Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Yes, but technically they have been used...on the sonic X comics. So yeah.

Notice that I said "... but SEGA won't let Archie put them in the main comic." So while both appeared in the Sonic X comic and an Off-Panel, SEGA doesn't want them in the Archie continuity.

I love the evil smile that Robotnik has on the cover of issue #224.

And it looks like Silver will be going into the future of the original Lara-Su.

Ian pretty much confirmed it.

Silver - Recognizable character to a fairly wide audience of comic and gaming fans.

Original Lara-Su - An alternate reality version of Knuckles's possible daughter in a possible future who hasn't been seen in eight years.

Silver makes her story possible.

Edited by Darkfox

Um... no? I don't think it's been said anywhere Archie's Nega adores Eggman...

Hold on, it's time for me to dig through the Ask Ian archives again.

And it's apparently not there. I don't know if Ian saved any of the Ask the Character archives, but I remember asking Nega that question.

Just recieved StH #221 in the mail! There's a neat little logo under the SEGA one on the cover that says "Countdown to Genesis" and shows the number of issues until 225. Interesting. Anyway, expect my usual summary as soon as I'm done reading it. :)

Edited by chaoscontrol14

I knew you got the issues early, but now you're getting them before the preview even comes out? Wow. :P

Wow--you're pretty lucky, CC14! I'll be looking forward to your summary. =) Until then, here are the preview pages for StH #221!

sth221_0.jpg

sth221_1.jpg

sth221_2.jpg

sth221_3.jpg

sth221_4.jpg

sth221_5.jpg

Looks like Naugus still has his shadow-melding powers after all.

Edited by Immortheus

This is weird. Why?

Because I for some reason am really digging this issue so far. Nicole's "public" design? Sally looking more like a girl again with her cutesiness added again? Sonic being all awesome and chill? Ixis Naugus and Geoffry St. Jerk John?

I don't usually like Sonic comics, definitely the ones that don't contain action and instead a little more of the slightly-romantic, but this is nice. The writing is really good so far, and the story is coming off really lighthearted even though there's Sonic-Sally talk going on. I approve.

Needless to say, Ben Bates is my favorite artist for the Sonic comics in a looong time.

Edited by Azukara

Holy crap, Bates has beaten Tracy Yardley! AND Jamal Peppers in the art department here! Gonna make a special effort to pick this one up.

Also lol Darkwing Duck on 1st page

EDIT: HAH, Megavolt's there too!

Edited by Aquaslash

Mina doesn't know what she's got coming. While her trauma from the Iron Dominion and wanting to restrict NICOLE's power is understandable, she obviously did not think about what possible consequences could occur by doing this and we're about to find out what they are in this issue. ;)

Feel bad for NICOLE, she got all dressed up for the occasion, unaware that she will be crushed... :(

Ben Bates's style is awesome as usual though! :D

Edited by DragonSoul

Summary time!

1.The issue opens with Sonic and Sally attending Mina's concert.

2.Sonic tells Sally to relax and that they're here to have some fun.

3.Sally points out that Geoffrey just betrayed them and shot Sonic in the back, but Sonic insists that Sally continue to enjoy the concert with him.

4."Even if Mina isn't your favorite."

5."What?! I got both her albums at launch. Why would you think that?"

6."'Cause when Mina first started getting big, pretty much anytime I brought her up, you got all quiet and stuff."

7."Oh, THAT. I...I thought she was trying to date you, and I was jealous."

8."You...wait, what? So all the awkwardness and time apart..."

9.Sonic draws a grin.

10."See, Sal, this is why we should do this "talking" thing more. We could've saved ourselves a lot of angst."

11."I know. I know. I can't handle confrontations well."

12."Unless they involve killer robots and blasters and such."

13."Well, of course. That's all easy."

14.Sonic points out that they've been hanging out a lot lately and asks if he should be worried about "Fuzzy Khan" being jealous.

15.Sally points out that Khan is rebuilding his homeland and that they've talked it over already.

16.Sally says that she's finding out what she wants before she does anything rash.

17."Right. 'Cause "being reckless" is MY thing. You're the sensible one."

18.Nicole appears, sporting a new outfit.

19."Does that make my function "the third wheel" tonight?"

20.Sally hugs Nicole.

21."Of course not! I'm glad you decided to come!"

22."Me too. Because who wanted a date tonight, anyway."

23.Sonic walks over to Nicole.

24."Dig the new look, by the way. High polygon, right?"

25."Ha-ha! I thought I would program something different..."

26.Nicole covers her face with her hat.

27."...Since I'm not sure I'm welcome in public."

28.Sonic assures the contrary.

29."What? PSSSSHT! Of course you are!'

