Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Who were your favorite member(s) of each team/group?

2 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

You know what's BULLSHIT?

Confusion between SatAM and Pre-Reboot Archie, that's what's bullshit!

There is CLEARLY a difference in universes if you read closely.

Like, in SatAM, Uncle Chuck was Roboticized when Sonic was about 5. In Archie, Chuck was Roboticized when Sonic was 15, thus being one of many examples that SatAM and Archie are not in the same universe.

I once read a Game and SatAM crossover fanfic. At least, it CLAIMED to be SatAM! It had many of the things SatAM had, mashed together with the characters of Pre-Reboot Archie! That's not SatAM! That's what you get when you put the two in a blender!

And that's bullshit.

Okay, take it easy there, Al Gore.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I'll admit anachronisms are a pet-peeve of mine, like plenty of people make a case like: Amy should of been in SatAM over Sally, but I'm pretty sure the show's development was well underway before Amy's debut in CD, or like how the old Zelda cartoon could never hope to resemble OoT-era Zelda but that's what everyone compares it to. I wouldn't jump down anyone's throat about it though.

Or how Rotor shouldn't exist because Tails [later] tinkers with gadgets.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

That's a pretty broad order but...

Of the Freedom Fighters Bunnie's always been a personal favorite. Great use of the robotizing concept, fun southern brawler; kind of like Rogue with Ms. Marvels power set. I'm gonna miss her the most.

Of the Chaotix, in the comics as well as the games, it's Vector, the karma collector swore to fight for you, I've also liked his design and in the modern era how he's more astute than he often acts. I don't think he got much to do in Archie come to think of it, other than get into arguments with Julie-Su, those were fun. Whatever history he had in downunda was expunged pretty much right as it was hinted at.

The Egg-Legion? Uncle Beau, of course being a Bunnie fan I'm going to go for the character with reliance to her. He's just making the best of a bad situation. Oh, and I hate Jack Rabbit of the Sandblast Freedom Fighters so knowing Beau was giving him Hell was... cathartic.

The Fearsome Foursome/Destructix? Lightning Lynx purely because he turned out to be a ninja and opened the way for the Iron Dominion, and the four houses of the Dragon Kingdom. That was definitely one of Ian's best twists in my opinion.

Best Super Form? Turbo Tails, but no one ever drew him right after his first appearance. Whatever happened to that blue cloak with the hood? That dinky Superman cape ain't cutting it!

Vector being pegged as Downunda and faking a Bronx accent was dumb because Vector does not, and should not, follow that stereotype. It's not like alligators where they're pretty much only found in America (save a tiny handful in China), Crocodile are ubiquitous all over the place, and have as much viability in Africa and Asia as Australia. There's even crocodiles in America. 

Even if there weren't, there's just the fact that Sonic characters have never been ones to follow the nationality of their species, just whatever the creators feel like making them. That's how we get Central American-themed Echidnas, an Australian-accented Raccoon, a Honey Badger in the jungle, a Japanese-cultured Chameleon...I could go on, but the point is that if the games says that Vector is themed like a Bronx detective, then he's a Bronx detective. He's not secretly anything else. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Man, that shifted.

In Satam (I'm sorry Nate) it was Bunnie, because cool cyborg, fancy accent and underused. I still liked her in early Archie, but now I had to read that accent and maybe it's cause I'm not English Born Speaker, but that was somites a pain ;p.
Speaking of accents. Antoine slowly replaced her. I hated him in Satam (sorry again Nate), so I really appreciated seeing him grow, like when punched Geoffrey in the face.
#50-160 is a haze of indifference, but under Flynn wings Nicole beat all of them. AI learning to be sentient is a old swan, but it just kinda worked.
(I was always okay-ish with Sally and I never meet a single Rotor fan. I don't hate the guy, don't love, just acknowledge his existence.)

Knux and Shadow are obvious favorite of their respective team and I don't care about anyone else. Only other FF group I liked were Sand Blasters and Jack the Rabbit, for being amazingly terrible person.

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, take it easy there, Al Gore.

I was parodying Cinemassacre's "You Know What's BULLSHIT?" videos.

• Nice Smile 1

10 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Vector being pegged as Downunda and faking a Bronx accent was dumb because Vector does not, and should not, follow that stereotype. It's not like alligators where they're pretty much only found in America (save a tiny handful in China), Crocodile are ubiquitous all over the place, and have as much viability in Africa and Asia as Australia. There's even crocodiles in America.

Still I would of liked to see his history run a little deeper than: "Knux found me putzing around the bog one day, and he ain't kicked me off the island yet..."

