Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

20 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Well that's boring. Mike Gallagher's stuff isn't the best work on the comic but it's so Goddamn nut's I can't help but love it.

Yup, it's funny on it's own way, one needs to approach it from a bit of a different angle though. I still find it a lot more funny than that Boom show. :D

16 minutes ago, StratusAsterion said:

Sorry if this has been answered or doesn't belong here, but has anyone heard anything about their subscriptions since the cancellation? my brother has a subscription to Universe (had) and he has sent a few emails to no response :/

There's another discussion solely dedicated for this question about what happens to the subscriptions...

10 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

When did you feel the comics got better

I really don't know anymore.

Penders stuff doesn't really hold up anymore though his early writing is miles ahead of his later writing.

Before Ian the best writer was Karl Bollers who didn't take over as head writer till issue 51. In hindsight I sometimes feel that the fandom was a little too harsh on Bollers. Sure he wrote the "Slap that was heard across the fandom", but he give us good stuff as well. I think of all the Archie Sonic writers he was the closest to trying to capture the feel of Sonic Satam. Plus I liked his characters, Hope, Dr. Finitevus, and Mina(even if she seemed a little mary-sueish at times), better than Penders Echidna tumor that wouldn't stop growing till Ian finally cut it off.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

11 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Well that's boring. Mike Gallagher's stuff isn't the best work on the comic but it's so Goddamn nut's I can't help but love it.

Yeah, they were just plain fun. Not laugh out loud funny, but I still find it a lot more entertaining than a lot of the the later, more serious comics.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Call me the oddball but some of those more serious ones are actually more entertaining for me. Sorry to butt in again. -_-

Of course, I like the early ones for what they are, but even when they're funny I can't remember the stories too well after some time has passed from the latest read-trough.

The "more serious" ones have elements that make my brains work thus leaving a mark in my memory, so when I come back to the story it adds up to the older experiences; things that weren't too clear become easier to see and so on. Even the "Mecha Madness" one wasn't truly "serious" with all those jokes in it but it had some kind of plot behind it that left a mark, it wasn't only fun comic after all.

I'm an oddball, sometimes I just use ~3x more time reading a comic book just because I keep analysing the stuff in it and trying to look all pictures as closely as I can. And I find it quite entertaining. Though it's as entertaining to just let the story flow and get into it without analyses. That's something I can't do if the plot consists only on jokes after jokes and has in fact no plot at all, that'd just feel unwelcoming to me.

And I do like plot that twists and is a bit serious, not all grim and dark but to have at least some self-esteem and confidence. Even (at least some) earlier issues were serious enough to take the world they were living in taken seriously enough not to become uninteresting memefest.

Continuing my reread just did issue 7.

Main story is about Sonic and the Freedom Fighters looking for Uncle Chuck's lost treasure which turns out to be Sonic's bronzed baby shoes.

The back up story is even stupider.

The freedom fighters are dressed up for the annual Fright Night Party.

67UBdZN.png

Sally dresses up as a sorceress and decides that she needs to go out and find a magic stick to complete her look. Robotnik sees her and thinks that she's a real sorceress and falls in love with her and wants to marry her so that they can rule Mobius together.

1vLqEqY.png

oynFdmW.png

Sonic ends up saving Sally of course.

Good god these stories are fucking terrible.

Well, if I recall it right, original-version Rotor wasn't imitating a female singer in that bomb/bug repellent story... :rolleyes:

That's kind of goof we got for the short time it was translated in Finnish and published around here...

Does anyone not like Sonics character in the comics especially pre reboot. He rubbed me off wrong with his casualness, more than that he was too arrogant, spiteful, boastfully petty, and he came off the only teaser for almost every character which is lame since all he does is make cracks. Also he was too perfect and powerful for most focused story Arcs.

He was pretty much the 90s incarnate, but with James bond sue traits and Spideys melodrama and jokes. But his attitude was unbearable, nothing like the games where is ego is reserved for enemies and rivals.

The art in the Archie comics was truly something else.

archie.thumb.jpeg.fc5359bdbca8c35162e32ebd679a8d13.jpeg

Also, is it just me, or does Amy look a little... excited? I swear I'm not seeing things.

• Nice Smile 1

7 hours ago, RLS Legacy said:

Also, is it just me, or does Amy look a little... excited? I swear I'm not seeing things.

That image has been an ongoing joke for years, so much so that when they re-released the issue in the Sonic Archives, they edited Amy in the image.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

That image has been an ongoing joke for years, so much so that when they re-released the issue in the Sonic Archives, they edited Amy in the image.

