Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

First we have Archie trying to pretentiously force it's continuity on the rest of the series by claiming that all Sonic continuities are linked through the Cosmic Interstate and that their Sonic is the "Prime" one and now we have a former writer/artist trying to claim that his fancharacter's are original creations and can pwn official characters with no effort at all?

This company and it's employees never fails to make me LOL.

WHAT? When was this ever said and/or hinted?

Also, I wonder if it's possible for Ken to see this;

To put it bluntly, Ken is just making the same arguments over and over. He keeps saying "These are MY characters, they have nothing to do with SEGA, or Archie!" Which makes no sense considering that you are blatantly using the SEGA Echidna design. The dreadlocks, the muzzle, the nose, the eyes, all of it is SEGA's style for the Sonic characters, and it's absolutely retarded to think the design isn't based off of it. Just because you gave them a new coat of paint and horrid body structure doesn't mean a thing.

And plus, the original stories are if I'm right, owned by Archie. Making a continuation of them either means completely changing everything, or continuing the original story, which, again, is owned by Archie.

Archie owns the original stories, and the obvious borrowing of SEGA's echidna design.

This sort of means that your characters, and whatever story they are based in, have everything to do with Archie and SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

WHAT? When was this ever said and/or hinted?

In issue 40 of Sonic X, The Mobius Prime Shadow and Metal Sonic literally teleport into X's continuity. This outright states that there are alternate Sonic continuities in different 'universes', blatantly ignoring X's universe mechanics. Nothing in Sonic X even vaguely hints that there's a Mobius Prime in an alternate universe that would facilitate Shadow and Metal Sonic teleporting away from it into the X continuity.

Whatsmore, there were crossovers with the likes of the Sonic Anime and Underground via the 'magic' of the Cosmic Interstate, once again ignoring that this continuities have never ever even vaguely hinted within their universes that there's alternate Sonic universes through an Interstate.

It's pretentious and shows blatant disrespect for other continuities' takes on acknowledging other Sonic universes. Which they don't. Archie is forcing their continuity onto other continuities without rhyme or reason.

• Thumbs Up 6

Not Archie, Ken Penders. Ian just ran with it for the purpose of the Sonic X crossover as a send off to it, and for Scourge-Sonic-Zonic dealings. Ken was the one who tried to establish all continuities come from Archie.

I prefer to slightly retcon it in my head and say that Zonic is just crazy and meant to say Archie is prime to all Archie-related canons (Archie's Sonic X, the Scourge Zone, etc) while the Interstate can access many other equally prime canons. Like Fleetway.

(I did like the little apocrypha Ian gave us for the reason there won't be an Archie-Fleetway crossover: Archie's Dr.Nega severed the Interstate's connections to the Fleetway canon.)

• Thumbs Up 1

It's pretentious and shows blatant disrespect for other continuities' takes on acknowledging other Sonic universes. Which they don't. Archie is forcing their continuity onto other continuities without rhyme or reason.

Ok then. Let's see you make a "respectul" cross over of those canons then. Saying "they wouldn't cross over" is a cop out, and an admission of failure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rather than being angry about how Archie is "forcing" it's continuity on mediocre cancelled Sonic shows, I actually enjoy them as a nice serving of fanservice and don't take it seriously at all.

It just sounds like a really weak reason to antagonize Archie if you ask me.

Edited by Grooseinator032
  • Thumbs Up 9

Archie Sonic is the prime Zone, but that's only within the context of the Archie storyline which has no affect on the Games.

I think that people are reading into things a little too much.

Edited by Sheik
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, I'm failing to see how its "disrespect" for Archie to acknowledge older Sonic shows within its own continuity.

People should be grateful to actually see oldschool and scrapped characters like Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, Mighty, Ray, Nack/Fang, Bean, and Bark and various other elements and nods from the old games and shows still being utilize.

Boy, that is nothing to be nitpicky about indeed, I really love that their still getting some respect, whether it be small or large.

The main game universe is NEVER gonna be touched aside from short game adaptions meant to simply premote new games. I really don't get why the Sega purist are so extreme and dimwitted when it comes to this stuff.

• Thumbs Up 6

The people who work on Archie Sonic nowadays are fans of the Sonic games.

Ian, Tracy, and Paul Kaminski(the editor)grew up playing Sonic. So I don't think that they would ever try to be disrespectful on purpose.

As far as the whole primeverse thing goes it sounds like fans are ignoring the context of the story.

According to the last two episodes of Spider-Man the Animated series the comic canon(which is the original Spider-Man canon)is a spinoff world and not the prime verse. Heck he even goes to a world where Spider-Man is a work of fiction and a guy plays him on tv. He even meets Stan Lee.

Does this demean the Spider-Man comics in anyway? In my opinion it doesn't mean anything at all, it's just a story meant to entertain people which is the same thing that Archie Sonic is doing.

People should be grateful to actually see oldschool and scrapped characters like Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, Mighty, Ray, Nack/Fang, Bean, and Bark and various other elements and nods from the old games and shows still being utilize.

Boy, that is nothing to be nitpicky about indeed, I really love that their still getting some respect, whether it be small or large.

