Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Well, today's the one year anniversary of the cancellation of the Sonic comic from Archie Comics Publications. The cancellation not only lead to a cliffhanger in the Mega Drive 4-part special, but also lead to a cliffhanger in the new universe, as the old universe remains in a cliffhanger as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

28 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Well, today's the one year anniversary of the cancellation of the Sonic comic from Archie Comics Publications. The cancellation not only lead to a cliffhanger in the Mega Drive 4-part special, but also lead to a cliffhanger in the new universe, as the old universe remains in a cliffhanger as well.

Man, time surely flies by quickly when you think about it. I do miss the Archie series entirely to know what'll happen for the rest of the issues entirely. Still looking for those leaked Overdrive pages.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Actually I’d say the new universe ended pretty conclusively (GoaH notwithstanding). Sure there are still side plots that’ll never be elaborated on, but at least the shattered world saga got to end.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 2

I hope I'm not derailing the thread too much by basically posting little reviews of the issues I'm currently reading. It's just easier for me to do in small chunks, and because my browser tends to crash at inopportune times.

#160-#161: So, the start of a new era. Despite a fairly simple story, I'm actually really impressed how much Flynn either introduces or fixes about the past issues. The plot is pretty basic, it's Sonic's birthday, Robotnik sends Bean and Bark, and then a Crocbot to ruin his day, they defeat it, then Evil Sonic, who is now going by Scrouge, turns up and then runs away when he gets beat.

I think what I like is how much these 2 issues do though for the overal story. Evil Sonic causes angst between Sonic and the female Freedom Fighters because they think he is sleeping around from issue #150? Nah, he explained the situation and everyone now knows what happened, so everyone is cool. Tails was super pissed and upset about Sonic going behind his back to date Fiona? Nah, he's over it, he's good friends with Sonic again but still clearly has a crush on Fiona. What's Shadow up to? He's off to work for Robotnik, he and Sonic are having a friendly rivarly, and that he is thankful for Sonic by saving Hope.

We get alot of new stuff that helps set up for future events. We get some foreshadowing for Fiona about her dark past, and what that may mean for her future, which honestly makes her 10 times more interesting ever since she just suddenly randomly got promoted to being a primary character. The Freedom Fighters get their base back, which is a pretty cool callback to the early issues, and presumably will see the Freedom Fighters doing their own thing again, rather than constantly having to go through the King, I'm guessing.

We have Bark and Bean's introduction. (I think they've appeared before but not sure.) I like both, Bean is actually a very funny character with him basically being a little kid. It's cool how this is basically Team Hooligan, minus Nack just yet. We also have Evil Sonic become Scourge, which seems like a good move. I'm not sure what the plan for Evil Sonic was when he ran off with Rouge back in #151, but I guess this idea of turning him green was to stop anymore Sonic double plots, and make Evil Sonic less goofy. Nice set up for the 2 as well as they meet Dr Fitivus at the end of #161 for a future story.

I also really love the art for this as well, best art in years. I'm guessing it's a new artist they've brought in as well, I don't really follow the artist credits to be honest, but it looks great and the Sonic style is on point.

There is also a B story, which is a game adaptation, and good lord, when on enough was the last one? That half assed Sonic Adventure 2 one, from like 4-5 years ago? It's Sonic Rush, and we get Blaze, which is cool, she is one of my favourites. Makes you wonder how out of character she would of been if she turned up earlier, probably of had some angsty snogging with Sonic going by the past issues.

The adaptation is pretty loose, with it really just establishing Blaze, meeting and having a fight with Sonic, and her disappearing basically saying she'll be back for whatever story features her next. Think it's another new artist for the B story too, if not as good, a little bit stiff and the colouring seems a little off, but still more preferable to alot of the stuff in the last few years.

So wow, pretty promising intro for Ian Flynn's era. I look forward to reading the next 3 parter story. As a side note, is the Sonic X comic worth checking out, since ofcourse at this point the Sonic X comic is running concurently with the Sonic comic? Been years since I watched Sonic X, any thoughts?