30.Nicole says that ever since the Iron Dominion's invasion, people have been on edge. Since she is the city's system, she hears things.

31.Sally consoles Nicole and assures that people have been rightfully jumpy and since Nicole is a Freedom Fighter, they'll calm down eventually.

32.Sonic agrees with Sally and says that they're going to just sit back and enjoy the show without worrying about the future.

33.Cut to high in the stadium where Mina's concert is being held.

34.Naugus and Geoffrey emerge from the shadows, Geoff gasping for air.

35."The stealth of shadow-melding is moot if you carry on like that each time."

36."*HACK!*That is *KOFF!* the worst sensation *GASP!* in the world!"

37.Geoffrey reminds Naugus that he only stuck around long enough to teach Geoff the basics.

38.He says that hhis magic may be subpar, but it's his skills that Naugus will need to take back the kingdom.

39.He then points out that they shouldn't be spying from such a high place. They run a high risk of being seen and Geoff's plan needs the element of surprise to work.

40."Do not lecture me, boy."

41."Er...not my intention, sir. But the plan..."

42."It is a good plan, but it needs more. What we need is here tonight. Can you not feel it in the air?"

43."Feel what, sir?"

44."The fear, Geoffrey. The poison fog of fear!"

45.Meanwhile, Mina and her band prepare to go on.

46.Mina encourages her band by ensuring them that they're going to make a difference tonight.

47.Mina's band grows excited and leaves for the stage.

48.Mina is nervous, but Ash assures her that she's going to do great.

49."Get out there, babe...and blow them away."

50.Mina gets on stage and the concert begins.

51."Good evening, Mobotropolis! You know me. You know the band. But you don't know the treat you're in for!"

52."No need to start it off gently! These people can take it! Hit it, Sharps!"

53.The band starts playing and everyone is shocked by the sound.

54.Sally is fazed by the noise.

55."That's not "Old Mina!"

56.Sonic, however, is unfazed.

57."It's not, and it ROCKS! WHOOOOO!"

58.Mina starts to sing her new song.

59."I lie awake--! In my bed--! Just can't sleep--! Full of dread--! Will the nightmares come for me thiiiiis time?"

60."In the day--! In the night--! Never knowing--! Full of fright--! Why won't anyone liiiiiiiiisten?"

61."I can't always be jumping at shaaaaaaaaaadows! I can't always be running awaaaaaaaaaay!"

62.Nicole starts to realize what this song is about.

63."I won't be afraid! I'll save myself! I won't be afraid! I'll save myself!"

64."She's everywhere--! Everything--! But heroes aren't listening--! We're all left prone--! Unproteeeeeeeected!"

65."It's painfully--ob-vi-ous--! They won't act--! It's up to us--! We won't live in fear of the ciiiiiiiiity!"

66.As Mina continues her song, tears fill Nicole's eyes.

67.Sally tries to console her and realizes what the true meaning of Mina's song is.

68.The audience starts chanting the chorus of Mina's song.

69.Sally tries to talk to Nicole, but she becomes too sad to answer and runs away, Espio noticing her.

70.Cut back to Naugus and Geoffrey, who are observing the event.

71."Crikey. I knew there was some concern about the nanites and Nicole, but I didn't realize it was THIS bad."

72."It was--and it wasn't."

73."Regardless, this will play directly into our--wait, what?"

74."HHHHHHHA HA HA! Fear is the mind-killer!"

75."You...YOU'RE doing this. You're using your magic to blow their feelings out of proportion."

76."Just as in The Great War, they will do more than call for reform...they'll be baying for blood!"

77.Mina end her song and thanks the audience for their passion and motivation.

78."The Freedom Fighters spend almost every day protecting us from dangers from the outside. They need us to handle things here at home. And our government is elected by the people! They HAVE to listen to us! We won't be afraid! We will save ourselves! And we demand change--NOW!"

79.While the rest of the audience is cheering Mina on, Sonic and Sally are decidedly concerned.

80.After the concert, Mina and her band are making their way back to their trailer with thousands of fans and photographers swarming them.

81.Mina thanks them all and Ash congratulates her on a successful show.

82.One of the band members tells Ash and Mina to go in first.

83."You know them better than us."

84.Unsurprisingly, Sonic and Sally are waiting for them in their trailer.

85.Ash is miffed.

86."HOW DID YOU GET PAST SECURITY?"

87."Princess."

88."Speed of sound? Kinda known for it?"

89."You can line up for autographs like everyone else, Hog."

90."Cute. Mina's music doesn't need your dark-and-gloomy, "I'm so sad and misunderstood" baggage."

91.Ash is steamed, but Mina admits that the song was her idea and that it needs to be heard, especially by him and Sally.

92.Sally tries to reason with Mina.

