Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

The only good thing she brought was the hilarity of her being in a physically abusive relationship.

I just don't like her xD

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I could've sworn they tried to kill Sally off during Endgame, only to bring her back because of the negative reaction they got from it.

In any case, I doubt they'll ever try to kill her off again.

Has anyone got Sonic Universe #26 yet? The issue shipped about a week ago and it seems like no one has got the issue yet.

I could've sworn they tried to kill Sally off during Endgame, only to bring her back because of the negative reaction they got from it.

In any case, I doubt they'll ever try to kill her off again.

Actually, they brought her back because SEGA asked them to. They apparently still wanted to use Sally for promotional material.

Actually, they brought her back because SEGA asked them to. They apparently still wanted to use Sally for promotional material.

Indeed. If I'm not mistaken, Sally was originally going to be permenantly killed off but Sega thought Sally had some marketing potential. But I highly doubt they care what happens to her now....

Sally's in the previews for "Sonic Genesis" which starts in issue 226. So she is not going to be killed off in issue 225. I don't get all the Sally hate. I think that she's a great character.

I hate Sally because she symbolizes everything in the comic that I hold contempt for. She is a Princess, therefore making Sonic a soldier and hero for one people. He serves a select group of people instead of being an universal hero. Lets say Federation and the Kingdom of Acorn go at war for non-diabolical reasons. Which side would Sonic and Tails be on and would it be for the right cause? One issue that pissed me off demonstrated that perfectly. Instead of using his own judgement, Sonic was commanded to bring in Tails' father in without using his own judgement and essentially doing so because he was ordered to. Yes, it resolved itself and created the council, but should the hero that is supposed be about his own way be simply a soldier. I've been asking for the death of Knothole Kingdom or any governing force that Archie Sonic has so he can show actual development.

As for the Sally not dieing because she has a large fanbase, I have one character that shows it can be pulled off for the better. KAMINA. After this character's death, the show became better and more influential. You want a comic book example? Gwen Stacey. As for using the Sonic Genesis defense, we don't even know what the hell Sonic Genesis is and if it affects the main continuity. They are building up this death so I doubt it will be a throwaway character and it will be huge disappointment if it isn't a huge character.

And I am one of the folks that legit shit hate her.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hate Sally because she symbolizes everything in the comic that I hold contempt for. She is a Princess, therefore making Sonic a soldier and hero for one people. He serves a select group of people instead of being an universal hero. Lets say Federation and the Kingdom of Acorn go at war for non-diabolical reasons. Which side would Sonic and Tails be on and would it be for the right cause? One issue that pissed me off demonstrated that perfectly. Instead of using his own judgement, Sonic was commanded to bring in Tails' father in without using his own judgement and essentially doing so because he was ordered to. Yes, it resolved itself and created the council, but should the hero that is supposed be about his own way be simply a soldier. I've been asking for the death of Knothole Kingdom or any governing force that Archie Sonic has so he can show actual development.

As for the Sally not dieing because she has a large fanbase, I have one character that shows it can be pulled off for the better. KAMINA. After this character's death, the show became better and more influential. You want a comic book example? Gwen Stacey. As for using the Sonic Genesis defense, we don't even know what the hell Sonic Genesis is and if it affects the main continuity. They are building up this death so I doubt it will be a throwaway character and it will be huge disappointment if it isn't a huge character.

Go to the Sega Forums, its pretty much "Hate Sally as much as you can" over there, though some complaints are legitimate.

I really don't care for Sally, and I think it WOULD be better if she was killed off because it force Sonic to move on, and explore other areas in life, and not just romance. Sonic is supposed to love Adventure, sure doesn't seem that way to me.

With all this talk on what Sonic should love, I think we're all forgetting who is his true love in life......

Chili dogs. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

With all this talk on what Sonic should love, I think we're all forgetting who is his true love in life......

Chili dogs. ;)

And when was the last time he was seen eating them, HUH?

And when was the last time he was seen eating them, HUH?

OH, SNAP, YOUR'RE RIGHT!!!!! :blink:

:P

Edited by DragonSoul

Has anyone got Sonic Universe #26 yet? The issue shipped about a week ago and it seems like no one has got the issue yet.

I honestly don't know what's keeping it. Archie must have a shipping problem or something. Usually, I get the issue a few days or the week after it ships. In addition to that, I STILL haven't gotten my copy of 222. It's very puzzling. Edited by chaoscontrol14

Actually Sonic eats Chilidogs more lately...

Anyways, the one I predict is going to die is King Max. Whatever the case, something's gotta' happen between issues 225 and 226 to have an arch where Sonic and friends don't remember jack of anything or something like that.

I'm hoping for either Sally or Nicole to go. Not for particularly legit reasons, but rather due to my bias.

Hey, at least I'm honest.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

you know you can hate Sally if you want to but really....she didn't "command" Sonic to do anything there. He wasn't "ordered" Tails dad was causing problems and doing things in a way that weren't the right way to handle it. It was technicly illegal. Sonic didn't wait around for some one to tell him to stop them, he decided himself because he thought it was the wrong thing to do. It's just like how he stops Eggman or other villains, because he thinks they're doing wrong. Besides it's not true that Sonic only serves one group of people, other wise he would not have bothered to help people in other countries and cities which he has done very often. Like the Dragon Kingdom and Mercia and the arctic. He helps anyone he thinks needs help. He's not a soldier or police for the kingdom, he's a hero and just happens to live there.

Also hi, lol, I haven't been around a lot, I forgot my account.... and it seems harder to get issues now sometimes. Some one told me that Archie has a different publisher now and they are having trouble shipping the issues, is that true?

Unfortunately, Kamina and Gwen Stacey did one thing Sally doesn't do. They stayed dead.

I'm not exactly holding my breath on who goes, but they tried to off Sally once. My only caution is that them doing it again had better be really good, because whether you hate the character or not it doesn't make for good story telling to just off her out of dislike. Although that's just the way I see it.

Hope Nicole and Sally survive, wouldn't be the same without them. Get rid of Geoffrey St. John, never liked him much to be honest.

Kinda makes me wish the alternate cover of 225 was colored, so we get a firm grasp on who this character is, but that would have spoiled the issue.

Unfortunately, Kamina and Gwen Stacey did one thing Sally doesn't do. They stayed dead.

I'm not exactly holding my breath on who goes, but they tried to off Sally once. My only caution is that them doing it again had better be really good, because whether you hate the character or not it doesn't make for good story telling to just off her out of dislike. Although that's just the way I see it.

Nobody fucking liked Gwen Stacey when she was alive. Nobody did. People thought she was a bore and a bit obsessive and snobbish compared to the fiery and refreshing Mary Jane hence why she was killed off. Her death was made significant and put the character in a favorable light. That could be Sally. One of those characters who are better off dead. The only reason that I dislike her besides being a token romance option that will never happen is I hate the idea of Sonic being nothing more than a soldier of a particular government and then turned into a king.

@c227, I didn't say Sally commanded Sonic to do so. Sonic inserted himself in the situation because Tails' dad stood up against the kingdom and challenged its authority. The example was made to illustrate how Sonic's allegiance to a certain group of people despite them being wrong(in which case, Tails' dad had every right to challenge the king's authority without being sent to prison for it)has made him into nothing but a political pawn. Technically illegal? Sonic inserting himself in position where both sides are technically right is messed up of him to do. He is not the police. He is Sonic the Hedgehog. He explores the world and helps people because he believes them to be right not because the law says so. If there was an unambiguous situation where morality would be called in question, which side would Sonic be on? Is he only for the interest of Knothole Kingdom or the interest of the entire world? Don't use Dragon Kingdom because they are allies to Knothole or specifically Monkey Khan is. And when has he helped other countries that didn't serve Knothole interest? And to say that he believes in Knothole's beliefs is bullshit. It is like saying that he believes Knothole can do no wrong or he can't think for his damn self.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Agreed. Sonic being a lapdog to the kingdom is something that I have always hated, and still hate about the comic to this day.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

@c227, I didn't say Sally commanded Sonic to do so. Sonic inserted himself in the situation because Tails' dad stood up against the kingdom and challenged its authority. The example was made to illustrate how Sonic's allegiance to a certain group of people despite them being wrong(in which case, Tails' dad had every right to challenge the king's authority without being sent to prison for it)has made him into nothing but a political pawn. Technically illegal? Sonic inserting himself in position where both sides are technically right is messed up of him to do. He is not the police. He is Sonic the Hedgehog. He explores the world and helps people because he believes them to be right not because the law says so. If there was an unambiguous situation where morality would be called in question, which side would Sonic be on? Is he only for the interest of Knothole Kingdom or the interest of the entire world? Don't use Dragon Kingdom because they are allies to Knothole or specifically Monkey Khan is. And when has he helped other countries that didn't serve Knothole interest? And to say that he believes in Knothole's beliefs is bullshit. It is like saying that he believes Knothole can do no wrong or he can't think for his damn self.

