Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

So here's an odd thing that cropped up the other day, Rafa Knight the former official renderer of the Sonic Archie Comics is having some issues with SEGA:

If you look at her other tweets and replies it looks like she was burned by SEGA pretty bad, poor girl I really did like her work on the Archie Comics. I was wondering where she disappeared to and suddenly she was replaced by NibocRock.

8 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

So here's an odd thing that cropped up the other day, Rafa Knight the former official renderer of the Sonic Archie Comics is having some issues with SEGA:

If you look at his other tweets and replies it looks like he was burned by SEGA pretty bad, poor guy I really did like his work on the Archie Comics. I was wondering where he disappeared to and suddenly he was replaced by NibocRock.

Hate to break it to you, but Rafa's a she :)

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

If you look at her other tweets and replies it looks like she was burned by SEGA pretty bad, poor girl I really did like her work on the Archie Comics. I was wondering where she disappeared to and suddenly she was replaced by NibocRock.

Huh.

Like, there was a rumor as to why she hasn't doing much, but it overall was apparently a matter of her being cut off without notification.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Huh.

Like, there was a rumor as to why she hasn't doing much, but it overall was apparently a matter of her being cut off without notification.

Apparently it's more then a rumor, her tweets pretty much confirm they ditched her for NibocRock. Wonder why though? she seemed like the flexible type and wouldn't give them hassle.

59 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Apparently it's more then a rumor, her tweets pretty much confirm they ditched her for NibocRock. Wonder why though? she seemed like the flexible type and wouldn't give them hassle.

Well @Ernest the Panda did reply with this in the Status Update. 

“The thing is, from what I understand, they let her go because she exhibited some very unprofessional, not to mention just generally shitty behaviour on her public Discord server.

At least that’s what many people are assuming to be the reason. If there was indeed a different reason, of even no reason at all on Sega’s part, I’m not too bent out of shape over it.

I believe she should still be paid for that IDW cover, but she won’t be working for them again any time soon.”

So maybe there’s your reason?

Of course, we don’t know if that is the reason. For all we know Sega hadn’t even seen it and there’s another reason. But it’s pretty good grounds to do it on.

2 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

“The thing is, from what I understand, they let her go because she exhibited some very unprofessional, not to mention just generally shitty behaviour on her public Discord server.

Hm. Like what?

That was a status update from someone else I reposted and I was wondering the same thing, and then I found this via Google. Hoooooo Boy! I don’t even know if I should be posting the link here but here you go, I guess. 

NSFW WARNING, THOUGH.

https://sonicsafetysquad.tumblr.com/post/171114601059/callout-for-rafa-knightrafaknight-rk-on-tumblr

52 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

That was a status update from someone else I reposted and I was wondering the same thing, and then I found this via Google. Hoooooo Boy! I don’t even know if I should be posting the link here but here you go, I guess. 

NSFW WARNING, THOUGH.

https://sonicsafetysquad.tumblr.com/post/171114601059/callout-for-rafa-knightrafaknight-rk-on-tumblr

Sonic Safety Squad, lol.

But, uh, yeah, that topic's sorta what I heard mention of.

Not sure how one should feel about the circumstance of that.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just read the comments after they finally loaded.

I don't really know what to think about this situation. I just know Rafa was asking people to retweet something in support of her but wouldn't go into it. It felt...sketchy to me TBH.

• 1 month later...

I realised I still had these hiding away, so I thought I might as well share them (it’s not like I could get in trouble for it, right?)

Quick backstory: back in 2015, Sonic Super Special Magazine was set to continue with its fourteenth issue, which would have featured content relating to the Worlds Unite crossover, among other things, but it ended up never releasing, and the series as a whole went on what would have been a two year hiatus (it was set to return in early 2017 with a new fourteenth issue, but...yeah).

However, this cancelled version of issue 14, through what I can only assume to be a technical error of some kind, very briefly saw the light of day, digitally, on the Archie Comics App. I was lucky enough to grab the issue before it was hastily removed. While I no longer have access to it today, I did manage to take screenshots of the bonus pages!

2-D11-DEB9-CB41-468-E-983-E-4-B99-ADEA70

A38-B6722-D0-B0-4763-AFA5-C53894-D55-A89

2561-E79-D-5-B49-4780-97-B0-BEB89-CBD37-

7-D8-CD43-B-4-DAE-4-E52-A4-B4-266-E2263-

AAFA8795-A3-EB-4708-BAA6-077-B8-D1-CA9-C

726-DA33-F-4748-425-D-BD5-C-9307-EC1283-

124-DC431-EB49-4-C3-C-914-F-332-FD5-A744

EF7-AE793-8540-454-C-836-D-924-AF06-CDBF

3-F1-C6-BCA-C7-AB-4-F5-F-8336-D7-DC19167

D107943-B-C386-4689-B05-B-C7-CD02366-BA4

3408-E8-BF-CAC6-4-E8-C-9-E51-A27-E007-AC

F1467596-C75-A-40-DF-A8-BB-0-E7325-A9521

A1-F838-E2-2-D29-4-D5-E-BD81-9-DA5-D268-

DAC57523-FBBC-459-D-8982-41-BF8017-E8-CB

5-FBBCCFD-F7-B1-43-E1-8594-40-FA92-C534-

2-D05-FB17-6472-4-D6-A-8-E0-D-3-C2215-D4

20859-B72-087-D-4-B69-8-E01-3-B23-FC8-D0

CC371-F45-A53-E-4-F7-C-B824-2582-D0-CFE7

99-C2-B1-AB-7-B42-4-A32-8-A17-4-D6-EB3-F

3620131-D-B571-4550-9-EAB-C3-B421-C0703-

F4-FB3487-B521-4-FE5-B434-25-FAF80979-DD

3-D951-BA6-2613-4-E78-9-AE9-8-E3170-FDA5

There’s nothing all that remarkable here outside the Diana Skelly interview. Regardless, I hope you guys enjoy getting a sneaky peek inside an issue that officially “never was”.

• Thumbs Up 8

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've reached Issue 31 of the older issues of the Archie Book and so far things have been rather interesting. Learning the origins of some of this stuff and how comparatively... uncomplicated a lot of these origins were is fairly neat to see. 

Some of these panels are funny as fuck though.

image.png.2e8e28e8f4e5fe72ca4935f91c3adb74.png

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 4

That story was drawn by Ken, right?

Sometimes I forget there was a time where his art was just immensely mediocre and not a full-frontal assault on the eyes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Speaking of Penders, this just so happened to be the issue where Geoffrey thrusts himself at Sally and steals a kiss from her. They kiss again at the end too. Then Sonic's like "She's just trying to make me jealous. WELL TWO CAN PLAY IT THAT GAME!"

And immediately, I'm like "This isn't Sonic". 

Also, it ends with a story about Rotor but that Rotor story has the weirdest cliff-hanger.

He's shown to be able to swim in the arctic ice water for a considerable long distance without coming up for air just fine at the beginning, because he's a walrus I guess. But at the end, a Swat-Bot throws a wooden club at Rotor's head and he falls in the water... and Robotnik's just like "Well struck! Now to continue expositing my plan to these brain-washed walruses." and the Swat-Bot is like "INDEED! THE ONE CALLED ROTOR WILL NEVER TROUBLE YOU AGAIN!"

... He just... fell in the water though? 

That's literally all that happened.

You threw some wood at him and he fell in the water. 

What?

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Speaking of Penders, this just so happened to be the issue where Geoffrey thrusts himself at Sally and steals a kiss from her. They kiss again at the end too. Then Sonic's like "She's just trying to make me jealous. WELL TWO CAN PLAY IT THAT GAME!"

And immediately, I'm like "This isn't Sonic". 

Also, it ends with a story about Rotor but that Rotor story has the weirdest cliff-hanger.

He's shown to be able to swim in the arctic ice water for a considerable long distance without coming up for air just fine at the beginning, because he's a walrus I guess. But at the end, a Swat-Bot throws a wooden club at Rotor's head and he falls in the water... and Robotnik's just like "Well struck! Now to continue expositing my plan to these brain-washed walruses." and the Swat-Bot is like "INDEED! THE ONE CALLED ROTOR WILL NEVER TROUBLE YOU AGAIN!"

... He just... fell in the water though? 

That's literally all that happened.

You threw some wood at him and he fell in the water. 

What?

I guess the idea is that Rotor would drown since he's unconscious.

Also, to be a little fair, SatAM Sonic was the type to get jealous. 

Or even hold a grudge, arguably. 

I mean, to be fair, Sonic Adventure won't have come out for a few years by the point you are at, so at the time it's not like Sonic anything is out of character for him really. I'm liking your little thoughts about Archie Sonic though, I hope you keep posting them.

I know all that already guys. I just really didn't want to re-explain for the 30th time my opinion on SatAM/Archie Sonic so I typed as little as I could about my response to hearing him say that...

Speaking of which, I read Issue 32 and while it did turn out that Rotor was unconscious, that doesn't in anyway alleviate the weirdness of the cliff-hanger in the last issue where all they showed was him falling in the water and Robotnik going "HE'S DEAD! HE'LL NEVER BOTHER ME AGAIN!" 

The Rotor story got even weirder with its conclusion. It's not even a conclusion. Rotor's brainwashed family comes out and attacks them and they end up floating away on a large chunk of ice. Rotor tosses a tracker on the ice so that he can find them again. It looks like a small walkie-talkie thing so it doesn't look like it can stick to anything, as such, I don't know how it's not supposed to just accidently slip off the ice or get kicked in the water.

Then Rotor leaves and says he's gonna work on a way to actually cure Robotnik's hypnosis...and then it ends with a box saying "It's over but if you want us to continue it then send letters to Sonic Grams!"