12 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Even if there weren't, there's just the fact that Sonic characters have never been ones to follow the nationality of their species, just whatever the creators feel like making them. That's how we get Central American-themed Echidnas, an Australian-accented Raccoon, a Honey Badger in the jungle, a Japanese-cultured Chameleon...I could go on, but the point is that if the games says that Vector is themed like a Bronx detective, then he's a Bronx detective. He's not secretly anything else. 

Stereotype or not, lets not forget that the accent was tied into a way that actually fit the narrative - and not shoehorned in because Croc = Aussie.

Angel Island actually came from the Downunda region. The giant crater it left behind is smack dab in the heart of the outback. A good handful of the natives of Knuckles hunk of rock were historically transplanted right out of their home turf. Dingo's run rampant up there for a reason. It makes sense that Vector would, either himself or be a decedent of, that part of the world when you follow the comics timeline.

Furthermore, the accent thing was meant as a way to add to Vector's backstory and give him more of a conflict with other satellite characters. It was done with the intention of Vector eventually having to come back and face his past... something that we obviously we will never get to see what they had planned for that.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Stereotype or not, lets not forget that the accent was tied into a way that actually fit the narrative - and not shoehorned in because Croc = Aussie.

Angel Island actually came from the Downunda region. The giant crater it left behind is smack dab in the heart of the outback. A good handful of the natives of Knuckles hunk of rock were historically transplanted right out of their home turf. Dingo's run rampant up there for a reason. It makes sense that Vector would, either himself or be a decedent of, that part of the world when you follow the comics timeline.

Furthermore, the accent thing was meant as a way to add to Vector's backstory and give him more of a conflict with other satellite characters. It was done with the intention of Vector eventually having to come back and face his past... something that we obviously we will never get to see what they had planned for that.

Agreed.

Also, anyone else think his, Barby's, and Bill's "old man" was Athair?

I still don't really buy it when the characters are so mobile. Remember that in this time frame Ian also introduced the idea that the Shinobi Clan had been sending agents up to Angel Island for a good while, at least long enough for Valdez to be watching over Locke, so it's not like access and travel was that big a deal. He could have come from anywhere and got up there. It's also not as if Downunda didn't already have a sub-plot for conflict, in the shape of Bill and the Platypus problem. 

I think what also hurt it is that it had nothing in the way of foreshadowing, it was just forced into the Knuckles Returns arc as another plot thread despite there being so many going on already, and I guess as a way of having something for Espio to have dirt on in #212. Which for my money is pretty clunky. 

Also as a little note I think the mandate being enforced killed any possibility of revisiting it, not the reboot. Even if the pre-reboot universe had kept going, I'd reckon they couldn't expand it anyway. 

9 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I still don't really buy it when the characters are so mobile. Remember that in this time frame Ian also introduced the idea that the Shinobi Clan had been sending agents up to Angel Island for a good while, at least long enough for Valdez to be watching over Locke, so it's not like access and travel was that big a deal. He could have come from anywhere and got up there. 

I think what also hurt it is that it had nothing in the way of foreshadowing, and I guess as a way of having something for Espio to have dirt on in #212. Which for my money is pretty clunky. 

Hm, fair point.

25 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

It's also not as if Downunda didn't already have a sub-plot for conflict, in the shape of Bill and the Platypus problem. 

I think what also hurt it is that it had nothing in the way of foreshadowing, it was just forced into the Knuckles Returns arc as another plot thread despite there being so many going on already,

Going back to that arc makes me a little sad.

10 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I was parodying Cinemassacre's "You Know What's BULLSHIT?" videos.

Okay, but you literally did that out of nowhere without any of the context.

People were going to be confused and done a frighten, Sarge. 

Oh wow, some people are talking about the Downunda Fighters. They were pretty fun for what very little they got to do in the books. I would have liked to see them be on more involved adventures but they didn't have much going for them besides being Aussie animals. 

7 hours ago, Cuz said:

Still I would of liked to see his history run a little deeper than: "Knux found me putzing around the bog one day, and he ain't kicked me off the island yet..."

There actually was a story showing how they first met during the period where Knuckles was Chaos Syphoned to death by Mammoth Mogul.

Okay, well, I'm more used to see SatAM guys getting agitated over stuff like that, but well, I suppose parodies of Cinemassacre never hurts.

Well, fanfics are fanfics but of course it would be awesome if the writers were to tell all of their veils of inspirations if they start to name any so people wouldn't get confused and start to argue about stuff that isn't really arguable since it's a misunderstanding more than anything.

On 14.3.2018 at 3:03 AM, Cuz said:

I'll admit anachronisms are a pet-peeve of mine, like plenty of people make a case like: Amy should of been in SatAM over Sally, but I'm pretty sure the show's development was well underway before Amy's official debut in CD, or like how the old Zelda cartoon could never hope to resemble OoT-era Zelda but that's what everyone compares it to. I wouldn't jump down anyone's throat about it though.

