Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Here's a random thought I had: how many instances have there been throughout the series where story titles have been recycled?

I can think of three, the most recent one that only occurred to me was "Consequences": the name of the lead story in Sonic #197, and later the backup story of #263.

The other two I've noticed for a long time and are weirdly coincidental in a lot of ways: the titles "Family Matters" and "Thicker Than Water", which were not only used twice each but both times were back to back.

First there was the Sonic #88 lead story "Family Matters", and then in the very next issue, #89, the lead story was "Thicker Than Water". Flash forward a decade and we get the two-part lead story "Family Matters" in #215-#216. Then in #217 begins the lead two-parter titled, you guessed it, "Thicker Than Water".

Here's another crazy coincidence related to one of those titles: as many of you probably know, "Family Matters" was also the name of the American sitcom starring former Sonic voice Jaleel White. How long did the show last? 215 episodes.

Another thing: the latter stories with the "Family Matters" and "Thicker Than Water" titles were originally intended to be published in reverse order (TTW first and FM second). They were swapped around so TTW wouldn't clash with SU's Tails Adventure arc, as both stories featured Bunnie.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

"Panic in the Sky" was also previously used as a title in the Sonic & Knuckles special, and more recently as the title for the SWC's final arc.

24 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

First there was the Sonic #88 lead story "Family Matters", and then in the very next issue, #89, the lead story was "Thicker Than Water". Flash forward a decade and we get the two-part lead story "Family Matters" in #215-#216. Then in #217 begins the lead two-parter titled, you guessed it, "Thicker Than Water".

Here's another crazy coincidence related to one of those titles: as many of you probably know, "Family Matters" was also the name of the American sitcom starring former Sonic voice Jaleel White. How long did the show last? 215 episodes.

Another thing: the latter stories with the "Family Matters" and "Thicker Than Water" titles were originally intended to be published in reverse order (TTW first and FM second). They were swapped around so TTW wouldn't clash with SU's Tails Adventure arc, as both stories featured Bunnie.

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 3

"Friend in Deed" is technically another example. First in StH#66 (as "A Friend in Deed"), then in StH#204 (as just "Friend in Deed")

• Thumbs Up 5

Reused Titles are an unfortunate thing in long running series. Power Rangers has 2 episodes titled "Something's Fishy" for example. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I dunno if it's too unfortunate though, I mostly find it just amusing.

It's fun to see same titles work as finely as others from different angles.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, DabigRG said:

Fixed.

Yeh, those were posted several months ago and the artist also shared concept art of Null Mind there as well as Cortez.

It's Nice to see Blaze be treated well.

12 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

It's Nice to see Blaze be treated well.

Eh.

Nice to see she almost got herself a villain that wasn't Pirate-themed and was even pulling a partial reversal on what Silver did with Dr. Nega(which I liked).

It also would've been great to see Marine get some nice air(or should I say water?) and Gardon be active. Though I have to wonder if the latter made it out okay..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, DabigRG said:

Eh.

Nice to see she almost got herself a villain that wasn't Pirate-themed and was even pulling a partial reversal on what Silver did with Dr. Nega(which I liked).

It also would've been great to see Marine and Gardon get some nice air(or should I say water?). Though I have to wonder if the latter made it out okay..

Oh yeah, was it ever shown what happened to him.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Oh yeah, was it ever shown what happened to him.

I'm looking through the pages now and I'm assuming(and hoping) he simply got possesed by Null Mind.

So funnest moments take 2. This Legendary play! Perfect casting.

5a827a397b1c8_BigCosplay.png.1d3dd86f93808d53ccb016865c8af978.png

5a827a4b8cee5_SonicPlay.thumb.png.efeb69ccb8d2b70d32bc4a4dd1b1337f.png

I'd post Roter as Tails but post limits, plus this banter does all the work for me.

and of course Knuckles as Sal:

5a827a5a6ce11_KnucklesCosplay2.thumb.png.9fef30d6bf802d7f49bee8eb261f31de.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Tracy Yardley is posting all the pencilled pages of #291 over the next few weeks. Page 1 is available to anyone, but the other pages are for $5 and up Patrons. 

:)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Tracy Yardley is posting all the pencilled pages of #291 over the next few weeks. Page 1 is available to anyone, but the other pages are for $5 and up Patrons. 

Hide contents

:)

Oh, you friggin tease!

But yeah, I just saw that myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Cuz said:

So funnest moments take 2. This Legendary play! Perfect casting.

5a827a397b1c8_BigCosplay.png.1d3dd86f93808d53ccb016865c8af978.png

5a827a4b8cee5_SonicPlay.thumb.png.efeb69ccb8d2b70d32bc4a4dd1b1337f.png

I'd post Roter as Tails but post limits, plus this banter does all the work for me.

and of course Knuckles as Sal:

5a827a5a6ce11_KnucklesCosplay2.thumb.png.9fef30d6bf802d7f49bee8eb261f31de.png

Which issue was this from? 

Alrighty, there's been more pages of StH#291 put up, so I'm going to sum up the events so far as best I can. No pics because that's not fair to Tracy. 

Page 1: Sonic and Tails are running through Hidden Palace Zone. You've seen this page.

Page 2: Tails stops suddenly. Sonic wonders why and Tails points out the mural. They hear a voice (presumably), and while Tails is frightened Sonic is prepared. 

Page 3: Reveal - It's Knuckles. He walks up to them and Sonic opens the fight with a spin dash into him. He blocks it. 