The main game universe is NEVER gonna be touched aside from short game adaptions meant to simply premote new games. I really don't get why the Sega purist are so extreme and dimwitted when it comes to this stuff.

I believe that it was Dan Slott who came up with the Sonic Prime thing, as he wrote the first "Zone Wars" story. Kinda amusing when you think about it, as Slott was a freelancer and only wrote a handful of stories for the Super Specials. He wasn't actual Archie staff. So with that in mind, I don't think "Archie's continuity is superior!" is what he was thinking when he wrote that story.

Ok then. Let's see you make a "respectul" cross over of those canons then. Saying "they wouldn't cross over" is a cop out, and an admission of failure.

Why? Why should he?

On the subject of alternate universes, I see it like this.

The Sonic X anime and the Sonic X comic are separate from each other; They are not part of the same continuity.

Archie's version of Planet Freedom is not the same universe as the Sonic OVA, even though it's clearly based on it. (Sera is a Princess rather than the President's daughter in Archie's version for example)

It's not really a crossover, but rather Archie making up a new sub-universe directly based on another continuity. It's really similar to a crossover, but not exactly the same thing.

On the subject of alternate universes, I see it like this.

The Sonic X anime and the Sonic X comic are separate from each other; They are not part of the same continuity.

It's not really a crossover, but rather Archie making up a new sub-universe directly based on another continuity. It's really similar to a crossover, but not exactly the same thing.

Except word of god says the comic series takes place directly between season 2 and 3 so....

Now, see, THAT would be a story arc. The Echidnas being shown as flawed, lazy, egotistical hypocrites.

So the commentor is asking Ken to make a Dark Leigon story arc based around his own experiences then?

Edited by Grooseinator032

Wow, KaosuReido's post was amazing and brilliantly executed. I think Ken's far too deep in it to turn around now though. He's dug his grave, and it's getting to be time for him to lie in it.

Except word of god says the comic series takes place directly between season 2 and 3 so....

Can I get an official quote on that? I've heard that before, but I chalked it up to fan speculation and nothing more.

The X comic doesn't really work as part of the same continuity as the anime; Particularly if the comic is after season 2, since Eggman makes his own "Eggman bill" currency in the anime (during season 2), yet seems unfamiliar with the concept of money in the comic. A lot of smaller things cause problems too, as far as them being the same continuity.

I've always seen them as different, but if anyone can provide me with official evidence to the contrary, I will certainly stand corrected.

Can I get an official quote on that? I've heard that before, but I chalked it up to fan speculation and nothing more.

The X comic doesn't really work as part of the same continuity as the anime; Particularly if the comic is after season 2, since Eggman makes his own "Eggman bill" currency in the anime (during season 2), yet seems unfamiliar with the concept of money in the comic. A lot of smaller things cause problems too, as far as them being the same continuity.

I've always seen them as different, but if anyone can provide me with official evidence to the contrary, I will certainly stand corrected.

I remember reading this, but this was about 3 or 4 years ago when Ian said it. His mind may have changed sometime or Ian may have not noticed this slight reference. The Sonic X comics started out by Joe Edkin who wasn't really all that aware of the Sonic mythos at all (I believe someone mentioned that Amy was flying in one of his issues), and had about three or so other writers as well. So who knows at this point whether it was Joe who set this up, either a SEGA mandate, or one of the other writers. The quote that I read came from Ian's forum in one of this Q&A months. There is an archive here, but I'm not even sure which one it was asked in and there's a lot of them to slog through, whether it was even asked in one of his Q&A threads, or what I remembered wasn't even specifically about the connocity of the comic vs the show, but I do remember reading something about this on BK. Sorry if I can't find the exact quote though.

As beautifully written as KaosuReido's comments were, ultimately it's going in one ear and out the other of an idiot. But kudos to him at least for telling Penders straight in his face what we're all thinking.

Why was there a cross over to begin with?

Why was there a cross over to begin with?

It was just a way to tie in the coming Sonic Universe Comics and wrap up the Sonic X universe on their end.

Btw, i thought it was all agreed that theres 2 different X universes?

Okay, this has been standing out to me for a few issues now, but having just read #232...

Does anyone else feel as though Bunnie and Antoine's dialogue feels a little stiff/ awkward/ unnatural at all? It's just that, given their respective accents, trying to rea the lines 'in their voice' just doesn't feel like it flows well, to me.

I think one of the biggest examples was from I think last issue (231)? When St. John interrupts, Antione says 'Shut ze face'. I don't know about anyone else, but personally I thought it'd would sound a lot more 'Antione-like' if he'd said something along the lines of "Please to be shutting your face" or something. D:

I know Ian said he finds Antoine hard to write since he doesn't really know any French, so I'm not gonna get on his back about it too much, but it does feel a little unfitting at times, I've found.

Also, regarding the whole issue of STH and SU being massively out of sync (what with Universe set after and referencing events that hadn't even happened in the main series at the time), I'd say this issue takes the cake; "See SU #37". Err, yeah. You mean that issue that isn't out for another month and a half, Archie? Bloody hell. D: