Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Remember when Sonic "died" in #105's cover?
He always looked more passed out to me then dead.

I just hope that issue 225, and Genesis don't reboot the comic to make it more like the games.

Edited by Yugi12

You know, a lot of you or a lot of others have been saying and hoping that characters like Sally, Mina, and many others will be the character that dies in 225. Well let me explain something that you may find interesting. I hope after reading this, that you will have a better understanding on why characters like Sally, Mina, Bunnie, Rotor, Antoine and many others that are not game characters will not be the ones to die in issue 225. So let us begin.

Now when Ian and Archie comics hinted at the major character death in 225, many names like the ones I mentioned above were being considered and talked about by many in the fan base. The reason for that, is because some of the fans if not a majority are fans that grew up knowing the game characters and storylines only. Now true, many longtime fans of the franchise who have read the comic since it's inception, have the same if not close to similar feelings that the game only fans have. Those feelings are that the characters known as the major and main leads in the comic, besides Sonic have not really done much and in their thoughts would benefit better by being killed off.

I can respectfully understand this, but unfortunately for those fans this may not occur in 225. The reason I say this is because Ian has confirmed in some way along with artist Ben Bates that characters like Sally, Bunnie and the other freedom fighters will appear in the Genesis story line. Now I have mentioned in a previous post that this may all be a swerve to throw us off and that in reality it could be one of the main freedom fighters that bites the dust, however Flynn and Bates according to XxMikoxX and some other fellow fans as I mentioned before have confirmed that Sally along with the freedom fighters will continue on in the Genesis Arc.

The reason this is being said, is because if Flynn tried to kill off one if not all the freedom fighters, the very characters that have been in the franchise since 1993, were a part of the Saturday morning show on ABC as well as part of the comic since its inception, would be like if the new writers and big shots in charge at Disney decided to kill off characters like Donald, Daisy, Max, and even ClaraBelle, it would cause trouble for all parties involved, but most importantly for those that gave the okay to do it without the permission of the head person in charge or in this case the organization and company that owns the rights to these characters, despite what others may say.

It would be reminiscing of what Ken Penders tried to do in 1997 in which he tried to kill off Sally during the '' Endgame'' saga, which ended up backfiring on him even though he said he would have done it so that the character would still have her fans and that her death would have been handled with dignity to the point I guess as he put it in some way she would not be forgotten by anyone. However as we found out years later, that would not be the case because as we all saw in issue 50, her death was changed to her being in a coma from the fall she took three issues earlier. The reason this change was made, was as he said, Sega ordered the change because they had plans for her.

Some of you may say that Sega doesn't care anymore about characters like her, but you may be surprised. I mean if Sega didn't care, then why haven't the writers past and present done anything to the characters to prove fans like us as well as critics wrong. Well I'll tell you why, it's because the writers know that Sega does care even if they don't show it or acknowledge the characters firsthand. A prime example of the fact that they do care can be seen in a multi-platform game Sonic Mega-Collection plus on systems like the GameCube, PlayStation 2, and the Xbox. For if you look at the extras they added in the games extras section you will see at the time an updated cover by cover collection of Archie's comics Sonic The Hedgehog comic book, but also covers for the 48 page super specials as well as the spinoffs for Knuckles, Tails and Princess Sally.

If that doesn't show you that Sega does care about these characters, then you better think again. For hopefully this would give you an idea that it may not be any of them, but then again we could be wrong, because if you look at the final page of the 25th anniversary issue of Sonic Universe you will see characters that even include those mentioned above as well as Sonic, Tails, Shadow and even Amy Rose that are among the soulless bodies hanging on the wall behind the villain for this four-part story arc.

So as I mentioned before in previous posts we will just have to wait until May of this year to see who it is that dies.

Edited by bwrosas

Now I'm caught up with the main series. I still need to finish Universe, the SSS, the miniseries and Knuckles, though.

Aw man you read them out of order.

The specials like Return of the King are very plot heavy! And the Knuckles series crosses over once and kinda continues in Sonic back stories! I hope you weren't lost.

Nate Morgan by the way, is standing in a nuclear cloud with the other roboticized Overlanders.

While I think it'd be a cool plot point to see them still surviving as metal statues, I don't think that will happen.

However as we found out years later, that would not be the case because as we all saw in issue 50, her death was changed to her being in a coma from the fall she took three issues earlier. The reason this change was made, was as he said, Sega ordered the change because they had plans for her.

