Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Flynn obviously made Archie Sonic way better, but I have hard time picking my favorite stories. Every big arc had some annoying flaws.

My personal top would be

1 Sonic Universe #1: Metal AND Shadow. Woo. And Marine! (what?  I liker her, she's funny). Action, comedy, some food for though. Perfect self contained 1 issue story

2 Treasure team Tango: Sooo many characters, so many interaction, sooo much fun.

3 Silver Saga: I never though suspected fighting one guy for 4 issue can be so fun. Plenty of great imaginery, Dark Energack looks awesome, and that page in first part. Little extra I found in the internet makes them even better http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Mobius_-_Knuckles'_Descent

4 Championship: Would be even higher, but I find last part slightly disappointing. "Diana Skelly" is all the explanation why this arc was good. Add Breezie, Honey and Metal Sonic and it's DAMN good.

5 Knuckles VS Protoman: Everything both crossovers should be in 5 pages

6 Panic in the Sky, ONLY part 1: The scope and speed in this story was amazing. If only next parts kept up (instead of pushing half of enemies on the side and slowing pace to a crawl) it could been best story yet.

50 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Flynn obviously made Archie Sonic way better, but I have hard time picking my favorite stories. Every big arc had some annoying flaws.

Yeah it's almost like no writer is completely flawless and hoping for some God tier epic with every arc is setting unrealistic standards or something. Not specifically calling you out here MetalSkullBane but it seems like people in general have some pretty ridiculous standards for a Sonic Comic.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah it's almost like no writer is completely flawless and hoping for some God tier epic with every arc is setting unrealistic standards or something. Not specifically calling you out here MetalSkullBane but it seems like people in general have some pretty ridiculous standards for a Sonic Comic.

I don't think MetalSkullBane was expecting a "God tier epic". It's not a ridiculous standard either. (who decides on this "standard" anyway?). There there are writers who has their strength making up their flaws so the readers don't mind, while there are others with good parts but a major flaw that ruins the experience. Even in the standard of the subject.

I do think Ian has some flaws in his writing that occasionally ruins the fun, both Sonic and non-Sonic. Doesn't mean he sucks. But shouldn't be dismissed by "it's a Sonic comic" or "no writer is flawless". 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Btw, don't forget you can show support for Mr. Flynn through the Bumblekast, where you can either be a patron or just send in questions through your email or twitter.

If you would like your question answered on the show, submit it by:
• posting it on our Patreon, where you can also buy priority status in the queue.
• emailing it to BumbleKast@yahoo.com
• asking it on Twitter to @IanFlynnBKC and/or @KyleJCrb with #BumbleKast

Apparently, they've started to run a little low on questions, so feel free to add many more!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, well... I've postponed my opinion for long enough, I suppose. -_-

I'm not done yet deciding which stuff I like the most since I enjoy stories most of time anyway. I suppose I could start with few though:

"House of Cards"; I did like it and still I do. My opinion is it would've been interesting to see the subject combed as thorough as Mr. Flynn first considered (at least that's the picture I got from one of those BumbleKast episodes, the editor thought otherwise though it seems). I dunno, I found it interesting, but some more issues could've given some time for making the... "dénouement" (another French loanword English?) feel a tiny bit more natural I think. Or maybe guys just get the steam out of their systems that much easier...

I dunno why, but somehow I managed to actually enjoy that "M30YL" storyarc in Sonic Universe. Oi, stop throwing those pointy things, it hurts!

I have no everloving idea why I'm so different when it comes to this one arc compared to many of you guys but well... I kinda dig it.

Most of that XXYL stuff is a bit too thick for me to chow down though I admit. It goes a bit too down that "everything's perfectly peaceful" road I suppose... in a way that makes it a bit off when talking in context at least.

The last I can come up with right now is that "Iron Dominion" storyarc. Yes, I liked that one too. I said from the start I can dig many of these stories at least on some (probably) crazy way. I'm just that curious case and curious person...

• Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, BlueSky said:

"House of Cards"; I did like it and still I do. My opinion is it would've been interesting to see the subject combed as thorough as Mr. Flynn first considered (at least that's the picture I got from one of those BumbleKast episodes, the editor thought otherwise though it seems).

Maybe the editor was afraid that was too "old style," i.e. the "furry soap opera" stuff they were trying to get away from with the new direction Flynn was a part of.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just finished Champions Part 4. It was alright but I felt it was underwhelming, especially because I was expecting the Freedom Fighters to battle Team Hooligan. Also, is it just me or are the issues getting shorter in page numbers?

I'm glad that Ian seems to be alright. That'll be some nice closure for me since I don't really have much of a desire to collect more than one comic series. I've got like 7 binders of just Sonic comics and when IDW starts up I'm gonna need more. I wish him luck on his future endeavors.

Archie could drown in the Riverdale for all I care but that doesn't mean all their talent has to sink with them. 