• Nice Smile 2

Some Sonic X issues are fun, but the series doesn’t do anything particularly groundbreaking. The only major thing of note is the final issue: a brief crossover with the main comic which also leads directly into the first Universe issue.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Ah yes, I've heard of that about Sonic X #40. To be honest, I can barely remember Sonic X, does the comic follow on from when they were on Earth, or they in that season in space?

To be honest, I might as well check it out, considering how I will be reading basically all the other Archie Sonic comics anyway. Just not sure when I will get around to it, since aside from that crossover, it's its own thing.

13 minutes ago, silvereye27 said:

Ah yes, I've heard of that about Sonic X #40. To be honest, I can barely remember Sonic X, does the comic follow on from when they were on Earth, or they in that season in space?

To be honest, I might as well check it out, considering how I will be reading basically all the other Archie Sonic comics anyway. Just not sure when I will get around to it, since aside from that crossover, it's its own thing.

The comic is during the Earth stuff, with stories set at various points from just after the Chaos and Shadow sagas and up to before, and during, episode 50.

The first 10 or so issues have this thing going on where some of the stories serve as preludes to certain TV episodes (issues 8-11 serve as a lead-in to the Egg Moon saga, for instance), with basically every issue afterward being self-contained stuff with no direct ties to any of the TV stories.

Comic specific plot threads include, and are mostly limited to, Eggman’s on-again-off-again stint as “El Gran Gordo”, and the emergence of S.O.N.I.C.X., an organization of humans (all of whom previously showed up in the anime) who’s lives were indirectly ruined by Sonic and want revenge.

• Thumbs Up 5

OK, that sounds vaguely interesting, but honestly, I have so little memory of the anime, I feel like I'd need to rewatch it again to really get anything out of the comic. I'll probably read it eventually though.

The main things I remember about the Sonic X comics were: demonstrably lower stakes, and the biggest word balloons you ever saw in your life. I viewed it like a gag strip or slice-of-life most of the time. Even compared to the anime it lacks tension, but there is a charm to it. If you do skip it #40 happens in the space between #196-197. You'll get a good taste of it there. 

In other news you're already coming up on Darkest Storm! Easily one of my favorite arcs they ever did. :D

We have Bark and Bean's introduction. (I think they've appeared before but not sure.)

This is in fact their first proper introduction, discounting a one-panel cameo as cannon fodder for The Great War.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

On July 17, 2018 at 6:40 PM, silvereye27 said:

Well, some maybe, but I doubt most do. I think he avoids Amy because she can be overly clingy, and that being with her would restrict his freedom, which is perhaps the most important thing to Sonic. I don't think it means he doesn't like relationships in general, I think it just means he would only want a relationship that would accomodate his lifestyle.

I think it has more to do with Sega not wanting Sonic and Amy to be anything beyond teases rather than the result of Amy's personality, which is really no more different than how Eggman is destined to always loose. (Plus, for a franchise where the protagonist is a character who likes to run, it makes sense for the "love interest" to be a character who gives him chase)

Sure, there were game that totally did not make Amy justice with how her crush was awfully exagerated (Battle, Free Riders), but I don't think Amy should be judged as a whole based solely on those when some of the other games puts her as the only other characters that is as loyal as Tails, if not even more. Not to mention, some comics like IDW's second issue pretty much showcased where Amy stands in regards to Sonic's freedom as she actually supports Sonic's way of life, which is very important if you consider how at the start of Amy's story in Sonic Adventure, she too longs for a more exciting way of life, much like the one Sonic has.

Likewise, while Sonic is somewhat selfish about his freedom, I really do not like this idea that he only hangs with those who accomodate to his lifestyle as it makes him sound like a terrible kind of "friend" who only seeks one-sided interactions that only benefit him as if they were tools whose friendship/loyalty he can take for granted, something I believe would be an awful disservice to Sonic's character.

