Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Sorry about that Tobbii

Just listing between 7:00-8:45 on this Linkara vid, you may be surprised at what he says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoG0er3la0M

This is bullocks. First off, this was supposed to be the grand finale of the Ultimate Comics. Spider-man supposedly died in here before getting a revamp. The characters that did die in there were superflous and unnecessary since their Ultimate versions weren't selling and it ended there anyways. Spider-man, the Ultimates,the Fantastic Four, and the few of the X-men(the popular ones to the teenaged crowd that Ultimate versions are marketed to) survived the Ultimatum wave. Why so many X-Men died? Because it marked the end of Magneto and was the discovery of mutants being man-made and not the natural advancement of human life. Without the marquee villain, the X-men became pointless and unnecessary so he killed a ton of them off. Big deal. Second, Linkara doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Not killing a character because they have a fanbase is absurd and doesn't advance the story at all. Ultimatum remains significant in the Ultimate universe because so many people died and do many heroes lost their lives. Spider-man still has nightmares about it and its impact remains significant to characters like Johnny Storm, Bobby Drake, and Kitty Pryde. Finally, don't compare their deaths to the death in Sonic. There wasn't a mass killing as there was in Ultimatum. There was one significant death that the reader felt attackment to. It wasn't needless and it wasn't pointless. It was not like every SATM character all of the sudden just got wasted. If that happened, then I would have been pissed off.Also, those characters could very well had an effective and believable blaze of glory. Sally? Not so much.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I love Sally. You all know this. However, I actually would prefer that if she is dead, it happened in such an anti-climatic way. Blaze of glory deaths somehow seem more cheap to me. It feels more real to me, and more hard hitting, when a character who's been through so many dramatic scenarios and met with gods and cheated death so many times would just, almost randomly, get gunned down by a lone turret upon turning a corner. She's just mortal. She's just a person.

I even think her dying that way would redeem her character a bit (if she stays dead *cough*). She wasn't immortal or invincible. She was just a Freedom Fighter and she was killed so simply and easily. I'd like to remember her that way rather than glorified and immortalised by some crazy over-the-top death scene.

Then again, I really doubt she's gone for good, in which case it WOULD become a cheap death =P

Whatever happens in Genesis, the Freedom Fighters are essentially fighting an uphill battle. While they were frolicking around on dates and shit, Eggman has amassed an even more effective and dilligent army with the Raiju clan, Battle Bird Armada(who seem to have ties with the Babylon Rogues), the Dark Egg Legionaires, and the Wolfpack. Each affialated group has an ace up their sleeve and can go toe to toe with anyone not named Sonic, Shadow, and Knuckles. He has strongholds around the globe and a Chaos Emerald(I like how Ian put over the importance of them). The only group with a leg up on them is the Federation and judging by their ace team's lack of reluctance in fighting with their supposed allies, they may have ulterior motives. Chaotix is stationary at Angel Island thus hindering their involvement. With all the advantages and assets Eggman has, why does he even bother with Mobotropolis?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

And after about all of Eggman's time to get ready where does this put the freedom fighters? At about Issue #199. Eggman Attacks and everything's going wrong. So looks like next issue is gonna be the equivalent of #200. Starts out bad with morning over the

death of Sal

and things pick back up and the FFs win. But the ride there is different and fun all the same and manages to keep me looking forward to the next issue.

I think a better examples would be:

Kamina from Gurren Lagann, He died 8 episodes into the series and at that point, he was pretty much the only reason people watched the show, even going as far to quit after he died. But the show without a doubt got so much better BECAUSE he died, so it shows a major character can die, and not drag the show to hell.

Personally while he was what without a doubt a very special character, the main reason why the show got better was because the main character grew up and moved on, similar to what happens in SDF Macross after Roy Focker dies and Hikaru mans up and even becomes the next CAG of the Skull Squadron

So I'm thinking of starting reading Archie again. How easy is it to jump into the series if you havn't read since the Sonic 3 comic in the early 90's?

