Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Ken has just REALLLY REALLYYY UNPLEASANT styles in both his basic line work and his coloring. With the right tweaking a competent artist can make those designs much better than they are.

But you would be essentially decorating a shit concept with sprinkles and frosting...and at the end of the day its still shit.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Penders is funny.

Who says they're echidnas? Seriously, I'm the guy who created these characters in the first place, none of whom were inspired by, were based on, or have anything to do with Sega (or Archie for that matter). Despite the uproar from what I see, there is a large contingent out there who loved those old stories and want to see what happens. Beyond that, there's a good chance the younger crowd will enjoy the stories, and because I'm taking the same approach that I did when writing the earlier series, that adults will enjoy the stories as well.

There was absolutely nothing in the video games or anywhere else to base a viable long-running series on utilizing the Knuckles character, as has been pointed out by many people over the years.

I suspect the uproar over Lien-Da is precisely because her design is so radically different from her previous incarnation compared to Julie-Su and Lara-Su, as well as the fact that people are taking what I'm doing seriously, if the coverage and my e-mail is any indication. The fact that people are willing to go to war over this on message boards is scaring a number of fans from engaging publicly in the conversation. I also never expected a united Sonic fandom behind me - or anywhere even a majority - simply because there is no such thing. The gamers were dismissive of our comics back then, as well as factions arguing whether Sonic UK or SegaSonic or Archie Sonic was better. This is something I've experienced nearly from the beginning and it's nothing new. Remember ENDGAME? It it weren't for the fact that sales took an unexpected leap upward, issue 50 was the swan song with Sonic and company going out in a blaze of glory. The uproar now is nothing compared to when I leaked it I was killing off Sally.

So I guess they are not echidnas. laugh.png

Now he's saying how we bicker and feud amongst ourselves. Oh Ken, your angering a sleeping giant there. So they're not echidnas then/ Humour me. What are they? I think my patience with this rubbish has just evaporated.

Who says they're echidnas? Seriously, I'm the guy who created these characters in the first place, none of whom were inspired by, were based on, or have anything to do with Sega (or Archie for that matter).

>Not inspired by anything from SEGA

>All look like crappy Knuckles retools

By jove, I think this man is actually retarded.

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 5

Alright then, that settles it, they're not the same characters. That means anyone that was a fan of those characters need not worry about the series since they're different. That means Ken's viable consumer base has dropped to 0.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't he sort of, contradict himself?

I mean, he hints that they aren't Echidna's in the first place, (But, really, what the hell are they then?) And then says he is doing this for the people who want to see what happens from the old stories.

And, correct me if I'm wrong..

But weren't they Echidna's in the old stories too?

I swear, this is going in circles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't he sort of, contradict himself?

I mean, he hints that they aren't Echidna's in the first place, (But, really, what the hell are they then?) And then says he is doing this for the people who want to see what happens from the old stories.

And, correct me if I'm wrong..

But weren't they Echidna's in the old stories too?

I swear, this is going in circles.

Oh! Oh! I got one!

They're Echidna hybrids!

That extremely Mary Sue-ish biologically-impossible trait so frequently seen in fancharacters. You know what I mean; Hedgechidna's, Foxchidna's etc. Wouldn't surprise me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, I'm the guy who created these characters in the first place, none of whom were inspired by, were based on, or have anything to do with Sega
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seat ready...

THISGONBGUD.gif

Popcorn popped...

michaeleatinpopcorn.gif

Yep, I am ready to continue witnessing the Ken Penders trainwreck.

EDIT: Maybe the KP fiasco should have it's own thread away from talking about the comics in general?

Edited by AuroraRedwinters

Penders' lapdog has said 'It was a joke' Ken didn't mean it, they really are echidnas... the reason why he didn't mean it is because his next sentence began with the word 'seriously.'

It looks like there are a few people here that took Ken's tounge-in-cheek comment about his characters not being echidnas and totally blew it out of proportion. Him starting off the next sentence after said comment with "Seriously" shows it was a joke. Get a hold of yourselves, guys. Relax.

Who would like a reminder as to what was said?

Who says they're echidnas? Seriously, I'm the guy who created these characters in the first place, none of whom were inspired by, were based on, or have anything to do with Sega (or Archie for that matter).

Only to me that sounds a lot like he says 'Who says they're echidnas' then begins a new statement claiming that he owns them all... I don't really see a punch line other than Ken Penders himself.

So there we go, it was all a big mis-understanding. We all read what Ken said as being what Ken said... when really we should have read what Ken said as being... ... ... something totally different.

Well I dunno, maybe it will turn out good in the end? Seriously, I think it will.

In other words, those archie characters are still echindas... but they're not... it all depends on how seriously you take it?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

Your being way too postitive for Penders Hoggy. The guy is either the greatest troll to ever hit our fanbase or hes off his fucking nut!

Theres no way this is going to end well.

Your being way too postitive for Penders Hoggy. The guy is either the greatest troll to ever hit our fanbase or hes off his fucking nut!

Theres no way this is going to end well.

Oh! But I said seriously after that... That means I was kidding... At least according to the folks over at la la land it does.

Okay, if they are Echidna's...

They are clearly using the SEGA's Knuckles style for it, so yes, they have to do with SEGA. And you can't claim them as only yours considering you're using their design.

Continuing the original stories, with the same names, and SEGA design for the Echidna means he is also taking something he made for Archie, but I'm pretty sure Archie still owns the original stories, no?

He just shot himself in the foot!

@Xenos Well yea considering they are re-releasing the KNUCKLES Archives and older Sonic issues and that certain characters are still popping up in the book that are in ARCHIE comics who get permission of SEGA and overlook them, Even if this helps JAZWARES told Joe Amaro that they didnt want to do the comic characters coz first off they werent SEGA of JAPAN's designs and that down the road eventually they would be able to get the licence from Archie and SEGA of America to make them.

His entire argument seems to be based around lies, but from my experience with courts, that is not going to stop him from winning. On the other hand, the mans almost penniless. He probably can't afford to carry this out much longer. If they get a halfway decent judge then I don't see pender's victory as possible.

More Penders silliness, this time in regards to the copyright stuff;

Where do I say the characters had nothing to do with the comic? By the same token, that doesn't mean Sega or Archie had anything to do with the development of the characters or set-up that took place in the series.

The reason I ran with the KNUCKLES series as opposed to continuing as the head writer of the SONIC book is precisely because I had a blank slate to work with. There was nothing viable to make a series work until I went in and assembled the whole operation. Knuckles could have just as easily lived in the arctic at his fortress of solitude guarding the last power chip and you're still going to have to do something in order to make the character viable on an ongoing basis. The games certainly don't supply enough of anything to go beyond one 48-page special.

If people like Julie-Su, Locke, the Brotherhood of the Guardians, Lara-Le, Constable Remington, Kragok, the Dark Legion, Lien-Da and Dimitri, to say nothing of Archimedes, Harry the Cabbie, Gala-Na and Lara-Su, that's my work work they're enjoying, not something created by Sega or Archie. Nor can Ian lay claim to the material, either because he isn't allowed to do anything with it or he has yet to show a clear understanding of the characters. The Dark Legion I know, especially Lien-Da, would've had Eggman in any incarnation for breakfast. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the ability and talent to do something well. It's just that he doesn't have the same stake in the characters that I do.

The characters and set-up can easily exist outside what people consider the Sega Universe because it literally has nothing to do with the Sega Universe as Sega itself sees it. That's what people don't seem to get.

If someone doesn't like what I do, fine. That's their choice. They should support what they like. But don't act like there isn't an audience for my characters and the world they inhabit. SONIC UNIVERSE proves that. As a Star Trek fan and someone who actually worked on the comics themselves, I attempted to launch an official Klingon series back in the 90's. The only reason Paramount wasn't sold on the idea at the time is that they didn't think anyone would be interested in a Klingon film or TV series, and if they couldn't make it work, no one could. I still believe I could have made it work, based on the response I've received over the years on my Trek work.

When I discuss what I'm up to with anyone, I never treat the other person any less than how I expect to be treated. I may not agree with you, but I don't insult or belittle anyone. And I let people have their say. All I ask for is some courtesy when engaging in the conversation. Thanks for listening.

I'm especially fleeing to the nearest bunker if Dr Mechano or similar folk come near this topic...

Dark Legion versus Eggman? Dark Legion on top? This is turning so petty. We all know Eggman would win simply due to the fact he is more technilogically advanced, has more weapons, is more ruthless and simply much more dangerous. I don't think Lien Da would risk her entire race over one plan. Eggman was going to let them all explode so he could win, in comparison. Eggman is that brand of insane he would never stop until they are all dead. "For brekfast". Pah.

The Dark Legion I know, especially Lien-Da, would've had Eggman in any incarnation for breakfast.

First we have Archie trying to pretentiously force it's continuity on the rest of the series by claiming that all Sonic continuities are linked through the Cosmic Interstate and that their Sonic is the "Prime" one and now we have a former writer/artist trying to claim that his fancharacter's are original creations and can pwn official characters with no effort at all?

This company and it's employees never fails to make me LOL.

• Thumbs Up 1