5 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

I think it has more to do with Sega not wanting Sonic and Amy to be anything beyond teases rather than the result of Amy's personality, which is really no more different than how Eggman is destined to always loose. (Plus, for a franchise where the protagonist is a character who likes to run, it makes sense for the "love interest" to be a character who gives him chase)

Its long since been confirmed that the powers that be consider the duo a game of cat and mouse that will never end. Doesn't mean that we can't poke and prod at the personalities and motivations that have been crafted around that particular mandate.

Sure, there were game that totally did not make Amy justice with how her crush was awfully exagerated (Battle, Free Riders), but I don't think Amy should be judged as a whole based solely on those when some of the other games puts her as the only other characters that is as loyal as Tails, if not even more.

Amy is a serious balancing act. For as bad as she was in games like Battle and Free Riders - you can also very easily springboard too far in the opposite direction. Sonic 06 is a good example, where her loyalty and tenacity got Sonic out of a tough jam. However her big line to Silver (Even if that were true, If I had to choose between the world or Sonic, I would choose Sonic) is the exact same problem on the other side of the spectrum. Its the same maniacal blind faith zeal we get out of her worst incarnations. Its thrown even further under the bus when Elise makes that sacrifice at the end of the game for the greater good.

Sega Amy is painted into a pretty rough corner in regards to her feelings toward Sonic.

Over in the comics, she's had a bit more luck developing in the late Archie run and early IDW, and I have to think a lot of that is due to how much her interest in Sonic has been pushed to the side. Rather than letting it be her defining trait, Flynn lets it take a backseat to her heroism and well natured spirit. It lets us judge Amy for what she is and what she can do, without being immediately blindsided by her endeavors for a relationship she technically cant have.

Likewise, while Sonic is somewhat selfish about his freedom, I really do not like this idea that he only hangs with those who accomodate to his lifestyle as it makes him sound like a terrible kind of "friend" who only seeks one-sided interactions that only benefit him as if they were tools whose friendship/loyalty he can take for granted, something I believe would be an awful disservice to Sonic's character.

I don't like any narrative that pushes the idea of Sonic not appreciating his friends, but I see where it comes from. He's always the first one to bail and whenever he is back its - long time no see - implying that he makes no effort to stay in touch. Then he just kind of expects everyone to fall into line, business as usual. For someone who spouts teamwork, he's remarkably aligned to doing things on his own accord.

I agree that its a disservice to Sonic's character, but its a self-inflicted wound.

Thats probably the most delicate balance for Sonic's character. (To be honest, I actually have to give props to Chronicles for tackling this issue head on in its first 5 min)

• Thumbs Up 1

Ray’s history in the pre-SGW timeline seems to have a huge gap in it, from what I can remember.

We first meet Ray in the Knuckles comic, in a series of Mighty back-up stories. The next time I remember seeing him after that is after Sonic’s year in space. But between those times? Nope, I got nothing.

Am I the only one who's kind of sad that thethey used the "Dead mother" trope for Sally's mom in the reboot comics? 

Am I the only one who's kind of sad that thethey used the "Dead mother" trope for Sally's mom in the reboot comics? 

6 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

That was kind of the point. It's rather common anyway.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

The thing is that Sally's mom at least had more of a character in the preboot comics.

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

The thing is that Sally's mom at least had more of a character in the preboot comics.

And you probably just answered your question there.

8 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Am I the only one who's kind of sad that they used the "Dead mother" trope for Sally's mom in the reboot comics? 

I'm pretty sad they did that too, as Alicia Acorn was a cool mother for Sally.

Rotor's dad in the post-SGW universe was abusive unlike his dad from the pre-SGW universe, which makes it sadder as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sally getting a dead mother was probably done for one of two reasons;

1. To avoid having to make a Sally mother who had to dodge around being too much like Alicia.

2. To better emulate the show, where Sally spoke about her father but never brought up her mother. 

I actually think the latter is a bit more likely given that Sabina (Dulcy's mother) was alive in the reboot when she died preboot. The other FFs had nothing mentioned in SatAM so Ian could do whatever he wanted with their folks. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 7/20/2018 at 12:12 AM, silvereye27 said:

I also really love the art for this as well, best art in years. I'm guessing it's a new artist they've brought in as well, I don't really follow the artist credits to be honest, but it looks great and the Sonic style is on point.

