Jump to content
Toby

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Well, come on, it wasn't that bad... he made it work even like that. He should've known this is something not too uncommon, I just can't remember the other people who've had same kind of incidents... :rolleyes:

Why I suddenly feel so alone about the fact I actually liked the stuff in on that arc? <_<

I loved the Iron Dominion Arc and still don't understand why it was so panned by the fandom. It may even be one of my favorite arcs in the entire series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember back when I had decided to get all the back issues of the comics from 150 up to the then current release. My grandpa bought them all for me. And they arrived in these three LARGE stacks of endless Sonic the Hedgehog comics. And I spent the entire day reading them all.

I'd give anything to have an experience like that again.

For someone to just DUMP a shit load of new Sonic content I've never experienced before right before my lap for me to inhale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Let's take a moment to talk about digital comics:

I assume that Archie have some kind of grace period that allows them to continued selling their back issues on their shop and to keep the Sonic titles on their own reader app for a time.

But what happens after that? I know the answer is obvious for the former, but what about the latter? When the comics disappear from the app, what does that mean for the issues I and many others have purchased there? Will they be transfered to Comixology? Maybe IDW could even be given the rights to distribute the Archie Sonic library on their app, and have them be transferred there?

Whatever the answer is, I just don't want to lose my digital issues that I paid to have.

Archie's app is basically a filtered version of the Madefire app that only shows Archie comics for sale. So I'm sure they'll still be on your Madefire account (which you can log in using your account details from Archie if you signed up via the Archie app).

In my (and other's) experience, with any digital goods, things have never disappeared. Be it Amazon Video, iTunes, Steam, everything you have purchased can still be accessed even if it's taken down from the store. I mean, it'd be a dick move to take away access to something someone might have paid tens, if not hundreds of dollars on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so it's a good thing that i have backup of all my issues (and a backup of my backup),

i knew that it would come in handy someday!

*proceedes to call out everyone who said "but two copies of each is too much"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@VEDJ-F

Additional note/minor correction: I think Babylon Rising part 1's Digest reprint was just a random "we need an extra story to fill space" reprint and not an intended promotion of the graphic novel (as it made no mention of it at the end, just a "To be continued in SU#34, available to download" message).

If it's intended promotions of the graphic novel you're after, I direct your attention to the original SSSM#14: it reprinted (or would have...? Damn this is confusing) part 2 of the arc to promote the graphic novel release. Why part 2 you ask? Because a portion of part 1 was already reprinted in issue 10 to promote Best of Sonic Volume 2, more specifically the softcover release...which also ended up being cancelled.

Also there are two more publications missing from that list:

-Art of Sonic the Hedgehog Comics: Probably cancelled for legal reasons.

-Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 7: I don't blame you for letting this one slip by, as it was the only new listing to show up on Amazon after the hiatus had begun, and its time there was of course short-lived. It would have been titled "Keys to Victory" and would have likely consisted of that second chunk of story between WU and PitS (#270-273 specifically). Cancelled because, you guessed it, deal ended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@VEDJ-F That all makes sense. It seems to me that gaming companies understandably care a lot less about anniversaries than their fans do, as evidenced by Metroid's whatevereth anniversary recently, which fans somewhat presumptiously expected Nintendo to celebrate. Companies care about anniversaries if and only if they stand to make money off them which would entail them just so happening to have a big game ready that they can hold for the anniversary and stir up fan hype in the meantime with various celebrations and sales. Sega apparently wasn't ready to release anything and therefore didn't draw out their anniversary celebration any further than they did, as you said, potentially lessening any anniversary hype that the comics could either provide or draw on.

To be honest, I don't think that the video game production cycle and its uncertainties lend to anniversary planning very well, and it hits me as strange that fans of any given franchise would expect a tent-pole game every five years on the year. With how long it takes to make games, I feel like that would require at least every second main-series game in most series to be a big anniversary celebration, which seems silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

-Sonic the Hedgehog #293 - Sonic and Honey would have been on the set of the Sonic-Man show before Eggman intervened. Cancelled due to the deal ending. 

Out of all of that, this is the only one I'm truly disappointed I didn't get to see. It sounds like it'd have been a fun little romp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Borvoc said:

@VEDJ-F That all makes sense. It seems to me that gaming companies understandably care a lot less about anniversaries than their fans do, as evidenced by Metroid's whatevereth anniversary recently, which fans somewhat presumptiously expected Nintendo to celebrate. Companies care about anniversaries if and only if they stand to make money off them which would entail them just so happening to have a big game ready that they can hold for the anniversary and stir up fan hype in the meantime with various celebrations and sales. Sega apparently wasn't ready to release anything and therefore didn't draw out their anniversary celebration any further than they did, as you said, potentially lessening any anniversary hype that the comics could either provide or draw on.

To be honest, I don't think that the video game production cycle and its uncertainties lend to anniversary planning very well, and it hits me as strange that fans of any given franchise would expect a tent-pole game every five years on the year. With how long it takes to make games, I feel like that would require at least every second main-series game in most series to be a big anniversary celebration, which seems silly.

Agreed, I've thought that for a while. I think more often in other media, anniversaries tend to get spaced out more after 25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Out of all of that, this is the only one I'm truly disappointed I didn't get to see. It sounds like it'd have been a fun little romp. 

Same. Honestly, for as much as I love the Freedom Fighters (and by that I mostly mean Nicole and Sally), Honey's probably the hardest loss for me. Despite being a scrapped character who was only dredged (I love that word) up for a rerelease, she was one of the standout post-reboot characters to me. Cute, fun, more flawed and complex than her base concept as a character let on, and introduced in the best post-reboot arc. But after a small handful of single-page cameos in a few issues, she's gone forever again. The Freedom Fighters at least had a good 20-odd years. Honey vanished basically as soon as we got to know her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Can't say I'm for that (personal beliefs). I do wonder what they might bring from the post-SGW issues. 

  Well if it makes you feel any better Nicole is an AI so she technically doesn't have a set biological sex like an organic lifeform would.  

 

But yea, if the FF do survive this my guess is SEGA probably won't allow romance outside of already married couples.  Sad as I too found Sally x Nicole rather cute.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

  Well if it makes you feel any better Nicole is an AI so she technically doesn't have a set biological sex like an organic lifeform would.  

 

But yea, if the FF do survive this my guess is SEGA probably won't allow romance outside of already married couples.  Sad as I too found Sally x Nicole rather cute.  

I hope they bring back AntoineXBunnie. You think they would have kids?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.