Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Despite recent issues having him going through Green Hill, stomping badniks, fighting Eggman, going Super Sonic, and such.

I've seen this shit a bajillion times and everytime I believe its a unfair hyperbole. That kind of assumption honestly hasnt been relevant ever since Penders ended run.

Journey of the East. You know what the main conflict was in that arc? It wasn't trying to get the clans to leave the Iron Dominion. No. That was the easy part. It was Sally trying to decide whom to play lovey dovey with: Monkey Khan or Sonic. Hell, I recall one issue during the Iron Queen invasion that focused solely on the romance as if it were some shit straight out of Mary Jane Loves Spider-man(which was great because it dealt with perspective, but not what would be in an official Spider-man comic) and not occurring during, I don't know, a fucking invasion.

Or that whole fiasco where Sonic hooked up with Fiona which was so out of left field that it made my head spin?

Yeah, there are hints of it that just need to be stamped out.

But Turbo, we musn't forget what the Fiona fiasco led to; An all-out fistfight between Sonic and Tails after and during the latters dad is busted out of jail and instigates a revolution. A fight between two "Best Friends" (Presumably, I'm not quite sure where I stand on this consider Sally is unquestionably Sonic's BF), whom have known each other since the latters birth.

I mean really? Tails fighting the only big brother/parental figure he's ever known in his entire life apart from Rosie, Sally and presumably Julayla until his parents returned over a girl? A girl much older than him and much less interested? I mean, really?

Edited by Verte

In which the revolution was resolved by a tea party? Guess who suggested the tea party? Sally "All too perfect" Acorn.

But Turbo, we musn't forget what the Fiona fiasco led to; An all-out fistfight between Sonic and Tails after and during the latters dad is busted out of jail and instigates a revolution.

Boy did she seriously screw up the bro code at that moment...or did she? I never read that issue, I just know Sonic and Tails of all character went at each others throats at that moment.

Not to be a whiner or anything, but I find it funny how 80% of the comments here are always about how romance has ruined the comic, etc etc. It dosent even seem you guys like the comics that much, if at all. :/

I was told by a close friend that I should stop prematurely judging the comic book since it's 'gotten better' since I last stopped following it.

So I've been keeping up with it. Yeah, it's better. Is it actually good? ..Arguable. I still have plenty of issues with it, but I don't know. There have been plenty of worse things I've dealt with.

Edited by Chooch

I have Archie Sonic characters in my signature. They are some of my favourite characters out of ALL the Sonic universes, including the games.

Having said that, are the Archie Sonic comics really any good, compared to other comics and especially as a representation of the central (game) canon? Haha, no. The comics are a silly and rather guilty pleasure, with the occasional good story, many mediocre and poor stories, and very inconsistent art quality.

Even so, why should that be a problem? Not everything I like is brilliant, and not everything that's brilliant I like. I see no reason why we can't complain about the comic's many flaws, inconsistencies and poorly written characters and still enjoy it to a degree.

On that note, there IS far too much romance in the book. It's an unavoidable fact that the whole 'shipping nonsense is grating a LOT of people the wrong way. I personally adore Sally, but I can't stand the whole SonSal business. It dominates FAR too much of the comic and is one of the factors that seems to warp the main cast severely out of character whenever it occurs, like light bending in the extreme gravitational force of a black hole. It's just... nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, its called criticism, god we make a few complaints about the comic and then we're called whiners, why do we have to love this book? The topic doesn't say we're not allowed to post criticism on it

Ok what? Ive never said that no one is allowed to post criticism on it, good lord. All im saying is that all im seeing is mostly nothing but criticism, and yes I realize how fanboyish I sound, but that's honestly how I am seeing it.

Journey of the East. You know what the main conflict was in that arc? It wasn't trying to get the clans to leave the Iron Dominion. No. That was the easy part. It was Sally trying to decide whom to play lovey dovey with: Monkey Khan or Sonic.

It sound more like the part you decided to focus on.

Hell, I recall one issue during the Iron Queen invasion that focused solely on the romance as if it were some shit straight out of Mary Jane Loves Spider-man(which was great because it dealt with perspective, but not what would be in an official Spider-man comic) and not occurring during, I don't know, a fucking invasion.

1: That wasn't an invasion

2: All that was there to that issue was the Iron King smashing stuff, so im not surprised that they added the extra layer

Or that whole fiasco where Sonic hooked up with Fiona which was so out of left field that it made my head spin?

