Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Random ass thought........ with the reboot and everything and the info that because of said reboot..... someone dies and be brought back. What if in some odd ass random fucking way SONIC'S the who dies and comes back? Just saying...... That cover B could be nothing BUT a lie. It's happened before.

I would giggle in glee if that was somehow the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks to Dubs at Bubmleking for bringing this news to our attention.

It confirms Genesis is a 4-part arc and that the series will resume at #230 from the previous storyline. The fate of someone's life depends on Genesis.

The word reboot is tossed around a lot in this article, but it's likely more of a soft-reset. The article also mentions the next SU arc!

And the cover of #227 was easily predicted after #226. Not quite as epic, but I'm not complaining.

The cover image:

sonic_van_3_02.jpg

The next Sonic Universe arc:

Is Scourge breaking the Zone Cop prison. All hail King Scourge!

A reboot can fuck the hell off. This better not actually be a reboot. The vibe I'm getting is this is gonna be like a dream or maybe Eggman's new plan traps Sonic in some simulator which happens to replicate the first few games of his name, however once he escapes landing back into the main story again? (kinda strapping off that SonicX issue but whatever)

I'd just hate for them to throw away all that they've built for the sake of a shit reboot. " fans are longing for a simpler version of Sonic." When the hell has any fan said this Ian? :angry: First I've ever heard of it. Plus now what was the point of creating the "Sonic Universe" comic which I remember being described as something like 'a comic to elaborate and expand upon the main stories to give more depth and further expand the universe of Sonic'. Well tell me why you even bothered making that comic if apparently all us "fans" (HA! >:[) want is a simplified universe? Why make Sonic Universe at all? Or instead of making Sonic Universe, if there is such an apparent widespread need by people for a simple story, why not have made a seperate series that is simpler and contained in it's own universe? At least not getting SU and keeping our main storyline intact with NO reboots would be more appealing than having SU and the main story but F@#$ing us around with reboot bullshit!

Eh. Scourge and Moebius bores me. Was hoping we'd get a SU arc on somebody interesting.

@Dabnikz No quite as epic!? That cover is awesome and I'm so glad we're getting Spaz back on covers again AND inside the comic too!

Is anyone else slightly annoyed that the Freedom Fighters are going to be apart of this small reboot?

No. Deal with it. They're a part of the comic and always have been. Plus this is not the games. I can see why some people would wanna keep this game characters only but this IS the comics, they have to find a way to intergrate all the comic features into this and I am actually very glad to see they aren't just gonna directly adapt the games straigtht into this arc. I mean I'd love for them to do proper full game adaptaions of games that come out nowadays but that is because they actually have a certain amount of story to tell, I can't see you getting much story out of Sonic 1 with the only characters to play around with being Sonic and Robotnik. What's Sonic gonna do for the whole comic, be silent until Robotnik shows up for him to mouth off at? Or talk to himself the entire issue?

Yeah, I saw the first few panels and thought "AWESOME!" then out of the capsule they came and I thought "oh..".

Not to be a hater, but I could just imagine all the self aware speech balloons popping up "Checkered hills? Sac me bleu!", "What's up with the funky architecture, Sonic?"

Here's hoping Sonic is aware that he is on South Island and tells his friends to STFU and respect his home turf.

Except that those zones do appear in the regular series, granted it's not often but zone from the games are intergrated into the comic Mobius; Sunset Hill, Marble Garden and Oil Ocean just to name a few I can recall off the top of my head. I hardly see the huge divide that people see between OMGZ 3dom faitrz N Clazzic Sonik can't mix!!

It's not as though the FF are stepping into some weird alternate reality filled with stuff they've never seen before. Weird zones exist in the comics and I'm pretty sure GreenHill zone can be located somewhere on the map of Mobius.

That prototype drawing is so awesome! Spaz's work? Is it just me or does it look like Sally is introducing herself to Sonic there? Also, that's how you draw Sally! Cute not like a dude with massive eyebrows like whoever (Tracey Yardley?) has been doing of recent.

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 6

@Dabnikz No quite as epic!? That cover is awesome and I'm so glad we're getting Spaz back on covers again AND inside the comic too!

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad cover. I just don't feel a sense of motion that should be there and Tails looks hella awkward to me. I'm into the game art covers, I just think Spaz's interior work is better than what they put on the front.

@Master-Board: We don't see eye to eye much, but regarding the reboot, I completely agree with your thoughts and consider the reboot idea ridiculous. I'm not a huge stickler of the Sonic Archie Comics series, but it's had a long and well-establish history dating back to the very first issue. Reversing it all and rebooting everything would be a huge travesty to an already developed comic series that's still thriving and growing. Reboots tell me, as a consumer, "Why did you have to start from scratch? Couldn't you develop the series further with what you have? Why reverse it and pretend it didn't happen?" I WON'T be happy if the whole series were to be retconned.