So basically it's like "We're not concluding this story unless you ask us to" which means if no one asks them to, apparently they're just going to leave Rotor's family adrift in the ocean, hypnotized forever. The idea of that being the case is hilarious.

I guess I should add a disclaimer here to avoid confusion again.

Ahem. 

Spoiler

Yes, I'm aware that this was probably a common practice in the comics back when they first came out. I'm just highlighting how odd and funny the idea that a story that does something that awful to Rotor's family wouldn't be concluded if people didn't send in letters asking them to. Also, I'm aware that they could totally finish it  without actually receiving any of those letters too.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed that Sonic and Tails have five fingers but Sally, Antione, Rotor, and Bunnie all only have four. 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Also, to be a little fair, SatAM Sonic was the type to get jealous. 

Or even hold a grudge, arguably. 

Yeah and that Sonic is also terrible and doesn't feel even remotely like Sonic. 

Many Mike Gallagher stories had "editor" notes saying "Want to see more of [insert whatever the story was about here]? Write Sonic-Grams!" Most of the time they went unfulfilled. I remember seeing a LOT of fans wanting more Sonic Spinball stories, and we never got even one.

Also helped me appreciate that the editor boxes were at the insistence of the individual writers, not the actual editor.

6 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Many Mike Gallagher stories had "editor" notes saying "Want to see more of [insert whatever the story was about here]? Write Sonic-Grams!" Most of the time they went unfulfilled. I remember seeing a LOT of fans wanting more Sonic Spinball stories, and we never got even one.

Also helped me appreciate that the editor boxes were at the insistence of the individual writers, not the actual editor.

I think it might have stayed that way throughout the whole run. Babylon Rising for example credits Genesis as running from 225-232 IIRC.

C39-B4655-CE27-468-B-9022-FF3-D8-A3385-E

Also from Babylon Rising. Totally obvious those are Tracey’s words, not Paul Kaminski’s.

Issue #32 - Blast from the Past

Okay, so Sonic's actually kind of lame and stupid in these earlier books and to be honest, it's kind of amusing. The amount of times he gets hit and sees stars floating around his head is astonishing but even funnier is the way it's sometimes being treated seriously.

Like, in this issue, the plot is that they thaw out a Prehistoric Mobian (they call him Mobie) whose your typical caveman (at first). Rotor makes a big deal about thawing him out slowly with his device but Sonic accidently knocks into it and makes the defrosting happen super fast. This has the horrible effect of... nothing. Nothing bad happens. He thaws out and he acts like a caveman, which is what he was going to do either way. So... I'm not sure why that detail of thawing him out slowly was even put into the story...???

Anyway, though, the plot is that he's running about the place and they're trying to communicate with him. Sonic is getting annoyed by him and he clearly doesn't like him. I guess cause he's hard to figure out but either way, Sonic's being an ass about it. Eventually, they remember that Mr. Caveman had a paintbrush in his hand when he was in the ice (as well as a club) so they try to communicate threw paintings. This causes him to remember he had a family and he jumps off a tree he climbed up, bounces off Sonic's head (Ha.) and then runs off into the forest. His family is dead, obviously. 

But the funny part is when the SWAT-Bots attack Sonic. For some reason, Sonic spins into a tornado to blow them all away, starts gloating while spinning to a stop, smashed his face against some rock, then passes out...

image.png.ebef4e8b765c9c8db3cb390f834dd58c.png

It's hilarious.

At first I thought he was just going to immediately collect himself but then Muttsuki, his dog from way back whose been roboticized, comes along and is about to... eat him? I think? And we cut back to Sonic and he's still unconscious.

image.png.58d3c62d2ada9f9ae70804cff08a3aa8.png

Then he has to be saved by the Caveman. It's so lame. I kind of love it.

Issue #33 - Let's Get Small

This is the weirdest thing ever. 

The Freedom Fighters, aside from Sonic, all get sick because they ordered take-out from a new restaurant called Robo... something. It's obviously a Robotnik thing.

Anyway, Sonic has to shrink himself down and goes inside Rotor's body to fix it. He meets up with Rotor's Auntie Bodie. She's an old woman that looks like Rotor but lives inside his body. At first I appreciated the pun but then I realized that there's not really a joke there aside from the fact that Auntie kind of sounds like Anti. Anyway, Sonic fights this dude that looks like a Potato Chip while inside Rotor's body called "Parasite". For some reason, even though this is Rotor's body, Parasite is French, like Antione. 

I don't really get it. Anyway, they beat him and his partner "Fever" up and then the Rotor Auntie Bodie gives a call on her "One-Celled Celluar Phone" to the other Auntie Bodies in the bodies of the other Freedom Fighters and tells them to... beat up the Parasites and Fevers in their bodies. And they do... and then that's it. Also, the other Auntie Bodies are just the other Freedom Fighter characters in old woman wigs and dresses. That includes Tails. It's weird.

• Thumbs Up 1