93."Someone with your popularity should be more careful with your "messages." You'll have to take more responsibility when--"

94.Mina interrupts her.

95."Responsibility?! What about you and the Freedom Fighters? Bunnie, Khan, AND Nicole all got turned on you! And Nicole runs the city--IS the city! How is that "responsible"?! WE were running for our lives! Anywhere we hid could be turned into a prison by Nicole! While you talked politics over THERE, I saw people legionized HERE! So don't you DARE talk to me about responsibility!"

96.Sonic interjects.

97."So we should've stayed and been caught, too?"

98.Sally interrupts.

99."Save it, Sonic. But one thing about Nicole, Mina..."

100."She was in full control while we were gone and she kept up the act to protect as many as possible. She saw ALL the legionizing first-hand AND she was at your concert."

101.Sonic and Sally leave.

102.Sonic and Sally make their way through a crowd of Mina's supporters.

103."Maybe Eggman should come back. See how fast these ingrates go from "WAAAHH, she's evil" to "Oh, save us, Nicole, with your force-fields!"

104."Don't say that..."

105."I know. I know. It's just..."

106.Sally interrupts him by trying to find Nicole.

107."Nicole? If you can hear me, please don't hide. Talk to me. Talk to US. We're still your friends."

108.Meanwhile, Geoffrey and Naugus continue to survey.

109."Fester in your fear, New Mobotropolis. Bathe in your terror!

110."...Until you beg me to save you!"

111.The story ends.

112.The back-up story begins with Nicole sobbing on the ground in a room filled with computers.

113.She's awakened by Dimitri, who asks if she's all right.

114."Dimitri! I-I'm sorry. I forgot you were installed here. I won't bother you any further. Good night."

115."If you were a bother, child, I wouldn't have let you weep all this time."

116.Nicole says that she hadn't realized that she had been there that long.

117.Dimitri says that given the nature of Mina's song, he felt it best to give her some time before voicing his concern.

118.He points out that Espio probably thought the same, revealing that Espio has been spying on them.

119.Espio descends from the ceiling and asks Nicole what Dimitri is doing there.

120.Nicole explains how Sonic and Tails rescued him in StH #212.

121.Dimitri tries to get Espio's attention.

122.Espio pulls a dagger out from his wristband and points it at Dimitri.

123."What? What does a villain and a traitor have to say to me?!"

124."And you would know nothing about being branded a traitor? Hmm? Now tell me--did you really come here to threaten me and yell at Nicole?"

125.Espio stands down.

126."...No."

127.He puts the dagger back in his wristband and says that he saw Nicole running from the concert and came to see if she was okay.

128."You did? But...why?"

129."Because you helped me help Charmy. And because the Iron Dominion used us both. I just...I know what it's like to lose everyone's trust.

130."Oh...I-I meant...how did you know I wouldn't just disappear into the system?"

131.Dimitri interjects.

132."Because he knows you are no longer a mere program, child. A program would not run away in fear, or weep on the floor. He knew where his friend the Mobian would go.

133."Right or not, this is DIMITRI, Nicole! How could you not say something? Does Knuckles know?"

134."Only a select few know. He's preparing himself to face Knuckles."

135."She's being kind. In truth, I fear facing him at all. We have been sworn enemies for a very long time...I--I have done horrible things. But enough about me. I worry for you, Nicole.

136.Nicole says that she's at a loss. She built this city for the people, but they think she'll try to trap them with it or worse.

137."You lost control of enormous power before, Dimitri. How did you deal with this?"

138."Which time do you think she means? When you were Enerjak, or when you were Grandmaster of the Legion?"

139."In either scenario, I was trying to exert my will over reality. To force things to suit me rather than deal with them as they were. And now look at me. Never to be with my family again. My people led astray by my own son. My legacy a twisted, wretched thing serving the Eggman Empire.

140."I was selfish. You two have something that I had ignored...you have the love and support of others. Friends who will seek you out to help you..."

141."Nicole, you must be brave and face the public's scorn. They cannot hate a faceless monster of the shadows when she stands up to them with reason. Though...it is one thing to speak of courage. It's another to possess it. I'm afraid you two must lead by example."

142.Nicole thanks Dimitri and says that he can rest there until he's ready.

143.Dimitri says that he will never be "ready" and asks Espio to arrange a meeting with Knuckles for him.

144."Well...I'm in no position to deny someone a second chance. I'll talk to Knux, if you'll come with me."

145."Of course. I'll help explain everything."

146.The issue ends with Espio and Nicole leaving together.