• Nice Smile 1

I was trying to catch up on what I'd miss several months ago through certain means, but unfortunately they have been rendered null. So I'm afraid I'll have to pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Lost Hedgehog Tales:

With recent events I’m getting a fair number of folks asking about the timetable for “Lost Hedgehog Tales.” The short answer is: no time soon. Now that you’re good and mad/disappointed, the long answer:

#1 – Legal Concerns: Many folks have been kind enough to point out that the most recent publicly known legal matter has ended with the case thrown out. That’s true, but there’s also the possibility the plaintiff will appeal the decision, starting the mess all over again. I’m in no position to ask about it, so for now it’s a waiting game to see if that storm has actually passed.

#2 – IDW: The Sonic license moving to IDW is very cool, but it brings up a ton of new questions. IDW is famous for bringing back and completing older runs of fan-favorite franchise books when they can. Does this mean I can maybe one day finish my post-reboot plans? Does it mean I might one day finish my pre-reboot plans? I have no ideas. But the possibility, even if it’s infinitesimally small, now exists. And it’s entirely too early to predict whether or not it might happen. “Lost Hedgehog Tales” could, potentially, derail that. And if sitting on the project now means we actually get to see it as a comic later? I think it’s totally worth waiting a few more years. And if not? If it just takes a while to make sure those will never happen and I’m in the clear? Then so be it.

#3 – Other Stuff: There’s other things floating around in the background that I can’t talk about. Some of it I’m not even fully aware of since I’m just the writer; a small part of a much bigger mechanism. But there are other potential pitfalls and issues that make me wary of getting into “Lost Hedgehog Tales” right now.

I understand that this is frustrating for a lot of people. It’s frustrating for me too. When I announced the project, I thought it would be a simple kind gesture and we could all move on. But nothing in life is simple. Once again I appreciate everyone’s patience with this. It will happen. I just don’t have a lot of control over when.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

45 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Well, I kind of saw this coming, and the reasons are good enough for me. Understandable, though that talk about years sounds a bit scary... well at least it wasn't decades...

Also props for the wordchoice "infinitesimally". I like that word a lot. :D

I honestly didn't think IDW being able to continue the pre-reboot timeline was even a remote possibility...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

It's probably not, hence why Ian used the term infinitesimally small. They'd have to clear up all the legal fallout from Penders to even think about going back there, and they're not going to do that. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Honestly, I'm glad Archie got a somewhat satisfying conclusion with "Panic In The Sky"...it felt like a very satisfying ending to the Reboot storyline(even if it was just an overly long Unleashed adaptation) and like all stories, had to end sometime.  We're in a new era and I look forward to what Ian has to give us under the IDW brand.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

I honestly didn't think IDW being able to continue the pre-reboot timeline was even a remote possibility...

Yeah, me neither.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

#2 makes me pretty hopeful, honestly. I don't like false hope, but IDW is more than aware of how people feel about the Archie continuity and how unceremoniously it was ended, so hopefully its continued eventually.

I wouldn't hold out for a preboot continuation, though.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

What Flynn said makes me hopeful. Not too much, I'm 100% prepare that we'll never get  that damned LHT, I won't be for lookout or anything. Just leave a possibility that we might get the comic back.

But just to be sure: how often IDW resurrected the old continuities? I remember only hearing about few Transformers continuities, mainly G1.

• Nice Smile 1

21 hours ago, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

They have a continuation of Larry Hama's Marvel GI Joe Run that's still running alongside their own original GI Joe continuity. Plus Simon Furman was able to give Marvel Transformers a send off series. So there's always a chance IDW could finish Archie Sonic somewhere down the line.

Personally I still think he should adapt some of those standalone issues Archie solicited into the IDW Continuity.

• Thumbs Up 2

Aside from the issues that never saw the light of day, what would there be to finish in the new world? It's not like Sonic can defeat Eggman forever.

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Aside from the issues that never saw the light of day, what would there be to finish in the new world? It's not like Sonic can defeat Eggman forever.

Clove and Cassia’s predicament, Silver finding Gold again, and maybe more adaptations.

• Thumbs Up 2

-Silver, Gold and Von Schlemmer

-Eclipse

-Bunnie and Antoine's backstories

-Eggman's Lost Hex plot

-Filling in all the gaps pre-252

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, Razule said:

Nicole being fixed after nearly frying her systems in her Overclocked form

The business with Antoine's new archnenemy in his homeland

The mystery regarding Bunnie's origins and heritage

Whatever was happening with Bow Sparrow and the Woodsland Kingsmen

Dulcy and maybe Cinder's destiny

Captain Metal and the Egg O War's potential comeback

Relic's work in Launch Base Zone

Eclipse and the Dark Arms' next move after escaping Angel Island

Agent Garnet's investigation of Dr. Snively

Nephthys and the Desert Raiders' plan for Shamar

Possible Spoiler: How Conquering Storm was apparently gonna handle learning about the paralyzing cybernetics issue  

Tundra and Ahklut's rekindled feud

Maw's plans for the Mobini(maybe), the Roboticizer, and Foreman Tasselboy

Wendy's search for the Cacophonic Conch

Captain Shellbreaker's intention for vengeance against Abyss

Silver, Gold, Von Schlemmer, and the Bits' whereabouts after getting swallowing by a Genesis Portal.

The fate of the Council(I don't immediately recall what the Second Devourer did with him).

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1