That birthday strory was a debut for Mr. Yardley as the pencils artist. You know, I think that's one more name that'd be good to remember, just my personal opinion though.

Gee I really loved the style he had around that time, say what you will about big hands but I don't mind those, I loved the expressions to death!

What else was on my mind now, let's see...

On 7/19/2018 at 9:05 PM, NiTROACTiVE said:

No wonder my Thursday was so freaking crappy, it was on par with that crappy day of all crappiness. Like that day was crappy enough without the Archie bomb, gee!

I have issues.

Not just Archie Sonic issues.

But seriously, get me a two-ways trip with some extra perks to that dimension where Archie Sonic kept on running and I'll bring some comics with me!

Trust me I'd feel a lot less depressed at that point.

9 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Rotor's dad in the post-SGW universe was abusive unlike his dad from the pre-SGW universe, which makes it sadder as well.

To be fair, it's not like we got much of anything from Sherman outside of that story where Jules got shot in the head.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

10 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Sherman might have been nicer, but Tundra was a lot more interesting IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

#162-164: The three parter The Darkest Storm is pretty interesting, and pretty good. Compared to the very upbeat birthday 2 parter last time, Darkest Storm is definetly a very different kindof story, with quite a lot of dark elements and TONS of continuity nods. I mean good lord, there must be a dozen plot points from over a decade's worth of comics utilised in this story, it is pretty impressive how the story doesn't collapse under the weight of all those references.

The basic story itself is simple, but with lots of depth in the details of the whole thing. Basically, Ixus Naugus and Mammoth Mogul both manage to escape their respective prisons, which leads to a 3 way fight with the Freedom Fighters over the House of Acorn artifacts that could lead to the winner ruling over the world. It turns out, in a pretty clever twist, that Mogul basically being so old actually created the order Naugus follows, and therefore pledges allegiance to Mogul, only for Eggman to come in and gun/teleport everyone, and taunt Sonic over the idea that he could of won due to how tired the FFs are from the fight, but won't because he wants it on his terms.

I mean, there is a lot I'm skimming over with that summary, but it is a pretty good way of moving the universe forward with how much happens. The Walkers are now dead, the House of Acorn Source thingy is destroyed, 2 big villians are now under Eggman's control, and this Anonmyous villian is shaping up to a big adversary to everyone as he uses ADAM to manipulate Eggman to kill off his servant M.

I must admit, I've never really taken to either Nausus or especially Mogul, but they are both handled well here, and really I'm interested to see how the aftermath of this affects the future.

There is also a Sonic Riders 2 part B story. Pretty basic tie-in to the game, with it ending on a cliffhanger as Sonic team fights the Babylon Rogues and encourages people to buy the game, but it is really cool to see the comic animated in the style of that game's animated intro.

#165: Pretty simple issue, continuing on from that cliffhanger from #161. Rouge is being interrogated by the FFs over her what happened, she basically reveals that Dr Fitivious is up to no good, and is planning something. Meanwhile Scourge and the other henchmen turn up, hold Tails and Fiona hostage, forcing Sonic to give them Rouge's warp ring and to further set up Fiona's conflict of being a past bad guy. Also Julie-Su gets something to do for the first time in like 5 years, and has a cat fight over Rouge about Knuckles, which is actually a nice bit of game continuity coming into the Archie stuff. A pretty good issue that is clearing helping foreshadow for something bigger in the future.