That's all she wrote! Here's a new S:G preview image and as a bonus, some shots of Ben Bates' prototypical artwork:

163649_134754326588413_100001615403873_220859_1429882_n.jpg167782_134754473255065_100001615403873_220860_4102440_n.jpg163423_134754589921720_100001615403873_220863_5627652_n.jpg163180_134754699921709_100001615403873_220864_436391_n.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Loving this entirely! Mina's lyrics aren't half-bad, NICOLE's reaction seems great, and it's good to see Espio isn't an ignoramus.

I love how everyone, apart from Mina, treats Ash like many of the readers do: "SOMETHING WENT WRONG! IT'S THAT EMONGOOSE AGAIN! Oh wait it isn't. Bummer."

Also, extra points for Sonic and Sally's talk with Mina. Really well handled.

Although I'm somewhat disappointed that Naugus was the one to make them really angry. I expected that to happen on it's own.

On the backstory, I hope someone gives at least a "Robian" body to poor ol' Mitri.

Loving his interaction with Nicole, they have a lot in common.

Also love how Nicole is forgetting more and more that she isn't a Mobian.

Since that issue when they attack an Eggman base, and then with 201, I felt Espio and NICOLE have the potential for a great friendship. Glad to see that explored.

Ouch Mina, that was horrible. Poor Nicole. although the message was spread to everyone in the audience and made them all angry, does that count the Freedom Fighters? Cause in the preview I definatly saw Knuckles and Julie Su in the audience, it would be a big problem if those two attacked the monarchy!

Lastly, I dig how Geoffery's name has become Geoffery St Jerk.

Ooooo, very nice character development going on here. Nicole is slowly becoming my favorite Archie character because of her great personality and writing; and you genuinely feel sorry for her. The story is getting better, and the most amazing part, without Robotnik (and usually any Archiesonic story not featuring Robotnik is kinda lame).

Mina is transforming into a punk rock prick with an emo boyfriend, which almost seems like she's slowly transforming into more of an antagonist.. if all things continue like they are right now with her rebellious streak she's gaining.

Sonic and Sally have a nice bit of closure that stops so much unneeded drama at the very beginning of the issue. That's something really good to have. Plus, Sonic's reactions to many things in this comic have left me with a really big smile, especially the part where he goes on about "Maybe Eggman should come back. See how fast these ingrates go from "WAAAHH, she's evil" to "Oh, save us, Nicole, with your force-fields!". A Sonic quip at it's finest. Also Sally is looking a little girlier again, and a bit cuter I might add (for a chipmunk of course, no furry). A couple of quirks in her personality are revealed in this issue, which makes her stand out to have imperfections, unlike the Mary Sue scthick she had for so long.

All in all, great issue; I await the next. =3

Wow, am I really getting back into the Sonic comics? This surprises even me!

Azukara, answering you:

"which almost seems like she's slowly transforming into more of an antagonist.. if all things continue like they are right now with her rebellious streak she's gaining. "

I hope Ian Flynn has a bit more respect than to simply making her an antagonist becuase she's rebelling against what's actually a real threat. I mean, you know she's right in the end- NICOLE is as much a liability as she's safety. Normally people see in her the safety part. Mina saw directly the dangers of it.

From it sounds like, it's sounds a good issue. And What I said in my opinion vids on my youtube channel, it seems Ian has turned Mina and Ash into the Yoko Ono and John Lennon of the book, well at least this story.

Like I said before, what Mina did was legitamete, she just didn't think this would bite her in the butt a bit. I also think she forgets that even though NICOLE is a computer program, she still can feel and think clearly. That she is ashamed that she is now seen as a monster that can easily be controlled instead of being reliable or of good use like she has been in the past for the FF's. I think something good might come out of this next issue, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I like the design they're using with Naugus. He used to be short and hunched, but the new design is almost vampiric in profile. At full height he looks rather slithery, it's a nice creepy effect for a villain. Ian's also given him some degree of mind control powers, which I thought might happen. It's not unprecedented, because he did possess the King way back after Endgame. Nice to see him in good form. But did he drop a mention of actually instigating the Great War? That might be new. Pretty big accomplishment to add to his list of misdeeds.

Is it just me or was part of that song based on "Dreams of an Absolution"? Several of the lyrics near the beginning reminded me of it, and it largely seems like a variation of the song (just darker).

Nice developments here. This is getting to be really intriguing... I'm looking forward to seeing how these plots develop.

But did he drop a mention of actually instigating the Great War? That might be new. Pretty big accomplishment to add to his list of misdeeds.

That's not new; it was established back during the "Naugus Trilogy."

Anyone wanna talk about what the people on Sega forums think of this issue?

Not to derail the thread or anything, but why should we care what people on other boards think?

Not to derail the thread or anything, but why should we care what people on other boards think?

Just to talk about the issues they bring up, and see if they're legitimate.

This topic was kinda dead before those previews came around.