@Master-Board: We don't see eye to eye much, but regarding the reboot, I completely agree with your thoughts and consider the reboot idea ridiculous. I'm not a huge stickler of the Sonic Archie Comics series, but it's had a long and well-establish history dating back to the very first issue. Reversing it all and rebooting everything would be a huge travesty to an already developed comic series that's still thriving and growing. Reboots tell me, as a consumer, "Why did you have to start from scratch? Couldn't you develop the series further with what you have? Why reverse it and pretend it didn't happen?" I WON'T be happy if the whole series were to be retconned.

Glad we can agree on something then! :)

Yeah I never think reboots are good ideas. Granted in some cases they are, but here isn't one of those. I mean the Sonic comic is the worlds longest running comic book based on a video game character and it has a rather large following, pretty sure they're doing something right. Why rock the boat?

It especially seems odd to me that they would even consider doing something like this because the stories as of the last few years seem to have been doing everything to make all the old history come back into the spotlight again. I mean Monkey Khan, the Iron Queen (pretty sure she's an old character?) the different Freedom Fighter groups, the great potrayal of old baddies like Nack the weasel and introducing Bean and Bark in, the anti-FF from Moebius and their redesign. Everything done recently seems like steps in the right direction to create a deeper world of interest and seems like a complete opposite of this intended reboot idea.

Uh... Seriously, guys, its only four issues. And more than likely its going to SOMEHOW tie into the main Archie canon, anyway. Its just adapting the original games, probably prequeling the beginning of the series, before going back to the current time and continuing where 225 leaves off.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they're still continuing the Sonic Universe arcs, I seriously doubt there's going to be a reboot. It might bring the comics closer to the game canon, but a complete reboot would be throwing away all the things they've built up and managed to keep using for almost 20 years straight.

That, and seeing how the Sonic Universe still ties into the main comics, that makes it all the more unlikely. Besides, making it completely like the game canon would be incredibly redundant on the count of the stories already being told by the game canon, and the fact that the comics borrow ideas and makes adaptations out of them just further prevents it from being a reboot.

But here's seeing what they'll do.

Read this part of the article, "

The "Genesis" event will continue in the main Sonic title through the summer, ending with Issue #229.

"After that, we'll be picking up where we left off in Sonic the Hedgehog #225," Flynn said, hinting that the premise of "Genesis" will not completely alter the main title's universe. "But there will some serious ramifications, namely the life of one character will hang in the balance."

Flynn didn't want to indicate what characters might be affected after "Genesis" ends. "Since this is a reboot," he said, "seeing who comes back and how is part of the surprise."

Hopefully it clears things up, and besides you think he's even going to tell the newsarama people THE WHOLE/REAL TRUTH?! ;)

Edited by bwrosas

@The-Master-Board: Relax will ya, what I mean is the first characters Sonic meets are the Freedom Fighters, considering this temporary reboot is supposed to tie into the games, you'd think the first characters he meets would be Tails or Knuckles, then the Freedom Fighters. And I'm against a reboot too, considering it would cause a LOT of retconning which would be stupid.

And besides I'm a lot better at it than most people, who hate this reboot in general because of the Freedom Fighters are in it.

This seems to really remind me of Sonic X comics 10 and 11 where Dr Eggman puts Sonic into the virtual world of the Sonic 1 video game. Along the way he bumps into other characters in different zones.

When you think about it like that, I hate to say it because I have said its a stupid idea for weeks, it could be Nicole on the front of 225. She lays dying of something and Sonic decides to go into her core programming and save her life. But of course, she has become more mobian hence her programming looks like a better Mobius, hence the Genesis look. The Robotnik being inside the program could be somekind of Robotnik virus or something that is actually killing her.

There, I joined in the death talk, its not gonna happen again until it happens.

Am I the only one who's not at all worried over a temporary reboot of a comic book? :mellow:

:blink:In regards to the Genesis thing, what if it has something to do with Eggman's thory about Sonic having "The Chaos Factor" he mentioned in #213 (I'm not sure if that's the issue) and given that at some point he obtains a Chaos Emerald in 224's back-up, he creates some way to counter Sonic's said factor? :blink:

Edited by DragonSoul

JESUS CHRIST Master Board, did you even read the article before insulting Ian like he was planning to rape your mother?

guys, it's a reboot. a temporary one. Remember that issue where Green Knuckles was constantly rewriting continuity and returning it to normal? think that, for 4 issues.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 2

JESUS CHRIST Master Board, did you even read the article before insulting Ian like he was planning to rape your mother?

guys, it's a reboot. a temporary one. Remember that issue where Green Knuckles was constantly rewriting continuity and returning it to normal? think that, for 4 issues.