Oh, for the love of, I don't just get that. Is it that hard to find Sonic X from somewhere really? :D

But seriously, I remember people arguing the "red eyes" were Metal Sonic's but I think it's fair to assume that the Naugus possibility is a whole lot larger, considering all the things said and done on the Internet. At least that was intended I suppose.

I just dunno what's the big deal about having things differ from the games, especially if the games hadn't defined anything comparable at that point. Only problem I have is the way some corps seem to handle stuff like this, I'm still baffled how this is possible, really...

---

Accents. They're actually pretty funny.

Anyroad, I think nowt would make me bloody less understandable than throwing in summat like this, like.

Now that I've harassed few words with that sentence of a Frankenstein I can prolly say I find it pretty refreshing to read different accents, especially since they practically make me read the thing out loud since they manage to catch my eye in that way. Not that I wouldn't read any other parts anyway but well, it raises the chances. Though I need to confess, my tryings on "Antoinese" always end up getting too much pressure in the consonants for it to sound French. I think I should know for I did read the language in question for 9 years... They just make their language too thick and flexible for me to perfectly capture... Btw, try to drink something before making the French r, it could help a lot...

But yeah, watching ITV series might do wonders for ones word vocabulary I suppose. Blame Heartbeat for that one sentence. I just can't quite capture that o turns to u in a written form though...

And I suppose I've made it clear I do quite enjoy the FF, and who's especially my favourite character. If one hasn't noticed, ah, quel dommage!

Others than the FF; oh well, the more I think of it, the more it goes like "well I dig those characters that have a close relationship to them, and those that have relationships to those, and so on and so on..." I dunno, the city was filled with interesting characters I enjoyed but there're fine characters in other places as well. Gee!

Then again, I do have this one problem; I can't bring myself to hate characters easily.

Of course I have some that I really enjoy over others, but I think none of them are really something I'd hate as characters. Of course they have characteristics that annoy me and that I even hate, but that doesn't really make me automatically hate a character. It's kinda weird, but I think it's like I appreciate all characters for what they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like there's another wiping of Archie Sonic stuff, Amazon's lost a lot of their Kindle releases.

What remains is:

• Archives 24
  • Control 
  • Boom Volume 1 
  • Waves of Change
  • Silver Saga
  • Archives 23
  • Archives 22
  • Legacy Volume 3
  • Legacy Volume 4
  • Treasure Team Tango
  • Scourge Lockdown
  • Dark Mirror
  • Worlds Collide: Complete Saga 
  • Broken Bonds
  • House of Cards
  • Deadly Fusion
  • Boom Issue 6
  • Select 9
  • Sonic Comics Spectacular 
  • Evil Reborn 
  • Selects 8
  • Worlds Unite Battles Issue 1

I really wished in the archie run, Shadow and Team Dark was acknowledged by other characters like the freedom fighters in heroic pursuits, or at least as known as Sonic and Knuckles. Shadow really got demoted in the story as another minor player.

Only Sonic and Knuckles bothered to acknowledge that hes kinda a big deal like them, while others just had a meh reaction to him.

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

I really wished in the archie run, Shadow and Team Dark was acknowledged by other characters like the freedom fighters in heroic pursuits, or at least as known as Sonic and Knuckles. Shadow really got demoted in the story as another minor player.

Only Sonic and Knuckles bothered to acknowledge that hes kinda a big deal like them, while others just had a meh reaction to him.

To be fair, in the context of the comic, Shadow hadn't really been a hero for very long, was either a wild card and/or an enforcer of Dr. Eggman most of his page time, and Team Dark mainly did secretive, off to the side things for it's comparatively very brief tenure. Though I suppose the whole "Colliding Ark" situation could've done with some more recognition.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, in the context of the comic, Shadow hadn't really been a hero for very long, was either a wild card and/or an enforcer of Dr. Eggman most of his page time, and Team Dark mainly did secretive, off to the side things for it's comparatively very brief tenure. Though I suppose the whole "Colliding Ark" situation could've done with some more recognition.

I found most of Shadow's appearances random and forced in tone and in execution, you'd think Ian would develop him outside of being a GUN agent but all he did was a job that lead to nothing for his own position in the world and didn't really reach Sonic's level of rep and respect like the games portrayed him as. I also found many of his interactions with characters OOC and very cringe worthy, especially when he teams up with Sonic who is a outright jerk to him, Shadow doesn't take being insulted or ribbed on lighting in the source material so I found him and Sonic's portrayal highly out of place and too friendsly since Sonic never had any meaningful build up as friends like him and Tails or Knuckles. His arc with Eclispe was a romp of ooc forced writing with a contrived excused to have him and Knuckles fight.

Ian failed to stay true to the character and made Shadow pretty much a second game Knuckles in being an inconsistent mess. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.3.2018 at 4:21 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Looks like there's another wiping of Archie Sonic stuff, Amazon's lost a lot of their Kindle releases.

