... ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1