To be fair, that was during Penders' tenure, where uneeded romance was the norm

It sound more like the part you decided to focus on.

It was the focus. Sonic constantly kept wondering about the new couple and Sally kept needing to be reassured by Sonic or Khan. Finding a resolution to each conflict(each clan) was quick and rushed. Honestly, I just wanted to see more of Conquering Bride.

1: That wasn't an invasion

2: All that was there to that issue was the Iron King smashing stuff, so im not surprised that they added the extra layer

When an entity comprised of an army attacks another city, it is an invasion. If a battle is happening just outside your village or whatever, you don't pick petals off a flower.

And that extra layer didn't have to be about Sally pondering about her love life, but oh shit, it was.

To be fair, that was during Penders' tenure, where uneeded romance was the norm

It led to a fist fight between Sonic and Tails...over a girl.

Edited by turbojet

This reply will sound a little extreme, so I really don't mind how vitrolic peeps reply to it.

I'll be honest, I don't mind a little bit of romantic teasing. I mean, it's in the games in it's own subtle way, and the nature of comics generally means that it will get a little more exposure over time. That said, I really think Ian's dropped the ball when he says that romance is an element of Sonic (to the extent that the comics have gone) because, quite honestly, that's bullshit. I'm sure quite a few would argue that it's only natural given it's roots with Sally and SatAM and all that, and I'll just tell them to watch SatAM/read the early comics again and notice that the romance at least came with a plot and action (even though I still have plenty of Sally-related issues in regards to SatAM, but now's not the time for it). When you have entire issues dedicately mainly to the love life of Sonic and/or Sally, then you know you're missing the point of Sonic (and yes, I do hold Penders[/bollers to an extent] to that complaint as well).

Of course, this is all too easy to say as someone who doesn't like SonSal at all, so let's make a theoretical scenario without that; let's pretend, in an prospective future, that an issue comes out, and it just so happens to be about Vector romancing Espio on a cheap dinner date. My first reaction to this? Well, it'd go along the lines of "Um, what the fuck? They're the Chaotix Detective Agency, shouldn't they be doing something more interesting like beating up thieves or having a bumbling adventure to retrieve lost jewellery or...SOMETHING that doesn't bore everyone?" Because, quite honestly, the dating hijinks are best left to the fanfics.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually really enjoyed the idea of a fight between Sonic and Tails. And seeing them actually in combat against each other (without one or the other being controlled by anything external) was pretty awesome. I would have paid for a story to be written about them having a physical/emotional tiff like that.

But the reason behind the fight was just horrible. They should not have been fighting about a goddamned girl. Both of them were acting so stupidly and out-of-character due to Fiona that it just made me want to scream in frustration. And the resolution of the fight, as a consequence, was just so anti-climatic and weak... man, they could have really made a good story about a rift between Sonic and Tails. But they didn't, and it was lame.

• Thumbs Up 1

But the reason behind the fight was just horrible. They should not have been fighting about a goddamned girl. Both of them were acting so stupidly and out-of-character due to Fiona that it just made me want to scream in frustration. And the resolution of the fight, as a consequence, was just so anti-climatic and weak... man, they could have really made a good story about a rift between Sonic and Tails. But they didn't, and it was lame.

To clear that up SONIC never knew the fight was about a girl, he thought it was about the fact that Tails' goddamned dad was jailed, which is understandable, the instant he figured the fight was about Fiona, he immeditaly stopped fighting Tails, and resolved the issue.

Yes because simply having a Green hill zone, Badniks, and Eggman makes it a Sonic Comic.

Um...yes? What else do you really want?

You can have Green Hill Zone, badniks and Eggman, but that doesn't necessarily mean something feels like Sonic.

I think you can assume that's a lot of people's core problem with the Archie Sonic comics. Look and feel are two different things.

I can look at SatAM, see Sonic, see Tails, see them both showing off their trademark abilities and such.. does that mean that 'it's Sonic' to me? Well not really, which is why I don't really care for it.

Edited by Chooch

Um...yes? What else do you really want?

You want a list, dude? I can make the longest post I've ever made doing so. ;)

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

To clear that up SONIC never knew the fight was about a girl, he thought it was about the fact that Tails' goddamned dad was jailed, which is understandable, the instant he figured the fight was about Fiona, he immeditaly stopped fighting Tails, and resolved the issue.