Page 4: More fighting. It's very back and forth. 

Page 5: Tails tries to contribute to the fight, but Knuckles grabs him, spins him by a tail and throws him into Sonic. Sonic is concerned for Tails' health, but Tails says (well, "says", no dialogue remember) that he's fine. 

Page 6: Knuckles prepares to attack them again, but there's a rumble in the cave and Knuckles runs off to find out what happened. He comes to the Master Emerald altar and Eggman's right there, stealing the Master Emerald!

And that's as far as it goes right now.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

• 2 weeks later...

My internet may be terrible for the next 11 days, but I still insist on this story time for the rest of #291!

Page 7: Knuckles looks on the sight, as Sonic and Tails seem to sympathise with him. Then Sonic makes some sort of smarmy comment, prompting Knuckles to attack Eggman. While he's dealing with that, Sonic and Tails look to inspecting the Chaos Emeralds at the shrine. 

Page 8: Eggman wastes no time in getting out his current tentacles and electrocuting Knuckles, knocking him to the ground. Sonic and Tails are concerned for him, but Eggman fires a missile barrage, breaking the ground and sending all three through the hole it makes.

Page 9: Sonic and Tails gather their bearings and look around at the damage caused. They see Knuckles getting up from under some rubble and reach out to him. Knuckles seems to rebuke this, which Sonic seems unimpressed by. 

Page 10: After looking down for a brief second (possibly to reflect on the situation and change his mind about not helping them), Knuckles points out a nearby wall to Sonic, which perplexes Sonic. Knuckles punches through it, and leads Sonic and Tails down a secret teleport behind the broken wall. All three go up it.

Page 11: They pop out at Sky Sanctuary Zone, with the sight of the Death Egg looming ominously over it. Sonic notices that Knuckles is still next to the teleport behind them, but when he asks about him coming along, he insists they go ahead while he stays there (or at least, that's what it looks like, and that's what happened in the game). Sonic runs into the zone proper, Tails trails while waving Knuckles goodbye.

Page 12: There's a montage of Sonic and Tails going through the level. Tails is a bit uneasy on the rotating wheels, Sonic takes the crumbling platforms with ease, they both chase down an EggRobo harassing some Flickies, Tails laughs as Sonic gets thrown for a loop by a cloud, but he manages to get up the vine smoothly. 

Page 13: As they get close to the spiral path that leads to the Death Egg, the Egg Mobile with wrecking ball shows up to stop them. Sonic gets a good look at it (while not showing the pilot), and he and Tails manage to spin-jump the chain of the ball off. The Egg Mobile then brings out the decoy shield.

Page 14: Tails attacks the decoys, leaving the Egg Mobile open for Sonic to attack. The Egg Mobile is brought down, but Sonic is shocked as out walks the pilot. It's not Eggman, but Mecha Sonic!

Page 15: Sonic and Tails have a little back and forth about the new robot, but Mecha Sonic interjects with a spin-dash slicing between the two. This starts another fight scene, where we see Mecha Sonic dashing, Sonic spin-jumping ahead and Tails dodging. 

Page 16: Sonic strikes Mecha Sonic, giving Tails the opportunity to strike as well. Mecha Sonic tries to grab Tails, but this unintentional distraction lets Sonic strike again, and Tails spin-jumps Mecha Sonic's face into the dirt. 

Page 17: Sonic and Tails look over the now-felled Mecha Sonic, then they look up and realise that the place is collapsing. Sonic points out the one pillar still in tact, and Sonic and Tails start to run up it as it too begins to crumble. Mecha Sonic is shown falling with the rubble. 

Page 18: The entire page shows them run up the pillar, Tails getting more and more anxious as the crumbling ground gains ground on him. They barely make the jump from the pillar to the outside of the Death Egg. 

Page 19: Sonic pulls Tails up and they inspect the ground below. They then do that bro-clasp thing which I don't know the name of. Knuckles is shown gliding away from the Death Egg in a wooded area. Bricks from Sky Sanctuary are shown falling into the sea, although some of it, along with Mecha Sonic's body, are shown to have landed on a nearby beach area instead. 

Page 20: Sonic and Tails are running through Death Egg Zone (Sonic on the floor, Tails on the ceiling) as they encounter a Spike Bomber with a Chainspike in the background.

The end. I've gotta say, this arc is...inconsistent.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

• 2 weeks later...

You know what's BULLSHIT?

Confusion between SatAM and Pre-Reboot Archie, that's what's bullshit!

There is CLEARLY a difference in universes if you read closely.

Like, in SatAM, Uncle Chuck was Roboticized when Sonic was about 5. In Archie, Chuck was Roboticized when Sonic was 15, thus being one of many examples that SatAM and Archie are not in the same universe.

I once read a Game and SatAM crossover fanfic. At least, it CLAIMED to be SatAM! It had many of the things SatAM had, mashed together with the characters of Pre-Reboot Archie! That's not SatAM! That's what you get when you put the two in a blender!

And that's bullshit.

WGwvuE.jpg

I've personally never seen people make that confusion.

At the same time, I see nothing wrong with fusing elements in fan fiction.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2

I'll admit anachronisms are a pet-peeve of mine, like plenty of people make a case like: Amy should of been in SatAM over Sally, but I'm pretty sure the show's development was well underway before Amy's official debut in CD, or like how the old Zelda cartoon could never hope to resemble OoT-era Zelda but that's what everyone compares it to. I wouldn't jump down anyone's throat about it though.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2