See I think it would've been alright to kill her there, just a few years into the series and after SatAM, in order to replace her role with King Max and ease in Amy Rose as a love interest. But seventeen years down the road is pushing it. She is an Archie Sonic icon.

Edited by Dabnikz

He always looked more passed out to me then dead.

I just hope that issue 225, and Genesis don't reboot the comic to make it more like the games.

They already became more like the games the moment they added characters like Shadow, Rouge and Silver.

225 already features the Death Egg, and the fact that Sega legally owns the rights of the comic and it's characters is enough proof that at the end of the day, they decide what happens and what doesn't happen in the comic. I don't see how something like this could imply a reboot nor do I see how it could be a bad thing.

Edited by DragonSoul

I'm pretty sure it's Hershey; especially since Geoffory's involved and Ian said he has plns for her. If it is, i'm finished with this book. I've been waiting for her to re-appear in the comic, and for her to be killed of with Ian even giving her as a chance.. it'd just be bad writing. Hershey's been one of my favopurite characters since her appearance in issue.. #47 I think.

I hope some part of this delves into Eggman's mental state somewhat. I don't think he's been quite the same since he snapped, and I wanna see just how much it did to him.

But she's not a "major character," as the IGN article is saying. At this point the only characters that qualify are either Geoffrey, King Max, or NICOLE's holographic form. It's not going to be any of the original Freedom Fighters because they are all seen throughout the Genesis preview pages, and it's not going to be a lesser know character. And even then, I think only one of the character's I mentioned can still be considered a "major character." At this point, it's too early to know for sure who it is. The closer we get to 225, the easier it's going to be to figure out.

Okay, now some of you probably would like to hear from one fan's opinion on why certain characters will not die in issue 225. Well I've given my thoughts and explanations as well as some others have, but it still seems that some of you still believe that these characters that have been mentioned in previous posts will perish in 225. Perhaps I can give you some idea as to when and if these characters were to perish in the comic book's continuity.

It's quite simple, now first of all I know that there are some haters out there that would love nothing more than to see a certain female character die in 225, so that another certain female character can take her spot and become the hero's love interest that many feel and believe she could be and deservedly should be. Unfortunately in the comic by Archie comics may never occur unless there is a reboot of the comic in the future.

Now getting back to what I was saying, the only way for these certain characters and this one female character that a little over 50% of the fan base dislikes, the only way they would die in the comic is if the comic was to be canceled by Archie comics and their partnership with Sega of America would end.

For you see, if that was to happen then the writers whoever they may be at the time which could be many years from now, only then would they be able to write not only a final battle between good and evil in this canon/continuity but they would be able to finally give the games only and Sonic X fans what they have been wanting for a long time. However I believe if this was to occur, that it will not occur until possibly the comic reaches its 500th issue or even knowing Archie comics it's 600th issue.

Only then would characters like Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor and even the game characters of Amy Rose and Tails would possibly die in the comics final issue and final story.

Now some of you may not want to hear that or believe it, but from my standpoint's and opinions I believe that that timeframe which is a few years if not a decade away that this will occur.

If you don't believe me, let me and the rest of the Sonic community fan base know what you think.

I've said it before already, but another point has been brought to mind. if Nicole were to "die", the hologram would simply fade away. In fact, it already does this in times when the shields need extensive power. Since it's a good guess to say that this will be the case with an invasion of the fraggin DEATH EGG, and the fact that Nicole's arms have markings on them anyway she should really be out of people's "death lists"

Also, I'm gonna add to the table that if anyone actually dies, I'm totally calling a Disney Death

Also, I'm gonna add to the table that if anyone actually dies, I'm totally calling a Disney Death

I'm pretty sure that Ian has a "dead means dead" policy.

Yeah, but that probably means well dead characters like Hunter or the Ancient Walkers. I don't think it counts if it's part of the same issue.

Aw man you read them out of order.

The specials like Return of the King are very plot heavy! And the Knuckles series crosses over once and kinda continues in Sonic back stories! I hope you weren't lost.

Yeah it got confusing at times, like when Tails, Sonic and Knuckles were suddenly fighting Master Mogul in I think issue 60. But I had only the main series, so I couldn't. I'm not sure if I should wait for the Knuckles Archives or read the series in errr... other ways ^^ I'll still get them, but the the excitement is gone´and I already did that for the main series.

Okay a lot of you have been hoping and saying who you feel could die in 225. However as I have mentioned before we will not know until May. Now some of you are saying that if there is a death in this upcoming issue that it will be a Disney death.

Now some who do not know what a Disney death is will probably be wondering what your talking about. Well perhaps I can explain what you mean.

A Disney death especially for a good guy or girl or in most cases a Princess or even the main hero is only temporary, because at some point during the film/story the character whether it be a Princess or the main hero will always find a way to be revived/resurrected/be brought back to life. This is what some of my fellow posters here at Sonic Stadium and other Sonic related sites mean when they say that the death of the major character in 225 will be like a Disney death.

However the comic book's current writer apparently by many's opinions has a '' dead equals dead policy'', meaning that when he kills a character in the comic that that character remains dead for good, even and as much as I hate to say it would also count with first tier major characters, even those that Flynn has cleared for later issues in this summer of Genesis story line.

So I hope for anyone that was wondering what some of my fellow posters meant by Disney death, I hope this helped out.

However the comic book's current writer apparently by many's opinions has a '' dead equals dead policy'', meaning that when he kills a character in the comic that that character remains dead for good, even and as much as I hate to say it would also count with first tier major characters, even those that Flynn has cleared for later issues in this summer of Genesis story line.

It's not so much as opinion as much as he outright stated "dead equals dead" on his message board several times. ;) Ian's not afraid to kill characters and keep 'em that way.

Still betting it's King Max. The Freedom Fighters appear in the Genesis preview images, and Nicole and St. John have black hands.

Well I'm saying a Disney death is not really a death. If the character didn't really die, then they're not dead. Ian means bringing characters back.

It's not so much as opinion as much as he outright stated "dead equals dead" on his message board several times. ;) Ian's not afraid to kill characters and keep 'em that way.

Still betting it's King Max. The Freedom Fighters appear in the Genesis preview images, and Nicole and St. John have black hands.

Yes, Ian has stated that. But some fans feel that for this issue and storyline, that he will pull a Disney Death on us.

Well I'm saying a Disney death is not really a death. If the character didn't really die, then they're not dead. Ian means bringing characters back.

I always thought a Disney Death was more "they are in critical condition," than they were resurrected from the Dead.

A Disney death is any situation where you think the character is dead, but it turns out they're really not. Sally's Endgame death was a Disney death. Ian says he doesn't believe in bringing back dead characters, but that's more like for retcons. It's different if you plan a fake death into your script.

Now as we have seen, some still believe that this Genesis storyline along with this cover indicates a possible rebooting of the comic.

However that will not be the case, because as some fans here at Sega.com and here at the cartoon and comics section as well at Sonic Stadium and many others, have stated, they do not want the comic to just focus on the game only characters.

I must agree with this, because despite how others feel the addition of the Saturday morning characters and the Archie exclusive characters at times create more intrigued for the book and the characters associate with as well as it allows the game characters to have others to expand off of.

That is why I believe a reboot will not occur, however the closest we will get is probably the main characters and those minor major characters that continue on with them will go back to probably square one, in other words back to living in hiding just like in the earlier issues.

This could very well be 'THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK' of the comic. I do believe Robotnik will win in the end, or at least turn out to be a 'REVENGE OF THE SITH' situation. Which would kick ass.

Oh hey, Free Comic Book Day's preview pages are up.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/comics.asp?ItemNo=JAN110011

STK434706.jpg

(W) Ian Flynn (A) Steven Butler

"The Rematch": Join the excitement with an ALL NEW "Free Comic Book Day" battle royal! Sonic goes to pay his respects for a fallen friend in the Southern Tundra and stumbles upon Ixis Naugus! How has the evil wizard managed to return? How can Sonic beat this magical master of the elements? All this plus exclusive new data files to tell you just who's who!

Pages: 32, FC

FREE!

The story seems to take place some time later than the current issues, but probably before #225. Most of the story seems to take place in a flashback though. I've not read the original Sonic Super Special #15 but is this pretty much what happened in it, except having worse art? XD

I've not read the original Sonic Super Special #15 but is this pretty much what happened in it, except having worse art? XD
Edited by chaoscontrol14

Most of the story seems to take place in a flashback though. I've not read the original Sonic Super Special #15 but is this pretty much what happened in it, except having worse art? XD

Thanks, CC114 and Core! And this is pretty much what Ian said on his board, that this was a better way to see this story in print rather than reprinting SSS 15 in one of the archives.

Steven Butler's style is looking a little bit different in this story. Maybe it's the inking.

Yeah, there is a new inker, Rick Bryant.

EDIT: There is a new colorist too, Steve Downer.

Edited by Illuminous_Orb