But it shouldn't have been about that in the first place. They were BOTH being completely stupid about it. I mean, Tails was being completely immature and dense (which would be fine if he was prone to acting his age that way, but he's not), and more to the point, Sonic was a gigantic DOUCHE. I mean, he tells Tails that he mainly got with Fiona to help Tails get over her. Wtf? That is not only completely against the bro code, but also Fiona was blatantly just a fill-in whilst Sonic and Sally were away. It was THE most ridiculous thing for Sonic and Tails to have tension over. Tails could have been pissed because he gets left out and treated like a kid so much - that would have been reason enough. The Fiona thing was just pointless and retarded and just made everyone look like assholes. Especially Sonic.

You can have Green Hill Zone, badniks and Eggman, but that doesn't necessarily mean something feels like Sonic.

I think you can assume that's a lot of people's core problem with the Archie Sonic comics. Look and feel are two different things.

I can look at SatAM, see Sonic, see Tails, see them both showing off their trademark abilities and such.. does that mean that 'it's Sonic' to me? Well not really, which is why I don't really care for it.

I would genuinely like to know how the comics can "feel" like an "actual" Sonic comic other than getting rid of the characters that weren't in the game.

Hell in Satam Sonic was smashing robots, visiting unique locations,and facing off against Robotnick. Is it because of the setting? Because I must reiterate that this sub series was made back when Sonic barely had a semblance of a grounded story, Sonic vs Eggman was about as deep as it got back then. Today, they took many liberties you incorporate the games with the comics, you have Angel Island, Station Square, G.U.N, many of the games' characters, they even have pasts zones shown in new light such as Oil Ocean.

I think there is a fine line between having original content, having the content of the source material. I honestly don't think the scales are tipped to far in the comics' favor.

Edited by Soniman032-

When hormones hit your balls

And you feel something strong

That's a-more~

And a girl walks her way,

With a sensual sway,

That's a-more~

And you feel something ting,

Something on your ding-a-ling,

That's a-more~

And that thing makes you rage

And tear out your bro's face

That's...um..

<.<

>_>

<_>

Um. Yeah. Poor taste.

Sorry about that. Couldn't resist with the whole Tails/Sonic/Fiona and the violation of the bro-code. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 6

OMG LOL. He's suing SEGA and EA? This is about to be some Bukkake up in here

I was gonna say tentacle ****, but that's just me going to far.

Still, the guy just doesn't give up, does he? And this has been going on for how long?

That particular file has been going on since April, according to the info near the bottom of the page.

I would genuinely like to know how the comics can "feel" like an "actual" Sonic comic other than getting rid of the characters that weren't in the game.

Hell in Satam Sonic was smashing robots, visiting unique locations,and facing off against Robotnick. Is it because of the setting? Because I must reiterate that this sub series was made back when Sonic barely had a semblance of a grounded story, Sonic vs Eggman was about as deep as it got back then. Today, they took many liberties you incorporate the games with the comics, you have Angel Island, Station Square, G.U.N, many of the games' characters, they even have pasts zones shown in new light such as Oil Ocean.

I think there is a fine line between having original content, having the content of the source material. I honestly don't think the scales are tipped to far in the comics' favor.

I never said all Archie elements should die. Mainly the romantic part of it that displaces everything else. I honestly favor Sonic's personality aka his snarkiness(hell in that very review, I give Ian props for that pretty hilarious remark about Eggman) in this universe than the game. I prefer the potential and the overall setting. The only thing that I want to die down is the romantic plot tumors and the Mary-Sue personality of Sally which kind of ties in with the former. I hate characters like Julie-Su, but that has more to do with Penders' echidna fetish and fucking soultouch and I hate 25 YL because I just don't like future plots in general. I have said this many times and you keep misconstruing it as me being "games" only when I, for one, fucking buy the damn book and I, for two, have defended it against those games only assholes before.

The whole Sonic-Tails-Fiona thing was stupid.

Tails never really loved Fiona. All he did was take the feelings that he had for robot Fiona and transfer them to the real thing. I think that he saw Fiona as more of an "object" then a person.

Luckly Ian made Fiona a villain(and a more interesting character).

Edited by Darkfox

Luckly Ian made Fiona a villain(and a more interesting character).

What does this have to do with Sonic & Tails fighting? Matter of fact isn't that the reason they fought to begin with?

OMG LOL. He's suing SEGA and EA? This is about to be some Bukkake up in here

Um... this has been going on for months now. It was even discussed earlier in this very topic.