The B story is even more setting up things and foreshadowing, with Knuckles and his dad basically catching us up on what's going on with the Echidnas on Angel Island, with the dingo army causing problems, the Dark Legion in civil war with one side of the conflict in command of someone noone knows. Knuckles actually gets in a fight with his Dad over it, which is actually pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

#166-#167: So, the continuation of Mobius: 25 Years Later. The first M25YL storyline was perhaps the most Ken Penders storyline Ken Penders ever did. Lots of dialogue with it trying to sound smarter than it actually was, lots of angst and drama which didn't fit a children's comic, stuff that really had nothing to do with the games but more with Penders own ideas. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't very good, and honestly considering how many issues it lasted for, ableit as short B shorts, it felt aimless and overlong. Not to mention the notion that we should give a crap about sexual tension between Sonic and Knuckles kids, including a scene with Knuckles son making out with someone in a park.

Actually considering how that storyline ended on a cliffhanger on issue #144 and Penders final issue would be #159, it sortof begs the question what his plan was for M25YL considering how it had been over a year and no follow up, despite it ending on that cliffhanger of Sonic going to the past. You would of thought it would of meant a comic soon after about future Sonic arriving in the present to try and fix the future, or something along those lines, but instead the plot just disappears. If anyone knows anything about that, I'd love to hear about it.

So I guess when Flynn take over, he maybe thought he had to resolve M25YL? This does feel like a rushed conclusion considering what a slow burn M25YL has been so far, but then considering how this is Flynn resolving the cliffhanger of another writer's storyline, I guess I can't blame them. Honestly despite the rushed feeling of this, this is probably the best part of M25YL really.

Basically after Sonic went back and fixed the future (without us seeing what he ever did), the future has altered so that Shadow is a king of a dystopian future, with Sonic now homeless, his kids no longer existing, with only Tails, Knuckles and a few others being able to remember the previous timeline. Actually pretty cool of Tails to turn up in this, he was only mentioned in M25YL before with a panel showing him having a family with Mina. (Although in hindsight of Sonic having a relationship with Fiona, it makes you wonder if Tails went and got together with Mina out of spite at Sonic.)

Basically, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Knuckles' daughter manage to infiltrate Shadow's palace by pretending to be prisoners, then go up to fight him, with Sonic being too old and weak but Knuckles' daughter being able to use her guardian powers to defeat him, which ties nicely to all the stuff with her in previous M25YL. Sonic and Sally reconcoliate and have a happy ending, with Sonic suggesting having kids.

There are issues, the fact that Shadow is basically a full blown bad guy is a bit out of character, and the notion that Sonic's kids no longer exist is sortof breezed over, especially when he suggests having kids with Sally like he is fully over it. Not to mention there is also this little Penders thing I dislike with this idea that Sally's husband would basically be the one in charge, something that happens here with Sonic and Shadow, as well as issues #155-#156 with Evil Antoine, this notion that Sally would basically just give up power and just let her husband do the work is out of character to me. But again, considering how flawed (in my opinion) the original M25YL was, I think it is a good way to put an end to it. Plus it's cool to see Tails being confident and awesome.

I do know that there is a future sequel called Mobius: 30 Years Later but honestly I know nothing else about it, so interested to see when that comes up and how good it is. I actually love alternate timeline future stuff, so seeing it in the Flynn era properly should be fun.

2 B stories as well, #166 has a Chaotix tale with them and Rouge infiltrating a casino run by that rat guy who appeared in the Knuckles Chaotix special way back when which is a nice callback, and is basically a nice little flashback to the days of the Knuckles comic. #167 has a comic with Sonic having a birthday celebration (despite his last birthday being just 6 issues ago?) and that he keeps tripping and knocking himself out, leading to a Grounddog Day scenario. It's actually a funny comedy strip, I really like it when Sonic does the occasional comedic strip.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/21/2018 at 4:56 PM, RedFox99 said:

Well that was one of my favorite stories post-reboot so I can safely say it didn't bother me.

• Nice Smile 1

I've been tallying up my favorite stories from the book for like a top 10 list and I have so much love for Darkest Storm. It's what Ian does best, It brings up and briefly revels in the comic's history and the minutiae it's accumulated... before consolidating into a cleaner more modern/game Sonic friendly status quo. Ian was a master of collecting enough loose details, and minor, one-off characters, and making a DC Crisis level event of them and I don't think anything did that better than Darkest Storm.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 2