Yes but it sounds like most of it, will sort of be separate from the main storyline, just like Mobuis Years later was like before it's Sonic Universe spin off, because it sounds like we get a cliffhanger ending in 225 and then concluded in someway in 230 with some,if not small effect/altering from the Genesis arc.

Edited by bwrosas

THOR ODINSON KKM, When you throw the word reboot around so much what do expect exactly?

Considering I was voicing my concerns over things mentioned in the article I'd say it's a pretty stupid question to ask if I actually read the article or not. Did you bother to fully read my post before attempting to insult me?

And where exactly did I insult Ian so severly? All I was bringing light to was the fact that what he said seems to have no basis because as far as I've seen no fans of the comic (at least not the amount to warrant a reboot) have been calling for a simpler universe, it's not like I said I wanna punch him in the vagina.

If he ain't doing a proper reboot then why fucking call it a reboot? It only causes unease amongst fans that don't wanna see a reboot. That being said here's what I see going down; this side story (not the stupidly unecessary panic causing "reboot" word) will happen then the status quo will return - so I guess we who are against the reboot will have seemed to have been overreacting paranoid fools, however I think this "reboot" might be grounds for Ian testing what an actual full blown reboot would pan out like. Ya know see if it's receieved well and then go in that direction.

So yeah I'd say there's cause for panic. I mean it's classic Sonic game themed with old levels!! Of course people are gonna love it. Don't want that mistaken as people will love a reboot of the series to make it simpler. And no I don't see this being a huge stretch to believe, why use the damn word reboot so much if you're not intending to do anything like a reboot?

This seems to really remind me of Sonic X comics 10 and 11 where Dr Eggman puts Sonic into the virtual world of the Sonic 1 video game. Along the way he bumps into other characters in different zones.

When you think about it like that, I hate to say it because I have said its a stupid idea for weeks, it could be Nicole on the front of 225. She lays dying of something and Sonic decides to go into her core programming and save her life. But of course, she has become more mobian hence her programming looks like a better Mobius, hence the Genesis look. The Robotnik being inside the program could be somekind of Robotnik virus or something that is actually killing her.

There, I joined in the death talk, its not gonna happen again until it happens.

This is actually one of the avenues of thought I had. I wouldn't actually mind if it turned out to be exactly like this even if it is a little close to that SonicX storyline (one of the only SonicX issues I bought due to having classic Sonic goodness in it!)
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 4

That prototype drawing is so awesome! Spaz's work? Is it just me or does it look like Sally is introducing herself to Sonic there? Also, that's how you draw Sally! Cute not like a dude with massive eyebrows like whoever (Tracey Yardley?) has been doing of recent.

SOMEONE isn't up to date with their artists. Then again, I can probably map out your thoughts on the recent art:

It's not Spaz-> It sucks -> It must be Yardley!'s.

As for everything else your post originally contained: lol, u so mad.

Edited by RootingForTheEmpire
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm not even sure myself to be honest. Was this one Bate's work, or is it the issue where we switched back to Butler?

Yuck. Even when Spaz is apparently trying to be loyal to the SEGA-ish proportions of the original games, he still insists on those ugly humanoid designs for the Freedom Fighters. Wish Ben Bates was drawing this arc.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Yuck. Even when Spaz is apparently trying to be loyal to the SEGA-ish proportions of the original games, he still insists on those ugly humanoid designs for the Freedom Fighters. Wish Ben Bates was drawing this arc.

Which artist is Ben Bates again? Is he the one who is currently doing the main series comic? Like the latest issue #222 and who did the Oil Ocean zone two part Sandblast FF arc (#217 and #218 I think?) because if that's him I actually do quite like his work, pretty much everything he does except Sally. His Sally still looks way too much like a dude, although not as bad as Yardley's interpretation!

I lovee Spaz's work. His Sally is amazing and I can't wait for this arc especially if he is doing both the covers and the entire inside art! Top notch!

• Bad Quality Post 3

Here's the new Genesis preview image from #222. Enjoy! :)

188285_149295555134290_100001615403873_310478_4161195_n.jpg

..."because it's all part of the game?"

Sounds like the Sonic 1 throwback arc from the Sonic X comic. Sonic and co trapped in a virtual world, much?

Edited by Indigo Rush

From Vaporotem, posted on Bumbleking. Really thank her and not me.

*image*

Wish she post that on her devART. i love her work :).

They just love throwing in out-of-context Eggman quotes for these previews, don't they? XD