Aww... Guess I'll toss that idea aside then, don't want to read up on 15 years of continuity. :P

To be fair, things have gotten mind-boggling even for those who have followed the series non-stop for 18 years now due to Geoffrey's face heel turn being based on the most innocuous of events. :blink:

Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway and see if I can grasp it, I were able to get back into Spider-Man after about 7 years of not reading, so maybe it'll work.

Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway and see if I can grasp it, I were able to get back into Spider-Man after about 7 years of not reading, so maybe it'll work.

Use this(for info when you cant find the comics) , and this (if you need back issues from resent years). If you need back issues from old years here is a nice place.

Ian's run (#160 to present) are mostly light reads and don't take very long to finish. Although, that's already about 65 issues to catch up on -- and that's not counting another 28 issues from the sister series, "Sonic Universe." Other stuff of interest are some of the earlier stuff, around issues #25-87, and Return to Angel Island #138-141. There's also some of the specials inbetween. You can consult this thread for some more information.

There's also this semi-satirical chart to look at. :P

Edited by Illuminous_Orb
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure that Ian will do the right thing.

And not kill Sally off.

He'd better.

Lol, a little satirical. They'd wanna be I mean how does replacing Tracey Yardley, an artist, with Butler another artist somehow make the story arc, a writers job, worse? Lol.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure that Ian will do the right thing.

And not kill Sally off.

Then what the hell was the point of hyping this issue up, if nothing comes from it?

I'll be VERY pissed if nothing does happen to her, not because I hate Sally, but because we were told something ground breaking would happen to change the status quo, for nothing to come from that, it would be false advertising on Ian's part, and really bad for the comic franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I'm thinking of starting reading Archie again. How easy is it to jump into the series if you havn't read since the Sonic 3 comic in the early 90's?

Well i stopped reading around early 80s and picked it up again at issue #185. God i'm glad i avoid that penders thing like the plague comics' better off now where it is. Start around where i started its just before the iron dominion arc and you don't really need to know anything else about the comic's past to pick it up there (having a vague idea though is good!).

Use this if you get confused:

http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/The_Archie_Sonic_Wiki

Lol, a little satirical. They'd wanna be I mean how does replacing Tracey Yardley, an artist, with Butler another artist somehow make the story arc, a writers job, worse? Lol.

I do believe that they're meant to be different points i.e. Butler replaces Yardley AND The story arc quality goes down, not that the former caused the latter.

If Sally's not going to die, at least Legionise her or something...

Edited by VEDJ-F

Well i stopped reading around early 80s

How does that work? Think ya' mean Early 90s. =P

Tommy Turtle is one of my favorites why all the hate?

I can't think of a good reason to hate the guy! So I'm interested in hearing yours.

Edited by dirupti

I think by 80's he's refering to issue numbers, not decade. :P

I think by 80's he's refering to issue numbers, not decade. :P

Oh, =P That will explain it!

Edited by dirupti

Finally got the issue today even though I thought for sure it would be delayed because of Memorial Day.

I loved it. The art, the tension, everything about it makes me anticipate Genesis!

I still don't know how to put in spoiler tags, so I'll just use color font like I usually do (though I would like it if someone told me how, please?)

:unsure: I was honestly indifferent to Sally's "death." She's one of those characters in Archie I don't like nor hate and I somehow knew she'd be the one to get "killed" since she and Sonic got back together because Sega still had the 'Sonic stays single' mandate and the reason why they probably let it slide a little in #222 was because they knew about how #225 would play out and the romance wouldn't last long. That, and I'm gonna wait how Genesis plays out to see if she's really dead or not. It really won't matter to me either way if she's still alive or permenatly dead because like I said, I never really card for her to begin with. <_<

Edited by DragonSoul

spoilers tags are done like this:

[ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] but without the spaces. There is no button for them.

spoilers tags are done like this:

[ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] but without the spaces. There is no button for them.

Oh, thanks. Just felt like a dumbass for still not getting the hang of it yet. :unsure:

You are not a dumbass DragonSoul. *pats DragonSoul on the back :blush: *

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a button for spoilers if you go next to the fonts pull down where it says other styles. Select it and it'll make the tags for you.