What remains is:

• Archives 24
  • Control 
  • Boom Volume 1 
  • Waves of Change
  • Silver Saga
  • Archives 23
  • Archives 22
  • Legacy Volume 3
  • Legacy Volume 4
  • Treasure Team Tango
  • Scourge Lockdown
  • Dark Mirror
  • Worlds Collide: Complete Saga 
  • Broken Bonds
  • House of Cards
  • Deadly Fusion
  • Boom Issue 6
  • Select 9
  • Sonic Comics Spectacular 
  • Evil Reborn 
  • Selects 8
  • Worlds Unite Battles Issue 1

That looks like the list of stuff that was up in GooglePlay after the first waves of purge, to be frank. Funny.

So I have been rereading the series. I literally started from issue 0 of the first 4 issue mini series. I am currently on issue no. 111. I have read all the super specials and knuckles series (yikes...), as well as the Tails, and Sally mini series. (Actually not too bad). 

I am a big fan of parts of the comics so far and I hate certain parts too. I loved the Endgame issues of course, and I really enjoyed the Sonic Adventure adaptation. I think overall the series so far has been good. Archie did well trying to tie the games in, but they also sucked at it too at times. Sonic Adventure 2 was for one issue only so far. I was so dissapointed when they didn't go further with it. I am sure later on in Sonic Universe it changes which I am excited for. 

Personally I hate the Knuckles stories. I used to not when he was first looking for Archimedes and when the Chaotix were missing. The Dark Legion was ok at first but then it got to well,  ya know that deep dark place Penders led it down. They should have stopped when Enerjak came back the 2nd time imo. A lot of the ideas were good but then it got a little out of hand later. Or really they should have ended the story after issue 25.

Anyways, can't wait to read more. I am pumped for 125, I remember it pretty well from the last time I read them. Interested to see what happens beyond that since I stopped after the Lost in Space era. I will probably do a little review after I am done.

Also is it me or do you want to see Spaz just illistrate every issue. That would be a dream.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember thinking Endgame was awesome when I first read it, but then all the plotholes and problematic shit started becoming clearer.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, GOAT said:

Also is it me or do you want to see Spaz just illistrate every issue. That would be a dream.

SPAZ was a beast. His attention to detail was just crazy. He and J. Axer down the line went quite a long way to make a lot of the other artists they shared space with look bad by proxy.

Shoot, the only other guys who I think could even stand up to him over the course of the book were Grey (who fully embraced his awesome and fun style) and E. Stanley right at the end.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, GOAT said:

Sonic Adventure 2 was for one issue only so far. I was so dissapointed when they didn't go further with it. I am sure later on in Sonic Universe it changes which I am excited for. 

Yep, issue #2.

Random observation: issue 275 is the only time that Super Sonic showed up in a landmark issue.

• Nice Smile 1

On 3/25/2018 at 2:46 PM, GOAT said:

So I have been rereading the series. I literally started from issue 0 of the first 4 issue mini series. I am currently on issue no. 111. I have read all the super specials and knuckles series (yikes...), as well as the Tails, and Sally mini series. (Actually not too bad). 

I am a big fan of parts of the comics so far and I hate certain parts too. I loved the Endgame issues of course, and I really enjoyed the Sonic Adventure adaptation. I think overall the series so far has been good. Archie did well trying to tie the games in, but they also sucked at it too at times. Sonic Adventure 2 was for one issue only so far. I was so dissapointed when they didn't go further with it. I am sure later on in Sonic Universe it changes which I am excited for. 

Personally I hate the Knuckles stories. I used to not when he was first looking for Archimedes and when the Chaotix were missing. The Dark Legion was ok at first but then it got to well,  ya know that deep dark place Penders led it down. They should have stopped when Enerjak came back the 2nd time imo. A lot of the ideas were good but then it got a little out of hand later. Or really they should have ended the story after issue 25.

Anyways, can't wait to read more. I am pumped for 125, I remember it pretty well from the last time I read them. Interested to see what happens beyond that since I stopped after the Lost in Space era. I will probably do a little review after I am done.

Just wait, brother. You're about to plunge headfirst into the dark ages of the book. I mean, the REALLY dark ages. Personally, I think the book started falling apart after the Sonic Adventure adaptation ended, got better for a while, and then dropped in quality like a rock before Ian took over.

As for Spaz, his work was downright phenomenal for a long time, though I feel that he too started losing his edge around issue 100 or so. His art started to look really sketchy and lanky for a while.

Spaz was definitely on his A game in the early days of the book, and maybe it's just me, but I love when the books are hit with mandated adaptions like Adventure. The team has to get real creative, real fast to make this thing, that's almost fundamentally different from what they've been building at, work at all.