Ha, I've never seen the Archive's re-release. Reminds me how they recolored most of the random Echidnas in the Knuckles Archives since, before that, they all had the same red color. Any idea if that edit was carried through on the comiXology re-release of the individual issue? I believe it was out before the Archive was, but I'm not sure if those keep the original presentation or are updated/changed.

13 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Ha, I've never seen the Archive's re-release. Reminds me how they recolored most of the random Echidnas in the Knuckles Archives since, before that, they all had the same red color. Any idea if that edit was carried through on the comiXology re-release of the individual issue? I believe it was out before the Archive was, but I'm not sure if those keep the original presentation or are updated/changed.

Hold on, lemme check.

...yup, the comiXology release is edited.

9 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Oh, interesting. Was there ever any clarification as to exactly what that bulge is supposed to be? I initially suspected it might be her knee, but I'm looking at it from every possible angle and I just can't unsee the obvious.

Was it really the artist just dicking around?

• Thumbs Up 2

Issue 8.
After one of Dr. Robotnik's Swatbots catches Crabmeat reading Sonic comics, Robotnik decides to create superhero theme robots to fight Sonic.
The humor works a little better here than in past issues. There's plenty of jokes about the state of the comics industry. As a child of the 90's I understand the jokes, but I very much doubt that the target audience at the time did.

Crabmeat looks cute in this panel.
WmXGOCz.png

d9tRNN1.png

In the back-up story Snively(first real appearance)comes up with a device that will shrink people though it only last for one hour.
Sonic and the freedom fighters break one of Robotnik's rules(no music). Robotnik uses Snively's device on the freedom fighters and shrinks them. He than tries to suck them up with a vacuum that has a built in roboticizer. Just when it looks like Robotnik is going to win Snively's device wears off(fast hour), and the freedom fighters drive off Robotnik by playing some music.

WF5x6zv.png

Another meh issue.

3 hours ago, Spinneret said:

WF5x6zv.png

Actually, that "sax-cymbal" joke is so dumb it always gets me off guard thus makes me laugh out loud.

Kind of "comedy gold" I guess... :rolleyes: Yeah, it's (dumb)2 but it's practically so dumb it's hilarious.

• Nice Smile 1

I think it's her knee? Maybe?

OwOWhatsThis.png.5e8ef7c69c5d19f46125a5c285c81690.png

Everyone seems to have their legs in weird positions in that panel, but Amy's dress makes it look more like... yeah.

• Thumbs Up 6

This is the Little Mermaid knee all over again... gee. :rolleyes:

Though I thought her feet were about on the same level, that'd be the road they're standing on... If that's the case she's having hard time to keep her balance like that... :D

So what was every ones favorite era of comic covers . For me 25 and post after it where some great ones. Issue. 100 to like 112 where bad? Hard to recall. I loved 125 and the few after it. And them the magazine styled ones

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, RLS Legacy said:

Amy's boner will never not be hilarious and it's a damn shame Archie edited it out of their reprints.

• Nice Smile 1

Issue 9.
Using all of the data that he has on Sonic, Dr Robotnik creates a robot version of Sonic called Pseudo Sonic.
Meanwhile the real Sonic is picking flowers for Sally, but ends up accidentally getting exposed to poison sumac.
40wXCKT.png
Antoine mistakes Pseudo Sonic for the real Sonic and lets him into Knothole Village.
Pseudo Sonic starts to tell Robotnik where Knothole is but Tails stops him by running in a circle around Pseudo Sonic.
Robotnik has been triangulating the area of Pseudo Sonic's last transmission and comes across the weaken Sonic, but Bunnie saves him from Robotnik.

Meh story. Sonic never even meets Pseudo Sonic.

Back-up story.
Sonic's picking flowers for Sally's birthday and a Mobian Needle Bird falls on his head. Sonic names the bird Thorny and decides to give him to Sally as a gift.Sally thinks that it could be another animal that Robotnik has booby trapped. To make matters worst Thorny eats Sally's birthday cake.
Sally goes the forrest to pick some berries to make more birthday cake, and Sonic goes to return Thorny to his nest. Just then Sonic hears Sally scream. She has been grabbed by one of Robotnik's robots that was disguised as a tree. Sonic and Thorny save her. Afterwards Sally names Thorny an honorary member of the freedom fighters(Thorny will never appear in the book again.

Also there's a one page comic about a badnik so scary that Robotnik orders it destroyed.
CcGXQcQ.png

Just another boring issue.