Archie Sonic has always been full of shit.

Pretty smooth for him to start slagging off New Mobotropolis' citizens for it's concerns about NICOLE. Weren't the Mobians of the current present time period always raised in a society that eschews technology in an effort to preserve the natural world? Isn't that the same thing that nearly lost them the Great War as well as their ban on guns because of the stupidity of one Prince Emerton centuries in the past?

I think that the citizens of New Mobotropolis as well as Mina being painted as troublemaking devils for their justified concerns over NICOLE and everything she controls is so one-sided as to be utterly presumptious going by the way that a lot of aversion to technology is ingrained in Mobian society, an aversion that could only have been strengthened by the mechanical horrors inflicted upon them by Robotnik Prime and his successor.

Max is obsessed with holding onto and wrangling any sort of power he imagines that he yields. I think it was about time the Kingdom got reformed into a Republic. And IMO, going by the Acorns belligerence and incompetence, Amadeus went the right away about doing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

All this lapdog talk is nonsense. How many times does Sonic have to go rouge before you guys give him credit for being his own Hedgehog. He has defied orders in the past, and will do so again in the future if the situation warrants it. Being under the crown and being a lapdog to the throne are not even remotely close to each other. He may take his fighting orders from the royalty, but he is still a loose cannon which has been pointed out on more than one occasion.

• Thumbs Up 2

And that's why Max never liked him. I don't remember the Republic arc well, but it seemed plain silly to me that some guys from outer space could come home and demand sweeping change in the Kingdom. We were supposed to agree with them because our own governments run in similar fashions. How are we supposed to see a Mobian fear of technology through Nicole when the writing so obviously favors the audience? At what recent point had the monarchy failed them that Sonic would think Amadeus was not just a troublemaker, especially since the Freedom Fighters called the shots on most matters concerning the safety of Knothole. I wouldn't say Sonic's tied down to any one place, just because he can listen to Sally. Does he fight for Sally? He clashed with the King often while the man was in charge. Sonic's known across the Mobian map, not just in Knothole. Just because he has a home to fight for doesn't mean he doesn't stand for other people. To further complain about that arc, it's Ian's style to make things a certain way after the fact. The Kingdom was taken completely for granted before the arc in question, in fact political structure didn't matter much in the Sonic world. Why is it after the arc we're expected to take a republican or monarchist stance on what used to be a fantasy kingdom. Not that it bothers me especially, but could we get a hint at ideas stirring in the populace before we move on to full-tilt revolution? Same with Nicole, when did we know the people were so unsettled with her. We are only told and never shown. Just a small thing that gets to me about the book's style. It's why I prefer to just say Naugus did it. Back to the topic at hand though, with both the revolution and Nicole, Sonic acts against the aggressor naturally. It's just how he is to act quickly. Maybe because of his insider position on events he does that a bit easier. There was a good loyalty story thread back in the Sandblast arc, the Baronies vs. Kingdom. Oh yeah and Knothole rules, screw y'all.

Edited by Dabnikz
  • Thumbs Up 2

I had a look at 222. It was in the comic shop. All of the Freedom Fighters are in the preview image for Genesis. However, Robotnik's in this one too. Interestingly enough, everyone is drawn to the classic Japan spec.

Let's not forget (with the mentioning of technological distrust) what happened to the echidna society. Dimitri uses the Chaos Syphon (advanced technology) to become Enerjak and nearly destroys everything until Edmund stops him. In response the echidnas decide to "ban technology". In protest/vengeance Dimitri's son forms the Dark Legion. This leads to generations of fighting between the two factions of echidna society. And then of course they get almost completely wiped out by Robotnik. You think maybe if they just kept their technology they could have put up a fight. Then again, plenty of other stuff could have gone wrong, but you never know.